• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will WDW lift mask mandate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiporee

DIS Veteran
Orange County is starting to sound like they will lift their mask mandate in the coming weeks. Although Florida never had a statewide mandate, most minicipalities required some sort of covering. But those are starting to be lifted all over the state.

Without getting into the personal philosophy of mask usage, vaccine politics or COVID in general, when do you think WDW follow suit? Will they stop the requirement as soon as Orange County does, or will they wait a few more weeks? Or will they require masks into the summer or beyond?

The same thing with attendance and line distancing? If Florida lifts all restrictions, and Orange County does the same, how long will it take before Disney gets back to its normal operating procedures?

I think they'll be more conservative than the county, so maybe another week or two after OC for masks, and then attendance creeps back up through June, with full attendance in July. If that's the case, they'll start talking about the return of FPs at the end of March, with availability starting in June.

I also think they'll reconsider getting rid of DME. A lot of decisions/speculation was made becuase we thought some degree of COVID adaptationw as going to go on forever. While that might have been the smart way to think in September, I think the country is going to be fundamentally restriction free by the end of July, and instead of this being something that changes the world forever, it will be a bad, horrible, disastrous memory that people will be anxious to move past as quickly as they can.

Last edited:

They just restricted it more. So no, not anytime soon. Disney is not trying to please constituents they are trying to run a company, safely.

And Disney follows CDC recommendations more than Orange county policy really. However I DO think they will take the opportunity to increase park and ride capacity and open restaurants, attractions, venues, etc. as much as they feel they can do safely to increase revenue.

Last edited:
I see what you're all saying, but I think if OC lefts its mandate, Sea World will do the same fast. Universal maybe a little slower, but if the other two theme parks in town are lifted -- and the general population starts thinking of COVID as "over" -- I think it will be hard for WDW to the the exception for very long.

If masks aren't required in May, would it change your opinion about going?

I expect masks probably through july but at that point most people will be vaccinated and some type international of ‘cordon sanitare’ or vaccine passport will exist driven by covid but will probably include specific vaccinations required by each country.

When I went to India i got the full WHO series and felt like a pincushion for weeks.

i imagine things like that will be part of any vaccine passport.

I don't see any of the major theme parks dropping masks; partially they don't want people to feel unsafe and until the Unions agree with them you won't see it - besides the guest safety the safety of the Cast Members at Disney is important as well. I 100% agree with @Brett Wyman - Disney will follow the CDC and part of the reason is to avoid lawsuits too.

So do most of you feel that masks will be necessary (and required) even AFTER all have an opportunity to get vaccinated (notice I didn't say 'all are vaccinated' because many appear to oppose getting the vaccine)?

So do most of you feel that masks will be necessary (and required) even AFTER all have an opportunity to get vaccinated (notice I didn't say 'all are vaccinated' because many appear to oppose getting the vaccine)?
Yes, I think they will still be required, at least indoors. I'm glad this thread has, so far, been free of personal philosophy; this makes a much more interesting and helpful discussion.

I know some people who said three months ago they could never see themselves going out in public without a mask ever again, so I think there will be a segment of the population that wears masks regardless of the external situations. But I don't think most people will. I think most people will lose the masks as soon as they are allowed to lose them, and even something like social distancing will fade by the end of the summer.

Fauci recently estimated kids won’t have vaccine access until first half 2022. So until that happens all do not have an opportunity to get vaccinated.

Fauci recently estimated kids won’t have vaccine access until first half 2022. So until that happens all do not have an opportunity to get vaccinated.

That's the crux of it for me, personally. Every adult in our family should be fully vaccinated by the end of May, however, DS13 will not. If the CDC still recommends wearing masks to protect those under 16 who can't, as of yet, be vaccinated, I will continue to wear a mask until recommendations say otherwise. I am waiting anxiously for updated guidance. There appears to be optimism that we reach herd immunity sometime this summer, so that would be awesome!

Where is Orange County lifting its mandate?
this article says they won’t even consider it till 50% are vaccinated March 4th OC mask update

and the CDC and other doctors know that the vaccine only prevents moderate:severe infection- ***you can still spread covid after vaccinations to other people*** read this article about why You should act as if your not vaccinated

A vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting infected or being infectious -- it just prevents you from becoming critically ill. We don't even know yet how this effect lasts, or whether it will be effective against new strains. One of them isn't effective against the South African strain, but there about another 200 in trials right now.

I agree with the people above -- Disney will be cautious to preserve their reputation, to protect their workers, and to prevent lawsuits.

DME is just gone. You can always take a Minnie Van for $150 each way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter