Wishes in Catsablanca: 7.22.13 Epcot Wedding PJ&TR! Updated 03/09/15

Oh my! I just got caught up with your wedding and it just looks amazing! I'm so happy that everything turned out so beautifully for you! Can't wait to hear about your Desert Party :)

I'm sooooooooo behind! Behold... A whole slew of commentary & well wishes!!

Luuuurve what you did with those frames from Michaels & the international movie posters & the "admit one" ticket too!

Did your hand/wrist cramp up from all that hole punching for the fan programs? I've been using a corner rounder punch for my guest book cards, thank you cards, etc., and after doing it so many times, I injured my wrist from overuse! I had to wear a brace for a week or so! :(

OMG, I feel your frustration on the newsletter/ bus ticket thing. I can't believe how much stuff you've ended up designing. It's a good thing you've got those skills!

The honeymoon shirts are adorbs!!! Did you design those, too?

The $10 delivery cost for your box (first day of the trip) seems so bogus. Typical Disney milking everything for all they can. This is why we decided not to ship ahead any provisions for our honeymoon trip next month; CR also charges for packages. The lady didn't seem very helpful about your photopass requrest either. Lame.

"I'm embarrassed to say how generous I was with the gifts from the MOHs. I gave them a Cinderella compact (from the Cinderella Sephora collection; I'd been hoarding these under my bed for a looooong time), a day pass to Islands of Adventure for my "Bachelorette party" and a day pass to Disney World to cover the rehearsal/rehearsal dinner day." There's nothing to be embarrassed about; you gave them a useful keepsake and the gift of experience, which always matters more in the long run than any material object. Moreover, they probably put a lot of time & money into attending & helping with your wedding, so it was fair to cover their WDW day pass. Good for you.

LOL @ Picabu

"The woman at the desk told us that a new policy mandated a $2 fee for each bag to be delivered to each room." ***? Do you think this was legit, or do you think she was pocketing the cash?

"Here's a hot tip: If you're running errands around Orlando for whatever reason--picking up a marriage license, renting a tuxedo or what have you--the best advice I can give you is bring quarters, because you'll definitely run into some tolls. We were... unprepared for the first one, and had to... creatively... avoid... it. Bring quarters!" Good advice and something anyone should note when traveling. We made this mistake too (at 2 a.m.), but we couldn't avoid the toll because it was on the highway (East Coast). So, the state sent us a ticket for $75 after the fact.

I'm equally surprised to hear about all express pass lanes because of your buttons! Sweet deal! I can't believe it kept working throughout the park, too. I haven't heard about anything like that. I wasn't going to bother wearing bride/groom stuff when we go next month, but maybe we should. We already have the express pass though because we're staying at one of their hotels for 3 nights. That photo on Forbidden Journey is adorbs. I don't think they had photos when we went.

"He told us to look at each other while he was talking instead of looking at him, even if it felt rude, because it makes for a better photo; it was great advice and I wish DH had remembered it during the ceremony. He also said to count "three alligators" (not spell! ) during our kiss--again, for better photos." These are good tips to know! Thanks for sharing them!

I can't believe so many characters from the 3 o'clock parade stopped next to you! Luuuucky!

Love how your bouquet turned out :)

Love that pic of you with the yeti (getting ready)! So cute! So happy!

Love that hair piece, too! So much to love! It's neat seeing it all come together.

Bryan, you look like a boss in that limo, like you take a limo every day. LOL. Niiiiice.

<3 It's fun seeing all the pictures now! Your cake came out fantastic, and the kitties look so freaking cute on top.

Hi Ladies! So sorry for sort of abandoning the TR, things have been a little hectic and I may have lost DH as a co-author midway through the next installment, which held me up finishing it up.

Thank you all so much for your kind words and patience! I'm going to try harder to set aside more time to get back to it, I really do want to finish this for myself as well! :goodvibes

So without further ado, here is the conclusion of our wedding day!

The Big Day: Interlude and the Beginning of the Honeymoon Magic
Bride POV:

We exited the France pavilion from the same entrance we'd arrived earlier that morning, the west side of Chefs de France. We got quite a lot of stares from the nearby park guests, which was kind of nice. :goodvibes (What DisBride wouldn't want to be the one to inspire a little girl to dream about their own Disney wedding one day?)

Backstage DH and I took our leave from our guests as they entered the bus once more and we slid into our towncar bound for the Grand Floridian and the beginning of our honeymoon!

It was around 2:00pm in the afternoon when our reception had come to a close, which meant I'd already been awake somewhere in the vicinity of 12 hours. In the quiet car ride over I felt myself nodding off a little, but I tried very hard to resist because I couldn't take my veil off and I didn't want to crush it or my hair. Soon thereafter we reached the GF and we got a lot more stares. Yay!

The weather was starting to look a little grey and feel a lot more humid than when I was last outside. I was already agonizing internally about our Dessert Party.

We went over to the check-in reception, only ourselves and our top cake tier in tow. Did I mention that we took that along with us? Check-in was quite empty, which was great. We were helped right away by a whole slew of cast members, and we were informed we had been upgraded (although she never used the word "upgraded") to a Magic Kingdom view. Yay!!! And we got our fridge. Thank goodness!!!

The receptionist called over a porter who led us over to collect the luggage we'd had sent over. As we walked over he gave us a little tour of the GF, pointing out the floors, in particular the Peter Pan floor. He asked if we could name all the characters, and mentioned how everyone can name Peter Pan, about half can name Wendy, and then only about 10% or so can name John and Michael. I'm in the 10%, yay!

He fetched our bags, and got one of those large golf cart transports. He drove us over to our new home a dormer room in the Boca Chica building, helped us up to our room and even gave us the tour there too. Oh, Grand Floridian, how you spoil us!

IMG_9711_zps499aa93d.jpg

DSC_0142_zps6872abf6.jpg

Have you guys ever noticed the pineapple carvings in the bedposts? I love taking photos of pineapple motifs in hotels. Pineapples are a serious sign of Victorian wealth, so any "Victorian" style hotel worth its salt has a pineapple somewhere.

DSC_0148_zps82ae72e1.jpg

Have you guys tried the foot rub (i.e. the little green tube bottle in the middle), it really works wonders. Especially after a long day in bridal heels!

DSC_0132_zpsb6ecefea.jpg

Our dormer balcony view

DSC_0137_zps594e6911.jpg

Once we were finally settled in, photos taken, cake in the fridge, dress on the hanger... :rotfl: We did what any newly couple probably does, check our email and facebook. Seriously, what else! Hahaha! Bryan had received a rather interesting little piece of Disney magic, an invitation to make a Fastpass+ lunch reservation at Be Our Guest! Cool! We had the option of choosing the early or later seating, and we went with the earliest. I don't recall exactly what options we were given in terms of what day we could use the Fastpass+, but we went for the next day. I don't know how common all this knowledge is now, but at the time I knew next to nothing about this process so, I'll just go ahead with some details.

DSC_0162_zps575c4b54.jpg

You have the option of arriving at your designated time and placing your order, or ordering your whole meal ahead of time and just arriving and paying. We decided to go with the latter, to really get the full effect of the Fastpass+ system. The whole menu is presented to you on the website, and you add which items you would like to your "cart". It knows who you are on the site too, so you can choose what items you want for each guest. It was all really cool! My attempts to get us MyMagic bands didn't really pan out, but I felt like we still got to experience some of this new beta testing, which really added to the honeymoon magic.

DSC_0157_zpsfbb5e26c.jpg

DSC_0163_zps2058c940.jpg

Our reservation all set for tomorrow, we decided to just chill out and watch some television. At four o'clock, there was a knock at the door. Bryan went to answer that. We had received an arrangement of flowers! What?! Yay!

DSC_0167_zpsefc1c2cb.jpg

DSC_0171_zpsb9e218f0.jpg

Aren't they lovely? Well... I think there's actually a story to go with these as it turns out. These were sent over from our DFTW floral planner, which I thought... I've never heard of brides getting flowers sent over on their honeymoon, that is so nice! Heh. It turns out she called my home in Canada on Friday or Saturday (while we were already in WDW) telling me my lily-of-the-valley had arrived already wilted, so they were going to use silk ones, but no one would be able to tell the difference. In all fairness, you can't really tell the difference, except if you scroll back to the photo of me in the limo leaving the Boardwalk. In that crappy iPhone photo, you can tell they look a little... off.

IMG_3092_zps298e1a03.jpg

Well, back to TV.

At around 5:00pm I got the call I had been really dreading: Michelle, calling to tell me that my Dessert Party plans had been cancelled due to rain and that new plans had been made. Looking out our window, it had not really rained, it was just grey. But apparently there was serious monsoon action going on over in the Epcot area. Our guests later confirmed this to be true. Unstable Florida summer weather! Blerg.

Anyway, back to the new plan. Our desserts had been moved inside the American Adventure Parlour and our viewing had been moved to Italy Isola. WHAT?! Italy Isola for 30 guests, how could anyone complain about that! In all honesty my biggest fear had been that we would be moved to Norway for desserts, so with that not happening, I was really looking on the bright side of the situation.

My biggest disappointment about the rain situation was that I had to make the call to not wear my wedding dress. I had no idea what the weather was really going to be like over at Epcot and at best I could probably expect a whole lot of puddles to wade through. I didn't want to risk completely dirtying my dress before our MK and DHS shoots, so with reluctance I didn't put my wedding dress back on. I was so lucky that I bought a nice white dress for our V&A meal, because without it I probably would have had to risk ruining the wedding gown.

Groom POV

Groom here.

Our towncar picked us up from the Grand Floridian around 6:30 p.m. and we arrived backstage at Epcot a little earlier than expected. Our guide asked us if we wanted to wait backstage for the rest of our guests, or go ahead to the American Adventure Parlour. We opted for the Parlour, which turned out to be a good decision. It turns out our guests were bussed to the wrong venue--they were taken to what we're guessing was the Wonders of Life pavilion where they were setting up for another event. An event coordinator there realized quickly our guests were in the wrong place and sent them back on the bus to the right location. We weren't told this until later (by our bridal party and then later the full story from Nicole's parents), and even though everyone got to where they needed to go, it did take away at least ten to fifteen minutes from our dessert party.

It doesn't seem like it when you're inside or looking up at the windows from below, but it's quite high up off the ground, perhaps a good four storeys, so we opted for the elevator. It's hidden behind a doorway to the right of the American Adventure entrance if you're looking for it. Otherwise there's an industrial set of stairs leading up to it, too. Once upstairs, you'll find the Parlour is aptly named as it feels like a very patriotic grandma's lived-in parlour. In a good way.

In any case, Nicole and I were on our own in the Parlour for some time. At first it was nice to relax and take in the room before the rest of our group arrived. Trinity and the Disney photographers were already there, alternately snapping away discreetly or directing us to get some shots.

DSC_1159_zps6d440b34.jpg

DSC_1165_zps78f92ef5.jpg

DSC_1150_zpsc89d81bf.jpg

Our centerpiece. Unfortunately it didn't quite have the same effect being used indoors.

1133_P354260713-1133_zps9661a0b8.jpg

The dessert buffet was set up along the back wall of the parlour with two guides on either end. An old-timey radio played a broad selection of instrumental music from American popular culture from De Sousa marches to jazz music. I don't know if you can request music, but we didn't expect any, so we never asked.

As we waited for our guests (again, longer than necessary) we looked out over the World Showcase lagoon. U2 tribute band 2U was playing a set (does the leader singer call himself Onob?), and beyond the bandstand you could see Spaceship Earth. It was a heck of a view.

Let's talk food. To recap, we asked for Ohana's bread pudding with bananas foster sauce, caramel and chocolate French macarons, strawberry shortcake, fresh fruit and popcorn. Everything was very good, with the chocolate French macarons as the standout. We're incredibly glad we chose, from a gastronomic and a practical standpoint, because when our guest went downstairs to view the Illuminations fireworks they were able to bring a box of popcorn with them. Nicole even tossed in a few more macarons into a box--not that we got a chance to eat them, let alone see any fireworks.

DSC_1144_zps7f7110cb.jpg

DSC_1145_zps30f20c55.jpg

1120_P354260713-1120_zpsa5d0a5b3.jpg

1118_P354260713-1118_zps1875673b.jpg

1124_P354260713-1124_zpsdd6dc063.jpg

1123_P354260713-1123_zps33cbdd4c.jpg

1122_P354260713-1122_zps108ee3fe.jpg

1121_P354260713-1121_zpsdaa47b21.jpg

1126_P354260713-1126_zpse98c1ea4.jpg

The dessert party was a really nice way to mingle with our guests as well in a way that was less possible during the ceremony. The whole event was a lot more casual, which was nice.

DSC_1162_zpsa9ac1dfe.jpg

1135_P354260713-1135_zpsf5066170.jpg

1138_P354260713-1138_zps90282680.jpg

Nicole's cousin filmed the ceremony on his phone, and the girls gathered around to watch

During the dessert party Cricket actually brought over a couple of photos from the morning, which Nicole showed around to our families. Both of us (and our families) we already enchanted by Cricket's work and there was still a lot of photography to go!

1117_P354260713-1117_zps7c4a79dd.jpg

1134_P354260713-1134_zpsd718bea3.jpg

In some ways the alternate plans for our dessert party turned out to be better than the original plans. While by no means a sweltering inferno, the evening was still pretty muggy, and had our guests had to stay outside for over two hours in France Lower, they'd have been more uncomfortable than in the cool interiors of America. The downside, however, was that they were only able to eat the food for a limited amount of time, because we weren't allowed to return to the American Adventure Parlour after we'd left.

The biggest upside of the new plans was getting Italy Isola, the most prime real estate for our guests to view Illuminations. Sure it didn't fit our Casablanca theme, but theme schmeme, look at that view! I do feel kind of bad, because we got a few nasty looks from other park guests when we entered, but... look at that view! As I said, we didn't really see Illuminations because we were taking photos on the bridge the entire time, but our guests said they really enjoyed it.

Bride POV:

So, how about a couple of those fireworks photos?

1148_P354260713-1148_zps2d31b5f5.jpg

1155_P354260713-1155_zps8949b0e5.jpg

1156_P354260713-1156_zpsdf99798a.jpg

1158_P354260713-1158_zps0e3633c4.jpg

1163_P354260713-1163_zps14a7b494.jpg

1165_P354260713-1165_zpsd5a9daad.jpg

At one point Cricket asked if she could try an experiment. We told her sure, go for it! I absolutely love the result!

1172_P354260713-1172_zpsd391aade.jpg

1182_P354260713-1182_zps18c12f3c.jpg

1190_P354260713-1190_zps6e7268e7.jpg

1198_P354260713-1198_zps145d3afc.jpg

1202_P354260713-1202_zpsc7d79077.jpg

1208_P354260713-1208_zps3baee528.jpg

1212_P354260713-1212_zps4f18c2b1.jpg

After Illuminations, we hung around and our guests took photos. We were expecting to be rushed back to the bus, but our guides hung back and let us do our thing. We left Epcot around 9:30pm. On the way back to the Grand Floridian, Bryan turned to me and asked if I knew what time it was? He smiled and I realized we'd make it back to our room in time to watch Wishes from our balcony. This turned out to be a most magical way to end our perfect wedding day!

DSC_0184_zps4f974d90.jpg

Hooray! You've returned! Your room at the GF looks GORGEOUS. I'm quite jealous :)

I have to imagine if I got the DP call like you did it would be incredibly difficult to not burst into tears. So happy for you that you got the AA Parlor though - and Italy!! I was hoping to have Italy but my consultant said it's not useable during Food & Wine because of the Eat to the Beat lines.

Ohhhhh the bread pudding. I have been dreaming of trying this dessert for years, but since I've never actually HAD it I don't necessarily want to offer it yet - but it looks DELICIOUS!

I love your photos, especially Cricket's umbrella idea. It came out amazing!

oh that brought tears to my eyes. How magical, what an amazing journey you two have been on so far. AND THOSE PHOTOS!!!! Just amazing, especially the ones in front of the fireworks...WOW!!!! Congratulations again

That umbrella picture is phenomenal. Cricket did a wonderful job. Congratulations on your happy day!

Oh my gosh, I love that you had Marie show up to your wedding! What a fun surprise! All of your pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I love the little details of your reception space. And the food looks incredible. I think I would've ordered the scallops, they sound great!

The fireworks photos are gorgeous! I think Disney will move dessert parties inside at even the slightest chance of rain. I've been to three DP's now, and every single time they've been moved inside. We were in the American Adventure Parlor once too, and it was very nice up there! I love your dessert choices, especially the idea of popcorn! How convenient!

Thank you for posting! I've had a couple brides refer me to this planning journal specifically because of the photography aspect (because we're doing Disney Photography, probably). So...I REALLY appreciate all of it. It makes me feel a lot better about the decision.

Did you do an MK session or Epcot session? Do you have your photos? I'd just like to see what they look like. The more people I see that have good photography from Disney, the better I feel. Photography is a priority for us...and I am SUPER nervous about using Disney.

Thank you!!!

Tiffiny

I love how cohesive your vision was; every picture you've included has shown how well thought out everything and how your theme shined through your day.

Your pictures are some of the best that I've seen in the last couple of years from Disney photography; I love the fireworks pictures especially and the cool "experimental" shot with the umbrella.

How was the honeymoon?

Congratulations on your beautiful event!

Brooke

Beautiful pictures! :goodvibes
Thank you!

Hooray! You've returned! Your room at the GF looks GORGEOUS. I'm quite jealous :)

I have to imagine if I got the DP call like you did it would be incredibly difficult to not burst into tears. So happy for you that you got the AA Parlor though - and Italy!! I was hoping to have Italy but my consultant said it's not useable during Food & Wine because of the Eat to the Beat lines.

Ohhhhh the bread pudding. I have been dreaming of trying this dessert for years, but since I've never actually HAD it I don't necessarily want to offer it yet - but it looks DELICIOUS!

I love your photos, especially Cricket's umbrella idea. It came out amazing!
We were very lucky in all respects related to the DP. Even when things didn't work out the way we planned, they worked out, especially the Dessert Party venue. DH kept telling me to look go into every situation from a positive perspective, and was priming me for disappointment in case of rain. (It was really annoying, but I guess it helped! :rotfl2:)

oh that brought tears to my eyes. How magical, what an amazing journey you two have been on so far. AND THOSE PHOTOS!!!! Just amazing, especially the ones in front of the fireworks...WOW!!!! Congratulations again
Thank you for your lovely comment! We were nothing but pleased with how the photos turned out. When you're taking the fireworks photos, all you can hear is BOOM! BOOM! behind you, and fight the urge to turn around and look.

That umbrella picture is phenomenal. Cricket did a wonderful job. Congratulations on your happy day!
Thank you! The umbrella photo is one of our favourites.

Oh my gosh, I love that you had Marie show up to your wedding! What a fun surprise! All of your pictures are absolutely gorgeous. I love the little details of your reception space. And the food looks incredible. I think I would've ordered the scallops, they sound great!

The fireworks photos are gorgeous! I think Disney will move dessert parties inside at even the slightest chance of rain. I've been to three DP's now, and every single time they've been moved inside. We were in the American Adventure Parlor once too, and it was very nice up there! I love your dessert choices, especially the idea of popcorn! How convenient!
Thank you! Marie was a perfect fit for our theme and the Monsieur Paul space. I love her poses while we were dancing. The scallops dish is a perfect brunch dish--very light and tasty. We tried to have AAP placed as our indoor alternative on our BEO, but they wouldn't guarantee it, so it was great that they moved it there anyway.

Thank you for posting! I've had a couple brides refer me to this planning journal specifically because of the photography aspect (because we're doing Disney Photography, probably). So...I REALLY appreciate all of it. It makes me feel a lot better about the decision.

Did you do an MK session or Epcot session? Do you have your photos? I'd just like to see what they look like. The more people I see that have good photography from Disney, the better I feel. Photography is a priority for us...and I am SUPER nervous about using Disney.

Thank you!!!

Tiffiny
Hi Tiffiny! Thanks for reading and your kind comment! We were pleased with our experience with DFAP despite the expense. I think it hinges on getting the photographer with the style you want, so we pored over the portfolios on the DFAP website, discussed which of the photographers' styles best fit our vision, made a list of our top three choices, then more or less begged for Cricket. We did an MK session two days after the wedding and a DHS session the day after. The walk from Morocco to M. Paul allowed us to take photos around World Showcase, effectively making it a stealth portrait session. I'll finally be posting some of the portrait session photos in a few days. Best wishes on your wedding!

I love how cohesive your vision was; every picture you've included has shown how well thought out everything and how your theme shined through your day.

Your pictures are some of the best that I've seen in the last couple of years from Disney photography; I love the fireworks pictures especially and the cool "experimental" shot with the umbrella.

How was the honeymoon?

Congratulations on your beautiful event!

Brooke
Hi Brooke! I'm so glad you enjoyed the photos. They're exactly what we wanted, and we couldn't be happier with them! We wanted candid photos, but it ended up being a nice balance of candids, posed portraits, and some of the more experimental stuff. The honeymoon was great!

Epic Disneymoon: Day 1

Sweet, merciful late (for Disney World) morning! We stumbled around GF in search of plastic utensils for a typical breakfast of wedded domesticity: leftovers. Okay, leftover wedding cake in Disney World is better than cold pizza in our kitchen, so we weren't complaining! We'd valiantly transported our third tier of red velvet cake with peanut butter cup mousse safely through the Florida heat to the hotel, but gravity was its undoing, and we found it a bit saggy. If Jim Henson Studios were to create a Muppet cake monster, it would look like this:

DSC_0197_zps1d4c4567.jpg

Looks aside, it was delicious, and would continue to be for the next four days. I will spare you the details of our quest around the GF property for forks (how could I overlook this detail with cake-for-breakfast dreams in my head).

We left for MK at the outrageously late hour of 10:00 a.m., eager to sample the sweet, sweet expediency of monorail resort lodgings. About that... A monorail delay resulted in an arrival half an hour later, so with time melting away before our 11:00 Be Our Guest reservation we had to rush straight to City Hall to pick up our enchanted rose IR transponder. This tuna can-sized plastic pin cushion contained both our reservation at Be Our Guest and the food we'd ordered online the day before! It's like eating in the World of Tomorrow!

DSC_0202_zps950e2a22.jpg

IMG_9621_zpsc739633c.jpg

We hot-footed it over to New Fantasyland, checked in at the desk and bypassed the line-up for a seat inside the Beast's Portrait Gallery. It's a lovely space, and fairly quiet compared to the other rooms, because it's probably most folk's third choice for dining room. Within five minutes of sitting down, a server arrived with a cart carrying the food we'd ordered online. Amazing! We asked how they knew where we were and our server replied knowingly, "it's magic." Oh, Disney!

DSC_0212_zps08e3875d.jpg

For lunch we ordered the quinoa salad, braised pork and, for some added kicks, the Macaronis Maurice. The quinoa salad was refreshing, and the "coq au vin-style" pork was tasty, if heavy, despite having neither coq nor vin. They were very good together. Maurice, however, should go back to the drawing board for the macaroni--it was aggressively bland. Unless his steampunk macaroni-making machine is really a money-printing machine that incites people to shell out seven dollars for a scoop of macaroni in unseasoned tomato puree and two broccoli florets, in which case, allons-y, Maurice! It's our own fault for ordering off the kids' menu.

DSC_0208_zpsf122e391.jpg

DSC_0210_zps4835f9ee.jpg

DSC_0220_zpsa9c06b48.jpg

We left Be Our Guest to one of those unpredictable downpours that was a regular occurrence throughout our trip. We were thoroughly soaked, so we decided we might as well go under the sea for the Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Afterwards, we took in a couple Fantasyland rides (we waited a seriously long time for Mickey's Philharmagic) and dawdled in the shops along Main Street. In the hat shop we were asked for the first time about where (and how?!) we'd obtained our "Just Married" buttons, and I wondered if it was a DISbride asking. Maybe there needs to be an official DISbride button or indicator we wear to indentify each other around WDW. Haha! We stopped to see the Celebrate a Dream Parade, since DH has missed the first magical viewing. Whew! what a long trip at the parks.

On the way back we stopped at the Contemporary to undertake a plan we had devised. As I believe I mentioned earlier in the PJ, it was my aunt's birthday the next day and we ordered an arrangement from Disney Floral to be sent to her room. Since I had also made their dinner reservation at "The Wave", we wanted to up our own little dose of Disney magic and pre-order them a bottle of champagne to go with their meal. So we stopped in at The Wave and took care of that.

Groom POV:

Back at our own hotel, we had a spot of rest before a casual, laid-back meal at small roadside diner called Vicky and Al's. It's a bit of a hole in the wall.

IMG_9633_zpsd9211118.jpg

Keepin' it caj with this year's must have fashion accessory: an adorable Yeti-cat.

IMG_9635_zpsa3b8b7ad.jpg

Serious cat drams!

Victoria and Albert's! Britain may have lost the American Revolutionary War, but it still maintains a small outpost dedicated to Victorian-style gastronomic and aesthetic excess in the Grand Floridian.

IMG_9636_zpsca5a211b.jpg

Fancy: Chargers!

IMG_9639_zps0bca1c1b.jpg

Fancier: Not one but two oversized ornate vases!

IMG_9641_zpse73fb649.jpg

Fanciest: A harpist who plays Broadway show tunes and Disney music!

While we were on our Disneymoon there was a story making the rounds of content-starved news outlets about a Los Angeles restaurant with a bottled water menu, for which there was much tut-tutting from the tut-tutters and teeth-gnashing from the teeth-gnashers, because OMG! you can get that stuff from the tap, rich people. The bottled water menu at Victoria and Albert's, featuring water from around the world, must be flying under the media radar, then. And while luxury frequently tips over into absurd levels of excess, we opted for a bottle of mid-range pH Speyside Glenlivet from Scotland, because: 1) the tasting notes of MK-area tap water are equal parts "swampy" and "boggy," and 2) at $8.00 a bottle, this imported Scottish water was less than a bottle of Evian from GF's in-room dining service. The water tasted great, too, clean and smooth, like drinking air.

IMG_9642_zps6cc641cd.jpg

After a perusal of the wine menu, we opted for a celebratory bottle of Laurent-Perrier Rose. We wanted champagne, something nice but not so expensive or rare that we couldn't afford a bottle for every anniversary. We didn't get a photo of the bottle, but they did give us the cork, and it now looks like this on our Christmas tree:

IMG_3708_zpsb99be82a.jpg

There are a lot of reasons to be wary of the V&A dining experience, but it's about as accessible a fine dining experience as anyone could hope for. For me, service is key, because the wait staff can often come across as snobby and aloof. This isn't the case at V&A, where every staff member we encountered was friendly while still maintaining the decorum of fine dining. It's a difficult balance to strike, but they succeed.

The meal began with an amuse bouche of tuna three ways: summer roll, zaru soba with a sauce coriander and soy, and seared ahi tuna topped with caviar. Even though DW hates tuna on a traumatic-childhood-experience-with-tuna level, the quality of the produce and the preparation was such that she ate the whole thing and enjoyed it. Soba is something I love--I make it a lot and order it frequently at restaurants, but this bite-sized portion was the best I've ever had, and speaks to the quality of the ingredients and execution of the kitchen.

We were evidently so enamoured by the presentation and quality of the amuse bouche, we only remembered we needed to take photos after we had entirely consumed it. We did better from then on.

Next came the first of three (!) bread courses. A wise decision on behalf of the pastry chef to settle any potential nervous diners by sending out his grandmother's recipe for a humble dinner roll with a light, creamy butter. I love it when restaurants take something familiar and execute it to a degree that elevates it to the level of fine dining through top-notch ingredients and flawless execution.

IMG_9643_zps80596697.jpg

I started with a Spanish-flavoured octopus a la plancha, which was enjoyable but nothing truly memorable. The small dusting of smoked paprika in the corner really elevated the dish and is the kind of attention to detail that would be a hallmark of the meal.

IMG_9644_zpse716282a.jpg

The real superstar was DW's poussin (young chicken) on top of a jicama salad and a caper berry on the side is quite possibly the single best thing she's ever eaten at Disney or anywhere else. It would be hard for any subsequent dish to top it, but they came close.

IMG_9645_zps4f1cf08f.jpg

The Fish course. I upgraded my selection to a pan-roasted turbot in a Meyer lemon beurre blanc with giant capers. I could have had a bowl of the sauce and drank it like soup. The fish was moist and flaky and the sauce light with the flavourful punch of the capers. It was my highlight of the night.

IMG_9647_zps6d986ae9.jpg

DW opted for a giant seared scallop over top a cauliflower puree, a combination that would come up so frequently throughout our trip, I'm going to go ahead and call it a food trend. It was good, but not memorable. The portion sizes of these dishes are reasonably-sized, and certainly larger than necessary for the number of courses they're throwing at you.

IMG_9649_zps266a262a.jpg

Second bread course was a fluffy savoury brioche with a herbed butter.

IMG_9650_zpse52624fd.jpg

For the next course, I had a veal napoleon. I can't resist crispy sweetbreads, so that choice was a given.

IMG_9651_zps4dd597a2.jpg

DW zagged over to the vegetarian column with a wild mushroom gnocchi. Maybe in another restaurant in another town where the poussin dish didn't exist, this would have been the clear winning dish of the night, but it was a close runner-up. The mushroom flavours were intense alongside the soft gnocchi and firm peas for textural contrast.

IMG_9653_zpsef9c5b8a.jpg

Third and last bread course: a multigrain baguette with fleur-de-sel butter. It was very earthy in a slightly malty way, with a nice, crisp crust and soft interior. DW was wisely pacing herself, so I ended up eating her portion as well. I hate to say that bread this good is disposable, but if you're a light eater and want to, somehow, make it all the way to the dessert course without passing out from a full stomach, skipping the bread is the way to go.

IMG_9654_zps8f9e0659.jpg

Can I just pause here and remark about the dullness of main courses at Disney dining, and of main courses in general. I always find the appetizer and fish courses in a menu more engaging than the mains, because they aren't subject to the meat-and-two-veg constraints of the course. So despite being well-executed and tasty, the mains weren't as creative or well-composed as the previous dishes.

Nicole loves pork belly, and it's hard for her not to order it. The consistency of the belly was the very definition of "melt-in-your-mouth" and the firm beets added sweetness to compliment the pork and looks like candy on the plate.

IMG_9658_zps86b8f0eb.jpg

I had lamb, composed of different cuts, with root vegetables and a stalk of burnt rosemary for aroma. Again, it was delicious, but we were reaching meat saturation for the meal.

IMG_9655_zpsd8652156.jpg

During the mains, the harpist played "As Time Goes By," which is probably a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had somehow found out about our wedding and its theme and made the moment happen just for us.

Cheese course! Perhaps my favourite course. The cheese menu really appealed to me; it was a selection of parmigiano reggiano, gouda and stilton. I mentioned that stilton is my favourite cheese, and they added a second piece. As good as the stilton was (a clean flavour, but I like mine a little nuttier) my favourite of the evening was the reggiano with a piece of fig cake.

IMG_9659_zps094dfc55.jpg

Nicole went with a white chocolate gelato instead of cheese, which was very smooth and delicate, not too sweet unlike most white chocolate things, and a good palette cleanser.

IMG_9660_zpsee34f21e.jpg

Dessert! I went for the peach four ways, which included a blood peach pocket that popped and oozed intensely peachy juice, poached peach slices over top a peach jelly, and torn pieces of peach sponge cake. A yoghurt panna cotta with a crunchy cracker bottom helped keep the dish light and balanced. It didn't necessarily come together as a whole, but very tasty with a lot of great ideas.

IMG_9661_zps3c49fd0c.jpg

Nicole went for the chocolate soufflé with a Godiva chocolate sauce, dark chocolate ice cream and a spicy crisp. It had an amazing chocolate flavour, ranging from sharp bitterness to soft sweetness, but it was a little too much, and she couldn't eat the whole thing.

IMG_9662_zps2a3cce7c.jpg

Then they brought us cookies, which they up and packed for us right away. I'm going to guess they have to do that a lot. Then they brought a rose for DW, which is quite the charming touch. Then they brought a loaf of orange poppy seed pound cake. Then they brought a velvet-lined wheelbarrow and rolled us back to our hotel rooms. The last detail is a lie, but they probably would have done it if we'd asked. They did offer us transportation, even though they knew we were at the GF.

IMG_9666_zpsd2a981dc.jpg

We waddled back to our hotel room, and enjoyed our Wishes view again.

NEXT UP: Magic in Magic Kingdom! I am currently writing up the MK photoshoot and I will post it as soon as I am done! Sorry for the delay!

Sounds like your V&A dinner was excellent! I love your recap. I loved the preliminary...just a casual dinner at Vicky and Al's, too funny!

The rose and the transportation offer were nice touches. How nice that it timed out so you could watch Wishes from your room again. We LOVE Wishes so much, that would be wonderful!

Looking forward to hearing about your photo shoot...

Brooke

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter