With all the price increases is it worth even going?

A lot of the concerns you have can be said of any theme park. Universal's single day tickets are no less outrageous than Disney's. Universal is crowded and also has very long lines for their newest standout rides at peak crowd times. Universal isn't going to give you a refund if you go on a day with big crowds or bad weather. All rides can experience downtime as well. And you can and likely will wear out the rides at Universal if you visit there as many times as you've visited Disney.

I get the sense that your feelings about Disney are more about having worn it out than anything else. I get that, because I'm the same way, but with Universal instead of Disney. Almost exactly the same way - I've been an AP holder before and done everything there to death in years past, and I literally only want to go to back now to ride the newest two rides I haven't been on yet. But Universal makes it so expensive to do that that is simply isn't worth it.

That isn't a criticism of Universal the same way it isn't a criticism of Disney. I really don't like that it would cost me so much money just to go ride the newest stuff, but I get it. It's not Universal's fault that I'm less interested in the stuff I've done to death.

I will also say you absolutely still can go to Disney and ride a headliner at closing time with less of a wait, too. There's no reason for someone to believe they "can't" ride whatever they want unless they pay extra for ILL or Genie+! Aside from Guardians, every ride does have a standby line and you can go stand in it and be able to ride. It might be a longer line than is ideal if you go on a crowded day or at a peak crowd time of day, but you can do it. And Guardians will not have a VQ forever.

Also - if this helps - you don't have to be at EPCOT to join the VQ at 7am. And the 1pm VQ usually lasts long enough to easily join except on the highest crowd days. And the ILL lasts quite a long time, past park opening I think pretty much always. So you can guarantee a ride if you want.
That's good to know that there is a chance to ride Guardians even if we are not there at 7am. I get what you're saying about being tired of the rides....honestly, I am more burnt out from Universal's rides even though I have gone there less, but my kids like them. I was a cast member and die-hard Disney fan 20 years ago, but yeah, I know the old stuff inside and out.

The difference with Universal is that I can decide the day of, whether to go or not. I can't wait until that morning to see if it's raining. For Disney, if I don't buy tickets and make reservations ahead of time, I may not be able to go to the Magic Kingdom that weekend (if I think I want to). The reservation aspect and lack of APs makes it more difficult than Universal. The other thing is that Universal doesn't have express lanes for it's 2 newest attractions (Velocicoaster and Hagrid's), so everyone waits in the same line and it keeps moving. Hagrid's does break down on occasion (as does Hogwart's Express-I've yet to ride it because it's broken every time that I go), but it doesn't take an hour to re-boot and it doesn't go down as often as some of Disney's newest rides. Not sure about the capacity aspect, but I know Velocicoaster has a high throughput. I feel like Disney has recently been building unnecessarily overly complicated rides (Rise and Ratatouille could have had tracks for most of it) with smaller capacity. Lower capacity rides hurt the guest experience. They need to build big people-eaters like the Great Movie Ride and Haunted Mansion again.

Even though I'm not crazy about the rides at Universal (I get motion sickness), I go to that park because it doesn't take any planning. If my kids want a soft pretzel, we walk up and get one within a few minutes rather than placing our QS order 2 hours prior or worrying about a reservation. Disney is too much work.

Everything has changed so much in the past couple years. Is it even worth going? Seems nothing is as good as it was. Prices are higher than ever before and quality and service is lacking. Why spend a small fortune? Just wondering everyones opinions.
I still think it’s worth it to us but we don’t spend as much with WDW as we used to. Where they used to get us onsite, table service meals, dessert parties and such now it’s basically park tickets, no hard ticket events, G+ and ILLs and mostly counter service. We will do an occasional table service but nothing like it used to be. Now, we stay off site, save thousands, rent a car and spend the same or more than we used to, WDW just gets less of it.

I booked a Greek isles cruise on Royal next year and were spending a week in Germany before hand. I think it might be cheaper than a week at WDW in a deluxe resort.
My comparison was to a week at Pop with tickets bought pre-covid, so probably quite a bit less than even a week at Pop now with new tickets. And it was still significantly more than going to Belgium for a week.

APs, AP perks and hotel perks from other local parks being what they are Disney isn't nearly as attractive as it was.
Reservation system in super annoying after going without them for 40 years.
With everyone else getting into the festival game, even our favorite EPCOT has a hard time competing.
We go at least 10 days per year and as many as 30, half of which is during peak times and we do most of our shopping and dining in park or onsite. This year so far Disney runs about $100 extra a day per person for us. We're staying offsite now because of it.

I still think it’s worth it to us but we don’t spend as much with WDW as we used to. Where they used to get us onsite, table service meals, dessert parties and such now it’s basically park tickets, no hard ticket events, G+ and ILLs and mostly counter service. We will do an occasional table service but nothing like it used to be. Now, we stay off site, save thousands, rent a car and spend the same or more than we used to, WDW just gets less of it.
Same. We still very much enjoy our trips but we've taken to staying offsite (for a fraction of the cost), we've cut back on table service meals, and we have thus far avoided buying G+ or ILLs. In that context, we still find the trips very worth it.

But. years ago if someone asked me if it was "worth it" to stay onsight I would say yes in a heartbeat. Now, I truly see no benefit from being onsite, aside from wanting to be fully emerged in the Disney bubble.

I have a trip planned for February/early March, and that’ll be it for a while. I’m going only because I have a very small DVC contract, flight credits that that are set to expire soon, and Disney credit for the tickets I had purchased in 2020 that I haven’t been able to use.

I love Disney, but it’s become far too complicated, and to me, it’s no longer worth the hassle. I really hate the whole Genie+ concept, and having to wake up at 7 am on a vacation day to purchase it. I will continue to visit SS (home resort) after this visit, but I’ll hold off from visiting the parks for some time.

Oh and I only plan on making ONE ADR for the entire week I’ll be there. The food is far too expensive now (plus because of our weak dollar, we need to add 30-35% onto the listed price) and IMO, it’s not worth it for us.

In my case I'm still going but it's in a different way. As a DVC member my room is taken care of so other than dues the cost of my room is taken care of. What has changed is whether I will pay for admission to go to the parks

I never understood why DVC people convince themselves like this. Most of the cost of your DVC IS the dues, and those are expensive. Even with DVC, Disney rooms are expensive. You could cash out and stay pretty much anywhere for the cost of Disney rooms.

DVC Legacy Fans here. As we gracefully age into our mid-60's, our priorities in life are changing. The increased cost and complexity of WDW has definitely factored into our travelling plans, but the global impact of Covid has also altered our plans. Lodging with our DVC makes stays at WDW very reasonable and allows the opportunity to experience many facets of WDW resort offerings that a lot of people forego for more park time.

As far as expenses: (for us, YMMV and yes; I have a detailed spreadsheet of all expenses.)

- DVC dues. These were factored into our long-term retirement budget. Not an issue. Still a lot more economical than WDW prices. And yes, we must stay in the bubble. In fact we even added on to our 160 pts BLT (2010) with a 100 pt BWV (2021) since we loved BWV so much. And yes, I'll admit that the BWV direct purchase was more emotional than economically logical, but it works for us and our long-term plans

- Park tickets. By far the biggest uptick. We just activated our last 2010 DVC AP Voucher and plan on renewing in the future. Our average park/person cost (18-25 days a year) will go from $18 person/day to $55. Of course I'm comparing 2010 prices to future 2024. However in the big picture, this cost increase is manageable for us. Getting MYW tics for our DD's/SIL's for our Family GTG will be an eye opener for sure, but we're budgeting for it. Done a few ILL's and may even cross over to the dark side with Genie+ as the DW is complaining about standing in line. Happy wife, happy vacation.

- Food. Yep its up, a lot. But then it's up everywhere. Again at our age, we are finding we don't need to do TS's every day, so we are doing less TS's, and more QS's, It's been a fun transition as we are finding some nice QS offerings. Plus with DVC villas, we eat all breakfasts/snacks in our room.

- Travel. Fortunately we drive 6 hrs and cost remains very manage despite higher gas prices. Very easy to bring a cooler for our food items, as well as do off-site activities when were ready.

- Extras: Our souvenir buying days are way behind us. We spend $100-$150 each trip on clothing/jewelry which is used everyday vs. thrown away after a few months.

Bottom line - WDW continues to be an enjoyable and economically feasible vacation destination for us. The smiles per $$ continues to be high. We look forward to international travel again, and know the costs will also be elevated. We are enjoying our retirement years and will spend the $$ necessary to achieve our just deserts. The kids will be fine with a few thousands less when we move on.

You do you, and be happy.

I never understood why DVC people convince themselves like this. Most of the cost of your DVC IS the dues, and those are expensive. Even with DVC, Disney rooms are expensive. You could cash out and stay pretty much anywhere for the cost of Disney rooms.
I've always thought the same thing. I can rent points for a week and the cost is about what people pay just in maintenance. I've sat through many DVC presentations and the math just never worked for me. I suppose if you bought decades ago you've made quite a bit of money on it, but like you said you could always sell and enjoy the profits.

I've always thought the same thing. I can rent points for a week and the cost is about what people pay just in maintenance. I've sat through many DVC presentations and the math just never worked for me. I suppose if you bought decades ago you've made quite a bit of money on it, but like you said you could always sell and enjoy the profits.
I own a whole lot of DVC. To me, it's getting a better hotel for the cost of a decent off-site property, but it's still expensive. Disney/DVC hotel rooms are very expensive. You can get a nice hotel almost anywhere for the cost of a Disney room, and probably a better hotel. Just because the cost is hidden in the DVC contract you've owned for a while, it doesn't make Disney inexpensive.

It's too expensive for what you get. I'm a local so it's easy for me to go and get my money's worth out of my AP. If I didn't live here then Disney wouldn't see a dime of my money

I own a whole lot of DVC. To me, it's getting a better hotel for the cost of a decent off-site property, but it's still expensive. Disney/DVC hotel rooms are very expensive. You can get a nice hotel almost anywhere for the cost of a Disney room, and probably a better hotel. Just because the cost is hidden in the DVC contract you've owned for a while, it doesn't make Disney inexpensive.
Whenever I went to the sales talks the break even point they advertised was never accurate. As you know for years Disney offered 35-40% off deluxe resorts, but they calculated in rack rate. I thought about buying a resale back during the recession of 2009. There were some great deals. I think if I would have done it then I would have come out way ahead, but at today's prices no way.

Our last trip to WDW was 4 years ago. We are here this week to attend a convention. What a difference!! So many perks gone! We have absolutely no desire to come again anytime in the near future. It just isn't worth the extra expense and inconvenience for us.

We were there last week. Yes, it is more expensive than it used to be.
We still had a lot of fun and enjoyed our trip. We have gone that week for years and we have never seen it that crowded. Obviously, people feel it is worth going to with the parks that crowded. Very happy we purchased DVC years ago as it cuts down our cost a lot.

Went for 10 nights end of August - early September. We usually go every 2.5 years and that long but had not been for 4 years. My wife always loved going and planned for months. This trip we agreed that it was not nearly as much fun and certainly not worth the cost. The crowds were not even that bad after the Aug 27 weekend but the combination of having to get up early being more important, lack of night time shows, reduced food quality (but more $), and having to walk all over the place in the heat with Genie+ did us in. It was almost like you had to choose between waiting in lines a long time or you crisscrossed the park in 90+ degree weather. At least with FP I could book them to time when I would be in an area.
When we likely go back in a few years it will only be to visit a couple parks and go elsewhere.

Everything has gone up in price. Look at costs for going out for dinner. If it's in your budget, I think it's still worth it to do some fun frivolous things that give you joy. But pick and choose what those things are and what's worth it to you and what works with your budget.

I did two days at Epcot, a day at SeaWorld, and a day at Busch gardens over spring break in March (two resort days too). I thought Flower and Garden was beautiful (first time I ever did it) -- took my 85 year old dad, something he and I always wanted to see, so that was kind of cool. I did Genie Plus to get a few shorter lines (kind of a rip off). Didn't like that being offsite I was there for rope drop, but had to wait a 1/2 hour longer (but I get that -- I didn't want to pay onsite prices). Busch Gardens had so much closed and felt run down (wouldn't go again). SeaWorld was lovely as always (best value IMHO for parks in the area and a favorite of my family / extended family). We did two chill out / family visiting days too at the resort and at my nephew's house (he lives in Orlando.) Four of the 20 somethings did a day at Universal and I bought them those front of line passes (insanely expensive) - sort of necessary with the spring break crowds, but a rip off. The one time passes were less than a throw away hotel room at a deluxe universal resort when I did the math. Universal if you go multiple days doesn't seem so bad with price per day, but if you just want to do one day with a park to park ticket, they gouge you even more than Disney does.

I think this is more working from home now and getting older, but the Orlando traffic was more of a pain to me than it has been in the past (I hated driving in it). It didn't help that with our party of six, I was the only one on the rental contract and was doing a bunch of shuttling people around. I also have a cousin in Tampa and HATED HATED the drive there and back to do a day trip to see him. I ran across so many crazy drivers weaving in and out. They had been cleared so didn't slow me down too much, but I ran across four accidents on my way back to Orlando. My cousin is in assisted living, and I like to visit him once a year. Anyway for 2023 I am just flying right into Tampa (He is just 20 minutes from the airport). I'm spending three nights in a hotel there near his assisted living facility and taking him to the Lowery Park Zoo and Tampa Aquarium and skipping Orlando entirely and skipping Tampa theme parks, picking local activities instead. It just sounds better to me. My favorite nephew from Orlando is going to join me (I got a hotel room for him for one night, so he doesn't have to commute both days).

It felt overall like the March vacation was more hectic, more crowded, and less spontaneous than I would prefer. It just doesn't seem worth repeating something like that with a big group again to me.

For getting together with the big group in 2023 (10-14 of us), we are going to get three condos in Sedona, AZ (chill at the resort and see some nearby sites, with some of us doing some hiking and some doing a few little day trips.). I don't plan on planning or going to a big group get-together in Orlando again (I've done a ton of these over the years, but they are more work and less fun than in the past). And onsite would never be something I'd consider for a large group -- WAY WAY too pricey and totally not worth it to me when when I look at the dollars involved (not even in the realm of possibilities for dollars that we budget for travel and all those people - many who we pay expenses for). That's us though. Others have different budgets, priorities, disposable income.

I also am rescheduling a once in a lifetime trip to Europe (Well actually it's my third trip to Europe, but I'm in my 60s) -- This one is Paris and Belfast: (dream trip for DS in his 20s that we were supposed to do in 2019). With four years having passed DH who is in his late 60s is less interested than before and is skipping. DS's significant other won't be coming either, so it's just a mother / son trip. With just two of us it will be pretty darn easy and spontaneous and DS is so much fun to travel with. With DS's love of Disney, after four nights in Paris, we are going to do a Disneyland Paris onsite package and do 2 1/2 days in the park. That should be pretty fun and relaxing with the extra time and a modest list of must do things. After that we head to Belfast for three nights. I think this will be my last overseas trip too. I plan to stick primarily to vacationing in the US I think after this one and will plan to go to less popular places at less popular times.

Happy travels. All is more expensive and crowded (less appealing to me in than in the past, but still kind of fun), so it's picking and choosing. And I'm personally inclined to travel less rather than more these days, but I still love doing a little traveling.

Last edited:
My nephew works at Disney, and he also goes to Universal all the time ...He tells me that Universal is more expensive...close to $190 for a park ticket. $100-180 for an express day, where you can go on express lines for each ride, but only ride once a day....doesn’t seem worth it to me since not all roses are created equal.

Even if the raised prices bothered me, it wouldn’t affect my enjoyment of WDW...I just love Disney so much. They likely lost billions of dollars during the pandemic - I have no issue with them trying to recoup some of that cost, especially as I’m sure the money is going into improvements, etc...

Anyway, I can’t put a price on the sheer joy I have at Disney.

Disney is NOT a birth rite. There is no obligation to keep it affordable to the masses.

Only Disney knows how the price increases are impacting attendance and PROFITS.

But we all complain it is too crowded. If this thins out the crowds, I am ok with it. Sorry if it prices some people out, but for me, we are still full speed ahead until corporate wokeness gets too much to tolerate. Then we are out.

I used to be a DVC member, an AP holder, Tables in Wonderland cardholder, and frequent WDW traveler. I let my AP expire in 2015, sold my DVC points later that same year, and haven't been in a theme park since. Disney priced me out a long time ago. Unless and until Disney brings prices in line with value (which I doubt will happen any time soon), I'm not headed back to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter