• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will TOTD be too much for a sharkphobic?

Donnababe

Trying To Find My Happy Place
I last went to Orlando 10 years ago but didn't go to Seaworld because of the sharks :rolleyes: It was a major thing for me when I had my photo taken under the shark at Universal! :o I will never to the Jaws ride though.

My phobia has lessened over the years and we have planned Seaworld as part of our trip in a few weeks time...

I think I'll be able to cope to a certain extent but if there are any BIG Bruce's in TOTD I'm not going to have fun...

So, as a general rule how big are they and how close do they appear? :(

Is there anything else i should be wary of elsewhere in the park?

Thanks in advance.

If u are talking about shark encounter it can be pretty intense i think for someone with a phobia or fear the sharks are pretty close and some also very fiercesome looking i enjoyed it though if that helps:jester:

well done Donna babe for having your picture taken with the jaws at universal, we just back from the sealife centre at hunstanton , my mum had to guide me (age 30, eyes closed) through the shark tank! I was physically shaking!!!!!

Is it possible to go to Seaworld and completely avoid seeing even one shark - I do not want to spend my whole day worrying about whether I will see one, I can just about handle a picture, but not the real things! Thing is I feel silly, there's a group of about 12 of us, and they all want to go to seaworld, my kids too, but I can't do it, not if I cannot avoid the sharks.

Originally posted by wward0411
well done Donna babe for having your picture taken with the jaws at universal, we just back from the sealife centre at hunstanton , my mum had to guide me (age 30, eyes closed) through the shark tank! I was physically shaking!!!!!

I feel for you. I was like that 10 years ago on my previous visit to Universal. I kept making hubby walk ahead to see if the shark was nearby! :eek: :o

BTW, we love Hunstanton! We've holidayed there a lot over the past couple of years. I can manage the Sealife Centre if I'm in the right frame of mind but you know the US of A, everything is bigger and the thought of really big sharks is not appealing.

I desperately wanted to see Finding Nemo at the cinema but waited until the DVD release... The first time I watched it, it was awful, I hated the shark scenes, especially the chase bit... (it's only Bruce that freaks me BTW) I love FN now but I still avoid the chase part :o

Thanks for the help! :sunny:

Originally posted by wward0411

I feel for you. I was like that 10 years ago on my previous visit to Universal. I kept making hubby walk ahead to see if the shark was nearby! :eek: :o

BTW, we love Hunstanton! We've holidayed there a lot over the past couple of years. I can manage the Sealife Centre if I'm in the right frame of mind but you know the US of A, everything is bigger and the thought of really big sharks is not appealing.

I desperately wanted to see Finding Nemo at the cinema but waited until the DVD release... The first time I watched it, it was awful, I hated the shark scenes, especially the chase bit... (it's only Bruce that freaks me BTW) I love FN now but I still avoid the chase part :o

Thanks for the help! :sunny:

Unless u go to shark encounter u will not see sharks so u can see SW without bumping into Jaws:jester:

No probs have a great time we love SW and not just for the free beer:jester:

Terrors of the Deep is a walk through exhibit with fish in aquariums and stuff first. It's kind of dark with creepy music. Then, you have to walk through the halls with shark skeletons hanging on the walls and fromt he ceiling. They hallways are filled with facts and interesting stuff.

For the actual shark veiwing part you stand on a sidewalk as it moves you through the aquarium. Picture a tunnel, where two can people fit side by side, on a moving sidewalk that is the whole floor, the railings that go up to about mid thigh, and then there is a plexiglass arch over you.

It's still darkish, but the creepy music is over by this point, so all you hear are the ooos and ahhhs of everyone around you. "Look, look, look at that - oh wow, that's so cool - did you see that one??" It is quiet peacful as the sharks swim quietly around.

The sharks and other marine life swim all around and yes, sometimes over you. One time, there was this shark with a "chainsaw" snout laying/sleeping on top of the arch. I sincerely find it very quiet and calm, even though my first time in I was quite nervous!! I really enjoy it now and my 4yo niece who is afraid of almost EVERYTHING asked to do again and again.

But - if you decide it's not for you, that is the only place you'd see them. There was an aquarium outside, but you have to walk up to the building to see. You can easily walk by without seeing them!

HTH,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter