With expansions, Pandora, and Galaxies Edge in the rearview mirror is Disney "tapped out" for competing with Epic Universe?

Man, I feel old. Pokemon? Nintendo? Neither of those appeal to me at all. (Nothing wrong with them, just not my deal.)

But yeah, outside of gaming, what big franchises are still out there untapped?

Personally, I'd love Lord of the Rings. It's *way* past it's prime, obviously. Maybe (maybe) if they'd struck while the iron was hot back during the movies or *maybe* if the new Amazon series takes off like crazy (I'm not optimistic). I think it has all sorts of possibilities from very homey, kids stuff (the Shire Experience) to very intense, dark stuff. A million cool angles to work with and a deep lore to mine. I'd love to see a truly great theme park take on it.

But that's probably like asking for a great theme park take on King Lear. I can't see it happening. Heck, even I wouldn't green light that if I were Disney or Universal.

So Pokemon it is!

Personally, I'd love Lord of the Rings. It's *way* past it's prime, obviously. Maybe (maybe) if they'd struck while the iron was hot back during the movies or *maybe* if the new Amazon series takes off like crazy (I'm not optimistic). I think it has all sorts of possibilities from very homey, kids stuff (the Shire Experience) to very intense, dark stuff. A million cool angles to work with and a deep lore to mine. I'd love to see a truly great theme park take on it.

But that's probably like asking for a great theme park take on King Lear. I can't see it happening. Heck, even I wouldn't green light that if I were Disney or Universal.
I would LOVE Lord of the Rings too. If I had to pick which park would make that a reality, I would choose Universal. If Universal were able to recreate Middle Earth with the same love and care as the Wizarding World, I don't think I would visit Hollywood Studios ever again. With Disney, I'm not super confident they can do the property justice. Also not like it matters to modern Disney but J.R.R. Tolkien HATED Disney movies so it would be ironic if the Shire was built in one of their parks.

I do think that Universal isn't afraid to do stuff although sometimes it backfires. Like Fast and Furious was a dud even though I can't do high thrill roller coasters what they chose to make of it flopped but in some way as we were on it I kept laughing at the absurdity of it all because it matched the franchise's path (I mean come on a car in space!? and this is coming from someone who loves the franchise). They should have done it where you were actually in a car but not a full on screen based ride.

I get tired of Disney releasing information and then cutting back on funding for it; it just gets depressing over time when you're like "this is so cool..but we ended up with this??". While I figure Universal has things in the works that may get scaled back at least I'm not hearing about it. Plus Universal waits to announce things til later, it's often why things don't get delayed (Fast and Furious was one that was slightly delayed) too because they are usually fairly far on in the process when it's given its press release.

For Disney I'm not sure that they are tapped out so much that I'm not sure they have an identity right now, I was very much excited over the years with MCU and I still am..but I do find myself saying Disney has focused so heavily on that that has become their identity..just marvel movies. For a while it was Marvel and Star Wars but they've slowed down on Star Wars purposefully (probably a good idea though). I think Star Wars land is great in theming but I remember seeing it for the first time in DLR in 2019 (when Smugglers Run was the only thing opened) and felt like it needed more, just more to it, too much open land in spots, and having experienced now WDW's I feel the same way, it just feels like it's missing things.

Toy Story was stupid to put in without shade, whose silly oversight was that because that would be a terrible budget cut. Plus it was supposed to have a sit down place from the beginning. IDK even if Disney had some ideas to put into a big grand addition they don't seem to know how to do it like they did in the past.

I would LOVE Lord of the Rings too. If I had to pick which park would make that a reality, I would choose Universal. If Universal were able to recreate Middle Earth with the same love and care as the Wizarding World, I don't think I would visit Hollywood Studios ever again. With Disney, I'm not super confident they can do the property justice. Also not like it matters to modern Disney but J.R.R. Tolkien HATED Disney movies so it would be ironic if the Shire was built in one of their parks.
It was last week or maybe the week before us DISer friends were talking about how a Lord of the Rings area would be highly desired. Universal I would agree would give it its better shot. That's an IP that while may be past it's prime is also perhaps the better time to do it as there's been enough time for those of us who really enjoyed it to remember how much we enjoyed it to then get to live out in some way what we saw on screen. Do it right and you get people of all ages coming to enjoy it.

Over and over I see people talking about a 5th gate. I don't see that as possible any time in the near future. Or maybe into the far future.
Disney is currently unable to staff the four parks they have now. They can't staff the restaurants, hotels or transportation. How are they going to meet the personnel needs of a 5th gate and all that encompasses?

The 5th gate thing always seems like misplaced hope to me. People want one with the idea that it will thin out crowds, not realizing that no theme park intentionally builds anything with the hope that their park ends up less crowded.

Consider me one of those people. I have never seen Star Wars and I don't care about Marvel but I absolutely love Nintendo and so do a lot of my friends (we are all in our mid 20s). I am super excited for the Nintendo themed areas that are coming to Hollywood and Orlando.
Definitely. I've never been to Universal - and similarly I don't really care about SW or Marvel (or HP) - but Nintendo has me sold (mid ... shoot ... late 30s). Plus my kids. And if they had Pokemon ... the kids would definitely be there.

It was last week or maybe the week before us DISer friends were talking about how a Lord of the Rings area would be highly desired. Universal I would agree would give it its better shot. That's an IP that while may be past it's prime is also perhaps the better time to do it as there's been enough time for those of us who really enjoyed it to remember how much we enjoyed it to then get to live out in some way what we saw on screen. Do it right and you get people of all ages coming to enjoy it.
I agree. I think Lord of the Rings as a franchise isn't dated but is one that is universal (no pun intended). I read the books when I was in high school and so did my mom when she was a teen. And now I bet there are kids/teens getting into them now. I would freak out in a good way if I saw a land as well themed as Wizarding World or Pandora, but it was Middle Earth. Aw man now I'm imagining a ride like Rise of the Resistance but with LOTR and hyping myself up because it's not happening anytime soon xD
Definitely. I've never been to Universal - and similarly I don't really care about SW or Marvel (or HP) - but Nintendo has me sold (mid ... shoot ... late 30s). Plus my kids. And if they had Pokemon ... the kids would definitely be there.
Like I said in my previous posts, Pokemon is coming to Universal Japan and I bet in the next few years it'll end up in Hollywood and Orlando. Pokemon is massive and could really attract the elementary school and under crowd that Universal has always struggled to attain in their parks. I think Nintendo as an entity is strong enough to carry Universal but maybe not for people much older than me. My mom doesn't know anything about Nintendo and can't name a single Pokemon if her life depended on it, so she isn't swayed by Epic Universe and still prefers Disney.

I agree. I think Lord of the Rings as a franchise isn't dated but is one that is universal (no pun intended). I read the books when I was in high school and so did my mom when she was a teen. And now I bet there are kids/teens getting into them now. I would freak out in a good way if I saw a land as well themed as Wizarding World or Pandora, but it was Middle Earth. Aw man now I'm imagining a ride like Rise of the Resistance but with LOTR and hyping myself up because it's not happening anytime soon xD
Only if the soundtrack to the ride is Led Zepplin's "Ramble on" - then I MIGHT be interested.

Disney has announced MANY projects since this whole DeSantis crap started. They announced new Epcot world showcase details, new Blizzard Beach improvements, more Splash Mountain refurb details, Poly Tower details.... Reedy Creek, whether it stays or goes, doesn't matter.

It's looking like all the major projects (Guardians, Tron, Epcot) will be done by Spring 2023. At that time, Universal's new park is still over 2 years away. Disney has plenty of time to add more. Mary Poppins? Add a Cars land to Disney World? Encanto? Lots of IP to work with.

The ONLY thing I'm looking forward to at Epic Universe is Nintendo land. More Harry Potter? Meh. Monsters? Meh. Training your Dragon? Might be cool. We'll see.
Considering their process to get things built and approved will be impacted, this matters.

Disney Dish mentioned a few weeks ago that construction staffing was way, way up more so than what is needed for current/ existing projects, but the rumor lid is shut tight. Next expansion will be forthcoming at D23 Im sure. My guess, no 5th gate for a while, but most likely candidates are new land at DHS/ AK or expansion of one or more of the following existing lands Dinoland, Pandora, current launch bay area in DHS, Echo Lake area, or Rafikis planet watch area.

I would love to see a "5th gate" but that wont be for another decade or more. Disney Springs really is the "5th gate" of WDW and they still have work underway on portions of it. Not to mention they are in the midst of refreshing/ rehabbing blizzard Beach and building a Tower at Poly.

Before we get a 5th gate...
Epcot needs the play pavilion and an update to imagination and its 3D theatre, proabably 1-2 World Showcase pavilions too,
AK needs 2 more lands, plus an update/ reimagining of Dinoland, and another attraction for Pandora
MK needs to use its expansion pads behind frontier land and adventureland, the new monorail cars, another DVC tower at Contemporary, probably a complete track redo/ replacement of space mountain
DHS needs 1-2 more Star Wars Land Attractions, a New land/ retheme of launch bay, and an entirely new land somewhere among the now underused. unused sound stages where the studios used to be

Around property probably another skyliner connecting DHS, AKL, AK, and Coronado. Once thats all done, and the parks are still jammed, Disney will start on that 5th gate.

It feels like HS and Epcot have added great attractions the past few years and MK has Tron coming.

AK is the park that really needs more attractions imo. Dinoland has room for something with Primeval Whirl gone and there's lots of space between Pandora and Africa.

It feels like HS and Epcot have added great attractions the past few years and MK has Tron coming.

AK is the park that really needs more attractions imo. Dinoland has room for something with Primeval Whirl gone and there's lots of space between Pandora and Africa.
Tron was supposed to have opened in time for the 50th plus the railroad has been closed if you can believe it since early December 2018.

Star Wars opened with 1 ride, the 2nd ride suffers from frequent breakdowns

Toy Story was supposed to have a restaurant that had been cut and they opened the land with virtually no shade and one of it's rides (Alien Swirling Saucers) already has to be significantly shut down (half of it) for refurb and it's been open for just under 4 years.

Epcot's entrance is a mess, the Spaceship Earth refurb seems to be off the table for the foreseeable future, the grandeur of what they had shown for Epcot's entrance seems to be significantly downgraded based upon new renderings, Space 220 also suffered from a downgraded rendering

IDK sure they've got some stuff they've done in the last few years and things coming but I'm not so sure they should get too much credit. Not trying to be debbie downer here on your comment because you're not wrong and I agree about AK

They are currently building the sit down restaurant in Toy Story Land. It will probably be opened by fall at the latest.

It’s not just Rise of the Resistance that has constant down time. All of the WiFi trackless dark rides, Remy, Mickey and Minnie Run Away Railway have constant down time. The problems are the technology. It’s not as reliable as it could be. Every once in a while even the best smartphone has issues and needs a reboot. That is usually the issue with those rides.

Universal also has had a ton of issues with Hagrids motorbike roller coaster ride. Probably a lot more than Rise does.

Last edited:
They are currently building the sit down restaurant in Toy Story Land. It will probably be opened by fall at the latest.
Yup I know except it didn't open when the land did as a budget cut, building now isn't really the point.
It’s not just Rise of the Resistance that has constant down time. All of the WiFi trackless dark rides, Remy, Mickey and Minnie Run Away Railway have constant down time.
Yup I know kinda silly don't you think to have your new rides be down a lot? Sure they are cool but does it add to the guest experience if it's down often? Remy doesn't seem to go down as much as Rise and Minnie and Mickey though
Universal also has had a ton of issues with Hagrids motorbike roller coaster ride. Probably a lot more than Rise does.
Yup I know but topic was things Disney has added in the last several years as part of expansions. I'll disagree about being down more than Rise though.

I hope WDW announces additional rides to Star Wars Land and Pandora soon. I love the lands they've made recently, but they have too few rides and sit down restaurants. Dinoland also needs to be redone into a different land. I love AK and hope they put more money into that area of it

Anyone know why Universal doesn't have a HP hotel? We're taking my daughter there in the fall for just the HP lands, and she's bummed they don't have a themed hotel.

Anyone know why Universal doesn't have a HP hotel? We're taking my daughter there in the fall for just the HP lands, and she's bummed they don't have a themed hotel.
From what I've read, JK Rowling (author of Harry Potter) has to approve EVERYTHING that is made with her IP in the parks. This includes the rides, merchandise, food and even the exact layout of Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. I assume that she would not approve of a Harry Potter hotel that strayed too far from the lore of the Wizarding World. I think Universal could make so much money from a HP hotel but I digress.

I hope WDW announces additional rides to Star Wars Land and Pandora soon. I love the lands they've made recently, but they have too few rides and sit down restaurants. Dinoland also needs to be redone into a different land. I love AK and hope they put more money into that area of it

I generally agree and think these areas will be of the most focus in the next rotation. Epcot needs a rest for the time being - not a fan of walls, but won't mind a new country + a new ride provided it doesn't impede traffic in World Showcase. I love AK and somewhat protective of it, but Dinoland definitely needs to go :)

Toy Story was supposed to have a restaurant that had been cut and they opened the land with virtually no shade and one of it's rides (Alien Swirling Saucers) already has to be significantly shut down (half of it) for refurb and it's been open for just under 4 years.
The lack of shade in Toy Story Land is TERRIBLE. This upcoming trip I have made it a priority to only go to Toy Story Land in the late evening.

I would also love for them to do something with Dino Land. I love the dinosaur ride, but i can see them doing away with the land all together and reimagine it into something else. It also has the same problem as toy story land with absolutely no shade. Last oct we didn't even make it over to that area. It wasn't in our priority of things to do. I am going to try to make it that way this upcoming trip though.

I generally enjoy the rides, but was thinking that instead of adding more rides, maybe add more shows. Something that will attract a wider audience for a longer time. I'm thinking maybe a Little Mermaid or Hall of Presidents...something to absorb the crowds when the headliner rides go down.

I enjoy having a mix of rides and shows. With all the new work, i think the shows have been in the rearview mirror. There are open areas that are under utilized that can definitely be used.

The lack of shade in Toy Story Land is TERRIBLE. This upcoming trip I have made it a priority to only go to Toy Story Land in the late evening.
And they've actually added more stuff to shade at least parts of the queue since it opened but it took a while (and this lack of shade was covered by many bloggers/vloggers and left a lot of people scratching their heads) but when we were there last month just the land itself was just blazing sun on you. If the goal was to not have been loiter around the land during the day I'd say they accomplished that lol.

We didn't have the chance to do Toy Story at night (was doing other things in DHS) but that's a fantastic idea to try and tour it more at night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter