WISH Away the Pounds Outstanding October Challenge -- Everyone welcome!

Good Saturday morning.

I don't make too many soups. I do like chili and the last couple of times I have made it with soy crumbles instead of ground beef. Dh never even realized.

Pretty quiet here. Dh went camping for the weekend and I am home alone. I just finished grading my tests from yesterday. I will put them in the computer later. I am going to get dressed make a couple of phone calls and then sew for the rest of the day.

Have a happy and healthy day.

Good Saturday morning.

I don't make too many soups. I do like chili and the last couple of times I have made it with soy crumbles instead of ground beef. Dh never even realized.

Pretty quiet here. Dh went camping for the weekend and I am home alone. I just finished grading my tests from yesterday. I will put them in the computer later. I am going to get dressed make a couple of phone calls and then sew for the rest of the day.

Have a happy and healthy day.

Enjoy your sewing day! I plan to do a bit of scrapping if I can pull myself away from the stupid computer!...............P

AND...drumroll....I had a good WI for the second week in a row!! :woohoo: and I changed my clippie! how does it look on me?

Molli, that new clippie looks fabulous on you! :cool1:

I think this posting is rather ironic as I just had a "physical" for my life insurance. Imagine my shock when the agent called me and said the rate was going to be a little higher than she quoted because my cholesterol was 227! scared1: Even the DH was shocked. His exact words were "I don't know anybody who eats better than you." UGH! :crazy2: What really has me freaked out is I just had it checked in February. My doc said it was high, but because of the GOOD cholesterol. So now I'm all confused. :scared: My BFF did point out that since going all-out vegetarian a few months back, I've been eating alot more shrimp. AHA moment! And I had no idea alcohol was a culprit too. Now, I can easily live without booze, so don't think I'm a total party girl, :drinking1 but you can bet your dupa what I do take in is going to be reserved for actual big time parties now! ::yes:: I've seen the side effects of the meds thanks to the DH and So don't want to go there. AND DMom has now been diagnosed with it and I know it was part of DDad's heart problems. Thank you Mother Nature. :scared: So kudos to you Knewton!!

Bummer, Kim, but glad you found out now. :hug: How do you feel about oatmeal? That is supposed to really make a difference.

that clippie is well deserved and it looks FABULOUS on you!!!:cheer2::cheer2:

I am joining you in the happy dance down 2.5 for me today - Thank you so much for prompting me to join this challenge this month - exactly what I needed to get my buns in gear! It really is more fun to be happy dancing with you (and others) than to be sitting on the sidelines thinking about I really need to get moving, if only I would have, etc.....

:woohoo: for another great weigh in! And it is more fun to do this with a group for sure. ::yes::

Had a great weight in this morning! I am only 1.8 pounds from this months goal weight!! I'm feeling so great already and it's only been one month of a better lifestyle!

I doubt I will have much time to get on today, as I am being a busy housecleaning bee; but I wanted to wish everyone good luck on their weigh ins today!!

P.S. I talked my Mom into downloading MY Fitness Pal and she is hooked! She's been at it a week and is making so many better choices, and I couldn't be more proud of her! It's a small step in the right direction for her health!

Congrats on your great weigh in! :yay: And so nice to share with your Mom and help her to be healthier too. :flower3:

so I went for my 3 month diabetes check today.. I knew it was going to be bad.. for the past month or so my sugar has been high, my weight has been creeping up and my clothes are TIGHT.. While I have been taking my sugar every morning and seeing the number on the high side I seem to be continuing to eat poorly.. I asked him about my hip pain and after he looked and poked and pulled on my leg some he said it sounds like bursitis and to ice and take advil for the pain (but he didn't say to not continue Zumba so I'll still be attending class on TH nights) and if it's worse or not getting any better before my next appt to call in and we'll try the PT route..the worst part for me though was when I stepped on his scales (mine first thing before a shower was 179.8) was 183.0 which is only 2.2 less then what I started at way back in Jan.. I am sure my A1C will be higher then 5.4 this time .. I am just finding it hard to get back up on the wagon after a summer of Bread, Fruit and Chips! I got rid of all my bigger clothes so I need to kick it back up because I am not buying any more! so i am going to try NO I AM GOING TO GET MY ACT TOGETHER over the weekend - make a plan for the next few weeks and STICK TO IT! I will PM my weight and set a new goal for the the next 13 days..

Hope everyone has a stellar weekend and I'll see you all on Monday because I have a short day a work today! :wave2:

Well, that is a bummer, but you know what to do and are committed to doing it. ::yes:: I have faith that you will be able to get back to you good habit but a little pixiedust: never hurt anyone.

Weekend QOTD - it's getting chilly and that means soup at my house ...do you have a favorite healthy soup recipe to share?

Very timely question! :goodvibesI will post a recipe later this week-end when I am on the downstairs computer where the cookbooks are.

Ugh. I never seem to get on here! I did just go back and read all the posts for this past week.

Cruising QOTD: I have never gone on one, but my parents are HUGE cruisers. Mostly Princess and then they do river cruises. They just got back from the Tennessee River (I think that's what it was!). This spring they spent a month cruising around Hawaii and down to Australia and then another month going around New Zealand and Australia. What a life! And they are by no means wealthy, just live small and save every penny for their trips.

Parks are hard to rate because they are all so very different. I think MK, EPCOT, AK, HS. I love them all!

Soup: My quickie soup I make is 1 c lentils to 4 c water (or broth), onion and a dash of lemon pepper. The recipe calls for asparagus but I usually throw in a can of green beans since I always have that. Cook 45 min., blend and add some Swiss cheese (or whatever since I rarely have Swiss). In fact I frequently leave out the cheese. Reheat and serve with a dollop of sour cream. (A step I frequently leave out). Just eat it!!

I have a cookbook that has soup and bread recipes. Very yummy.

Your recipe sounds delicious, Linda! :cool2:

SUPER QOTD! I'm so excited for new recipes! If anyone is interested they could be cross-posted on the WISH away the pounds healthy recipe thread!

Here is the link to our recipe thread. http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36324235&postcount=1

Molli, do you think this could be turned into a sticky because it does fall off the list on a regular basis? Thank you for wearing your coaching and your moderator hat this week. :thanks:

Dona, enjoy your sewing day! :flower3:

Pamela, enjoy your scrapping day! :flower3:

And I will enjoy my laundry day. :rotfl:

I'm at 110% on my ActiveLink so I am staying OP for my personal challenge.

A little minichallenge for us for this week-end -- spend at least one hour doing something that you really enjoy doing that is just for you and tell us what you did. We all deserve some me time after all our hard work. :hippie:

Molli, do you think this could be turned into a sticky because it does fall off the list on a regular basis?

:thumbsup2 done

I need to pull down my recipe box to answer the QOTD but I wanted to pop in and see how everyone was doing this morning :wave:

it's raining here and I've decided it's a stay at home day :coffee: I spent yesterday making Halloween goodies for a few friends, so I need to get them ready for the mail and maybe i'll spend some more time in my cropping corner..seems like it's a crafting day for a few around here, I hope to join!

Pamela, enjoy your scrapping day! :flower3:

Thanks!

And I will enjoy my laundry day. :rotfl:

I'm at 110% on my ActiveLink so I am staying OP for my personal challenge.

GOOD FOR YOU!!

A little minichallenge for us for this week-end -- spend at least one hour doing something that you really enjoy doing that is just for you and tell us what you did. We all deserve some me time after all our hard work. :hippie:

Love this idea! I think most of us could really use some "me" time and some down time!!

I need to pull down my recipe box to answer the QOTD but I wanted to pop in and see how everyone was doing this morning :wave:

it's raining here and I've decided it's a stay at home day :coffee: I spent yesterday making Halloween goodies for a few friends, so I need to get them ready for the mail and maybe i'll spend some more time in my cropping corner..seems like it's a crafting day for a few around here, I hope to join!

Kind of wish it were raining here so I could skip the yard work without guilt!

Got home from running a short errand to find that my laundry line had finally failed.... the hook that holds two of the lines to the house had pulled out and two loads of heavy wet jeans and sweatshirts was on the deck and in the grass. :furious: So I had to rig up something temporary for today so everything can dry and then next week I'll find the time to pull out the drill and buy a new hook (although I think I might be able to re-use the old one, as it doesn't look damaged), plus put some wood filler in the old hole and touch up the paint.

Now to grab my lunch (leftovers from last night....mmmmm!) and get on with my afternoon! TTYL..............P

Good Saturday Afternoon everyone!!

Loved reading through the past 15 pages and catching up with you all. Congrats to all who are losing this month!! The name list looks so colorful, and there's even some 100% disgreen!! :cool1:

I had a friends wedding last weekend, and was busy helping with that so didn't get here at all. I was up 2 pounds last sat after the Friday night rehearsal and I lost them this week, so happy with that.

Did any of you see the Dietbet on facebook? It is a challenge where you put in a bet, mine was $30, and it goes in a pot and in 4 weeks you need to lose 2% of your body weight, so about 8 lbs for me, and then the pot is split between all the players who have reached their goal. It was a good motivator for me after summer, and spending the month of September, not really seeing the scale move. I have 2.6 lbs to lose before my final weighin wed, so I'm planning to work hard, and eat lots of fruits and vegies the next few days and hope for a whoosh. But even if I don't make it, it was a good kick to get focused again.

Excellent point! :thumbsup2

It's like riding a bicycle being here, isn't it? ;)
Lol, yes it is like riding a bike. Even if I put the bike in the garage for months at a time, I can always just jump right back in.

I am a leader! Right now I am doing just one meeting. Honestly, the pay isn't outstanding and I've been offered a few other meetings, but the drive was too much for the short meeting/small pay. Hopefully things will pick up in January, but for now I am just grateful that my meeting has stayed open, as they have closed lots of meetings in NH over the past few weeks/months!

..............P
So glad dd is doing well. So nice for her to be close enough to come home for long weekends too. My niece is loving it in Montana but won't be home til xmas. That's awesome you're a leader. Are you in the same district that they would be here in MA? My leader this am was headed into Boston for a conference and I wondered if you would be going too.

Ahhhhhhhh!!! Middle school, too? Time does fly!

My family is doing well. DS's are now 10 & 7 and growing up fast. :( I haven't been around as long as others, but I feel like I've grown up with some of you and your families. I can't believe Pamela's DD is at college! Anyhow, glad you have you around again :)

Jill
Thanks Jill. It is so nice to see everyone again, even though I haven't been on as much as I'd like. Time sure does fly. It's crazy. Glad you're all doing well. You're DS1 will be in middle school before you know it.

Our mini dachshund (who is 15) has a herniated disc. She got up this morning and couldn't move her hind legs. This has happened before. She got a big dose of steroids, pain meds and muscle relaxants and now we wait to see if the paralysis is permanent. After just going through what we went through with Petie this summer, it is a little overwhelming. We have to keep her quiet for 6 weeks--right now she can't really move and isn't trying. So any good thoughts you can send our way are appreciated.:goodvibes
Hope your puppy does ok. So hard to see them have problems. :grouphug:

Thanks for the info! I am back, and will need all of the support I can get. I LOVE you guys, always there for a hug or kick in the but... whichever is needed!

I updated my weight loss banner because I've gained back 10#. I looked so quickly at the thread this morning and I am so happy to see familiar faces. Can't wait to go back and read the whole thread.
Hello there!! I think of you sometimes when I take my son to Taekwondo. He started it in feb and loves it. He is testing for his high green belt next week, but man oh man what a work out he gets. Are you still doing it too?

Okay, so let me just throw it out there for EVERYONE:

ISLAND TIME IS OPEN ANYTIME, ALL THE TIME, FOR EVERYONE!! DOGS AND KIDS INCLUDED
. :goodvibes So just :drive: :moped::dancer: :boat: or whatever mode of tranportation you prefer and COME ON DOWN!:dance3:
Sounds awesome!! Looks heavenly!!

I saw this after I spent about an hour reading through and catching up here a little, so that's my me time. I'm sitting on the back porch with my son and dog in the yard, and now it's time to get up and clean off the porches and put up my Halloween decorations.

Have a fabulous rest of the weekend!!

I'd like to join this thread. Should I just join in at November? And is it by your goal per month or overall goal?

Well, still no laptop, but have borrowed the one from work and am doing a little catching up here (can't do facebook on it as the site is blocked!!!)

The weight is not making me happy at the moment, but the running is!!! Did my usual Saturday morning 5K, and got another personal best....33:22, that's an improvement of almost 7 minutes in 13 weeks of running. I think the new shoes really helped today, it is like running on air. I'm also finding that I can now run a lot further without needing to resort to walking...managed 1.5k his week before I needed to walk. OH decided that after my run and my improved time, HE also needed a new pair of shoes. He ended up with Brooks Ravenna 4, so a bit cheaper than mine!!! Still spent almost £200 on running shoes in a week!!!!

Made a chilli and butternut squash risotto for tea tonight, which is all good on my diet plan....going food shopping in the morning, then planning on making a beef chilli for the freezer, but using some for chilli cheese fries for dinnier tomorrow night. Done my meal planning for next week, but lunches are hard as I'm away from my normal place of work for 3 days out of 5!! Lunch is catered for 2 of the days, but don't suppose there'll be anything healthy available apart from the salad garnish on the sandwiches!!!

My mini challenge for the weekend is simple. I'm going to the Michael Buble concert tonight!!!

Good luck with the new gym! Rowing is a nice alternative to the TM. I used to use it once in a while when I went to the gym regularly. Don't be "gym-timidated" by the other folks there.

Good job trying something new at the gym! :thumbsup2 Let us know how it goes.

My friend (whose daughter is in gymnastics with DS) came along to the gym with me. We had a good time! I did the rowing machine for 10 minutes and I did enjoy it. DH found an article in his Men's Health magazine to test your fitness level on a rowing machine, so I'm hoping to try it this week. After that, we walked on the treadmills for 30 minutes. That will be my new workout on Wednesdays. My friend belongs to another gym (Planet Fitness) and I may join her there for the colder months, so I can keep up with running.

2nd is "food is not comfort, food is fuel". I just started with that one yesterday. I wanted a bag of chips so very badly today at lunch and I just told myself food is not comfort, food is fuel and it changed my "need" for chips.

I LOVE this! I need to remember it throughout pumpkin and Christmas cookie season!

Okay, so let me just throw it out there for EVERYONE:

ISLAND TIME IS OPEN ANYTIME, ALL THE TIME, FOR EVERYONE!! DOGS AND KIDS INCLUDED
. :goodvibes So just :drive: :moped::dancer: :boat: or whatever mode of tranportation you prefer and COME ON DOWN!:dance3:

How fun would it be to have a meet-up? Could you imagine us all (and families and pets) invading your backyard? What a hoot that would be!

FRIDAY OCTOBER 18 QOTD - rate the parks in order of your favorites

Epcot
Magic Kingdom
Hollywood Studios
Animal Kingdom

Weekend QOTD - it's getting chilly and that means soup at my house ...do you have a favorite healthy soup recipe to share?

I actually do not make soup. I make chili, white chicken chili, and stews, though. DS10 only eats chicken noodle soup, which I do not like at all. DH and DS7 do not eat soup ever. When I am in the mood, I will run to Panera and grab a bowl. I love their soups :thumbsup2

This is a toughie this weekend. Today we had a soccer game in Erie (1.5 hours away) and got home at 2:30. Then DS10 had a birthday party from 4-6 and another from 8-10. I'm not having much free time today. Tomorrow we head back to another soccer game 2.5 hours away. I'll have about 2 hours between Sunday school and when we have to leave, so maybe I'll try to squeeze in something. Maybe I'll go to the craft store without the kids!! :thumbsup2

Did any of you see the Dietbet on facebook? It is a challenge where you put in a bet, mine was $30, and it goes in a pot and in 4 weeks you need to lose 2% of your body weight, so about 8 lbs for me, and then the pot is split between all the players who have reached their goal. It was a good motivator for me after summer, and spending the month of September, not really seeing the scale move. I have 2.6 lbs to lose before my final weighin wed, so I'm planning to work hard, and eat lots of fruits and vegies the next few days and hope for a whoosh. But even if I don't make it, it was a good kick to get focused again.

I haven't seen this, but it sounds interesting. Let me know how it goes.

My mini challenge for the weekend is simple. I'm going to the Michael Buble concert tonight!!!

Fun! Hope you enjoyed it :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I started these replies hours ago and got caught up with the kids and am just finishing. I have a pretty busy day tomorrow, so I'll probably be back on Monday. Have a great weekend.

Jill

I had a friends wedding last weekend, and was busy helping with that so didn't get here at all. I was up 2 pounds last sat after the Friday night rehearsal and I lost them this week, so happy with that.

WOOHOO on 2 pounds gone!!

I have heard about it, but never really seen it. It sounds like fun and great motivation!

So glad dd is doing well. So nice for her to be close enough to come home for long weekends too. My niece is loving it in Montana but won't be home til xmas. That's awesome you're a leader. Are you in the same district that they would be here in MA? My leader this am was headed into Boston for a conference and I wondered if you would be going too.

I'm off to Nashua today! Going to hear lots of exciting news about the changes to the program I suppose! :thumbsup2

I saw this after I spent about an hour reading through and catching up here a little, so that's my me time. I'm sitting on the back porch with my son and dog in the yard, and now it's time to get up and clean off the porches and put up my Halloween decorations.
Have a fabulous rest of the weekend!!

I scrubbed the flower petals and leaves from my mudroom porch a few weeks ago. I could not believe what a mess those impatients made this summer! And then I finally tossed out my hanging basket and potted summer flowers Friday. They were still blooming, but getting really leggy and stringy looking. I don't buy mums to decorate for fall... no point in spending the money since my house cannot be seen from the street and I have NO company! I have a few ceramic pumpkins I will probably put out today (since DS is allergic to real pumpkins).

Do you put out lots of Halloween decor??

I'd like to join this thread. Should I just join in at November? And is it by your goal per month or overall goal?

Go back and read page one, it should give you everything you need! No need to wait for November if you don't want to. And may I say WELCOME!!!!

Well, still no laptop, but have borrowed the one from work and am doing a little catching up here (can't do facebook on it as the site is blocked!!!)

The weight is not making me happy at the moment, but the running is!!! Did my usual Saturday morning 5K, and got another personal best....33:22, that's an improvement of almost 7 minutes in 13 weeks of running. I think the new shoes really helped today, it is like running on air. I'm also finding that I can now run a lot further without needing to resort to walking...managed 1.5k his week before I needed to walk. OH decided that after my run and my improved time, HE also needed a new pair of shoes. He ended up with Brooks Ravenna 4, so a bit cheaper than mine!!! Still spent almost £200 on running shoes in a week!!!!

WOW! You are really making great LEAPS in your times! WTG!

Made a chilli and butternut squash risotto for tea tonight, which is all good on my diet plan....going food shopping in the morning, then planning on making a beef chilli for the freezer, but using some for chilli cheese fries for dinnier tomorrow night. Done my meal planning for next week, but lunches are hard as I'm away from my normal place of work for 3 days out of 5!! Lunch is catered for 2 of the days, but don't suppose there'll be anything healthy available apart from the salad garnish on the sandwiches!!!

Good job planning the foods ahead. If you are having a catered meal that you can't "recreate" into something more healthy, then bring your own! I am attending a WW meeting today with a meal provided. Even though it is a WW meal, I do not plan on eating it "as is". I will be skipping the potatoes and the dessert. I am going to bring along a nice big juicy apple to eat while the others have dessert.

Have fun! My nephew and his DGF AND my BIL and his wife all went to see him a few weeks ago here in Boston and said it was an AWESOME show!

My friend (whose daughter is in gymnastics with DS) came along to the gym with me. We had a good time! I did the rowing machine for 10 minutes and I did enjoy it. DH found an article in his Men's Health magazine to test your fitness level on a rowing machine, so I'm hoping to try it this week. After that, we walked on the treadmills for 30 minutes. That will be my new workout on Wednesdays. My friend belongs to another gym (Planet Fitness) and I may join her there for the colder months, so I can keep up with running.

Sounds like you had fun!!

How fun would it be to have a meet-up? Could you imagine us all (and families and pets) invading your backyard? What a hoot that would be!

A hoot and a half! We would all have to agree to that "what happens on Island Time, STAYS on Island Time!" :lmao:

I actually do not make soup. I make chili, white chicken chili, and stews, though. DS10 only eats chicken noodle soup, which I do not like at all. DH and DS7 do not eat soup ever. When I am in the mood, I will run to Panera and grab a bowl. I love their soups :thumbsup2

Maybe you just haven't found quite the right soup for them??? Do they eat chowders?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, I started these replies hours ago and got caught up with the kids and am just finishing. I have a pretty busy day tomorrow, so I'll probably be back on Monday. Have a great weekend.

Jill

Hope you find some "me" time during your busy, busy weekend. I don't miss those days at all!!

Morning friends! As I was reading some emails to find the address for today's conference, I discovered I was supposed to do some web training by 10/11! OOOOOPPSSS! Plus I woke up at 3 am realizing I haven't submitted a time sheet in a few weeks.... double whooops! So I MUST get that done today.

Plus DS came home late last night from striking the set for the theater production and announced that the new girlfriend's parents will be picking him up here at 11 am for apple picking today. He had kind of mentioned it during the week, but I forgot. My house is NOT clean enough downstairs for company, so I will have to make sure I am dressed and ready at 11 and head them off in the driveway! :lmao:

So for my workout yesterday?? It was THE BEST! Definitely MY KIND OF WORKOUT! DH and I spent 3+ hours cutting down trees (mostly smaller pines and birch), dragging them to the back yard, chopping them up, and burning them. I made 15 round trips (yes, I counted them!) from the front to the back dragging trees, plus chopping/breaking them into manageable pieces and feeding the fire. That is my kind of workout.... the kind that actually accomplishes something!

Okay.... gotta roll here! Just had a phone conference with DD about what I should wear today. I've got a couple of ideas. TTYL...............P

Thank you, Molli! Hope you enjoyed your crafting time. :goodvibes:

Here is a yummy french onion soup recipe from the Sunset Magazine Favorite Recipes Cookbook 1949 that is a family favorite:

Sunset Favorite Onion Soup (from 1949)

4 medium onions thinly sliced
1/4 c butter
3 c beef broth
salt, pepper, worchestershire sauce to taste
4 slices french bread, toasted with butter and 1/2 T parmesan cheese

Saute the onions in butter over very low heat until they are rich golden or caramel color. Add beef broth, salt, pepper, worchestershire sauce to taste. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until onions are tender. Float toasted french bread on soup and serve. Serves 4.

260 calories according to MFP.
Guessing 4 to 5 points on WW -- I'll figure it out someday and update this.

It's been added to the fabulous new recipe stickie!

Love this idea! I think most of us could really use some "me" time and some down time!!

Yes, that's what I thought, too. ::yes:: For my me time today I am going to take a nap. :thumbsup2

Good Saturday Afternoon everyone!!

Loved reading through the past 15 pages and catching up with you all. Congrats to all who are losing this month!! The name list looks so colorful, and there's even some 100% disgreen!! :cool1:

Lol, yes it is like riding a bike. Even if I put the bike in the garage for months at a time, I can always just jump right back in.

So nice to see you here pedaling away! :flower3: You can get those last few pounds gone and win your share of that DietBet money! :cheer2::cheer2::cheer2:

:welcome: fabulousfive! You can absolutely join now -- still 1/3 of the month left. ::yes:: We go by monthly goal. Read the first couple of posts and send me a PM with your starting weight and your monthly goal. :goodvibes:

I just joined a week and a half ago! Welcome!!!

Thanks for welcoming our newbie! :thanks: You're a seasoned WISH WATP'r already. :cool2:

Bummer about the laptop. Congrats on your new PR! :yay: That is great progress!

:woohoo: Hope it was a blast!

Sounds like fun and a good way to get some me time into your busy schedule! ::yes:: Let us know how the fitness test goes.

I scrubbed the flower petals and leaves from my mudroom porch a few weeks ago. I could not believe what a mess those impatients made this summer! And then I finally tossed out my hanging basket and potted summer flowers Friday. They were still blooming, but getting really leggy and stringy looking. I don't buy mums to decorate for fall... no point in spending the money since my house cannot be seen from the street and I have NO company! I have a few ceramic pumpkins I will probably put out today (since DS is allergic to real pumpkins).

I still have my fushia on the front porch and they are still blooming. Has anyone had any luck overwintering their fushia? These are really good one and I think I may try. :flower:

Mums can be planted and will come back, Pamela, for you to enjoy.

Enjoy the rest of your week-end and if you haven't PM'd your WI yet -- it's not too late!

Finally, my scale moved downward again today! And that besides me feeling rather bloated. I am still higher than my October starting weight though (by less then a pound, so it is not toooo bad).

I used that positive energy from the scale to head out for a run for the first time since the beginning of August. It felt great, but also tiring. I definitely lost some stamina. Helen, I think you are a faster runner now than me! I just seem not to be able to run fast. :sad2:

But am very happy with myself. Yesterday I walked 4 miles in the wonderful autumn sunshine and today I went for a 30 minutes run. So this is a good exercise weekend.

Now I am going to pick up the book a friend gave me yesterday and read that for an hour as my weekend challenge! Thanks for that Lisa, I tend to just waste time a lot on weekends, but thanks to your challenge, I am now making an effort to do something that I know I will enjoy!

QOTD:

It's not a soup as such, but an Indian dal. I make it thinner than the recipe calls for and eat it as a soup:

Tarka Dal (Recipe from Foolproof Indian Cookery by Madhur Jaffrey)

75 g (3 oz) yellow split peas (skinned mung dal)
75 g (3 oz) split red lentils (masoor dal)
I often use just red lentils and just realised that I never have had split ones...
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
900 ml (1.5 pints) water
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoon olive or groundnut oil (this is where I change the recipe, it works well with just 2 teaspoons of oil, I have even done it with only one teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds (I love cumin, so I use more)
2 hot dried red chillies
1 garlic clove, lightly crushed but left whole, then peeled

Wash the peas and lentils in water, drain. Put peas and lentils, water and tumeric in a pot, bring to the boil. Be careful, it can easily boil over and the water is very yellow thanks to the turmeric. Turn heat down when it starts boiling, partly cover the pot and let simmer gently for 40-45 minutes until the peas and lentils are very soft. The add the salt, turn off the heat and cover the pot.

Put the oil in a small frying pan (I use a non-stick pan) and set over a medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, the chillies and the garlic. When the garlic has browned lightly (also watch the state of the cumin seeds you don't want them to burn, just be nicely toasted), quickly add the oil with the spices to the pot with the dal, immediately put the lid back on and let it trap the aromas for a few minutes.

The chilies do add a lot of spice, so if you don't like your food hot, use only one. I also find that they burn easily and that is not good either, so sometimes I take them out earlier.

I eat the soup with yoghurt. One of my favourite winter meals!

And now I go and post it over in the recipe thread!!

I'm really liking the sound of the tarka dahl Magdalene.....will need to buy some yellow split peas, but I already have everything else.

Decided to have another little run this morning...only 3K today, but took me to a weekly total of 20K, so good for the training. I had no pace today though, think I was tired out after my new PB yesterday.

Having roasted root veggies (potato, onion, butternut squash, parsnips, carrots, sweet potato) with halloumi cheese, all nicely drizzled with some balsamic vinegar. I've got my plan of action sorted for lunches during the week......mostly involving crispbreads and laughing cow!!! No access to a microwave or a fridge makes lunches quite hard for me!

Hope everyone has had a good weekend, I'm going to find my little box of fall bits and bobs to do the fireplace with, and am burning a Yankee Candle combo of Harvest and MacIntosh for a lovely autumn smell.

Hi, everyone!
Crazy busy weekend but wanted to check in here, even if only briefly.

Sounds like everyone is doing well. I am excited about starting my coaching gig tomorrow and catching up. ;)

i have been SO busy since wednesday that this is the first time i've even had a chance to look at this! my coworker came down sick on wednesday so my manager asked me to take over running the machine that my coworker usually runs so i was busy from start to finish wednesday through friday. it was nice though because it made the days go by very quickly. ::yes:: it also put me out cold in bed by 9:30 on friday night, lol.

this weekend i did back to back races. yesterday was runner world's 10k and today i did a 13k the next town over. it was pretty ambitious and i'm definitely feeling it but i feel good about the decision. i also got three medals between the two races, one of which i wasn't even expecting, so now my medal holder is full and i need a new one, which is a good problem to have. :cool2:

i'm feeling good about how this week started so i am hoping that i will have a big week on the scale come friday as the last two weeks have been pretty small. :goodvibes

:welcome: :welcome:

OH!! how was it?? i'm a little green I admit!!

..Decided to have another little run this morning...only 3K today, but took me to a weekly total of 20K, so good for the training..

:cheer2::cheer2: 20 miles this week is EXCELLENT!

:thanks: everyone for sharing soup recipes, i'm going to go back and print them out!

I'm going to cheat and put a link in for my soup, I thought I had it on a recipe card but can't find it. I used to make this a lot, a crockpot and then lunch on it throughout the week. The cabbage makes it delish!

http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-0-point-weight-watchers-cabbage-soup-128956

well I spent the morning on the DIS, but on the cruise boards :smokin: DH and I are planning Alaska 2015 and it's maddening waiting for DCL to release the dates.

otherwise, it was a low-key but nice weekend. i'm leaving tomorrow for a couple days in Amish Country with my bestie... thankfully the overload of carb mashed potatoes and noodles don't call out to me. hopefully we'll get a lot of walking in, some Christmas shopping done, and I won't backtrack on the progress I've made this month!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter