"Wishes" Questions from a WDW Novice

Araminta18

DIS Veteran
Is Wishes just fireworks with music? Or are there projections on the castle as well? This is only my second trip to the World and my friend wants to see Wishes, and I realized I don't know anything about what it is, beyond fireworks and the fact that everyone on here seems to love it. It's just my friend and I--where should we go to get the best experience for first-timers? And how early do we need to stake out a spot? Basically, what should I know in order to experience "Wishes" the "right" way?

Note that Wishes is ending on May 11. It'll be replaced with a new show that blends projections and fireworks.

I'll undoubtedly get heat for saying this, but the best way to experience Wishes is to head out to Disneyland instead and watch their Remember, Dreams Come True fireworks show, which used Wishes as a base, but then proceeded to vastly improve on it with castle projections, turning the hub into the Haunted Mansion, and blowing up the Death Star all in the skies above Sleeping Beauty Castle to name just some of the things they did in Disneyland. RDCT was originally for Disneyland's 50th Anniversary and is currently showing again out west.

Wishes tells a story using fireworks and music. I don't remember it using any castle projections unless they changed that since I last saw it. It's a nice enough show, but since I saw Disneyland's Remember Dreams Come True first, I never quite understood why people loved Wishes so much. You'll also receive different opinions on where to watch the show from. Personally, I prefer the castle to be fairly centered, but you'll also want to be further back in order to see all the fireworks over the castle.

Note that Wishes is ending on May 11. It'll be replaced with a new show that blends projections and fireworks.

Yep! We'll be there March 15th-19th and she wants to see it. :)

Wishes tells a story using fireworks and music. I don't remember it using any castle projections unless they changed that since I last saw it. It's a nice enough show, but since I saw Disneyland's Remember Dreams Come True first, I never quite understood why people loved Wishes so much. You'll also receive different opinions on where to watch the show from. Personally, I prefer the castle to be fairly centered, but you'll also want to be further back in order to see all the fireworks over the castle.

Does it matter if we're back in Fantasyland, like by Pinocchio Village Haus? Or should we camp up by Casey's for the best view?

Yep! We'll be there March 15th-19th and she wants to see it. :)

Does it matter if we're back in Fantasyland, like by Pinocchio Village Haus? Or should we camp up by Casey's for the best view?

"Best view" to many people would be from Main Street or in front of the castle (like Caseys). By Pinocchio can be fine too as long as you are okay with watching fireworks on both sides of you. Your head will think it's at a tennis match. I like it there, but I've seen it many times.

MK-Wishes-wParadeampBS-Path_100916_zps0wrlelzz.jpg

Right before Wishes is a really really amazing projection show called Once Upon A Time. You need to be reasonably close to see this well. Robo's map is an awesome guide! My personal preference is to stake out a spot in the Hub (I like being closer to the fireworks) in time for both shows. I have tried watching from further back on Main Street but it is harder to see the projections.

With only 2 of you, it is possible to show up a little later (if u are comfortable with working your way through the crowds for a decent spot). I was there with a friend in September and we did this about 15 mins before the projection show. In higher crowd times, you'll of course have to get a spot earlier.

Yes it matters greatly. Since you two haven't seen it, then you need to watch from in front of the castle. You can get a good spot on Main Street/Hub (standing room only) very shortly before the show. If you want to sit somewhere, that's when you'd need to get there quite a bit ahead.

You can watch from behind the castle, but that's not how the shows intended to be viewed. You'd be seeing fireworks in different directions rather than head on.

And wishes is mainly just fireworks and music, other than that the castle lights will change

If you are a sappy crybaby like me the music can and will move you to tears. I've not seen the new projection show, but I know that the old one was awesome. See the show from Main St, as PP stated that's where it is meant to be seen, especially for a first time. From Fantasyland I can say that it's a good firework show but it misses that emotional element from there, at least for me.

I agree with the others who say to watch it from main st or the hub for your first time. I've watched from fantasy land or from Astro orbiters and it's still great fireworks but no emotion to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter