Will you cruise if face masks are required on board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are still hoping for our May 2021 cruise with or without masks. If the estimates are correct, the majority of the country will have the vaccine available by early spring. The question might be, will DCL require proof of vaccination and/or masks?

I am in Europe and the rollout has been extremely slow. I doubt that even a 1/3 will get vaccinated before the summer. I hope you are right but first it has to be available and people need to actually get it. I think it will be another long year of this.

I have a 4 night cruise on the Dream booked for April. If it's a go (which I'm highly doubting) I would go masks or not. I also have an NCL Hawaiian cruise booked for July, to make up for last summer's bucket list Hawaii trip that got canceled. I would also do that if it sails, mask or not.

We did a long weekend trip to WDW this August and again a couple weeks ago. Of course I don't love wearing the mask, and I'd prefer everything were normal, but if something that simple can get me out traveling, living life again, I'm more than willing to suck it up and enjoy vacations!

I think masks will be required for the foreseeable future, most definitely on cruises....when they head back out, which I think is going to be awhile. If there are masks on board, I would think that social distancing will be required, and that certain shows/amenities will be cut. So I wouldn't cruise.

But I also wouldn't go to a foreign country if most of the museums and sights were closed, because...that's why we travel. I don't know, I was hoping to get a vaccine by late spring so we could possibly take a big trip to South Africa that we moved from May 2020 to August of 2021. I know it's early days in the vaccine rollout, but it's not off to the best start. Hopefully it will pick up momentum. If we were vaccinated and South Africa is able to contain their pandemic, we would think about traveling. The land portion of our trip was non-refundable because we were too close to departure. We were able to get the money for our flights back. If we do get the vaccine....I wouldn't book the flights until very close to departure.

I would prefer not to, but we booked our upcoming June cruise using rented DVC points so if the cruise is happening we’re going

Sure. I’m so used to it now. I’ll do anything to go back on a cruise ship as soon as possible. Masks, covid tests, vaccines...

EDIT: We have booked balconies on all our 2021 cruises, so we can socially distance even more!

We are still hoping for our May 2021 cruise with or without masks. If the estimates are correct, the majority of the country will have the vaccine available by early spring. The question might be, will DCL require proof of vaccination and/or masks?
I would say May 2021 isn't likely either. First, Disney hasn't even applied to do test cruises yet. They have to do that two months in advance of the cruise. With Christmas and New Year's holiday now, I don't expect them to submit a proposal until January which means the first test cruise couldn't happen until March. Lord knows how long it would take them to evacuate how that cruise went and decide to move forward.
Second, they did hope to START giving the vaccine to the rest of the country by the second quarter (April, May June) but that was before they discovered the Federal Government only ordered 40% of the vaccine they thought they had ordered. Since we are only 12 days into the highest tier starting to get their vaccines, too soon to tell what is any other hangups or surprises are ahead on the vaccine front. https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-covid-19-vaccine-when-will-it-be-available-for-you-11606339361

I just would not be willing to spend the money on travel if I have to wear a mask. As a previous poster wrote, I would consider it a diminished experience. I wear one grudgingly now and only when I have to (indoors at a place of business or if social distancing is not possible outside). It still bothers me and I refuse to get used to it. This is just not normal. It may be what we have to do to help get the spread under control but I am limiting my activities and don't think that travel is worth it at this time.

Yes. I’m a first grade teacher in Phoenix. I wear one every day, all day and did so when it was 115 outside. It’s no big deal now. But... I agree a drastically reduced experience might be enough for me to cancel. We sail (hopefully, the third rebooking) a year from tomorrow, so not a cheap time to go!

I believe in masks and social distancing - this is not a complaint about wearing masks. More a desire to spend my money wisely and not on a cruise with restrictions if I can wait a year and go without masks/distancing. I have a Med Cruise booked for July and was hoping - wishfully thinking! - that cruising might be possible without masks and distancing if vaccinations happen quickly for the general population.

I know what the right answer is for me and my pocketbook. Curious about y'all: Will you cruise this year if masks are required on board?
No.

Yes. I’m a first grade teacher in Phoenix. I wear one every day, all day and did so when it was 115 outside. It’s no big deal now. But... I agree a drastically reduced experience might be enough for me to cancel. We sail (hopefully, the third rebooking) a year from tomorrow, so not a cheap time to go!

DH and i were supposed to be on the Wonder on the west coast 3 months ago (in october)..
and DH and i and our kids and grandkids are scheduled on the Dream this summer, but we've cancelled our trip to WDW, so we either have to cancel the dream or move the reservation.

I was going to cancel and get a refund, but maybe i'll wait for the summer 2022 schedule.
I just saw that commercial that the Wish will sail in summer 2022 - which i find really hard to believe - but i wonder if we could book that.
In any case, i wish they'd come out with summer 2022, so i can decide what to do - rebook or cancel for refund.

I’m in the same “boat” as some of the others. For the foreseeable future I wouldn’t cruise without a mask requirement. But in reality, I don’t think we’ll book another cruise until we can enjoy indoor dining, see the shows, and feel good about leaving our kids in the clubs.

We are mask wearers, but taking a cruise with masks, social distancing, and significantly-reduced on-board experiences and shore excursion options is a non-starter for us. We are booked b2b2b on the Magic for Norwegian Fjords, British Isles, and Westbound TA in September and also booked b2b on the Wonder from Vancouver-Hawaii-Vancouver in April/May 2022. We will decide in early May about the September cruises, as our original PIF dates start arriving, but we are prepared to drop this trip. We would not do the European portion without the TA part. These cruises were booked with placeholders so we would lose discounts, but it’s not worth the roughly $18K just to benefit from the 10% off pricing. We’re pretty optimistic that we’ll be able to do the Hawaii cruises in spring 2022. If not, we may never be back to cruising.

We have also done multiple Viking River cruises. They have announced their “cruiser rules” that will be in place when they resume sailing. No chance we will be booking another one of those cruises until circumstances change. It’s too much money to not have the social interaction and city-touring flexibility that are a routine part of the river cruising experience. Why dock right down town if you can only leave the ship as part of an organized tour group?

I would say May 2021 isn't likely either. First, Disney hasn't even applied to do test cruises yet. They have to do that two months in advance of the cruise. With Christmas and New Year's holiday now, I don't expect them to submit a proposal until January which means the first test cruise couldn't happen until March. Lord knows how long it would take them to evacuate how that cruise went and decide to move forward.
Second, they did hope to START giving the vaccine to the rest of the country by the second quarter (April, May June) but that was before they discovered the Federal Government only ordered 40% of the vaccine they thought they had ordered. Since we are only 12 days into the highest tier starting to get their vaccines, too soon to tell what is any other hangups or surprises are ahead on the vaccine front. https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-covid-19-vaccine-when-will-it-be-available-for-you-11606339361

My guess is the cruise lines are waiting until after January 20th before they do anything.

My guess is the cruise lines are waiting until after January 20th before they do anything.
A reasonable opinion. We can't get into politics here, but IMHO it will be tougher for them to restart cruising after January 20th with the way the cases are exploding.

We're very pro-mask but my answer is no. We aren't going to be able to relax if we're worried about getting sick. In our house we're all higher risk. If masks are required that means there's still virus spreading and we would spend the whole time worrying about getting sick.

I also think the cruise lines are waiting until after January 20th to see if the rules change.

Our May, 2020 cruise was cancelled, so we rebooked the same cruise for May, 2021. We thought things would for sure be somewhat normal by then. Fast forward to now, and the March cruises next up to be cancelled. Our kids do not want to be stuck on the ship wearing masks, social distancing and having restrictions on entertainment and excursions. Not to mention getting quarantined to our cabins. We have decided to cancel - $9000 is too much to spend for a partial cruise. It is heartbreaking, but the right thing for us right now.

We did book a short cruise on the dream for early January, 2022. Fingers crossed things are more normal the !
In the same situation with May 2020 canceled, rebooked to November 2020 canceled, and rebooked to May 2021. With the cruise lines likely not sailing until at least March or April, we canceled our May cruise but extended our WDW trip to encompass those days. I’m fine with masks; they’re a part of our lives here in CT.

For us, the cost was too steep to not have the full experience with characters, tea party, etc. I also don’t want to be one of the early cruisers because I’m not comfortable with it for myself and my family. Hoping for my family to return to cruising in 2022.

No. I'm pro mask but there are other vacation destinations where I can have longer breaks from the mask while still enjoying myself than I can on a cruise (presumably in room only, maybe in pool...which I don't use). I wear a kn95 all day for work, and a face shield for 45-90 minutes a day at work, so while I'm used to it, I'd prefer a little more flexibility for comfort sake on vacation.

I also agree with others that the even bigger deal breaker would be the overall diminished experience with potentially reduced entertainment and such.

Currently we are booked to cruise again in spring 2022. We had an April 2020 cruise canceled and we have canceled our April 2021 cruise. I'm feeling less confident that we will actually be getting on the ship in 2022 by the day, but time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter