Wishes is now standing room, shoulder to shoulder, only...?

Megsmachine

I love Minnie!
When we went to Disney in 2006, I remember watching wishes and crying. It impacted me that much. Yeah, call me a cry baby :flower::flower: Anyway, every visit thereafter, I didn't feel like I was really at Disney until we saw wishes. I just love it! It is a must do for us every time we go.

This past September when we went on an adults only trip, we went to wishes one night. I thought maybe it was a special night, special meaning something major going on. We were herded into an area behind the white lines, CM's with glowstick flashlights yelling at everyone to get off walkways, into the lined area, it was standing room only and we were SQUISHED together like sardines. Lets just say I could smell what kind of deodorant the person on my right was wearing and smell that the person on the left wasn't... seriously, people were banging into each other as they were being forced in, strollers hiting the backs of peoples legs. It really was not an enjoyable experience. I feel that Disney is robbing their guests of the magical thing that Wishes is. Soon we are going with our 5 kids and 2 of them, in the above scenario won't even be able to see wishes at all.

Were we in the wrong area? Is there a better place that you can actually see it without having to get a FP+ for it? We were located right near Caseys corner, in front of it to the right.

Are there tricks to getting a good spot? Thanks!

When we went to Disney in 2006, I remember watching wishes and crying. It impacted me that much. Yeah, call me a cry baby :flower::flower: Anyway, every visit thereafter, I didn't feel like I was really at Disney until we saw wishes. I just love it! It is a must do for us every time we go.

This past September when we went on an adults only trip, we went to wishes one night. I thought maybe it was a special night, special meaning something major going on. We were herded into an area behind the white lines, CM's with glowstick flashlights yelling at everyone to get off walkways, into the lined area, it was standing room only and we were SQUISHED together like sardines. Lets just say I could smell what kind of deodorant the person on my right was wearing and smell that the person on the left wasn't... seriously, people were banging into each other as they were being forced in, strollers hiting the backs of peoples legs. It really was not an enjoyable experience. I feel that Disney is robbing their guests of the magical thing that Wishes is. Soon we are going with our 5 kids and 2 of them, in the above scenario won't even be able to see wishes at all.

Were we in the wrong area? Is there a better place that you can actually see it without having to get a FP+ for it? We were located right near Caseys corner, in front of it to the right.

Are there tricks to getting a good spot? Thanks!

No tricks.
BECAUSE:
You also want to be able to see the spectacular show that is actually projected on the front of the Castle, "Celebrate the Magic," which begins about 15 minutes before the fireworks.

Disney has created this congestion due to offering not one, not two,
but THREE evening spectaculars timed close enough that,
in order to see them to their best advantage all in one night,
guests need to be in the Hub area.
(At least when there are two MSEP performances, that can relieve some of the urgency
to see the parade only in the Hub.)

Below is a rough estimate of the Fireworks viewing spots
based on other posters' info on the boards and personal experience.

MK-Wishes_NewHub_031715_zpsfxxil4my.jpg

Last edited:
Well, naturally it's going to be super-crowded in the hub. This isn't 2006. Year-round attendance at WDW has really picked up in the past 5 years, in particular. If you need/want elbow room or to comfortably sit down, you'll need to get a FastPass or watch the fireworks away from the hub & Main Street area.

IMO, they have done a much better job of keeping walkways open so that there isn't a bottleneck when people are trying to walk through and to keep a traffic pattern.

That spot by Casey's is a high traffic area with lots of movement due to the sidewalk and I believe they also keep an aisle open to cross the street towards the Plaza.

I've gotten stuck in scary, pushy bottlenecks in past years and I have to say I am happy about the fact they are working hard to try to increase traffic flow. I know what you're saying though, but after being in scary bottlenecks, where you can't move, I like how it's set up now. I like that if I want to walk through, I can. It does make watching Wishes different. I noticed a difference from our last trip 4 years ago to now.

I don't have a better spot recommendation for you, but I always like to be further down Main Street toward Town Square.

Last edited:
With the hub expansion we found it very easy to get a great spot for viewing the fireworks at MK. On Dec 30th 2015 we were able to get a spot on main street in the prime green area about 20 minutes before both fireworks shows that night, and we had plenty of elbow room. Later in the week we also had the same results for the normal Wishes. With the new hub expansion traffic flow is 10x better, it is easier to find a spot, and the CMs directing traffic are in a better mood. Love the new Hub.

While I kinda hate Wishes (epilepsy + fireworks = bad), I find that the least crowded and best view is in, strangely enough, Fantasyland.

Why, you ask? Because there less people (everyone is in Main Street) less strollers, actual seating (Pinocchio), and a much closer view of the fireworks. My family nearly always watches from around the carousel area.

I agree that being on Main Street all squished isn't a wonderful experience. If you're willing to try something different the bridge over to Tomorrowland is a decent and less crowded place to try. Just watch for the trees that could obstruct your view.

It is so worth it in my opinion to get a FP for Wishes! I go to WDW at least twice a year and I've been to MK a bunch of times so that's why I don't mind missing out on a ride FP ti pick one for Wishes. I hate dealing with the crowds for Wishes, and having to save a spot for almost an hour just to make sure you have a good view which can get ruined by someone thinking they can just shove themselves in front of you. The FP area for Wishes wasn't congested at all! :earboy2:

No tricks.
BECAUSE:
You also want to be able to see the spectacular show that is actually projected on the front of the Castle, "Celebrate the Magic," which begins about 15 minutes before the fireworks.

Disney has created this congestion due to offering not one, not two,
but THREE evening spectaculars timed close enough that,
in order to see them to their best advantage all in one night,
guests need to be in the Hub area.
(At least when there are two MSEP performances, that can relieve some of the urgency
to see the parade only in the Hub.)

Below is a rough estimate of the Fireworks viewing spots
based on other posters' info on the boards and personal experience.

MK-Wishes_NewHub_031715_zpsfxxil4my.jpg

This is great! Thanks so much! I will have to figure out where the best place will be for us.

Well, naturally it's going to be super-crowded in the hub. This isn't 2006. Year-round attendance at WDW has really picked up in the past 5 years, in particular. If you need/want elbow room or to comfortably sit down, you'll need to get a FastPass or watch the fireworks away from the hub & Main Street area.

Err...yeah, obviously things have changed since 2006, never said it didn't just my observations on how things have changed since then... and We have been there 5 times since 2006.

While I kinda hate Wishes (epilepsy + fireworks = bad), I find that the least crowded and best view is in, strangely enough, Fantasyland.

Why, you ask? Because there less people (everyone is in Main Street) less strollers, actual seating (Pinocchio), and a much closer view of the fireworks. My family nearly always watches from around the carousel area.

That is a great option if we find ourselves back that way at Wishes time! My kids are really going to want to watch the show before the fireworks though.

I agree that being on Main Street all squished isn't a wonderful experience. If you're willing to try something different the bridge over to Tomorrowland is a decent and less crowded place to try. Just watch for the trees that could obstruct your view.

Great idea!! We may have to make our way over there in time to find some good seats. I really noticed how much the Trees have grown (and now block the view!).

Were people even able to sit down before? I thought everyone stood...
Not sure. I never said that we are used to sitting down...

I agree with PP that FP+ is great option if you can get one. We also watched the MNSSHP fireworks show from the Poly Beach and it was great. Of course I liked it better the next night in the park at the actual Halloween party, but the Poly experience was unique and still very enjoyable. I also don't like to be squished or herded, and FP+ or Poly beach viewing have eliminated those problems for me.

Not sure. I never said that we are used to sitting down...

In your title you ask if it's now standing room only.. kind of implies it used to be sitting.

Piggybacking off the OP's question: if one wanted to avoid the craziness of MK all together and watch Wishes from a non-park location, what is the best spot? Can you still enjoy the fireworks from the beach at the Poly?

One of the best places we found was to exit the MK and watch from the fences area near the ferry entrance. You are centered for the fireworks, hear the music, and as soon as the finale is over, you are in good position for the monorail, ferry, or resort buses. You can also sit, as some people had blankets set out. There are no crowds!

I don't know if you can still do it since I have my own little secret place that I'm not sharing but how about on top at the train station. Used to you could stake out an area there if you got there early enough but I don't know if they still allow it.

Piggybacking off the OP's question: if one wanted to avoid the craziness of MK all together and watch Wishes from a non-park location, what is the best spot? Can you still enjoy the fireworks from the beach at the Poly?

Yes - it's a fabulous viewing spot. Reports are that they pipe in the music, although we couldn't hear it when we were there in October.

Yes - it's a fabulous viewing spot. Reports are that they pipe in the music, although we couldn't hear it when we were there in October.

Awesome! On our MK day, DH and I are having diner at Kona while DD is at HDDR with her grandparents. I will suggest watching Wishes there instead of going back to MK!

Awesome! On our MK day, DH and I are having diner at Kona while DD is at HDDR with her grandparents. I will suggest watching Wishes there instead of going back to MK!

You don't get to see the castle projections, obviously, but it's a really neat view of the fireworks. Plus, you're sitting on a beach! Enjoy. It's a great option, especially if you've seen Wishes in the MK before.

My wife and I watched Wishes from in front of Gaston's Tavern during MVMCP this past December. It was actually pretty cool spot. Not very crowded......very different perspective. I personally prefer it because there's no pushing/shoving/etc

Doug :goofy:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter