Wishes behind the castle?? Your thoughts.

patandlisa

yah, I said it.
Hi gang, I'm new to this board-- but totally in love with it!! This is my first visit to WDW, and am worried about viewing wishes. Since we will be in MK a few days before Thanksgiving--I'm sure crowd levels will be high. It seems like everyone wants to watch wishes from Main street. I just don't think we'll have time to stake out a spot and wait a few hours.

So, my question is... Can you see it from behind the castle? Let's say we are in Fantasyland. Also, we will be there on a EMH night if that makes a difference. As long as my kids see the fireworks, they will be happy.

Thanks in advance:flower3:

Before I read your full question, I was thinking "Not if its their first time seeing it".
Unfortunately, it was designed to be seen from Main Street.
If you are familiar with it and don't mind a skewed view, then from the sides (towards Tomorrowland or Adventureland/ Liberty Square) are still *ok*.

But from Fantasyland, unfortunately, would not be a great view. (In fact, I know they used to rope off areas of Fantasyland during the show).

I know you say your kids will be happy "just to see fireworks", but your experience will be SO much better, even sticking out the crowds.

My opinion, at least ;)

You can see fireworks and here the spiel from behind the castle just not the full display. We watched from behind the castle near Dumbo this year and it was wonderful, though we have seen it many times from in front.

We've done both also. The first time, I think, needs to be done in front. (Sorry!) But behind the castle isn't bad. We sat by the Pooh Character meeting spot (across from Mrs. Potts Cupboard) and had a seat at a table with an umbrella. We liked it just fine-- except be warned-- fireworks seemed much louder there and my 4 yr old was afraid they were going to fall down us and catch us on fire! But it was truly an awe-inspiring view if you're up for it.

My advice? Don't do it. We just got home from WDW last night, and last week I got a sharp burn under my eye from falling ashes from the Wishes fireworks while standing behind the castle. It felt like a beesting and I got the kids out of there immediately! It was good for getting on rides - we walked onto Snow White and Winnie the Pooh. Keep in mind you'll be waiting around a looooong time after the fireworks for the park to clear out and you'll be at the back of the pack of humanity, which means excruciating waits for bus transportation to resorts (we waited 2+ hours before we bailed and took a ferry to Wilderness Lodge, then a bus to DTD to get to our resort).

My next strategy will be to park my butt near the train station on Main Street and scoot out as quickly as possible.

I appreciate your advice. I'm just worried because my DH isn't crazy about crowds. (i know what you are thinking--why take him??? haha) So, I can't imagine asking him to sit on a tablecloth for 2 hours on the curb on Main street. But, if it has to be done, then I guess we will do it. I'm sure it's a much better view. Also thinking of the dessert party, if it's extended. But it's oh so expensive.

I personally am not a big believer in waiting an hour or more to see Wishes. We have seen great views of Wishes from all over the park. It is true that standing in front of the castle will probably offer you the best show so we try to get as close as we can to Main Street without taking anyone's spot or blocking their view if they've been waiting a long time.

We've always been able to find a spot on the Tomorrowland bridge or near the Crystal Palace within 25 minutes or so. A word of warning, you might have to dodge a few trees and light poles...but I've never had a bad showing or not been able to see. We actually love standing over by the Tomorrowland bridge because Tinkerbell flies right over you! The view from Fantasyland is really cool, a completely different vantage point, but I wouldn't recommend it for your first time.

So if waiting isn't your cup of tea, then I say don't do it. We may do it one day, just to see the full effect, but not anytime soon most likely. It is truly beautiful no matter where you see it from! Enjoy!

We've watched from both Main Street and behind the castle. I definitely prefer Main Street, it just wasn't the same show from the other point of view. With that said, we don't usually go to the World during really busy seasons, so we've never had a problem watching from Main Street. We've never really staked out a spot, we just show up 15 - 20 minutes ahead of time and find a place to stand. The nice thing about fireworks is that as long as you aren't standing under a tree, you can stand almost anywhere and have a good view. As opposed to a parade where you really have to get there ahead of time to see everything going by. Have fun on your first trip - the fireworks are definitely not to be missed!

We LOVE watching it from behind the castle!! We have done in front of the castle before and IMHO I felt claustrophobic with all the people pushing in on me, and then every time I end up with a really tall guy in front of me who puts his kid on his shoulders...

When you are behind the castle the fireworks go off all around you, so I always feel like I'm in the middle of the show!! We usually stand near Pooh! Very few people back there, and nobody pushing on you!!

They pump the music for the fireworks in all around the park so you will be able to hear the music for it!!

:goodvibes

I agree with everyone else about watching from the front for your first time. We saw it from the Dumbo ride last year and it was not only extremely loud, you couldn't hear the music at all.

I'm with the PP that said about ash falling into her eyes. It happened to me too but it was more like twigs (probably the burnt cardboard) but considering you are looking up having something fall into your eye is not fun. We also like the Tomorrowland Bridge and will get there 15 mins before it starts. Last December we even watched it from the Ferry. We actually stayed on the Ferry to see the whole thing. Though they don't pipe in the music of it.

I'm with the PP that said about ash falling into her eyes. It happened to me too but it was more like twigs (probably the burnt cardboard) but considering you are looking up having something fall into your eye is not fun. We also like the Tomorrowland Bridge and will get there 15 mins before it starts. Last December we even watched it from the Ferry. We actually stayed on the Ferry to see the whole thing. Though they don't pipe in the music of it.

Just so I don't get this wrong. The ferry you are talking about is the one from MK to the TTC. I was wondering if that was a good view or not. Thanks

FOr your first time I recommend watching from the front of the castle. Even showing up 20 minutes early there are plenty of good places - you may just have to do a little searching. Seeing it from main street with the lights dimmed, the music the loudest, the light effects on the castle and seeing tinkerbell is much better. We viewed it from behind and you have some fireworks around the castle but most are behind you causing you to constantly keep turning around. It's fun for a change but it's not intended to be viewed from behind.

The fireworks from behind the castle are much louder and do not make sense with the choreography of the music and dialogue. It's also very difficult to hear what is being said. Just go out on Main Street and watch it from there. There is no need to stake out a spot far in advance, the nice thing about the Wishes fireworks is that you look UP to see them, so its okay if someone is in front of you (as long as they don't put a kid on their shoulders at the last minute, that is). Not like Illuminations where there are things happening at ground level.

I would have to agree with most PPs that your first Wishes experience should be from the front of the castle. That's the only place I would watch it from at this point (I've seen it twice). I might venture off from that vantage point once I've seen it 5 more times or so. :)

You definitely don't have to wait for hours to find a great place to watch, but you will likely be shoulder to shoulder until you find your place. In Feb (Pres week, very busy), we watched Spectromagic from the front of the park, then just followed the crowd to the front of the castle. I figured we'd go till we couldn't go anymore, then that would be our spot. We made it to the outside of the hub before gridlock set in, we had a seat on a curb, and it was a great spot. I am not saying the crowd thing was pleasant (I heard more than one person say, "This is fricking ridiculous!"), but if you have the right attitude and just get your spot, it's SOO enjoyable to watch the show! I don't know about the "sitting on the tablecloth". I don't recall seeing anyone sitting on anything, usually everyone's just sitting on the ground. And it's really not like you can find this nice out-of-the-way spot to put your cloth down and sit for a while, like I said, it gets pretty congested right there and people will be walking all around you.

If this doesn't sound like something DH can deal with, there is also the possibility of taking the monorail to the Polynesian resort and watching from the beach. They put the music on there, too, but I hear it's not very loud. The music, etc, really is part of the show, so keep that in mind if you are thinking of watching from the ferry.

Best of luck!

Thanks guys, you have really helped clarify this for me. I think we will just go with the flow, and try to make it to main street. I guess you're right. Since it's our first time, we should see it how it was meant to be seen. Maybe we will even stand down by the train station, so we can just hop on the train after wishes, and take that to Frontierland, etc-- since it will be an EMH night. That way we wouldn't have to fight the crowd to get back through the hub. I wonder if the train will be running?? I'll have to check into that.

I would not recommend watching them behind the castle. We tried it in Dec and it was just awful! We had to look STRAIGHT up the whole time constantly looking from side to side. It starts to hurt your neck after a while. The view is just not good either! And like others have said you get some debris and lots of smoke falling on you. Not sure if you have small kids but it is LOUD there. It scared my 3 year old!! To this day if we even mention fireworks he starts saying NO!!!! Plus being your first time you need to see it from the front of the castle. It is so much better there!!

On the other hand, we've watched from Fantasyland and enjoyed it a lot... did not find it detracted from the experience, no ash, and no problem with hearing or too loud.

I can't stand watching wishes from Main Street or the hub. It's hard trying to find a place we can safely sit to wait for it and I can't stand for an hour. If you sit people step on you or run you over. Also we have found a terrible time keeping a spot that our child could watch without an adult standing in the way of their view. So we go to an uncrowded area and still enjoy it.

Our favorite place to watch it is the bridge going to tomorrowland. Main street is just too crowded for my crew.

Hi gang, I'm new to this board-- but totally in love with it!! This is my first visit to WDW, and am worried about viewing wishes. Since we will be in MK a few days before Thanksgiving--I'm sure crowd levels will be high. It seems like everyone wants to watch wishes from Main street. I just don't think we'll have time to stake out a spot and wait a few hours.

So, my question is... Can you see it from behind the castle? Let's say we are in Fantasyland. Also, we will be there on a EMH night if that makes a difference. As long as my kids see the fireworks, they will be happy.

Thanks in advance:flower3:

It's a great view :3dglasses, it's just "different". You don't get the total effect, but I think it's worth it to stand back there, it's MUCH less crowded, and no waiting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter