• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wish delayed return on 11/7/22

OKW Lover

Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle.
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
The Disney Wish will be slightly delayed on its return to Port Canaveral tomorrow morning 11/7/22. The ship is just leaving Castaway Cay a 8 pm, about 3 hours later than planned. Sometime mid-afternoon there was a "Brightstar" announcement throughout the ship. This indicates a medical emergency, which is what delayed the departure time. The ship is expected to be docked about 8 am according the the Captain, which is about 3 hours later than normal. Once docked, then customs will clear the ship and luggage will be offloaded and passengers can disembark.

There are regularly posts on this board about how early to book flights out of MCO after the cruise. The is a good example of why you shouldn't push to get on an early flight home.

I was on the Wish. Disembarking was a mess with the delay. They called all groups at once and the line snaked literally all over the ship causing blocked elevators banks and aft stairs. My son got overwhelmed after waiting squeezed in for 45 minutes and we left the line to sit in the lobby. Once more than 2/3 of the ship departed they made the announcement that the ship was cleared by customs and free to leave… customs was very backed up as well.

So sorry for the family that lost their loved one.

My thoughts and prayers are with them.

I don’t want to be disrespectful here but this is when DCL insurance becomes important? Does DCL insurance cover the cost if we miss the flight due to late port arrival?

The medical emergency did not turn out ok, the passenger passed away. She was a contributor on this board for many years who provided great advice to many others, especially those with special needs children.

She was also a remarkable woman who will be dearly missed.

This is terrible to hear. Hoping her family can find some peace going forward.

MJ

Saddened to hear this. We were speculating on board that the fact we hadn't seen a helicopter evac while still at Castaway Cay meant that it was a death. At least the deceased was doing something they enjoyed.

How extremely sad. May her family find peace in their memories. If I got to pick my last day, being on Castaway might be one of them. A beautiful place.

Does DCL insurance cover the cost if we miss the flight due to late port arrival?
DCL insurance only covers flight-related issues if you purchase your flights directly through DCL. Otherwise, no. Even though the ship arrived into port late resulting in late debarkation, as far as the DCL insurance goes that's the end of it. Third party insurance that includes your pre- and post-cruise travel would be needed to cover any related flight changes.

My thoughts and prayers go to the family.

The medical emergency did not turn out ok, the passenger passed away. She was a contributor on this board for many years who provided great advice to many others, especially those with special needs children.

She was also a remarkable woman who will be dearly missed.

I am so sorry to hear this. How tragic! :sad1: My prayers go out to the family.

DCL insurance only covers flight-related issues if you purchase your flights directly through DCL. Otherwise, no. Even though the ship arrived into port late resulting in late debarkation, as far as the DCL insurance goes that's the end of it. Third party insurance that includes your pre- and post-cruise travel would be needed to cover any related flight changes.

My thoughts and prayers go to the family.
Great to know, thank you so much for the information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter