* & * WishFlight?? * & *

maroo

DIS Veteran
Has anyone on this board had any experience with the American Airlines WishFlight? It looks like my dear friend will be granted a wish and part of it is a WishFlight. I have researched this online, but am wondering if there is anyone on the board that has participated in this?

I am wish granter in Minnesota and I sent a wish child on this last year. I was able to see them off and spoke with them several times when they got back so I know a bit about it. If you have specific questions I would be happy to answer them. Many of the details are suprises, but there is a treat around every corner. I hope I have the opportunity to send another child on it this year. The employees at American Airlines do a great job with this. It is totally run by the employees and their families (the greeters that saw my wish child off from Minneapolis were daughters of a pilot) with AA support. Do not try to figure too much out because it truly is magical and is probably best as a surprise.

I am wondering...How do they handle her wheelchair on the flight? She has severe CP, has a power chair and can't really use a regular push chair because she can't sit up straight in regular push chair. When we first thought she was going to DW, we thought she was going to have a direct flight and we weren't worried about it. But the WishFlight takes her to Dallas and then Orlando. So I am not sure...can she ride in her chair during the flight? I didnt' think so...but what do they do in the airport when she changes flights.

I know there is a party of sorts at the airport and I am just afraid she will be uncomfortable without her "legs" with her (she calls her chair her legs).

?? Does that make sense?

But don't give away any details! :) lol

Normally a person will take their pc all the way to the entrance of the aircraft and then transfer to an "aisle chair" which is narrow enough to get between the seats, and then transfer into a regular seat. The pc will then be taken down and loaded into the aircraft cargo compartment.

Upon arrival they will bring up the pc and use an aisle chair to get the person from their seat, out of the aircraft, and to the pc.

If a change of aircraft is necessary, this will happen twice. I am sure that as the airline is aware of this they will make sure there is sufficient time at DFW to make the transfer.

Ditto. That is what I have seen in my experience. Wheel chairs are treated exactly like strollers. They are gate checked and the person switches to a aisle chair. Upon exiting the personal wheel chair is waiting at the door. There is a "special" ride awaiting the wish kids at the arrival airport(s).

:-)

First, here's a link to the American Airlines webpage about travel with wheelchairs.

And, 2nd, some pictures and personal experiences.
My DD has CP and can't walk. She also can't sit well in any wheelchair except her own.
She stays in her wheelchair until we board (the one she travels with is a manual wheelchair, but it would work generally the same if we took her power chair).
The wheelchair is taken to the gate right to the door of the plane.
This is a picture of an aisle chair. The chairs from different airlines may look a little different, but the basic design is the same. An aisle cahir is basically a very narrow wheelchair that can fit down the aisle of the airplane.
2590aisle_chair.JPG

The wheelchair and aisle chair are parked tight next to each other, brakes locked and belts unfastened.
2590transfer_to_aisle_chair.JPG

The airline staff do a 2 person lift, with one person taking the top half and the other person the legs and they lift DD the short distance from her wheelchair (at the front of the picture) to the aisle chair in the background. Straps are fastened to keep the arms and legs in place and the aisle chair is rolled into the plane.
2590transfer_to_aisle_chair3.JPG

The process is repeated in reverse to leave the plane.
My DD gets her wheelchair delivered to the arrival gate when we leave the plane - it is brought right to the door of the plane.
Some people who can ride in an airport wheelchair may choose to get their wheelchair delivered to the baggage claim area. Just make sure the baggage claim tag for your wheelchair is marked for the correct place before you board the plane.

All the airline staff we have had contact with while using aisle chairs have been knowledgable and professional. DD has felt safe and secure while using the aisle chairs.
I would expect that the people staffing the WishlLight would be quite familiar with dealing with people using wheelchairs because I expect a lot of their passengers would have wheelchairs.

I am flying on American Airlines the end of this month so I read the disability pages twice.
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do...ecialAssistance/customersWithDisabilities.jsp

Do double check that her seat assignment is a disabled one. Those have armrests that can be moved or removed, not sure which, so that a person can transfer to the seat without climbing over the armrest. I got one of them seats as it is hard for me to get out of the seat when there is an armrest.

Wow... The pictures and explanation of the way they handle Power Chairs was soooo helpful. Thank you so much!! The mom of my DF (dear friend?) will be so excited to know this information as she is very worried about the wheelchair. Thank you so much!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter