Wish They Had A New Dining Plan

toad611

Earning My Ears
We go to disney yearly and usually purchase the regular Dining Plan. We like eating at the signature restaurants but with the plan we have to limit it to one a trip. Have been tempted to try the Deluxe Dining Plan but have felt that it is just to much food. My wish is that they would come out with another plan that would be between the Deluxe and the Regular, giving you 2 table service and 1 counter service a day. We never do breakfast so we would do a counter service for lunch (faster so more time in the parks) and then could do a signature restaurant each night for diner. I think there would be a lot of others that would like that plan.

What you are describing would be the Deluxe dining plan. The credits you get with the Deluxe plan can be used for either Quick Service or Table Service. When we get the Deluxe plan we usually do a breakfast (table or quick-service) and then a signature restaurant dinner.

They could do one for a lower price if the third meal was a quick service only.

They could do one for a lower price if the third meal was a quick service only.
They have a product that offers what you want, it's just priced higher than what you want to pay. I don't think Disney could add another plan. They already have three plans, plus two packages that include dining. Any new plan would take revenue away from the other plans. Based on your desires, they want you to consider the deluxe plan. And I'm sure enough people buy the deluxe plan for the very reason you describe. Each time someone upgrades from the regular plan, Disney makes more money. And that's really the point of the dining plan.

My dream plan would be 2 table service and 2 snacks. Character Breakfast every day, snacks through the day, and a nice dinner in the evening! I am happy with the regular one though, even though I think we will be paying for a character breakfast OOP next trip.

That is a plan we might consider buying. We might each get a appetizer (usually a salad or soup) at lunch or dinner but not big on desserts.We wouldn't do more than two 2 credit meals on a 6 night trip and other than our breakfast at CP we usually do counter service for breakfast.
Since we are no longer park commandos we do get TS at lunch most days..
I have crunched the numbers before and after our trips. The regular DDP doesn't cover enough and paying OOP gives us more freedom. The DxDP would be a waste of money.So unless free dining is available at PORQ or maybe POR when we go no dining plan for us.
If Disney ever offered a prepay for $X in food on property and get a 5% discount that we would gladly do.

My dream plan would be 2 table service and 2 snacks. Character Breakfast every day, snacks through the day, and a nice dinner in the evening! I am happy with the regular one though, even though I think we will be paying for a character breakfast OOP next trip.

That's exactly the plan that I want, too. Or, 2 TS, 1 QS and no snacks. The snacks are fun, but kind of a waste, really.

But what would you be willing to pay for it?

Let's assume it's like the regular DDP, with entree, dessert and drink. The adult price break down for the TS on the DDP right now is about $37.50 and snacks are $5. So would you pay $85 for an adult for such a plan?

But what would you be willing to pay for it?

Let's assume it's like the regular DDP, with entree, dessert and drink. The adult price break down for the TS on the DDP right now is about $37.50 and snacks are $5. So would you pay $85 for an adult for such a plan?

Considering that the current plan is around 60 and only has one snack, and $85 is significantly less than the deluxe plan, yeah, I would pay that. Since I would be doing a lot of character meals and maybe a signature, it would be worth that to me.

I don't think that plan (2/1/1) would cost $85. Too cheap. (1/1/1) is $60, and that's approx. ($42, $15, $3). So the described plan would cost around $102, possibly marketed at $99.

But really if you'd want that plan, why not just get the regular 1/1/1 plan and buy another meal OOP, picking the cheapest ones to pay for. That's what makes the DDP a value - when you have enough meals planned that you can use your points on expensive ones and pay cash for cheap ones.

I don't think that plan (2/1/1) would cost $85. Too cheap. (1/1/1) is $60, and that's approx. ($42, $15, $3). So the described plan would cost around $102, possibly marketed at $99.

But really if you'd want that plan, why not just get the regular 1/1/1 plan and buy another meal OOP, picking the cheapest ones to pay for. That's what makes the DDP a value - when you have enough meals planned that you can use your points on expensive ones and pay cash for cheap ones.

We weren't pricing the 2/1/1 plan, we were pricing the 2 TS/2 snack plan.

I agree! I don't understand why, if I want to eat three meals a day, I HAVE to get the deluxe plan, use my only snack credit for a meal, or pay OOP for an additional meal. We've done deluxe for that very reason but it was just entirely too much food. We don't really need an appetizer and dessert with every meal and it felt like food was the focus of our trip, instead of enjoying the parks (which was our choice by trying the deluxe plan).

My perfect meal plan would be 2 QS credits, 1 TS credits, 1-2 snack credits, with the option of having either appetizer OR dessert with meal.

I think the current QS plan would be fine for light eaters and deluxe plan is great for those that come to Disney exclusively for dining. I just wish the standard dining plan was a little more middle ground with three meals or at least add another snack. JMO, of course! :cool2:

I agree! I don't understand why, if I want to eat three meals a day, I HAVE to get the deluxe plan, use my only snack credit for a meal, or pay OOP for an additional meal. We've done deluxe for that very reason but it was just entirely too much food. We don't really need an appetizer and dessert with every meal and it felt like food was the focus of our trip, instead of enjoying the parks (which was our choice by trying the deluxe plan).

My perfect meal plan would be 2 QS credits, 1 TS credits, 1-2 snack credits, with the option of having either appetizer OR dessert with meal.

I think the current QS plan would be fine for light eaters and deluxe plan is great for those that come to Disney exclusively for dining. I just wish the standard dining plan was a little more middle ground with three meals or at least add another snack. JMO, of course! :cool2:

The option of app or dessert will never happen. It would mess up the table turn over because they would have no way of knowing who would order just apps or just desserts or which parties would order both and share. You think ADRs are difficult to do now? That would make it even worse.

As to the rest of your perfect meal plan, I ask you the same question as the other PP. What would you be willing to pay for such a plan?

If we use the same "value" as the current QSDP and DDP, a QS is "worth" about $17.50. Two of those is $35. The TS portion is $38. You're now at $73. Add in two snacks at $5 each, and you're paying $83 for an adult on the plan.

However, there are no QS breakfasts that would cost that $17.50. And even a character breakfast isn't the $38 of a TS, so how/where are you going to use those credits that would make the price worth it?

The option of app or dessert will never happen. It would mess up the table turn over because they would have no way of knowing who would order just apps or just desserts or which parties would order both and share. You think ADRs are difficult to do now? That would make it even worse.

As to the rest of your perfect meal plan, I ask you the same question as the other PP. What would you be willing to pay for such a plan?

If we use the same "value" as the current QSDP and DDP, a QS is "worth" about $17.50. Two of those is $35. The TS portion is $38. You're now at $73. Add in two snacks at $5 each, and you're paying $83 for an adult on the plan.

However, there are no QS breakfasts that would cost that $17.50. And even a character breakfast isn't the $38 of a TS, so how/where are you going to use those credits that would make the price worth it?

It's my own (and the OP's) wishful thinking. I don't need to price it out on what I think it would be worth. Just because I don't care for the set up of the current dining plan doesn't mean I can't dream of how I wish it actually was set up so that it worked better for my family.

But I don't think that having the option of appetizer or dessert would affect turn over that drastically. Even though I get dessert as a part of the meal plan, I could order an appetizer and pay OOP at any meal I choose. They can't completely predict the exact time a table will take based on their dining plan options. We could all order alcoholic beverages and that will prolong our dining time. Sharing also can't really be controlled, to an extent. If one person at the table is on Deluxe and gets an appetizer, he or she could easily share with others at the table. My husband and I often switch entrees or desserts so that we can try both. We've never had a Disney server reprimand us for sharing our food.

I would pay for it. Why do you think no one will?

Actually, I don't understand why Disney doesn't just sell meal credits. Other businesses are able to figure the same stuff out, I'm sure Disney could, too. They could sell TS, QS, and snack credits separately and you could just add as much as you need. Even if they had a minimum purchase, such as the current dining plan and then offered additional credits that you could buy on top of that. As it is, Disney actually loses out on dining opportunities with our family, because we use our dining credits for signatures or dinner shows, and then make up for the lack of credits at the Rainforest Cafe or Trex. I know we're not the only ones.

It's my own (and the OP's) wishful thinking. I don't need to price it out on what I think it would be worth. Just because I don't care for the set up of the current dining plan doesn't mean I can't dream of how I wish it actually was set up so that it worked better for my family.

But I don't think that having the option of appetizer or dessert would affect turn over that drastically. Even though I get dessert as a part of the meal plan, I could order an appetizer and pay OOP at any meal I choose. They can't completely predict the exact time a table will take based on their dining plan options. We could all order alcoholic beverages and that will prolong our dining time. Sharing also can't really be controlled, to an extent. If one person at the table is on Deluxe and gets an appetizer, he or she could easily share with others at the table. My husband and I often switch entrees or desserts so that we can try both. We've never had a Disney server reprimand us for sharing our food.

Well said.

I would pay for it. Why do you think no one will? Actually, I don't understand why Disney doesn't just sell meal credits. Other businesses are able to figure the same stuff out, I'm sure Disney could, too. They could sell TS, QS, and snack credits separately and you could just add as much as you need. Even if they had a minimum purchase, such as the current dining plan and then offered additional credits that you could buy on top of that. As it is, Disney actually loses out on dining opportunities with our family, because we use our dining credits for signatures or dinner shows, and then make up for the lack of credits at the Rainforest Cafe or Trex. I know we're not the only ones.
You say you would pay for it. But the whole driving force of this discussion is that people want exactly what the Deluxe plan offers, but at a lower price. Yes, they're willing to accept some additional restrictions for that lower price, but why would Disney do that? If they're willing to pay for it, why not just pay for the Deluxe plan?

As for individual meal credits; if Disney sold those, then people would only buy and use them when they save money. That defeats the entire purpose from Disney's business perspective. Actually, I believe they do sell individual meal credits at Disneyland in California, but nobody buys them. Why? Because they are more expensive than just paying for the meal. They are actually priced higher than ordering the most expensive item at any restaurant. Would you really pay for that?

Disney isn't losing out when you eat at Rainforest Cafe or T-Rexx. They're making money off you then, too. In fact, signatures and dinner shows are usually a worse value than those one-credit restaurants, so you could be making more money for Disney by wasting credits on those meals to begin with.

You say you would pay for it. But the whole driving force of this discussion is that people want exactly what the Deluxe plan offers, but at a lower price. Yes, they're willing to accept some additional restrictions for that lower price, but why would Disney do that? If they're willing to pay for it, why not just pay for the Deluxe plan?

As for individual meal credits; if Disney sold those, then people would only buy and use them when they save money. That defeats the entire purpose from Disney's business perspective. Actually, I believe they do sell individual meal credits at Disneyland in California, but nobody buys them. Why? Because they are more expensive than just paying for the meal. They are actually priced higher than ordering the most expensive item at any restaurant. Would you really pay for that?

Disney isn't losing out when you eat at Rainforest Cafe or T-Rexx. They're making money off you then, too. In fact, signatures and dinner shows are usually a worse value than those one-credit restaurants, so you could be making more money for Disney by wasting credits on those meals to begin with.
I haven't seen any posts saying people want the deluxe at the regular price, so I must have those posts. Can you point me in that direction?

Why not get the deluxe plan? Because it is almost 50 bucks per person more than the regular plan, and it's too much dining. That's why. What we're wanting is something in between. We have 4 Disney adults, so the difference between the regular plan and the deluxe plan is almost 200 per day. I like the convenience of pre-paying for our dining and not paying for meals OOP, but the deluxe plan gives us too many dining credits, and the upcharge is too much. So, the deluxe plan is not a good value. Value being the key word here.

What % of WDW profits are from dining, do you know? Because Disney offering dining at a discount would depend on the profit margins. For ease of number crunching, let's only talk TS. Let's say that a TS meal on the dining plan costs Disney 30 bucks per person. They are charging 37.50, so that's a 7.50 profit. Then, let's say that the dining profits are 80% of WDW total profit margin. If these things are the case, then of course Disney won't sell credits at a discount. However, let's say the TS meal only costs Disney 10 per person, so they have a profit of 27.50, and that the total profit that Disney gets from the dining plan at WDW is only 2% of the total profits they rake in. If in addition, selling the dining plan makes guests feel like they have saved money on food, and will then spend extra on overpriced merchandise, hotel rooms, and experiences, which make up a higher % of the Disney profits, then they would discount the dining plans.

So, without knowing what the profits and costs are to WDW, we have no idea if they can offer the plan at a discount. I assume that they can, and if guests stop feeling like the plan is a good value, then I think they will offer a discount or change the plan. It all depends on what their numbers crunchers are telling them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter