• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wine & Dine 1/2 marathon weekend 2021

nostalgic4disney

Mouseketeer
I saw a travel site Travelling fit with potential dates for the 2021 W&D race as 11/14. I was thinking that was a little late. Any guessers? i was planning on 2022 marathon weekend but can’t wait that long. Shooting for W&D. Thinking about making reservations soon in hopes there is actually a race.

I saw a travel site Travelling fit with potential dates for the 2021 W&D race as 11/14. I was thinking that was a little late. Any guessers? i was planning on 2022 marathon weekend but can’t wait that long. Shooting for W&D. Thinking about making reservations soon in hopes there is actually a race.
Yeah that’s late it should be the weekend before. Disney hasn’t confirmed anything tho.

I’d expect 11/14 now as we already have a reservation for the first weekend in November which took some effort.

Yeah, I just reserved for the first weekend in Nov. (DVC) I'm a little nervous that once we know the dates, I won't be able to switch if it ends up being the second weekend that TravelFit speculates in its promo.

Yeah, I just reserved for the first weekend in Nov. (DVC) I'm a little nervous that once we know the dates, I won't be able to switch if it ends up being the second weekend that TravelFit speculates in its promo.
week long effort, got a standard studio at Riviera for Nov. 4-8 so fingers crossed. I bet it's that weekend, I"m more concerned on whether or not it happens. I think things should be night and day by then, but they may not want to make that call in February or March and I hope if the announce event they remove the chance it may go virtual.

Yeah, I think the registration would normally open around march. I'm guessing that it'll have a good chance of running with a limited capacity. Although I don't know about the after-party that's a hallmark of this particular event. The Epcot entry is one of the main reasons I'd run F&W instead of the Princess Half in 2022. If we don't get Epcot after-party, I'd likely defer to later in the year.

Large events are so up in the air at the moment I am not sure the race will happen at all in 2021. I think we will see smaller races or limited capacity races start in the spring if the vaccine lowers numbers enough but the large events I really don't know.

I also have a feeling Disney wouldn't do any races with a limited capacity. That is just a hunch on my part though.

Large events are so up in the air at the moment I am not sure the race will happen at all in 2021. I think we will see smaller races or limited capacity races start in the spring if the vaccine lowers numbers enough but the large events I really don't know.

I also have a feeling Disney wouldn't do any races with a limited capacity. That is just a hunch on my part though.

I think one possibility is if it looks like vaccine distiution is going well to offer the race but require proof of vaccination. I can definitely seeing some large fall events like possibly football too doing things like that.

I think when Star Wars inevitably goes virtual they will make some sort of call... I honestly would not be shocked if marathon 2022 is the first live race post covid

I think when Star Wars inevitably goes virtual they will make some sort of call... I honestly would not be shocked if marathon 2022 is the first live race post covid

I agree I think with Star Wars announcement they announce future plans.

Since it would be so soon after October 1st, maybe they’d theme it after the 50th anniversary? With the increasing rates of vaccinations, I can definitely see a race happening in early November.

Since it would be so soon after October 1st, maybe they’d theme it after the 50th anniversary? With the increasing rates of vaccinations, I can definitely see a race happening in early November.
I’m not trying to be a Debbie Downer but I think if Wine & Dine 2021 occurs it will most likely be virtual however I’m cautiously optimistic marathon weekend 2022 will be live albeit modified and could see a 50th theme to it

I think if they could wait until June to make the call it would probably happen now but there isn't a lot of motivation to try to get that race in when they can just start anew in a new year and make more concrete plans. The race weekends are designed to bring demand at down times, there isn't going to be a lot of "down" time starting this somewhere and probably going forward for quite a while so their motivation to plan and execute an event like that is probably diminished, unfortunately. Hope I"m wrong, we have our room reserved and also one for marathon weekend, so hoping at least second weekend occurs.

Coming up on March 5, which was the start of early registration last year!
Considering gaspirilla got moved from February (same weekend as princess) to May back in December and officially made the call to go virtual last week I see no chance of Wine & Dine (at least as a live race) happening in 2021....

I’d me more interested in seeing if they still do virtual shorts

Well, the glimmer of hope is that runDisney hasn’t flatly ruled it out yet. I just got this back from them:

Our 2021-2022 runDisney race series has not yet been announced.

There was more boilerplate about watching social media, the blog, etc. ButWine & Dine is always the first race on the calendar, so I’m still hoping it’s “where dreams come true” 😀

By November, a significant portion of the population will have been vaccinated and/or will have contracted COVID-19, meaning we will have achieved herd immunity for all practical purposes (many public health professionals believe this will happen much sooner). It makes sense to do Wine & Dine, if for no other reason than as a “dress rehearsal” for the Walt Disney world marathon. They can go forward with planning in person and switch to virtual.

I agree that it will be "safe" to have a race by November, I think most everyone would agree with that. The problem is they would probably need to make contingency, logistical plans for distancing etc even if they are able to dump them by November. Considering there is going to be no need to create demand for the foreseeable future, not sure what their motivation would be to go through the hassle. Hope I'm wrong. I would hope they plan on a marathon weekend.

Have a half marathon coming up this weekend that should be a decent POT that will be "eligible" for whenever they bring them back. They cut the normal capacity in half, need to wear masks in corrals and put back on after finishing and entering a "completion zone". Most races will be back in short order, pretty obvious there is very little if any risk running outdoors even among other people unless someone coughs right in your face or spits on you ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter