Wines?

Tazicket

<font color=blue>I routinely walk into 1 certain w
DH and I have tried a few different wines, but so far have not enjoyed any of them. :confused3 Is it an acquired taste? I would like to like wine...but if past experience is any indication, I guess I don't... I guess what I'm asking is, what are good wines to try? I think we've tried Merlot and Chardonnay and found both to be overly bitter. Any suggestions? We enjoy fruity flavors if that helps. :)

Thanks!

Hi! I'm no wine connoisseur either, but have found some that I like. You sound exactly like me! I don't like dry or bitter wines either, and do think that you either like it or you don't. I really want to like wine...I think I like the idea of wine more.

I wouldn't rule out merlot or chardonnay b/c there are different ones with different qualities.

For example, Clois du Bois merlot is good. Also, I never thought I'd like chardonnay either, but the one we had at our wedding was quite nice. It was Villa Mt. Eden Gran Reserve chardonnay. It is light, fruity, and buttery. I never really understood that jargon until I drank it.

Now my all time favorite wine would have to be the Trentino Moscato Gaierhof that I first had on the Disney cruise. It is sweet and fruity, but not overly so. The only place I have found it is here and you have to buy a whole case:

http://www.reservewinecellars.com/list/item-detail.cfm?ID=319&rwc_code=0

Wine tasting would be a great way to find out what you do and don't like as well! A really easy place to do it would be at your local county fair. Last year, my brother in law and I did a mini wine class/tasting at the fair and it was very helpful!

good luck!

Thanks so much for the reply!! I just wrote down the wines you mentioned to see if we can find them. They just opened a Total Wine store here in town and they carry 8,000 different wines. They do wine tastings, too. We tried one yesterday and I have totally forgotten what it is...the guy said it shouldn't be bitter at all (but it still was a little bit). I felt bad asking him for help (sort of like I should know it all already, even though I don't). I do know we tried a white wine that had some apple and peach flavors in it.

Unfortunately, Merlot & Chardonnay weren't good wines to start with. As cryssi mentioned, there's some fruity Merlots & Chardonnays, but most aren't that way. There's very few Chardonnays I like even now. Both Merlots & Chardonnays have a tendency to contain an oak (woodsy) flavor & a bit of a sour (vinegary) flavor. Generally, it's safer to start with whites. Most wine drinkers progress to reds. For guaranteed enjoyment, go with a dessert wine, such as Ice Wine or Muscat. A sparkling wine is also a safe bet for newbies. For white wines, try a Reisling or Chenin Blanc. Reisling is the sweeter of the 2. If you reply so I know you're still checking in on the thread, I'll be happy to provide you with some specific wines to try. :)

ETA: Rose or Blush wines are typically sweet. Just don't order a blush in a group of wine snobs. :p

My dh and I decided about a year ago to start drinking wine. I have discovered that I am a "wine wimp". I have looked high and low for wines that I like....fruity, sweet ones with NO "after kick". I have found ONE that I really enjoy...I have seen it only at Whole Foods, and it is SOOO good.

Here's the name:
Willhelm Bergmann
Mosel-Saar-Ruwer
Piesporter Michelsberg
Riesling Spatlase

It is German. Germans like their wines very fruity and very sweet.

:wave:

Beca

Beca said:
My dh and I decided about a year ago to start drinking wine. I have discovered that I am a "wine wimp". I have looked high and low for wines that I like....fruity, sweet ones with NO "after kick". I have found ONE that I really enjoy...I have seen it only at Whole Foods, and it is SOOO good.

Here's the name:
Willhelm Bergmann
Mosel-Saar-Ruwer
Piesporter Michelsberg
Riesling Spatlase

It is German. Germans like their wines very fruity and very sweet.

I'm going to write this one down & give it a try. We're always on the lookout for something new to try. :)

If you like your wines slightly sweet, another good option for you would be to try a pinot gris--Trimbach makes a good one. They have nice reislings too. The sweetest wine I can think of (excluding dessert wines) is gewurtztraminer. It's a german grape (again, Trimbach makes a nice one)--it is very fruity and quite sweet. We usually pair it with spicy foods--like indian curries.

Two other whites to try: Chateau St. Michelle winery (Washington) makes a reisling called Eroica which you might like. Another popular wine is Caymus Conundrum--it's a blend of different grapes, again slightly sweet. This one's a bit more money than the others I have mentioned.

For reds, have you tried beaujolais? It's inexpensive and quite light and fruity/flowery. You want to drink it slightly chilled. Look for the newest vintage you can find--you don't want this wine old. The most popular maker of this wine is Georges Dubeouf. Louis Jadot is another popular maker.

Hope this helps you get started.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter