Will we ever see WDW add a major non-IP attraction again?

KingLlama

DIS Veteran
I realize there might be a better forum for this specific question, but this particular forum has, IMO, the most insightful and knowledgeable WDW fans, so I thought I'd post it here.

Some of the most well-loved WDW attractions are ones that aren't attached to any particular character or film: Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Soarin', IASW, Haunted Mansion, etc.

But every single major attraction that WDW has announced is on the way is tied to an IP. And that got me thinking....will we ever see a new major attraction again that isn't?

I just did some rudimentary research*. These are the last major non-IP attractions that have been added to each park:

Epcot....Soarin'(2005)
Animal Kingdom....Expedition Everest(2006)
Hollywood Studios....Rock n' Roller Coaster(1999)
Magic Kingdom....Big Thunder Mountain Railroad(1980)

That last one blows my mind. The park with the most/best non-IP attractions hasn't added one in nearly 40 years!

I completely understand why Disney is reluctant to add non-IP attractions. People want to ride their favorite shows/movies. I just wonder if/when there will ever be another completely original idea for a WDW attraction.

*My research was so rudimentary that someone out there might have a correction. Feel free to do so.

I was curious about this too so I looked at the list of Shanghai attractions to see what they are based on. It looks like every attraction there is based on either IP or an existing Disney Parks attraction.

I don’t think Rivers of light has an IP associated with it but in general has been met with pretty poor reception (although I actually liked it) which wasn’t helped by a massive delay.

It seems like they are demonstrating a pretty risk averse strategy because of the amount of capital it takes to build a new attraction from scratch.

Going by your list, it shows that when they do stray from IP it tends to be in the form of a thrill ride that is aimed at taking market share from Universal.

As for "major" attraction I don't think we will see anything anytime soon - if we look at the D23 meeting when talking about the changes to EPCOT, they specifically cited "More Disney" - that means using the IP that Disney owns that you can's see in other parks

I could see small things - and, while not an attraction, the announced Space Restaurant for EPCOT isn't a specific IP, so something is possible

Now this is a great question.

I think none-IP stuff is gonna be restaurants and shops for a while. But if anyone can get Disney to do a non-IP attraction, it's gonna be Joe Rohde. But I don't see it happening anytime soon.

I realize there might be a better forum for this specific question, but this particular forum has, IMO, the most insightful and knowledgeable WDW fans, so I thought I'd post it here.

Some of the most well-loved WDW attractions are ones that aren't attached to any particular character or film: Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Soarin', IASW, Haunted Mansion, etc.

But every single major attraction that WDW has announced is on the way is tied to an IP. And that got me thinking....will we ever see a new major attraction again that isn't?

I just did some rudimentary research*. These are the last major non-IP attractions that have been added to each park:

Epcot....Soarin'(2005)
Animal Kingdom....Expedition Everest(2006)
Hollywood Studios....Rock n' Roller Coaster(1999)
Magic Kingdom....Big Thunder Mountain Railroad(1980)

That last one blows my mind. The park with the most/best non-IP attractions hasn't added one in nearly 40 years!

I completely understand why Disney is reluctant to add non-IP attractions. People want to ride their favorite shows/movies. I just wonder if/when there will ever be another completely original idea for a WDW attraction.

*My research was so rudimentary that someone out there might have a correction. Feel free to do so.
LOL Never!

Doubtful at the moment - there definitely seems a big push to add IP attractions to the parks. I don't think this is a bad thing, I'm especially excited for Star Wars. But I don't think we'll see any non-IP stuff for a while

If only. I would love to see some original Imagineer ideas come to life but I think there is a real fear of trying something original because many people will not "get it" and also a valid knowing that pre-established ideas will bring in people.

Most non-IP attractions have a major sponsor attached to them. With Disney being such a huge company now, the need for sponsors footing the bill is lessened.

Sadly I think this is going to be the way for WDW and the other parks.
I think the first big sign was Frozen being included World Showcase and Epcot.
Once that became accepted everyone just wanted related to whatever country and Disney Movie IP linked together.
I personally didn't want this for Epcot and felt that it was what made the park so unique.
I also feel that it kind of just becomes easy and lacks imagination and creativity, well to some extent.

I love the Haunted Mansion and Everest, their queues feel very immersive. I think Everest is under-appreciated, the level of detail to the area and the queue is amazing.
I'd love to see what some of the imagineers ideas are that are not based around present IP.

I love seeing Disney Memorabilia like the Haunted Mansion Busts that only park fans would get, rather than it just being from one of the many movies.

I don't think Disney or Universal will put non-IP attractions in place at any of their parks in the coming future. What gets more crowds through the gate a Star Wars / Harry Potter / Nintendo / Toy Story themed ride or a mythical creature or Roman warrior ride (two random thoughts that came to mind, not that these are in plans anywhere)?

Most non-IP attractions have a major sponsor attached to them. With Disney being such a huge company now, the need for sponsors footing the bill is lessened.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. It's either IP or corporate sponsorship that direct the attractions and their concepts. Rare are the attractions who don't have one or the other

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. It's either IP or corporate sponsorship that direct the attractions and their concepts. Rare are the attractions who don't have one or the other
The days of corporate sponsorship are pretty much gone. Very few attractions have it or need it. I don’t think an attraction needs a sponsor in order to get built either. Everest (the last non-IP ride) doesn’t have a sponsor and didn’t need one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter