Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2022 (Nov. 3-6, 2022)

I liked the original W&D theme and medals where the event was the theme, not a rotating set of IP. I love the 40th anniversary idea and the extinct attractions, let's hope that is the way they go.

This is a great idea. I really hope they do this. The medals should evoke the icons of long-ago cherished rides that no longer exist, like Horizons, World of Motion, and Journey Into Imagination
The 2017 was inspired by it being Epcot’s 35th with the theme being about taking a trip around world showcase (10k & half medals were luggage tag inspired while the challenge was a passport invoking old logos and the kids race was figment)

I liked the original W&D theme and medals where the event was the theme, not a rotating set of IP. I love the 40th anniversary idea and the extinct attractions, let's hope that is the way they go.

Agreed. It's the "Wine & Dine" race, the theme should be... Wine & Dine! As in: Epcot Food and Wine Festival, and Chef Mickey.

I really didn't like the Villains overlay/takeover of Wine & Dine weekend. It made no sense. Give villains their own race series, don't just usurp and throw away the traditional Wine & Dine theme. The original race focus on visiting Epcot during the food and wine 'festival-that-is-more-like-a-party' is what made it one-of-a-kind.

And the Wine & Dine Half medal featured Mickey since 2013... until they changed it to Villains. Bring back Mickey!

We shall see what 2022 holds.

My mom has been asking to do a weekend getaway this fall so I immediately thought maybe we can go for w&d. However, the villains don’t really do it for me. Any idea when the theme gets announced? Is it before registration? 🤞

My mom has been asking to do a weekend getaway this fall so I immediately thought maybe we can go for w&d. However, the villains don’t really do it for me. Any idea when the theme gets announced? Is it before registration? 🤞
Yeah you should know about the theme before registration. If you look at the main race page for last year, or the registration announcement on social channels, they made it clear that they were going with a villains theme, along with an indication as to which characters would be on the medals.

As for when the theme is announced? No idea. The late registration for last year (July) threw things for a loop, but before that I think registration was generally in March or April? It's something to just keep an eye out for.

Yeah you should know about the theme before registration. If you look at the main race page for last year, or the registration announcement on social channels, they made it clear that they were going with a villains theme, along with an indication as to which characters would be on the medals.

As for when the theme is announced? No idea. The late registration for last year (July) threw things for a loop, but before that I think registration was generally in March or April? It's something to just keep an eye out for.
Thank you very much! I know the "when will registration be?" question gets asked a lot and no one really knows. I'll keep an eye out for announcements.

As much as I don't like the villains theme I wouldn't let it keep you from doing the weekend. W&D is a great race weekend, my favorite, and even though I wasn't a huge fan of the 2018 theme and medals I still loved the event. I admit that I generally don't let the medal or "theme" make decisions for me, I base the races I'll do mostly on the location and course and if it is a cool medal that is a bonus.

As much as I don't like the villains theme I wouldn't let it keep you from doing the weekend.
Agree completely. I really liked the Chef Mickey themes and really disliked the villain theme. In spite of that I had a great time running W&D HM for the fifth time last year.

As much as I don't like the villains theme I wouldn't let it keep you from doing the weekend. W&D is a great race weekend, my favorite, and even though I wasn't a huge fan of the 2018 theme and medals I still loved the event. I admit that I generally don't let the medal or "theme" make decisions for me, I base the races I'll do mostly on the location and course and if it is a cool medal that is a bonus.
Great point. I've run princess twice and I'm also not much of a princess fan either.

I am curious though, why is this your favorite weekend?

Agree completely. I really liked the Chef Mickey themes and really disliked the villain theme. In spite of that I had a great time running W&D HM for the fifth time last year.
What keeps you coming back to run every year? I've never been to w&d but have run the Jan and Feb races.

Great point. I've run princess twice and I'm also not much of a princess fan either.

Mostly because I love F&W and think the after party is a great perk. It was way better as a night race where you finished into your party but since that isn't an option any longer I'll take what I can get.

It is also generally a good time of year to be in FL and it is nice to have something to look forward to just after Halloween before the rest of the holiday festivities begin.

What keeps you coming back to run every year? I've never been to w&d but have run the Jan and Feb races.

W&D is my favorite too!
It was our first RunDisney weekend in 2017 and we've been back every year.

- I love the TCC start - not as much walking
- Half course hits 3 parks
- In my experience, shorter character lines
- More varied themes/feature characters than Princess or MW
- After party is a fun cap to the weekend
- In general, for me, it has a more fun, party vibe than the other weekends. Maybe because there's just a half and not a full looming at the end of it!
- Up until 2021, I'd also say consistent, predictable weather 😆

I don’t have a lot to compare it to as I’ve run W&D twice and the now-defunct Star Wars Dark Side weekend once. But, I love W&D! It’s a good time of year for decent weather in FL and I love being able to visit F&W while I’m there. The after party is a lot of fun, getting the runner drink at the end of the day for the toast around world showcase is a special moment. And, even though I don’t stop for characters, I love that you get so see some unique ones along the route.
Like others, I don’t really get the villains connection other than it sort of being near Halloween. But, I don’t hate the theming either. Villains are cool and provide some interesting variety. But, I’m glad I ran it once with the chef mickey theming.

If anyone is interested in knowing, there are still several DVC rooms available for this weekend. I just looked at my account. The only thing not available at AKL was the values and club levels (no surprise). Does anyone know when they start selling out?

I prefer the Wine & Dine (and Star Wars, back when that was a thing) half course! Yeah, there's no castle but I think the course overall is more entertaining.

Also I really prefer going to Disney when a festival is happening at Epcot. Food and Wine (for Wine & Dine, obviously), or Flower and Garden (for the April race). Sometimes a festival is happening during Princess weekend, but not this year (unless they suddenly decide to extend Festival of the Arts, or start F&G early!).

Several things as others have mentioned.
  • The weather is usually good for both running and for exploring the parks
  • The training cycle is summer/fall. For Marathon Weekend the training cycle is fall/winter. So for those of us living where there is a lot of snow and ice a fall race is easier to train for.
  • Although Epcot has sorta turned into a 52 week food booth park, I enjoy the booths during Wine & Dine the most.
  • Our family has gone to Disney in October/November for 20 years so the timing just seems normal to us.

Thank you everyone for your replies! It was a lot of fun reading about your experiences.

I do wish I could have experienced the night race but I typically go to bed around 8:30 so the morning races might actually be easier on my sleep cycle 😮

Having a different course also attracts me. Sure, I cried tears of joy down main street this Jan but it would be fun to mix it up.

Plus I've never been to food and wine so that's another good reason to go check this race out.

The only comment that concerns me is the training in the summer bit. I run year round so it wouldn't be unusual for me to train in August but I was looking forward to taking it easy this summer. I actually find the timing of marathon weekend to be perfect for Iowa. We typically get our first snow in November but my city is pretty good at clearing the bike paths that I run. Plus, the temp doesn't really drop around here until Jan or Feb when we'll have a few stretches that don't get above 0F. I used to belong to the local YMCA and I definitely used the indoor track way more in the summer to avoid the heat than in the winter.

Decisions, decisions... At least I have a few more weeks to decide 😊

The only comment that concerns me is the training in the summer bit. I run year round so it wouldn't be unusual for me to train in August but I was looking forward to taking it easy this summer.

For me, this is the major downside to W&D. The worst of the summer weather is Aug and Sept here and usually I cut mileage waaaay back during the summer. Having to build up a little base and actually start training during the heat is just not fun and I have to run so slow just to keep my HR from being insane. At least by the time the long runs start getting truly long, the mornings are more tolerable. This year, I was starting from some of the lowest volume months I have run in years so I planned to take walk breaks at aid stations, and I did that during training (about every 1.5 miles). It made for a gentler HM training cycle and helped a lot for accommodating the high temps.

Living in Texas, November is definitely early in my training cycle to participate in a race where I'm gunning for a PR or otherwise attempting to achieve a peak performance. I've only done one RD race (and it was W&D in 2017--which was great!) but I took that race as more of a "fun" run where I was stopping for characters and not worrying about my pace or my clock time. For me, the cost of a Disney vacation, coupled with the high cost of these races (which are WAY more expensive than any other races I participate in), dictates that I need to be getting the full experience and not literally "racing" through the course to the finish. I treated (and plan to treat 2022 if all things go according to plan) like a training run for a January/February "peak" or "A" race.

As far as W&D happening at night, even taking the run as a fun run I still get pretty sweaty and gross (and leg-weary) after running for 13+ miles. There is a definite "coolness" factor to finishing the race, meeting up with you family/friends and rolling right into the after party. But I will relish going back to the hotel and getting a shower and maybe even taking a nap before getting back into a park!

The timing of the training period pre-race works out so much better for me than marathon or princess weekends. I find it so much easier to get long miles in fall than winter. Last year I started adding about a mile a week in mid September to my 5 mile base. Plus, more hours of daylight means I can run regularly after work. In Oklahoma, that time of year typically means not too hot or cold for me.

Also, the party really helps justify the weekend trip for me. Now if I only I were good at napping during the day between the race and the party. I’ve just generally had too much adrenaline to do it, I think.

I did kinda like the villains theme, but to be honest I appreciate my 2019 Mickey medal and shirt a little bit more. That could of course b/c that was my first ever half marathon and I also wasn’t freezing or soaked.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter