Wish Trip DCL Dream July 8-13 2012

H2OMama

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone,
My 4 year old son (Reed) has a rare genetic condition called MPS IIIA. He is missing an enzyme the body needs and this causes a bunch of waste material to store up in the cells all over his body (but primarily in the brain), since he is unable to break it down to get rid of it.
Currently there is no approved medications to treat this condition and life expectancy is only into the very early teen years with the type and sever mutations he has, the average life span for type A's is 12 years old. While we are devastated with this diagnosis, hope is on the horizon if it can just get here fast enough for Reed that he has not developed too much damage to be fixable, he might just have a different fate then is usual. :goodvibes At least this is what we are praying for. There is currently a phase I/II trial going on in the UK with 12 kids that are receiving this missing enzyme to their brains via an intrathecal port placed into their spines. Once or twice a month they go to the hospital for their infusion of the enzyme and it travels from the spinal fluid into the brain. The trail will not be over until mid 2012 and no information is being released yet, but we are very hopeful this will work as a similar trail for MPSII (a sister disease) started a year ahead and is delivered the same way and it is having at least some success as reported by a few parents here in the US that have their kids in that trial. :cheer2:
Background: Reed was a normal baby and toddler until about the age of 2.5 when we started noticing his peers pass him up. He wasn't the fastest learner to start with, but was hitting all his milestones until his 3rd birthday. The short version is after talking things over with his pediatrician and getting genetic tests run on him we discovered he had MPS IIIA also know as Sanfilippo syndrome type A. Basically once too much waste product builds up, the brains signals get all messed up and the child can't learn much anymore, they stay stuck in this toddler mentality for some number of years then start regression. First unlearning their vocabulary words until they have no speech left, then unlearning how to walk and swallow their food until they are in a wheelchair and on feeding tubes, eventually everything is shut down completely.
As this disease is progressive and the child's abilities become more and more abnormal each year we chose to plan Reed's MAW trip now while he can enjoy it best.
Several of the behaviors are like that of an autistic child, several are like that of a toddler who can't learn. For example he doesn't have much in the way of reasoning skills, so he can't understand when he can't have his way, so he still has tantrums like a small toddler at times. On top of that he is big for his age, so he looks 1-2 years older then he is! :eek:
His big sister, Aziza (8), is the best!! She is so loving and patient with him and as we often all have to bend to Reed's needs to prevent melt downs she is seldom getting what is fair treatment. Ex: Reed always has to have the TV on his shows, he has to pick the food choices he wants, we are regularly having to go home from something fun for her b/c he can't handle it anymore, and she often doesn't get normal 8 yo. activities b/c I am always taking him to his therapies or doctor appointments or b/c it is something he can't do and will not sit through for her to do. Honestly Reed's condition affects my daughters life the most right now as Reed has no idea anything is wrong with him or what will happen next to him. She is such a lovely person it is unreal and I am so thankful for her wonderful personality. She engages him, bends to almost all his needs without complaining, and often volunteers to read books to him to try to help get him to sleep at night, and she understands what is happening to him and has to live with that knowledge.
I am so thankful that MAW offers these magical moments for the children that are in the life threatening situation and that the other family members get to participate with them. :love: I really look forward to this special trip and the memories we will be able to treasure forever from it. O-and I forgot to mention Reed will celebrate his 5th birthday on the ship! How magical will that be!!!! party:
I have been reading on the Dis boards the last few days trying to learn as much as possible to make sure I am prepared to sprinkle a bit of momma pixie dust in along with the Disney and MAW pixie dust! So far this is what I have learned: I need to decorate the cabin door, join a FE group for our cruise, figure out how to make a FE :-)rotfl:), get a copy of the Pass Porters open mouse book, and bring pillow cases and a picture matte with me to drop off at GS the first day along with some candy for the nice characters! What else have I not learned yet that will make this trip all that much more magical/memorable?
I look forward to hearing your ideas and meeting some of the wonderful Disney fanatics on this board!
Thanks,
Zezee (DH is named Roy)

272975_2184855187530_1431510781_2465975_8378284_o.jpg

What a beautiful family.

How exciting that your son will celebrate his birthday on the cruise. It's heartwarming to read how your sons big sissy is so patient, giving and kind. I can see you are very proud of her :)

Reed just had a hernia repair surgery and after a couple of days he is now acting almost normal again! YEAH!! Glad to have that part behind us now! I was able to go shopping yesterday and pick up the materials needed to make FE gifts with. I am excited as I think I have a pretty unique idea I came up with to give out that people will enjoy! It it hard after looking at the the FE gifts posted to not just copy one someone else already did, but finally I figured something out I haven't seen posted yet. :)
Anyone know how I can get added to the going and planning page for the Make a Wish families?

Joining in !

What an exciting trip coming up ! I so want to do a cruise at some point. Reading TR and seeing pics on here has me convinced.

Aziza sounds like an amazing sister. :love:

Looking forward to following along on your journey !

Joining in !

What an exciting trip coming up ! I so want to do a cruise at some point. Reading TR and seeing pics on here has me convinced.

Aziza sounds like an amazing sister. :love:

Looking forward to following along on your journey !

Thanks Moodyzblu! I really really hope you get that cruise you want soon! Your boys look adorable in their Toy Story PJ's!! :goodvibes

Time for an update!!! Reed is doing relatively well, he is having more trouble remembering words he used to know and more trouble being able to focus or sit still, but we knew this was coming. His health outside of the progressive brain damage is stable for now, so that is good.

I have been having fun planning little surprises for his Make a Wish trip. I printed out some Mickey ears with the birthday hat for the port hole on the door. I have made enough gifts for the number of people in our FE group so far. All I need to do now is put them into pretty packages with a note. :)

His grandma is buying him some Disney PJ's and a Disney pirate costume for his 5th birthday so he has them to wear on the trip. :thumbsup2 Gotta love grandma!!!

The only thing I have not figured out yet is how to print out some magnets that say something like "Reed's Make a Wish trip 2012" or similar. So if anybody else reading this knows how to do those magnets or how to change one somebody else has an image for with another kids name on it, please let me know. I would love to figure this out so I can put a few extra magnets on our door for Reed. :flower3:

Only 7 weeks until we leave!!! I can't believe it is finally getting so close. :cheer2: Reed can't wait to go on "Mickey Mouse's BIGGG boat"! He doesn't understand yet just how fun it is going to be for him. Like most little boys he loves trains, planes, boats, ect. so just knowing he gets to go on a big boat and Goofy, Donald, Mickey, Minnie and Pluto will be there too is enough of an excitement in itself. He has this amazing "happy dance" he does when he gets excited, it is like an automatic reflex thing. I can't wait to see him happy dancing all over that ship for 5 straight days!!!

Joining in! you have a cute family. I have never done a cruise so I dont know much about them...... But you will all have blast!

Your kids are so sweet, and your daughter has the most beautiful personality!

What is an FE group?

Joining in! you have a cute family. I have never done a cruise so I dont know much about them...... But you will all have blast!

Your kids are so sweet, and your daughter has the most beautiful personality!

What is an FE group?

Thank you 4Monkeys. :)

FE stands for fish extender. This is a fish shaped hook thing next to the cruise ship door and people make hanging wall pockets they call a fish extender so you can hold more stuff outside your door. On the DIS board here people meet up that are sailing on the same ship/dates and form a group that want to participate in a gift exchange. Each person brings a gift for everyone else (and will get one from everyone else). The gifts are deposited at random through out the cruise. There are a lot of threads about this if you search "FE" it will bring up threads with pictures of them and of some gifts people have given and received.
For some of us this is great fun to think up and create gifts to give. It is a similar concept to the Halloween "BOO" that neighbors pass around, except this cheer can be spread any time of year. pixiedust:

Thank you 4Monkeys. :)

FE stands for fish extender. This is a fish shaped hook thing next to the cruise ship door and people make hanging wall pockets they call a fish extender so you can hold more stuff outside your door. On the DIS board here people meet up that are sailing on the same ship/dates and form a group that want to participate in a gift exchange. Each person brings a gift for everyone else (and will get one from everyone else). The gifts are deposited at random through out the cruise. There are a lot of threads about this if you search "FE" it will bring up threads with pictures of them and of some gifts people have given and received.
For some of us this is great fun to think up and create gifts to give. It is a similar concept to the Halloween "BOO" that neighbors pass around, except this cheer can be spread any time of year. pixiedust:

That sounds interesting..... can't wait to see what all you get and what you created 7

Hi! you have two beautiful children :goodvibes Reed is a lucky little boy to have such a loving and sweet big sister :goodvibes:goodvibes

you all are going to have a wonderful, magic trip on the Dream! we went on the Magic when my DD was almost 5, think she danced around the ship the whole time!!! the food and character experiences were awesome!

looking forward to hearing more of your plans!

You are going to have the best time on the Dream! I am glad your family is able to celebrate Reed's birthday on Mickey's boat. (That is the best place on earth to celebrate important occassions like that!) I will be reading along wishing for the best for your family. :flower3:

:wave2: Hi ... just came upon your PTR and you have a beautiful family.

I've never been on a Disney cruise but everyone I know that has gone on one has had an amazing time.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter