With The Neighbor Threads: How Are Your Neighbors?

Very quiet street. Subdivision was built 41 years ago, and there are still 2 original owners left. We've been here 34 years. Most of my concerns, to be honest, are nit picking or tied to the fact that I have to be at work at 3 am, so I go to bed at 7 pm. And to be honest, sometimes the things the Neighborhood Watch Program suggests neighbors watch out for....strange people or strange cars in the neighborhood....border on being a nosy neighbor.

One house has been a rental house for the last eight years, but the current tenants....been there 3 years..... treat it like they own it, unlike the previous two tenants.
House on one side sold 2 years ago. The previous owners had been there 33 years and we were very close to them. New neighbors are fine, he is retired Air Force, and this is their first house, just had a new baby, but as one neighbor put it, they still kind of have a renters attitude, upkeep is kind of an after thought. So their pool is green, and the lawn needs cutting. And I do find it odd that they let their 8 year old go out at 730 pm in the dark to play basketball, but again, that is nit picking.
Neighbor on the other side we rarely see, she has been there about 4 years. She and her husband divorced about a year after they moved in, and she has had more than one live in boyfriend But Neighborhood Watch says you are supposed to keep an eye out for that type thing so you know who belongs and who doesn't. She is quiet, but they have pool parties every holiday, and again, nit picking because it isn't her fault that holidays are not days off for anyone in my household, and that we have to be in bed at 7 pm.

And one house, well, let's just say there HAS to be a good story there. Sweet Lady..... with 4 adult children. Lots of odd vehicle traffic when mom isn't home or is asleep, and lots of visits from the Sheriff's Department....but at least they are quiet!

We have a pretty quiet street. We used to have one lady that caused some trouble once in awhile. But unfortunately she was an alcoholic with mental issues and took her own life over Memorial Day weekend last year. There's a crabby old lady right across the street that likes to call the police and gossip about everyone, college professors on one side of us that like their wine but keep to themselves for the most part. On the other side though, we won the neighbor lottery. They are empty nesters a bit younger then my parents and have truly become our family. We spend holidays there, my son has stayed there when we have gone out of town and they are even his emergency contact at school in case they can't get ahold of us. With no family close to us, it's been great.

We live out in the country so houses are spaced further apart, but the closest neighbor to our west is a wee bit annoying. He is the third neighbor that has lived in that house since we moved here in 1978. The other two families were great. This guy has been married and divorced and now is either remarried or just has a live-in girlfriend with kids. His first wife/kids were fine, but his current wife/girlfriend brought a dog along and lets it run the neighborhood. It has been over here in our yard several times, trying to terrorize my barn cats, and getting into our tool shed. We don't want him in there as he could get into something he shouldn't and do damage. Her daughters (maybe 10 or so and a teenager) have come over several times to try and get the dog to go home (it just runs from them) and the wife/girlfriend actually drove over in her car and through our driveway (circular drive)once hollering for the dog. I really don't understand why they don't either tie it up when it's outside (it's mostly an indoor dog) or fence in a small area of their property for the dog when it needs to be outside. I have seen cars have to slow down for it as it is in the road quite often, once even LAYING DOWN in the road so I wondered if it had gotten hit. :( Their chickens are free-roaming also, and quite often we'll see one squashed in the road. I would hate for the dog to have the same fate. :(

Also, last summer the wife/girlfriend sits outside on her porch steps and plays music. Would be fine, no problem, but...she plays the car radio and turns it up LOUD. I can hear it plainly when I'm on the west side of our house (our deck is on the west side) and even when I'm INSIDE with windows shut I can detect the bass. She did that a LOT last summer and I expect she'll do it again this summer. She never does it when the guy is at home, which I find strange. I really hate to have to put up with it this summer, but really don't want to confront her about it either. :(

Our nearest neighbor to the east is DH's sister/niece, then the next neighbor after that is our DD and her DH and kids. :) Neighbors to the north and south of us are both a mile away so we have no issues with them. Can hear cows mooing from time to time at the farm south of us. :)

The people directly across the street just moved in and I have only seen them once, once the weather is nicer (current weather aside) I am sure that we will see them more, the house next to them their oldest son got picked up by US Marshalls for outstanding warrants related to a meth lab he was running from their garage. That was before we moved in. Now that he is no longer there the traffic has slowed down and they are pretty quiet. They also have a daughter who was living with them but we haven't seen her is quite some time. My immediate neighbors on either side are very nice, as I have said in previous threads the one family who has younger (middle school aged) kids had been using our space as theirs but we ironed out the kinks, they used our back yard as a cut through, kids and their friends played in my yard, etc. The only thing that irks me sometimes is that the wife is VERY nosey and she doesn't even try to hide it. The family on the other side has 2 kids the same ages as mine and they are all a very nice people.

We just moved into a newly constructed buildingf with 21 units--so everyone is newto one another.
So far most everyone seems pretty good. I am a little aprehensive about one couple:

everyone has an assigned space in the underground parking garage and there are SIX signs in that garage telling people you have to pull into spaces (not back in) so that the exhaust works better. Fomr day one this couple has ignored that and backed in. The builder has sent out two emails reminding everyone of this in teh 6 weeks since people began moving in---they still do it daily.

the three penthouses all have terraces and between those were originally planned green areas. When we bought it was made CLEAR that the green areas are NOT the property of the person whose terrace borders it and you CANNOT use it as such. Period. If you want to use that space, you had to pay up front to have it changed into terrace---this was a cost of construction but also added significantly to the property tax (most of which is paid when you purchase) and also jumps the yearly property tax bill by about 10%. We paid to have our terrace extended---for us it is totally worth the cost. Same neighbors, left the green space and have steppignstones and a patio set on it already.

Niether one of these things is a huge deal or affects me much overall---but I wonder if the "rules don't apply to us attitude" is going to carry over into more troubleseom stuff later
Congrats on the new home, Hadley!! :wave2: Welcome to condo living - it's surprising how acutely aware you become of the conduct of the neighbours in ways you never were before you became "co-owners". We're 2 years in now but came into a very well established complex where most other residents had already lived for many years. I'm sure we were under pretty intense scrutiny to blend in, which I guess we must have done since there have been no complaints. :laughing:

And one house, well, let's just say there HAS to be a good story there. Sweet Lady..... with 4 adult children. Lots of odd vehicle traffic when mom isn't home or is asleep, and lots of visits from the Sheriff's Department....but at least they are quiet!
Oh my goodness. We have the same situation with our across the street neighbors. I often wonder if they're running drugs or something. It's peculiar to say the least. The mom is the only one who leaves on a regular basis for work.

We live on 2 acres in the country so all the lots are just about the same size. Our immediate neighbors to the left and right of us are great. 1 is a single man that we've had over for holiday dinners. He plays in a band and sometimes we hear them practicing in his basement during the summer and the sound wafts over and it's nice. The other side is a younger couple with a little boy and they are relatively new to the house and they too are nice. Couple across the street are retired and for the most part, very nice but a little crotchity at times. When our kids were young we lit off fireworks on the 4th of July and the man runs across the road and tells us that the fireworks better not land on his house or else.

We have a neighbor 2 houses down that is bat spit crazy. As of recent she has started rumors that our house was raided and all of our belongings were removed from the house. She most likely witnessed emergency response vehicles at my house one night so she called someone who told someone that we were being raided! That rumor got all the way to my daughter at her high school the next day. The other day the next rumor she started was that my dh and I are getting a divorce. We aren't but that also reached my daughter at school. The woman must be in her 60's and does not have children we talk to or any grandchildren. She is a busy body who is just making crap up and telling her friend who is my daughter's best friends grandma. I am going to go over to her house and give her the what for! She has always given our next door neighbor (whoever it was, as there have been many people who have lived there and moved due to her over the last 15 years) problems. This last summer she called the cops on them every other week and went as far as putting paper plate signs on her lawn saying bad words about the neighbors. They have a 7 year old that could read those horrible signs. They are a nice quiet couple that minds their own but this woman is NUTS!!!!!

Well, the three "complaints" I have are minor and barely qualify as complaints.

1. The 12-year-old boy immediately to our left thinks he's going to pitch for the Cardinals some day, and during the warmer months he's out front practicing all day. Several of his baseballs find their way to our yard. I'm not particularly bothered by this; I just toss them back into his yard.
2. The across-the-street neighbor owns some sort of racing conveyance that he brings out of his garage a few times per year. He'll start it, rev it a few times, let it idle, rev it, lather rinse repeat. This lasts for an hour. And you can hear that revving from three counties away.
3. This actually does irk me and I'd complain about it if I thought it would do a lick of good: the cop who lives two doors down from us on the other side of the street, for some bizarre reason, thinks it's his job to be the "hall monitor" for the kids walking home from the school bus stop. He literally follows them in his squad car, and if they talk too loud (I guess) or do some other thing that upsets him, he sounds his siren. It's weird AF and extremely unnecessary.

I had (past tense) neighbors that lived behind me and they had four boys and a girl. They were for the most part good people, but the kids as they grew into teenagers were hellions. Loud parties, cops showing up, empty bottles of everything imaginable were thrown into our yard on a daily basis, including OTC cough medicine. To the point, where I had to inspect our yard before letting my daughter outside to play on her swingset. I would pick the bottles up and throw them over the fence into their yard. Thankfully, teenagers aren't teenagers for too long and they moved along. They lost the house to the bank recently, which is never a good thing for anyone involved.

The neighbors to the north of my house are quiet and private people and the neighbor to my south is a registered sex offender. So, there's that... I always wanted to have a "good neighbor" friend who would pop over for coffee & conversation or a glass of wine. Someone you could count on in case of emergency, but that doesn't seem to be in the cards for us.

I really like the older man who bought the house next door 6 or 7 ago. Until he moved the adult son and his family in with him. It started with them parking on part of our driveway, escalated to him berating my husband (and trying to engage him in a fight) for not cutting their swath of grass between garages, and then progressed to the adult son being taken out in cuffs by SWAT for threatening his family with a gun. Of course he was back 8 days later, but at least things seem to have settled down since then.

I would not be the least bit sad to see that house turn over again.
:scared1: Good grief!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that they have some reason to move... soon!

We basically do our own thing... friendly in a "Hi!", "Bye!" kind of way but nothing more. I think it's a bit of a French Canadian thing... or at least was true of the town I grew up in -- everyone kinda' just did their own thing -- not a lot of getting together with the neighbors. :confused3

But no one who's really problematic. There's the neighbor behind us who won't trim his tree even when it hangs down onto our garage. We just pay to have it trimmed periodically -- not worth having a problem.

It is a VERY POLITICAL area, though, so LOTS of yard signs, signs in the windows, even painting slogans and the like on windows these days! I could do without that sort of thing, but... whatever... live and let live! :)

Nope! I got the winner..
"Norfolk 12 year employee" the basics? She was suspended from work for threatening a coworker, search of her car yielded a box cutter.
When the city realized they terminated her. She had the nerve to request unemployment!
While this mess was going on. Her daughter in law "lived with her" told 12year I said the FBI was coming to raid. Smh! Dunno where she got that.
We live in a circle. And there are always cars parked in it. 2 times she's called the cops! One of those times she got a ticket too!
That not the half of it

Half and half. We have two men on the block that are just odd. One is a hoarder and the other seems like he lives in his car--he sits in his car all day. The rest are all elderly and we don't see them out much, but they sit at their windows. We say hello to everyone, and like that we're the only ones who are not retired. They watch the neighborhood and are a bit of a security system.

Nope! I got the winner..
"Norfolk 12 year employee" the basics? She was suspended from work for threatening a coworker, search of her car yielded a box cutter.
When the city realized they terminated her. She had the nerve to request unemployment!
While this mess was going on. Her daughter in law "lived with her" told 12year I said the FBI was coming to raid. Smh! Dunno where she got that.
We live in a circle. And there are always cars parked in it. 2 times she's called the cops! One of those times she got a ticket too!
That not the half of it

Omg! I remember her from the news. And you had to deal with her on the daily, ugh.

I love my current neighbors. On one side we have a really nice couple who call themselves the 2 moms, and they are probably the most super-involved parents I have ever seen. Their daughter always knocks on my door with treats that baked up, lol. Love them! On the other side, we have an older couple who are old-time Floridians who have a painting company. Their house is bright turquoise with pink and green accents. They also have a big colorful fish mounted on their roof. He looks like a long-haired Jimmy Buffet and they smoke a lot of pot in their backyard and grill out a lot. We also have a retired couple from up north, that live across the street and they have brightly colored ceramic plates stuck in the ground around their flower beds. We live in a very funky, eclectic neighborhood :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter