• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wishes Dessert Party - No more assigned seating

How are people feeling about this now that After hours has presented itself. The new After Hours has been added to our MK day so now I am wondering if I will be fighting even more people for a spot at wishes. Wondering if this addition has added to the desire for this Dessert Party.

Not for me. I'm just not trying to get into an elbow battle for a table, and I'm not above loudly saying to someone that decides to pop a squat at my table or put their butt near my face/food... So it's best I skip it.

I'll end up either booking the new GF dessert party or watching from the Poly beach. We luckily have a lake view room at the Poly next trip so it's more of a none issue currently, but maybe they'll offer something brand new and double the price in the park! Woo!

We went on 3/19 and, honestly, it was not as bad as it sounds. I was only in line for an hour (which may have been too long but I didn't have anything else to do). The hour before Wishes was spent at a table, with treats, in a chair, and just chilling with my family. If you line up in the parks for 2 hours, you are on the ground or in another uncomfortable position for a long time.

For us, it was worth the view and the comfort of the space. We were in the second "row" and had a great view. Yes, I lined up 2 hrs ahead of time but the party started an hour later, so it was really only an hour wait..... in the shade and in a comfortable area. We were a party of 6, so we were seated at a table for 6. By having the family join me later in the queue, it didn't take good seats away from the people behind us....... who were also doing it. Many families showed up and then took turns taking bathroom breaks. I heard at least 2 parents telling their kids to go wash their hands.

Nobody went to the rails or invaded our space. Love the cheese and crackers with all the sweets.

So my reservation says 9:10 and wishes is at 10. So would 8:00 be a good time to line up?

So my reservation says 9:10 and wishes is at 10. So would 8:00 be a good time to line up?
If the pattern holds, they will let you in 1 hour 15 minutes before Wishes, so an hour before would be 7:45. However, an hour early may be too early. I'm guessing 8pm would be fine but that's just a guess from my one-time experience.

I would guess it depends on when they let people in. If Wishes starts at 10:00 and they allow people in an hour before the fireworks I have no doubt people will be lining up 2 hours before Wishes and an hour before they open the entrance to those no longer reserved seats so they can get first choice of seats. What a difference from what it used to be for 1/2 the price and reserved seats.

We were at the park several weeks ago and we walked past the dessert party location. There were very few people there. I asked the attendant if there were any openings. She said yes I asked how much? She said $70.00. I said now I know why you have so many empty seats and walked on. Last year it was $25.00 a person. Got an ice cream from the Plaza and found a really nice spot to watch.

I've looked at that photo in post #46 and I don't see any tables for two set up? Are there any or do they expect people to share? It will be just me and my six year old daughter and I certainly don't want to share a table with someone else.

Looks like they just released September dates. Nothing available but why bother if it's a free for all.

I've looked at that photo in post #46 and I don't see any tables for two set up? Are there any or do they expect people to share? It will be just me and my six year old daughter and I certainly don't want to share a table with someone else.
Well we are a party of 3.
I wouldn't mind sharing a 5/6 top with other people. You do it in Germany so why not here?

Well we are a party of 3.
I wouldn't mind sharing a 5/6 top with other people. You do it in Germany so why not here?

My daughter is extremely timid. If others are at our table, she will completely clam up and cling to me. Not much fun.

My review.
They let people in at 8:45 for a 10pm wishes.
Yes it is first come first serve. I got there at 7:35, while DW and DD were visiting A&E, and was 2nd in line. By the time it opened the line was pretty deep but manageable.
Since I got there early we had a prime seat, right in the left corner per one of the CM suggestion. Desserts were very good, no one crowded us at all, we were a party of 3 We didn't share a table and we met a couple of great people in line that sat at the table next to us. The show was amazing as always.
They had an area set up to the right of the viewing area that didn't have tables or chairs set up for people to stand but no one crowded the rails.
This is something I would recommend that everyone experience once, and while we loved it, I wouldn't do it again.

Then you don't want creepy me at your table. I'll feed that kids mucho sugar and then watch the results.
You're right - it is creepy to state that you'd feed a stranger's child. What do you expect she'd be eating at a DESSERT party, anyway? Very odd post.

In any event, some people don't want to interact with strangers, creepy or otherwise. It's called introversion and there's nothing wrong with it.

My review.
They let people in at 8:45 for a 10pm wishes.
Yes it is first come first serve. I got there at 7:35, while DW and DD were visiting A&E, and was 2nd in line. By the time it opened the line was pretty deep but manageable.
Since I got there early we had a prime seat, right in the left corner per one of the CM suggestion. Desserts were very good, no one crowded us at all, we were a party of 3 We didn't share a table and we met a couple of great people in line that sat at the table next to us. The show was amazing as always.
They had an area set up to the right of the viewing area that didn't have tables or chairs set up for people to stand but no one crowded the rails.
This is something I would recommend that everyone experience once, and while we loved it, I wouldn't do it again.

So then they line jumped in front of all those people behind you were also patiently waiting 2 1/2 before Wishes and also paying $50 plus tax and wanting to get a good table?... I know, I'm throwing gasoline on the fire, but when the seats were reserved this was irrelevant nor did one need to stand in line hours before Wishes... I guess I'm old school and believe that everyone should be in line and waiting with the exception of a child having to use the restroom. Ok, I will now step off my soap box.

The CMs told me that only one needed to stand in line because you are seated at a table according to your party size. It's not like the parties behind you get pushed back farther. You will get the best table for your party size, no matter who is in line. In fact, they seemed happy that not all of my family waited with me because is can be a narrow passage if it is filled with lots of people.

If it were a ride or attraction with rows of seats, I would agree about only one person in line for an entire group. However, reservations for this are accepted based on the type of table available at the time of reservation, not the number of people.

So then they line jumped in front of all those people behind you were also patiently waiting 2 1/2 before Wishes and also paying $50 plus tax and wanting to get a good table?... I know, I'm throwing gasoline on the fire, but when the seats were reserved this was irrelevant nor did one need to stand in line hours before Wishes... I guess I'm old school and believe that everyone should be in line and waiting with the exception of a child having to use the restroom. Ok, I will now step off my soap box.

I'm not sure what you mean.
No one jumped in front of me. I was second in line and my party went into the seating area second. Only one person from your party needs to stand in line. No one in line was upset and everyone was extremely civil and pleasant. No one even attempted to crowd the rail and everyone was extremely nice and civil to one another. All of the tables were at least seating for 4.

The CMs told me that only one needed to stand in line because you are seated at a table according to your party size. It's not like the parties behind you get pushed back farther. You will get the best table for your party size, no matter who is in line. In fact, they seemed happy that not all of my family waited with me because is can be a narrow passage if it is filled with lots of people.

If it were a ride or attraction with rows of seats, I would agree about only one person in line for an entire group. However, reservations for this are accepted based on the type of table available at the time of reservation, not the number of people.

I'm not sure what you mean.
No one jumped in front of me. I was second in line and my party went into the seating area second. Only one person from your party needs to stand in line. No one in line was upset and everyone was extremely civil and pleasant. No one even attempted to crowd the rail and everyone was extremely nice and civil to one another. All of the tables were at least seating for 4.

I'm willing to apologize when I'm wrong and this would appear to be the case. My apologies.

Maybe it's me, but my view is much different than alot of people's here (which isn't that abnormal). I just picked up an ADR for May and yes, it is more expensive. And yes, there are no more reserved tables. I agree maybe the value isn't what it was.

But where I differ is basing a decision now on what the value used to be. What used to be isn't an option anymore. The decision is pay the higher prices for a reserved area for Wishes and not fight the crowds on Main Street, in/near the hub etc. or save the money and fight the crowds. For me, even with the higher costs it's still worth it.

I don't refuse to buy gas when it hits $4+ a gallon because it used to be less than $2...I buy the gas because it beats walking or riding my bike 30 miles to work each day. When the price point hits a mark where it is not desirable anymore, people will stop buying and the price will go down.

Maybe it's me, but my view is much different than alot of people's here (which isn't that abnormal). I just picked up an ADR for May and yes, it is more expensive. And yes, there are no more reserved tables. I agree maybe the value isn't what it was.

But where I differ is basing a decision now on what the value used to be. What used to be isn't an option anymore. The decision is pay the higher prices for a reserved area for Wishes and not fight the crowds on Main Street, in/near the hub etc. or save the money and fight the crowds. For me, even with the higher costs it's still worth it.

I don't refuse to buy gas when it hits $4+ a gallon because it used to be less than $2...I buy the gas because it beats walking or riding my bike 30 miles to work each day. When the price point hits a mark where it is not desirable anymore, people will stop buying and the price will go down.

I don't think you're view is different, honestly. You just happen to still think it's worth it.

I don't, only because I can do the same thing - grab some snacks and park my butt on the curb for a fraction of the cost. The appeal for me was the assigned seats. So yeah, it's still reserved, but it's not what I'm looking for even if it was a brand new event.

I don't think you're view is different, honestly. You just happen to still think it's worth it.

I don't, only because I can do the same thing - grab some snacks and park my butt on the curb for a fraction of the cost. The appeal for me was the assigned seats. So yeah, it's still reserved, but it's not what I'm looking for even if it was a brand new event.
Same here. Main appeal to me was fireworks seating WITHOUT THE WAIT. Now for a decent view, I have to line up and wait. If this is how it was from the start, not likely that I would have done it.

On top of that, having experienced it many times when 1) seats were reserved and 2) back when desserts were better and more stations were set up, takes this right off my list.

I'm trying Ferrytale Wishes in Aug. Will see what that's like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter