Will Mulan speak in Chinese?

not at all, that's really interesting! do you know the reason for the change?

I do not. The only thing I can figure is that Cantonese was (is still possibly) the most common form of Chinese spoke around the world.

Cantonese used to be the official language of China until here recently (by recently I mean like 15th century) where the government is trying to force mandarin upon everyone. Cantonese was the language that most of the royal families spoke.

Last edited:
I wouldn't assume that Mulan's friend is always Chinese or can speak any dialect of Chinese. Speaking English to the characters is the safe choice, but speaking to the CMs in the China pavilion will be fun. I would just ask what dialects they speak first.

What language did Pocahontas speak to you in? Other than English. Just curious..

I don't know what it is, or if it's even an actual language (pardon my ignorance, but seeing as Disney isn't exactly known for sticking to historic/cultural facts...) but some type of Native American. She said "hello"/wingapo, with the sign language, just like the scene in the movie where she's teaching John Smith.

While the original version of Mulan was written in Mandarin, the Disney version was depicted in Cantonese.

You can tell by them referring to her as "Fa" Mulan. Fa is the Cantonese pronunciation of Mulan's family name. In Mandarin it is pronounced "Hua".

So, if they stuck to the Disney version, Mulan would have to speak Cantonese to "stay in character".

ETA: I just realised that this comes off as a know it all, smarty pants comment. That wasn't the intention at all, just a fun bit of trivia I know and wanted to share.

wow I didn't know that. thanks for the trivia.

and I didnt' think it was "know it all, smarty pants" at all. It came across as helpful.

They said the same thing to a little boy in front of us who greeted them & then hid behind his mother. :rotfl: He actually said "hi nao," but that was okay. They didn't embarrass him. "His accent is perfect! Are you sure he isn't Chinese?! We'd never know!" The compliment made him so happy, and they wrote something special on his Duffy stick.

OP, if your daughter would like to practice her speaking with them, I'm sure they would make her feel very special.

thanks, we are practicing and will definitely try with Mulan. And definitely with the CMs.

not at all, that's really interesting! do you know the reason for the change?

My guess is that Disney chose the easier English pronunciation for Mulan's last name. "Fa" is much easier to say than "Hua", especially for young kids. For those of you who like Hong Kong films, the director John Woo changed his last name from "Ng" (Hong Kong cantonese) to "Woo" (mandarin--"Wu") for the same reason.

My guess is that Disney chose the easier English pronunciation for Mulan's last name. "Fa" is much easier to say than "Hua", especially for young kids. For those of you who like Hong Kong films, the director John Woo changed his last name from "Ng" (Hong Kong cantonese) to "Woo" (mandarin--"Wu") for the same reason.
Spiffy, that makes sense.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter