Winter Weather Escape to WDW and the WL ~ A January 2014 Trip Report

Continued...

DisneyJanuary2014170_zpsd63f9b6f.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014171_zps3f4554f1.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014172_zps1bcff9c6.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014173_zps857e52d1.jpg

We went back inside and headed up to the monorail station. As we were walking towards the door I noticed that the Kona Island Bar had the chocolate chip croissants that I love!! You can get them at most of the resorts, definitely the Poly, BWI, YC, and BC. But not at the WL! So I grabbed one on my way out for later!

Then we took the monorail to MK and then the boat to the WL.

DisneyJanuary2014174_zps19ec0d34.jpg

This is a view of our balcony from a hallway window around the corner.

DisneyJanuary2014175_zps69e15fee.jpg

It wasn’t very warm, but DS12 wanted to swim!! So we grabbed our mugs and went down to Roaring Fork to fill them and then went out to the pool. We checked the water situation again, and there still wasn’t any hot water. So DH called maintenance again. And again, he was told that it would be fixed within 2 hours. :rolleyes:

DisneyJanuary2014176_zps14566db9.jpg

DH and I didn’t even change into our swimsuits. In fact, I think I had a jacket on sitting by the pool! :rotfl:

DS12 hopped right in! DS14 waited it out a bit before finally going in.

DisneyJanuary2014177_zps46c52a88.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014178_zps4fc8c304.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014179_zpsde0fc6e5.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014180_zps95fe6638.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014181_zpsfe5f9378.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014182_zps987c88cf.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014183_zpsf9df869c.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014184_zpsdaffd980.jpg

DisneyJanuary2014185_zpse90b1eac.jpg

DS14 didn’t last too long! DS12 finally talked DH into getting changed and getting in with him. So DH went up to the room, or tried to. He was stopped as he got off the elevator by a CM saying there was a power outage on our floor. They wouldn’t let anyone even attempt to go to their room. He was stuck standing there for about 30 minutes before they let him go. By the time he came back down to the pool DS12 was cold and ready to get out.

They decided to get in the hot tub for a bit. DS14 and I lounged by the pool a bit and then went back up to the room. It was now probably about 1:30. Still no hot water. I knew DH was going to be upset after being in that hot tub and not being able to get a shower.

Once DH got back to the room we decided to go down to the front desk. We told them we had called two times and each time were told it would be fixed within a few hours and it was now nearly 2pm and we still had no hot water and we needed to get ready to go to MK. The CM checked and said that the engineers were at lunch and would be fixing it shortly. We told her this was unacceptable to be without hot water for what we were paying to stay there and also told her that our view was terrible and we weren’t very happy to be woke up on vacation by loud beeping trucks at 7am. She went to the back for over 10 minutes. We were about to leave when she finally came back out. She offered us a different room, in the same hall, a few doors down. :sad2: And said that this room should have hot water. :eek: Yeah, should.

Well, we knew it would still have the view and noise issues and possibly the same hot water issues, so we declined for the time being. We told her that we were going to MK and when we got back that evening if we still had no hot water then we would like to move. We couldn’t see packing up all our stuff and moving to deal with mostly the same issues. I couldn’t believe we weren’t offered any kind of upgrade, or even another hall for all of our issues.

Up Next: Off to MK!

Continued... We went back inside and headed up to the monorail station. As we were walking towards the door I noticed that the Kona Island Bar had the chocolate chip croissants that I love!! You can get them at most of the resorts, definitely the Poly, BWI, YC, and BC. But not at the WL! So I grabbed one on my way out for later! Then we took the monorail to MK and then the boat to the WL. This is a view of our balcony from a hallway window around the corner. It wasn’t very warm, but DS12 wanted to swim!! So we grabbed our mugs and went down to Roaring Fork to fill them and then went out to the pool. We checked the water situation again, and there still wasn’t any hot water. So DH called maintenance again. And again, he was told that it would be fixed within 2 hours. :rolleyes: DH and I didn’t even change into our swimsuits. In fact, I think I had a jacket on sitting by the pool! :rotfl: DS12 hopped right in! DS14 waited it out a bit before finally going in. DS14 didn’t last too long! DS12 finally talked DH into getting changed and getting in with him. So DH went up to the room, or tried to. He was stopped as he got off the elevator by a CM saying there was a power outage on our floor. They wouldn’t let anyone even attempt to go to their room. He was stuck standing there for about 30 minutes before they let him go. By the time he came back down to the pool DS12 was cold and ready to get out. They decided to get in the hot tub for a bit. DS14 and I lounged by the pool a bit and then went back up to the room. It was now probably about 1:30. Still no hot water. I knew DH was going to be upset after being in that hot tub and not being able to get a shower. Once DH got back to the room we decided to go down to the front desk. We told them we had called two times and each time were told it would be fixed within a few hours and it was now nearly 2pm and we still had no hot water and we needed to get ready to go to MK. The CM checked and said that the engineers were at lunch and would be fixing it shortly. We told her this was unacceptable to be without hot water for what we were paying to stay there and also told her that our view was terrible and we weren’t very happy to be woke up on vacation by loud beeping trucks at 7am. She went to the back for over 10 minutes. We were about to leave when she finally came back out. She offered us a different room, in the same hall, a few doors down. :sad2: And said that this room should have hot water. :eek: Yeah, should. Well, we knew it would still have the view and noise issues and possibly the same hot water issues, so we declined for the time being. We told her that we were going to MK and when we got back that evening if we still had no hot water then we would like to move. We couldn’t see packing up all our stuff and moving to deal with mostly the same issues. I couldn’t believe we weren’t offered any kind of upgrade, or even another hall for all of our issues. Up Next: Off to MK!

That doesn't sound disney like at all.. I can't believe they were so flippant.

:eek:

Holy cow how rude and awful of them to act like it's no big deal that you had an awful view, no water-- cold showers and no one was worried about getting it fixed when they said they would. Unacceptable---- EVEN at a Roach Coach, not to mention a disney owned hotel!!!!:worried:
I can honestly say IDK if I'd ever stay there, given your experience.

The Poly construction is U-G-L-Y. I don't know why they can't just leave things alone. I hate change.:(

The cabana we rented was the Mauna Kea. I thought it was a better view than the other one. I sat in both of them and in the Mauna Kea, you sort of felt a little more out of the way because of the way the bushes were around you and you were tucked in there. The other one, you walk up the two steps and it's right there slightly to your right ahead of you. Everyone sort of looks up the steps into your cabana.
LOVED our experience there.:cloud9: :love: :cloud9: Very much worth the money if you are planning an all day pool day. The fruit platter is absolutely gorgeous. It's in a boat like thing, with a pineapple and cut up fruit. The fridge is stocked with drinks and our personal CM was fantastic. She came by every 30 minutes or so to make sure we had everything we needed. The telephone and tv inside were a great hit with all of us.
Would do it again in a heartbeat--- IF there was no construction going on. I tend to think that an all day rental is a better deal but only if you are going to be on property for the whole day. (And there are no storms on the horizon!););)

Hoping that your rental is as great as ours was.
Do you remember seeing any at the WL?

The pool pics of the boys swimming-- it looked like a freezing day for sure! And what the heck was up with the power outage when your DH was trying to go up???? UNACCEPTABLE.

:mad:

I agree that these types of issues with a Disney resort room are not acceptable. Were the engineers out to lunch when they designed the service dock and housing for electrical transformers. I've never had those problems in a value or moderate room!

That doesn't sound disney like at all.. I can't believe they were so flippant.

Nope, we were surprised. :sad2:

:eek:

Holy cow how rude and awful of them to act like it's no big deal that you had an awful view, no water-- cold showers and no one was worried about getting it fixed when they said they would. Unacceptable---- EVEN at a Roach Coach, not to mention a disney owned hotel!!!!:worried:
I can honestly say IDK if I'd ever stay there, given your experience.

I know, it was crazy. :faint:

The Poly construction is U-G-L-Y. I don't know why they can't just leave things alone. I hate change.:(

I wish they would have left well enough alone too. There are already 2 DVC resorts on the monorail line, did we really need another??

The cabana we rented was the Mauna Kea. I thought it was a better view than the other one. I sat in both of them and in the Mauna Kea, you sort of felt a little more out of the way because of the way the bushes were around you and you were tucked in there. The other one, you walk up the two steps and it's right there slightly to your right ahead of you. Everyone sort of looks up the steps into your cabana.
LOVED our experience there.:cloud9: :love: :cloud9: Very much worth the money if you are planning an all day pool day. The fruit platter is absolutely gorgeous. It's in a boat like thing, with a pineapple and cut up fruit. The fridge is stocked with drinks and our personal CM was fantastic. She came by every 30 minutes or so to make sure we had everything we needed. The telephone and tv inside were a great hit with all of us.
Would do it again in a heartbeat--- IF there was no construction going on. I tend to think that an all day rental is a better deal but only if you are going to be on property for the whole day. (And there are no storms on the horizon!););)

I can't wait for our cabana day!!! :cool1: I just hope it isn't ruined by the whole pool situation. No pool could really put a damper on the cabana.... :confused3:rotfl:

Hoping that your rental is as great as ours was.
Do you remember seeing any at the WL?

The pool pics of the boys swimming-- it looked like a freezing day for sure! And what the heck was up with the power outage when your DH was trying to go up???? UNACCEPTABLE.

:mad:

Nope, no cabana's at the WL. And I don't ever remember seeing any at any of the Epcot resorts. :confused3

It was chilly that day!! Crazy kids! :upsidedow

Not sure what was up with the power outage on our floor, but it sure wasn't because they were fixing the water situation. :headache:

I agree that these types of issues with a Disney resort room are not acceptable. Were the engineers out to lunch when they designed the service dock and housing for electrical transformers. I've never had those problems in a value or moderate room!

:laughing: I think the WL engineers must be out to lunch a lot!!

And I told them all about it in the survey I received upon returning home. :eek:

I just kept thinking all week - what if this was one of my clients and this was their first trip and they thought this is what WDW is always like. :sad2::headache:

I'm surprised that they didn't offer to give you a room credit when you choose not to change rooms. We didn't have any power outages or water problems. It is almost like we stayed in two different resorts. :confused3

When people on the WL thread ask advice about staying in a standard view room, I tell them that they should upgrade to a woods view room. I probably shouldn't tell them that, but those SV rooms are really bad. :sad2:

Your sons were brave to go swimming. It was too cold for us, especially Thursday and Friday, when the highs were in the 50's.

Does the construction at the Poly ruin the view of Wishes from the beach? It is hard to tell in the daylight where the best view is.

No way. Cold showers is where I draw the line. Period. I am shocked that you guys were able to keep your composure so well in this whole ordeal. I would have told them to put me on the other side and if the rooms on your hallway were the only rooms they had open in the whole resort then they better be prepared to move me to another deluxe at their expense. Why in the world would they be so stubborn about this? :confused3 Good Grief. And Jodi is right the poly construction pics make that wonderful resort u-g-l-y. I know it will probably be all worth it in the end but right now its :crazy2:. I will admit though the pic you had with the zero entrance into the volcano pool was calling my name:rotfl:

That really is just UNACCEPTABLE!!!
And to tell you they're at lunch.....what?!!!!!
Definitely a little too chilly for me to swim, but my boys would've been right there w them.
I saw the Poly construction last week too. :(
I loved your pics of the Poly. Those cabanas do look great. We've never rented one in Disney, but did at the HRH in Universal. It was fantastic!!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I'm surprised that they didn't offer to give you a room credit when you choose not to change rooms. We didn't have any power outages or water problems. It is almost like we stayed in two different resorts. :confused3

I couldn't get them to budge on anything, it was weird. :confused3

When people on the WL thread ask advice about staying in a standard view room, I tell them that they should upgrade to a woods view room. I probably shouldn't tell them that, but those SV rooms are really bad. :sad2:

Well I think you are doing them a favor!! ::yes:: People need to know!

Your sons were brave to go swimming. It was too cold for us, especially Thursday and Friday, when the highs were in the 50's.

It was probably in the low 70's that day, but it didn't feel like it with the lack of sunshine.

Does the construction at the Poly ruin the view of Wishes from the beach? It is hard to tell in the daylight where the best view is.

Not really. Maybe in some spots a little. But I think you will still be able to see Wishes.

No way. Cold showers is where I draw the line. Period. I am shocked that you guys were able to keep your composure so well in this whole ordeal. I would have told them to put me on the other side and if the rooms on your hallway were the only rooms they had open in the whole resort then they better be prepared to move me to another deluxe at their expense. Why in the world would they be so stubborn about this? :confused3 Good Grief. And Jodi is right the poly construction pics make that wonderful resort u-g-l-y. I know it will probably be all worth it in the end but right now its :crazy2:. I will admit though the pic you had with the zero entrance into the volcano pool was calling my name:rotfl:

It was hard to keep our composure!! We did ask to speak to a manager and the girl went to the back and was gone for 10 minutes and that's when she offered us a room a few doors down. :confused3

Yeah, I'm not too thrilled about all that is going on at the Poly. I wish they would just leave it alone!!

That really is just UNACCEPTABLE!!!
And to tell you they're at lunch.....what?!!!!!
Definitely a little too chilly for me to swim, but my boys would've been right there w them.
I saw the Poly construction last week too. :(
I loved your pics of the Poly. Those cabanas do look great. We've never rented one in Disney, but did at the HRH in Universal. It was fantastic!!!

I know. They were supposedly fixing it within a few hours at 8:30am. It was now 2pm and they were at lunch?? :sad2:

We are really looking forward to a cabana, I hope it gets to happen! :goodvibes

Happy March!! :cool1:

I don't know about everyone else, but I am SO looking forward to spring!! :flower1: Spring soccer, warmer weather, then summer, then Disney!!!

pixiedust:

So, today marks one year since I completed my training and became a Travel Agent specializing in Disney. :goodvibes It's been a wild ride! Things started off well, then got kind of slow for a long period. I was getting a little discouraged. Then all of the sudden, about right after Christmas, things really picked up!! It has been totally crazy since the beginning of the year! Since starting last March I have booked trips for 107 families! :faint: :yay: I have clients traveling every month of this year, except for March and July. So far! The majority are traveling in August - I have 72 trips booked for that month alone. Not surprising with our two Agency Exclusive offers running that month - way too good to pass up!! ::yes::

I just wanted to share! :) It will be interesting to see what the next year brings...

Wow, 107 families!!!!! That's insane! CONGRATULATIONS!! :cool1:

And I agree, the Poly construction is pretty ugly. :crazy2: I just hope they find a way to rebuild the fountain in the lobby. I'll be so bummed if it is just removed completely. I am going to make sure that we get a picture in front of it when we are there next month just in case. :goodvibes

We got our ME documents today! That means it's close! :yay:

Congrats on your 1 year anniversary!!! :banana: I can't believe it's been a year already!

I'll be interested to see if you hear back from Disney about your experience at WL since you did the survey. I officially complained once about something and a rep called me within a week or so. I hope they will offer you some kind of compensation like they did with your free GF stay. They just charge WAY too much for those deluxe resorts for you to have all those issues.

I couldn't agree with you more about spring! It can't get here fast enough!!! I'm so tired of being cooped up in this house! :faint:

Wow, 107 families!!!!! That's insane! CONGRATULATIONS!! :cool1:

And I agree, the Poly construction is pretty ugly. :crazy2: I just hope they find a way to rebuild the fountain in the lobby. I'll be so bummed if it is just removed completely. I am going to make sure that we get a picture in front of it when we are there next month just in case. :goodvibes

We got our ME documents today! That means it's close! :yay:

Thank you!! :goodvibes

I've read conflicting things about the lobby and waterfall/fountain. Some say it's going away, others say it's going to be scaled back to make for a better view straight through the lobby. Who knows...:confused3

Congrats on getting your ME stuff!

Congrats on your 1 year anniversary!!! :banana: I can't believe it's been a year already!

I'll be interested to see if you hear back from Disney about your experience at WL since you did the survey. I officially complained once about something and a rep called me within a week or so. I hope they will offer you some kind of compensation like they did with your free GF stay. They just charge WAY too much for those deluxe resorts for you to have all those issues.

I couldn't agree with you more about spring! It can't get here fast enough!!! I'm so tired of being cooped up in this house! :faint:

Thanks, I can't believe it's been a year either! :faint: Crazy how time flies.

I did get a call from guest relations about our WL stay. A very nice and apologetic CM. He said the CM's at the WL are "going to get the business" from him. :eek: :rotfl: So, whatever that means. They did compensate us for 2 nights. But, will they do anything about all that noise outside all those rooms? I doubt it. :confused3

Hi Shelly,

Wow, one year already? I can believe how many trips you've booked! But then again, you really are a great and very patient travel agent! My parents are going to wait it out and see if Free Dining comes out for October by the way :)

I'm glad you got a call about your WL stay, although I am curious to know what the CM is going to say to the guys over at WL. You never know if they're just saying that for effect though, but fingers crossed that people won't have to settle for such crappy rooms in the future.

So looking forward to spring. Doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon though :(
I can't believe you've been a TA for a year now, congrats on all those happy families!!

I just read about the call about WL. That is so great about the 2 nights. How does that work? Is it like last time they give you 2 nights for an upcoming trip?

Hi Shelly,

Wow, one year already? I can believe how many trips you've booked! But then again, you really are a great and very patient travel agent! My parents are going to wait it out and see if Free Dining comes out for October by the way :)

I'm glad you got a call about your WL stay, although I am curious to know what the CM is going to say to the guys over at WL. You never know if they're just saying that for effect though, but fingers crossed that people won't have to settle for such crappy rooms in the future.

I know, I didn't really know it was that many until I got my spreadsheet out and counted!! :cool1:

Hopefully something will come out for your parent's dates. :wizard:

I am curious on that myself. I really hope he did make it clear to them that their actions (or lack thereof) were not very professional or courteous. He did ask if I had CM names. Which I didn't. I did make note of each time we called/went to the front desk, but not names.

So looking forward to spring. Doesn't look like it's coming anytime soon though :(
I can't believe you've been a TA for a year now, congrats on all those happy families!!

I know it doesn't!! :crazy2: So tired of snow and cold temps. :mad:

Thanks! :goodvibes

I just read about the call about WL. That is so great about the 2 nights. How does that work? Is it like last time they give you 2 nights for an upcoming trip?

They gave us a credit this time. Basically paid us back for 2 nights. He said he knew it didn't make up for the poor experience, but that's what they wanted to offer us. I explained to him that we did not expect a refund, and all that we had wanted was for them to take care of the situation while we were there so that we could have better enjoyed our time there, but they just didn't. :(

I know, I didn't really know it was that many until I got my spreadsheet out and counted!! :cool1: Hopefully something will come out for your parent's dates. :wizard: I am curious on that myself. I really hope he did make it clear to them that their actions (or lack thereof) were not very professional or courteous. He did ask if I had CM names. Which I didn't. I did make note of each time we called/went to the front desk, but not names. I know it doesn't!! :crazy2: So tired of snow and cold temps. :mad: Thanks! :goodvibes They gave us a credit this time. Basically paid us back for 2 nights. He said he knew it didn't make up for the poor experience, but that's what they wanted to offer us. I explained to him that we did not expect a refund, and all that we had wanted was for them to take care of the situation while we were there so that we could have better enjoyed our time there, but they just didn't. :(

A refund is good too! At least they did something. :)

I'm really glad that they gave you a credit. At least someone at Disney realized that your family had been treated very badly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter