Wine & Dine or Avengers (2017)

bearcat97

Earning My Ears
I'm planning for my first runDisney race for next fall. I know it's a long time away, but I'm a planner and I thought if anyone would understand my need for advance planning, it would be the awesome people here. Anyway, my 15th anniversary with my husband is next November and I thought it would be fun if we planned a kid-free trip (and I would get to run my first runDisney race as a bonus). Which park puts on a more fun race? I don't know which race I would do (10k, half, or challenge) yet, but I'm leaning towards the half. Pros and cons to either?

Thanks!

I don't know which race I would do (10k, half, or challenge) yet, but I'm leaning towards the half. Pros and cons to either?

The 30,000 foot overview breaks it down like this for the half:

Disneyland's half marathon takes you through California Adventure and Disneyland for only the first 4-5 miles, and the remaining 8-9 miles (depends on the course) put you through the streets of Anaheim. This can be through the Anaheim Angels Baseball Stadium or through the downtown streets of the surrounding resort area. A very cool experience if you like to run on a city street or want to run on a field of a baseball stadium.

Walt Disney World's half marathons take you through the theme parks. Depending on the course that could be EPCOT, Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom (or any combination). It's a completely different experience to run through the parks with no people in them!

Disneyland's races are a bit more streamlined for the logistics - you just walk to the start and it's close to your hotel. Expo is at the Disneyland hotel - again, easy to access from your hotel via foot or car. Disneyworld is bigger and you have to board buses and hope you're there early enough before the line.

I won't tell you what to choose, but you'll have to choose what is best for you. Both are so very different in experiences! Wine and Dine in recent years has been subject to terrible rain. Avengers was just a cold, brisk morning in comparison.

Disneyland's races are a bit more streamlined for the logistics - you just walk to the start and it's close to your hotel.

Can you walk even if you aren't staying at one of the 3 resort properties? I mean, are some of the good neighbor hotels within walking distance? I've never been to Disneyland, so I have no point of reference for the location of anything there.

I'm planning for my first runDisney race for next fall. I know it's a long time away, but I'm a planner and I thought if anyone would understand my need for advance planning, it would be the awesome people here. Anyway, my 15th anniversary with my husband is next November and I thought it would be fun if we planned a kid-free trip (and I would get to run my first runDisney race as a bonus). Which park puts on a more fun race? I don't know which race I would do (10k, half, or challenge) yet, but I'm leaning towards the half. Pros and cons to either?

Thanks!

I've never done W&D, but I've done the Princess weekend at WDW 3 times. I also did all three races at Avengers weekend in 2015. I like both parks races for different reasons. I was a 20+ year AP holder for WDW so it's my home away from home. I liked the course, but it would be different from W&D. But WDW race mornings are a little tougher logistically in my opinion. But you are in the bubble the whole time. Some people live this, others don't. I'd say I saw more characters out at WDW races than DL races as well.

My trip to DL for Avengers last year was only my second time to DL and first to include CA adventure. The course for the 5 and 10k have a lot of park time which I loved. The half, not so much. Much more out of the park than in. But, the crowd support out in Anaheim was fantastic. The course went through Angels Staium, there were Cosplayers in several sections as well as local schools cheerleaders and marching bands. I really loved it.

Depending where you live one or the other might be easier to get to. Being an east coaster, getting up was easier at DL for me. We have DVC so we stayed onsite, but you can walk from many good neighbor hotels.

Another consideration is theming. If you like one theme or the other better. It's definitely a matter of personal choice only you can make, but I think you'll enjoy either.

Depending where you live one or the other might be easier to get to. Being an east coaster, getting up was easier at DL for me.

I'm in Ohio, so Orlando is closer (and the flight is cheaper), but you're probably right about it being easier to get up at DL since I'm used to eastern time.

Another consideration is theming. If you like one theme or the other better.

And that's where I'm leaning towards Avengers. I love the thought of the bubble at WDW, but superheroes are my favorite (Carol Corps represent!). I've seen pictures of the cosplayers during the half and it looks like so much fun! I'm less concerned about the characters (even though I love them) because I'll be towards the back and the lines would probably be too long for me to wait in anyway. Also, my sister wants to do the Princess in 2018, so I can save my WDW race experience for then (no coast to coast, alas, but that's okay... I love the medals, but the timing just doesn't work for me to get one). :)

Thanks for your input!

Can you walk even if you aren't staying at one of the 3 resort properties? I mean, are some of the good neighbor hotels within walking distance? I've never been to Disneyland, so I have no point of reference for the location of anything there.
I've done the Disneyland Half Marathon and the Tinkerbell Half Marathon at DL. The first race I stayed at the Anaheim Majestic. It was a 15 minute walk from hotel lobby to the start of the race. So not bad. The second race I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. I basically walked downstairs and was there. In the future I will always try to stay at the DL Hotel. It was just more convenient. Plus after the race it's a quick walk to the hotel. I'll be at the Avenger's race too! Good luck!!

I feel like Disneyland for Avengers is a lot flatter and more likely to be cooler because of the heat and humidity. I personally feel that California is just as good even though the parks are all at the start because I dreaded the long highway runs from one park to another in World. I will say my experience (at least based on Princess & Tink) is that the support from people in the city of Anaheim is way more (and cosplay at least for Disney attendance seems to be much more regular) but at least for Tink there was a lot less character spots and Disney magic in the park. I doubt that will be the case for Avengers since it's one of the few opportunities to see the characters. I had a friend who did Wine & Dine and Avengers back to back and said she much preferred Avengers (granted her Wine & Dine was last year's cut in half). In fact at the time it was her favorite race (over Princess and Wine & Dine) and I'm not sure that this year's Tink was able to take that spot from Avengers. As a fellow EST person I also enjoyed Disneyland because it wasn't that early for me. My one word of advice on Disneyland is that you don't need to stay on property and you certainly wouldn't be the only one who doesn't. I think staying on property makes it easier BUT more expensive. I would suggest a hotel on the Disneyland Dr. side because if you're on Harbor you have to go through security on the way to and from the race. Going to the race it's not a big deal but for the half we were heading back after the parks had already opened (we decided to sit for a bit which ended up being a mistake) and it was awful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter