• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2023 (Nov. 2-5, 2023)

I am confused by the pace group information and hope that @DopeyBadger or someone else might be able to help. Chris Twiggs is in the lead pace group with a finish time of 1:45 and a pace of 8:00 and a ratio of 4:00/30. However, wouldn't one only get a 1:45 at a 8:00/mile pace if you're running without walk breaks? Unless my math is wrong, a 4:00/30 at a 8 min/mile pace should finish in 1:58. If I am wrong, please help me understand the math.

I am confused by the pace group information and hope that @DopeyBadger or someone else might be able to help. Chris Twiggs is in the lead pace group with a finish time of 1:45 and a pace of 8:00 and a ratio of 4:00/30. However, wouldn't one only get a 1:45 at a 8:00/mile pace if you're running without walk breaks? Unless my math is wrong, a 4:00/30 at a 8 min/mile pace should finish in 1:58. If I am wrong, please help me understand the math.

The overall pace of 8 min per mile includes the walk break (means the run segment is faster than 8 min per mile).

What time would spectators need to be at finish line for the half marathon?
That depends on the speed the runner will be doing. The spectator should track their runner and the tracking at the various timing mats on course will tell them about when their runner should be finishing, and they should try to arrive a little before that estimated time

The overall pace of 8 min per mile includes the walk break (means the run segment is faster than 8 min per mile).
If that is the meaning of the 8:00/mile, that is misleading. What would the running pace have to be in order to average 8:00/mile including the walk breaks? Then again, that somewhat depends upon how fast you're walking as well.

If that is the meaning of the 8:00/mile, that is misleading. What would the running pace have to be in order to average 8:00/mile including the walk breaks? Then again, that somewhat depends upon how fast you're walking as well.

I think you answered your own question! Your run and walk paces to meet an 8 min mile are determined by you (unless you're running with a pace group).

That’s why I can’t hang out with pace groups, I run too fast and walk too slow.

I can run a 13:30 pace with 30/60 run/walk, and I know that my walking pace is about 20 minute/mile, so someone mathier than me can figure out what my running pace would have to be 😄

This comes up a LOT in the social media groups, and, yes "It depends." The run/walk ratio averages out to "pace" (in this case 8:00/mi.) How fast the run portion is depends on how each mile is going; this is more of an issue for the groups toward the back that have to deal with course crowding and weaving (extra distance) than it is for the pace group that is in corral A. Most of the pacers state that the walk is "brisk" which I would take to mean something like 14:00 (but possibly faster) but they really cannot tell you how fast each portion of the ratio will be.

If you play around with a run/walk pace calculator, you're looking at somewhere between 7:30-7:37 pace for the running intervals. That accounts for 13:30-16:00 pace walk intervals.

That’s why I can’t hang out with pace groups, I run too fast and walk too slow.

I can run a 13:30 pace with 30/60 run/walk, and I know that my walking pace is about 20 minute/mile, so someone mathier than me can figure out what my running pace would have to be 😄
Same but different problem here: I walk much faster than the pace groups seem to, but run just enough slower that it just does not work out for me. And I do different intervals, just to really mess it up! My standard policy when I get swept up by a pace group is to walk or pull over until they’re gone, lol!

It’s not really misleading because there are so many variables such as course crowding and not being able to run perfect tangents. Even non-Galloway pacers go through this too. They will try to run splits as evenly as possible, but sometimes it just doesn’t happen. I ran with the 2:30 pacers in 2016. You can see the wide range of split times, but in the end it averaged out to an 11:15 pace and they got us across the finish line at the correct time.

1697730889327.jpeg
1697730905350.jpeg

ETA: A 2:30 half is normally an 11:30 pace. Even though Garmin has me at 11:15 it shows up as 11:30 in the results from Disney. As you can see there was almost a 1/4 mile of extra mileage in there. The pacers go by elapsed time at each mile marker. This is an important reason to do that as well. All that extra mileage adds time on the clock.

Last edited:
:rotfl2:

There's charts for corral opening/closing this year. Seems that the massive "oh no, i showed up way too late, lemme just jump corrals because i want to" issue from MW half and full is being addressed. LINK

And yes. I understand that this has been a historical problem, but it was BAD in January with hundreds of people still walking in after A corral had been released, and just running ahead of the last 3 corrals.

And yes, there appears to be a typo for E group for the half.

Last edited:
:rotfl2:

There's charts for corral opening/closing this year. Seems that the massive "oh no, i showed up way too late, lemme just jump corrals because i want to" issue from MW half and full is being addressed.

And yes. I understand that this has been a historical problem, but it was BAD in January with hundreds of people still walking in after A corral had been released, and just running ahead of the last 3 corrals.
Ooo, I like this info. I used the portapotty too soon and jumped in my C corral at Princess too soon, and had to use the first portapotty stop on the course, which was after mile 1. That was rough. Now having this information I can time my pit stops better before getting in the corral.

What are everyone's thoughts on driving and parking at Epcot vs. taking the resort shuttle? I'll be staying at OKW, but I will have my car too. Is it much easier and quicker to drive, or more of a hassle?

What are everyone's thoughts on driving and parking at Epcot vs. taking the resort shuttle? I'll be staying at OKW, but I will have my car too. Is it much easier and quicker to drive, or more of a hassle?
it really just depends on how you want to do it. I've stayed at OKW, and it can be a long walk up to the race bus (the internal shuttle runs, but it takes awhile) OR you could drive up to the HH and just park there. It's a short bus ride from there to Epcot, and once the races are done, it's a shorter walk to the bus than it would be back to a parked car.

Some people prefer to drive because they can get to epcot on their own timeline, wait in their car (maybe nap) until they feel like going to the start area. This can be a great strategy if it's cold or rainy out.

Our group is debating on what time to leave to make it to our corral. We are staying offsite, typically a 15 minute drive. Thoughts? I think we left the house at 3:15 last year. I felt it was ok, but others thought it was too early.

I have run with that group a while back and when I did they were a little quick at the start to pad in a minute or two in case of crowds or slowing later on. We were typically running at ~7:20/mile and walking at what I can only call a brisk pace.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter