(Wizard 101) Quest Tips & Help Thread!

Good news for both new and renewal subscribers:

Wizard 101 is running the $60/year promotion again (through September 7). :thumbsup2

HOWEVER --

I checked with KingsIsle Support and was told that, if you wish to renew at the special rate, you have to go to your account page and actually select the $60 rate. Your subscription will NOT renew at that rate automatically, even if your renewal happens during this promo period.

Good news for both new and renewal subscribers:

Wizard 101 is running the $60/year promotion again (through September 7). :thumbsup2

HOWEVER --

I checked with KingsIsle Support and was told that, if you wish to renew at the special rate, you have to go to your account page and actually select the $60 rate. Your subscription will NOT renew at that rate automatically, even if your renewal happens during this promo period.

I checked through the renewal page, and it looked like I was set up automatically to renew on 9/2 at the $60 rate.

I checked through the renewal page, and it looked like I was set up automatically to renew on 9/2 at the $60 rate.

Same for me.

If it was not for that special rate, I was thinking to continue on Crowns. Since I am all done, I was thinking of buying only the areas I needed and buying a monthly subcription once in a while, like when a new world comes on.

I am still undecided. I have until 9/07/09 to renew. I was going to stop the subcription and go the crowns route but that $60.00 a year is hard to pass up. My daughter and her friends have gone back to Pirates of the Caribbean Online so she doesn't want to play anymore. I have been playing Dragonica for over a week and haven't even logged onto Wizard101. Oh, what to do! :confused3

It may look that way, but I sent an email to KingsIsle Support specifically asking if my subscription would automatically renew at the $60 rate. This is the response I received:

Hello,

Unfortunately that is not the way it works. If you would like to ensure you are charged again for $60 instead of the normal $79.95 price you will need to login and make a purchase for the year at the $60 price. This will set the system to Queue up that pricing plan when your current year ends.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln
Ravenwood School of Magical Arts

It may look that way, but I sent an email to KingsIsle Support specifically asking if my subscription would automatically renew at the $60 rate. This is the response I received:

Wow, thanks a lot for the info. I feel they are going to get tons of complaints starting Sept. 2nd...

...I checked with KingsIsle Support and was told that, if you wish to renew at the special rate, you have to go to your account page and actually select the $60 rate. Your subscription will NOT renew at that rate automatically, even if your renewal happens during this promo period.
How do you do that? There is only one annual rate shown and it is $60. Do we have to go in and buy a year before they renew it and if so will the renewal go through too?

Guess it is EMail to KingsIsle time.

It could be that you need to change to trial and then select the discounted annual option. If you change your account to trial, it continues running until the expiration point so you have time to get it figured out.

How do you do that? There is only one annual rate shown and it is $60. Do we have to go in and buy a year before they renew it...?
That's what I did -- but it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how!

I didn't unsubscribe or switch to trial first. If I remember the steps correctly: After logging in at the site, I went through the "Update Subscription" link, made sure the 12-month plan was selected, and then picked the "Show Total" button at the bottom in order to complete the purchase. (I also updated my credit card info at the same time.)

I think the whole process should have been a lot simpler and clearer. But I guess I did it right, since I got a Purchase Confirmation email showing the discount rate. If there are any problems, you can bet they'll be hearing from me! :wizard:

...and if so will the renewal go through too?
I'm assuming, based on the email I quoted above, that the "new" discounted purchase is now queued up, rather than the automatic renewal. Time will tell.

My renewal date is this week, and I've been going back and forth about whether or not to renew. I have to say that I have gotten a bit bored with the game (in part because my friends don't seem to be on at the same time as me anymore, but also because it's the same basic thing over and over again), and I also get frustrated by the game (if I get pulled into battle in grizzleheim one more time I'm going to scream). I'm not sure if I want to spend the $60 on another year when the concept of the game stays the same, and only the location changes.

I guess I have a couple more days to decide.

i put my account on the unsubscribe list, i can't see renewing for another year to do the same things over, besides its no fun to play if i can't level up my wizards, [my wizards made GM last year] so i'm just gonna wait and see what they do before i pay any more $ .

I decided to renew for one year at the special rate.

I am taking a chance that KI still have some tricks in their magic bag :wizard:

So far they have not disappointed me.

Reminder:

If you don't want to renew, make sure to unsubscribe, otherwise it will renew automatically.

And if you want to renew at the special rate, see LittleWoodenhead's posts above...

I've decided to renew for one more year again as well. My daughter has decided to start playing again (she is driving me nuts!). Last night she was playing Pirates and Wizard101 at the same time. I'm hoping that KI has gone through their newbie stage and will start bringing out additional content.

I let mine automatically renew.

And they charged me $79.95. :headache:

Looks like they'll be getting an email from me.

I let mine automatically renew.

And they charged me $79.95. :headache:

Looks like they'll be getting an email from me.

Briar, did they send you an e-mail? Or did you notice the charge on your credit card statement?

Briar, did they send you an e-mail? Or did you notice the charge on your credit card statement?

They never sent me an email. I noticed the charge on my credit card activity.
They blithely replied to me about my concerns, and I sent some back. Here's what I wrote, their response, and my second response to them. I want to see how they can justify this.

My first email:
Hi, I am subscribed as player Briar.

I knew my subscription was coming up for renewal on 9/2, and I checked on the Wizard 101 home site to see what my billing should be. It appeared to show as the $60 special rate, so I let the subscription auto-renew.

I checked my bank statement, and I was charged $79.95. Can I be credited for the difference? Was I supposed to un-subscribe and re-subscribe manually to get this $60/year rate?

Please advise.
Lori

Their response:
Hi there,

I do apologize for the confusion, but to take advantage of the special rate you would have had to unsubscribe and subscribe with the special rate. If you have further questions, just let me know.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln
Ravenwood School of Magical Arts

Excuse me? Shouldn't we have been given some advance notice of that? Sure, Kenneth did warn us, but I don't think a player should have to inform other players. It was KingsIsle's responsibility, and they didn't warn us.

So I sent another reply:
I would have appreciated an email before my subscription renewal came up, but I didn't receive one.

Do the charter subscribers get penalized for not knowing we had to unsubscribe and re-subscribe to get the special $60 rate? I'm sorry, but that just doesn't seem acceptable to me. The website made it appear that we would get the renewal at the special rate, so yes, it was misleading.

I am disappointed I have to eat the extra cost when I would have been able to take advantage of the special offer with advance notice. I have paid an additional $19.95 based on a customer service error.

Is there further recourse?

Regards,
Lori

I thought I was approaching this in a calm, respectful way. I am curious to hear their next response. I figure it will be a "sorry, tough luck". Considering that they have been very good about responding to player concerns, I would be very upset if they don't apply Disney-style "guest recovery" on me.

I'm in the same boat as you, Briar. I couldn't get on the home page on the 1st to do what Kenneth said, but did do that on my actual anniversary date. Like you, it does look like the renewal was at the $60 rate.

If they don't give me the $60 rate, I'm going to file a claim with my credit card company and cancel my subscription. It is misleading.

That's why companies, including KI like auto-renewl subscriptions, they can renew you at the reg. price instead of the sale price. using the famous saying, it's Your responsability to check. if they sent out an email to people telling them their sub is about to run out and if you want the special rate you need to unsub then resub, think of All The Extra Money they would miss out on. think about it, they have millions of people playing the game, and if most are on auto-renew and don't check, i think i could retire on the extra cash they will take in.
just think about those that quit playing and didn't think about unsubing, thinking it would just run out and that would be it. and got hit with an $80 charge.

Briar if they don't fix it call your cc company.

That's why companies, including KI like auto-renewl subscriptions, they can renew you at the reg. price instead of the sale price. using the famous saying, it's Your responsability to check. if they sent out an email to people telling them their sub is about to run out and if you want the special rate you need to unsub then resub, think of All The Extra Money they would miss out on. think about it, they have millions of people playing the game, and if most are on auto-renew and don't check, i think i could retire on the extra cash they will take in.
just think about those that quit playing and didn't think about unsubing, thinking it would just run out and that would be it. and got hit with an $80 charge.

Briar if they don't fix it call your cc company.

But you see, I did check on their website at the end of August. The account status said I was set to renew on 9/2 at $60. Their own page, their own site. Totally led me to believe that I was going to be charged $60.

A company could foster a lot of good feeling if they did send out an email reminding you of the upcoming renewals. Magazine subscriptions warn me when I'm up for renewal, so why shouldn't this game do the same?

I am in the same boat and very upset about that. Now not only having to pay the 79.00 US I pay in Canadian and it converts to US. I am sure they have made may players unhappy. I ask for money back to quit. Because this was not right. II would have stayed at 60.00 but not at this price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter