Will they deduct credits for kids under 3 at buffets and Fam style TS?

molly2004

DIS Veteran
I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the thread with the search tool.

What do you do when you have kids under 3 in your party? The boys will be a month shy of their 3rd b-day so we will not be getting them DDP. They'll be sharing my and DH's meals, but I'm afraid that at family style meal places and buffets, servers will deduct credits from our account thinking they are on DDP when we didn't purchase one for them. I figure I'll have to watch the account like a hawk to make sure the right number of credits have been deducted.

Do I need to provide proof of age? What would you bring for proof? The boys are big for their age so I'm afraid the servers will think they're older.

Please advise!

Thanks!

I know I've read that under 3 can eat free, even buffets...I would just make sure to tell the cm that they are under 3. It also shows on your card how many children are on the ddp so you should be ok.

You probably don't need proof of age, but I'm a very conscientious guy, so we were sure to have some with us for our DN1.5 (who looks at least 4 y/o).

It is never a bad idea to have proof of age. I've never had to show it--just tell them, but I also had an almost 3 who could easily pass for 5.

Why not just make a copy of the birth certificate and tuck it in your wallet just to be safe. It won't be as hard to watch the credits as you think. If there are 2 of you eating on the plan and a 2 year old eating free, your receipt should show 2 TS being used. This should only be an issue at family style or buffet restaurants. At restaurants where you order from a menu, you will order 2 adult entrees and the child will share off your plate .On the CS and snacks, you will buy the 2 and just share with the 2 year old.

You will not need proof of age. In fact, the fact that you won't have them on the dinining plan is "proof" they are under 3. It is not Disney Policy to question ages of children.

Just make sure your server knows (with our with out the plan) and be sure to check your receipt just in case.

TS that isn't all you can eat, you can pay cash for. (same with CS.)

Also, if they do mess up the bill and accidently charge for the two under 3's - if you don't have the time or inclination (or don't notice until a later time) to have the restaurant change it - your hotel will be happy to make the necessary corrections and credit back any misappropriated credits.

With all this talk about credits being pooled, I wasn't sure that the servers would be able to tell adult credits from child credits. Also glad for the tip that the hotel can fix the credit issue after the fact.

Thanks everyone!

molly2004 said:
With all this talk about credits being pooled, I wasn't sure that the servers would be able to tell adult credits from child credits.

They won't be able to tell because there is no such thing as an adult or children's credit, just TS credits. Just double check when you receive your receipt to make sure you were charged the proper amount of credits.

The information systems currently don't keep separate pools for the credits purchased for adults from the credits purchased for children. This is, of course, subject to change.

You shouldn't have a problem. They always ask the age of the kids when we're seated and then they'll proceed to tell you that your little ones can eat for free.

I believe they also have on your room key 2A, 1C if you have 2 adults and one child. So if you have no kids on the plan, it would be 2A only on the card.

Now if you eat at a place that has a menu, they'll probably assume you'll pay for your little ones with cash or charge it to the room (for anything you buy for your little ones).

When I made my ADR's last year for myself, DH and DS2.5, his age was in the system so all of our ADR's indicated that he was under 3. I mentioned it at CP, CRT and CM, but all the servers were very polite and said it was noted on the ticket, and we would not be charged, so he should "eat away!!" :goodvibes . We never had a problem with credits being deducted.

PS: DS was 37" tall at that point and talks like an adult, not a toddler and we were never questioned about his age anywhere.

Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter