Woman caught stealing luxury strollers from Disney

Did she use her DD to help steal it? OMG! Mother of the Year (in my most sarcastic voice)
Glad you were able to locate your DD's phone and the kid was caught. It angers me how people feel they can take what doesn't belong to them.

Yes, sticker finger had her dd with her.

As for DD's phone, she really doesn't get ticked off, but she found it and it was jacked up. And the expression on her face. It was a present from her dad. Yea, thieves suck.

Wow just wow at the people judging the woman whose stuff got stolen because of the cost of the stroller. I hope nothing ever happens to you guys. Yeah she made a bad judgement call leaving her wallet and niece's epi pen in the stroller but that doesn't mean she deserved to get her stuff stolen or shouldn't take the opportunity to help educate those going to Disney about not leaving your stuff in your stroller.

Woah! I didn't think she deserved it by any means. I just don't have a lot of sympathy. People need to take security measures no matter where they are. That's the world we live in, unfortunately.

Wow just wow at the people judging the woman whose stuff got stolen because of the cost of the stroller. I hope nothing ever happens to you guys. Yeah she made a bad judgement call leaving her wallet and niece's epi pen in the stroller but that doesn't mean she deserved to get her stuff stolen or shouldn't take the opportunity to help educate those going to Disney about not leaving your stuff in your stroller.

Are we reading the same thread cause no where do I see someone say wow, she deserved that because the cost of the stroller?

Have some of us comment on the stroller price itself? yes, but that is besides the theft.

People should have " sense" regardless. No one SHOULD have people take their stuff, but at the same time, you have to try to be vigilant. She got attention BECAUSE of how much the stroller was.

I feel a little guilty for judging....but only a little.

I think I'm judging her for her behavior afterward. She doesn't look like she was forced into those media interviews....and then describing herself as in need of 'rescue' because her wallet was stolen? A bit much.....

Woah! I didn't think she deserved it by any means. I just don't have a lot of sympathy. People need to take security measures no matter where they are. That's the world we live in, unfortunately.

Are we reading the same thread cause no where do I see someone say wow, she deserved that because the cost of the stroller?

Have some of us comment on the stroller price itself? yes, but that is besides the theft.

People should have " sense" regardless. No one SHOULD have people take their stuff, but at the same time, you have to try to be vigilant. She got attention BECAUSE of how much the stroller was.

There are a few posts that can be read as judging. It came out of this thread as well as the comments during the podcast in chat today. Some people seem to think if you spend more then them on something well then you must be an idiot so deserve it.

I don't think it'll make you happier, but I'm not judging her based on the cost of the stroller. I'm judging her because it never crossed her mind that people might steal stuff she can't afford to lose in a theme park. Who would leave their Epi pen and wallet unattended in any public setting? Even the stroller- if it's valuable to you, leave it at home or have someone who can stay with it. Doesn't matter is stroller's value is $15, 150, or 1500.

Some of these comments against the mother whose items were stolen, "sense enough", "stupid" "plain stupid", "I don't have a lot of sympathy"... I hope I'm never on trial, with some of you as jurors I would be up the creek without a paddle.

I have to agree there isn't much sympathy for her and it isn't about the cost of her stroller. I don't think she deserved to get her stuff stolen, but the fact is people will steal your stuff if its sitting out there to be taken. That thief is a piece of garbage, but I think common sense goes a long way in situations like that, and leaving your purse in an unattended stroller (no matter how much it cost) is a pretty stupid thing to do.

For my part, I don't really think it's judging, but if it is, oh well.

I still am baffled at the thought of spending $1800 on a stroller. I don't care how much money I have, I simply wouldn't do that. Just no.

Nobody "deserves" to have their stuff stolen, no question about that. But I would say it wasn't the wisest decision to bring such a stroller to WDW where you're going to leave it completely unattended for extended periods. Doesn't mean you deserve for it to be stolen, but I would agree with others that I wouldn't be the most sympathetic to the cause.

Some of these comments against the mother whose items were stolen, "sense enough", "stupid" "plain stupid", "I don't have a lot of sympathy"... I hope I'm never on trial, with some of you as jurors I would be up the creek without a paddle.

If you went to Walmart and left your car parked with the doors open and the keys in the ignition would you expect people to feel sorry for you if it got stolen?

If you went to Walmart and left your car parked with the doors open and the keys in the ignition would you expect people to feel sorry for you if it got stolen?

Actually a more applicable question would be- would you then feel it's necessary to raise awareness about the risk of leaving your car unattended, unlocked, with the keys in the ignition?

That's the part I don't get. That she felt it necessary to point to her actions and say "this is a bad choice- don't do it!"

I am with the group of I can't believe she would spend $1800 on a stroller. A stroller is only going to last a few years. It's going to get pooped on, have drinks spill on it, people are going to bump into it, it's going to get scuffed bumping against things... A pair of glasses, a handbag you'll have for 10 years, I totally get that. I know that some people like to buy expensive things just because they can, and others because it's what they want, but I'm grateful I've always been able to get what I wanted and needed at a much lower price. I'd rather spend my $1800 on a trip to Disney. It takes us a long time to save up for things, because we try and spend intentionally. I wonder what her financial situation was if she couldn't even afford a plane ticket home? Or some other method of transportation.

it is crummy people steal things, it's an absolute shame that instead of working hard and getting the satisfaction of earning whatever it is, they just want to steal it and make a quick buck. I guess they have little to no moral compass to think about how it effects the other person.

I do NOT want to start an argument or a debate but the following is just my impression after reading this thread:

* I opened the thread expecting to see a lot of outrage aimed at the thief. Instead I was surprised to read a lot more comments regarding the cost of the stroller and the poor judgment the victim used by leaving her valuables in her stroller.

* I AGREE the victim used poor judgment and I'm certain she's learned her lesson about leaving valuables in her stroller. I doubt she'll be doing that again. To be fair, even if her valuables were not left in the stroller, the fact that her stroller was stolen still meant she was out $1800 for the stroller.

* The cost of the stroller is irrelevant in my opinion. Different families have different incomes and different ways of spending their money.
Again, to be fair, I've read many stroller posts and I've read that many families have brought their expensive strollers to Disney. I've also read questions regarding the safety of leaving strollers in Disney and I've read many reassurances that people never had any problems with having their strollers or items in their stroller stolen. Perhaps she read similar threads and felt pretty safe at Disney. I know I was reassured about stroller safety after reading those threads (and no, I didn't leave valuables in my stroller ... only stuff that were replaceable like food, clothes etc.).

* Regardless of her poor judgment to leave valuables in her stroller or the cost of her stroller, it's unfortunate that this woman was targeted by a thief. I don't know how often this happens or how often word gets out that this happens at Disney but she was one of the unlucky ones. In the future, I'm sure she'll be investing in some kind of stroller lock if she brings another expensive stroller to Disney AND will always keep her valuables with her. Lesson learned! :-)

Please take no offense at my comments. I am NOT wanting to start an argument or debate.

I was just very surprised by the comments of this thread as I was expecting something different. :-)

I am with the group of I can't believe she would spend $1800 on a stroller. A stroller is only going to last a few years. It's going to get pooped on, have drinks spill on it, people are going to bump into it, it's going to get scuffed bumping against things... A pair of glasses, a handbag you'll have for 10 years, I totally get that. I know that some people like to buy expensive things just because they can, and others because it's what they want, but I'm grateful I've always been able to get what I wanted and needed at a much lower price. I'd rather spend my $1800 on a trip to Disney. It takes us a long time to save up for things, because we try and spend intentionally. I wonder what her financial situation was if she couldn't even afford a plane ticket home? Or some other method of transportation.

it is crummy people steal things, it's an absolute shame that instead of working hard and getting the satisfaction of earning whatever it is, they just want to steal it and make a quick buck. I guess they have little to no moral compass to think about how it effects the other person.

I think it's more that if she got her wallet stolen, the plane ticket and her cards and ID were likely in her wallet.

So she has two choices. Get her husband to Come and get her or wait til the bank and DOL can get temporary stuff to her. It's probably the case that her husband coming to get her was the quickest way. Least hassle definitely.

I do NOT want to start an argument or a debate but the following is just my impression after reading this thread:

* I opened the thread expecting to see a lot of outrage aimed at the thief. Instead I was surprised to read a lot more comments regarding the cost of the stroller and the poor judgment the victim used by leaving her valuables in her stroller.

* I AGREE the victim used poor judgment and I'm certain she's learned her lesson about leaving valuables in her stroller. I doubt she'll be doing that again. To be fair, even if her valuables were not left in the stroller, the fact that her stroller was stolen still meant she was out $1800 for the stroller.

* The cost of the stroller is irrelevant in my opinion. Different families have different incomes and different ways of spending their money.
Again, to be fair, I've read many stroller posts and I've read that many families have brought their expensive strollers to Disney. I've also read questions regarding the safety of leaving strollers in Disney and I've read many reassurances that people never had any problems with having their strollers or items in their stroller stolen. Perhaps she read similar threads and felt pretty safe at Disney. I know I was reassured about stroller safety after reading those threads (and no, I didn't leave valuables in my stroller ... only stuff that were replaceable like food, clothes etc.).

* Regardless of her poor judgment to leave valuables in her stroller or the cost of her stroller, it's unfortunate that this woman was targeted by a thief. I don't know how often this happens or how often word gets out that this happens at Disney but she was one of the unlucky ones. In the future, I'm sure she'll be investing in some kind of stroller lock if she brings another expensive stroller to Disney AND will always keep her valuables with her. Lesson learned! :-)

Please take no offense at my comments. I am NOT wanting to start an argument or debate.

I was just very surprised by the comments of this thread as I was expecting something different. :-)

I am definitely not trying to start a debate either. But would like to point out that if you pay $1800 for a stroller, it's probably covered under home or rental insurance. At least one would hope. She's not necessarily out of the money.

I totally understand what you mean about feeling safe to take a stroller to Disney. I honestly would not have thought stealing strollers from them parks was a profitable endeavor.

Even given that, though, I don't leave anything unattended that I don't want to lose. Even if I can file an insurance claim, it's a PITA to get something stolen. I had a bike and purse stolen this last year. Money from the insurance doesn't actually make up for the fact I can't replace that exact bike or that exact purse. Ugh. Thieves are the worse.

While I agree that it's not the best idea to leave money and valuables in an unattended stroller, it certainly is never right to steal. It's a shame that this is even an issue, but unfortunately in most places nowadays you have to be cautious. When I was a teenager, I lived in a small town in Pennsylvania with my dad. We never locked the house, and I never even actually owned a house key. When we went to the store or a restaurant, we not only left our cars unlocked, but also left the key IN the ignition (though the car was shut off). It was never a problem- EVERYBODY did it. Of course, I don't do that now, and would definitely not be so trusting at Disney, but everyone makes mistakes. I have on occasion forgot to lock my car my full of Christmas presents, or dropped my phone on the car seat without realizing it and left the car unlocked. I've left my car keys in the cup holder of the stroller at the mall when DS had a blow out and I had to rush him to the bathroom and wasn't thinking. All I am saying is, people do make mistakes sometimes. I'm sure she probably realizes she didn't make the best choice by now. I just kind of feel like by focusing on how she shouldn't have left valuables in an expensive stroller rather than the other woman shouldn't have stolen it, it sort of pushes the blame on to the woman who had her stuff stolen, and it shouldn't be like that. Yes, she should have thought more about leaving her stuff, but she's not the one who broke the law.

No, it's not OK to steal stuff from others, but people still do it. And how useful is that epipen going to be in the stroller if the niece has an attack in the queue? By the time someone goes out to get it and administer it, it could be too late. But the woman who got her stuff stolen seems to be that much of a dimwit - I would rethink letting my child with a life threatening allergy travel with her.

Why not just buy a $10 lock for the stroller?

Once upon a time, when my kids were much younger, I bought an expensive stroller. Expensive to me, anyway, at between $400-$500 which at that time was more than our mortgage payment. It wasn't about having a status symbol -- I am sooo not that type -- it was about having a good quality double stroller that maneuvered well. Anyway, we lived in AZ at the time and discovered Disneyland. My first thought was how do I keep someone from stealing my stroller? Perhaps $400-$500 wasn't expensive by other people's standards, but it definitely was to mine. I envisioned myself being unable to enjoy rides as I'd be worried about my stroller being taken.

I found the answer on a Disney message board: buy. a. lock. Now you can't be locking your stroller to trees or benches or anything like that. But you can lock two wheels of your own stroller together. CM's can still move the stroller, but how far's a thief going to get without being spotted if they can't easily roll the thing away?

And certainly take your valuables with you on rides! Not implying this woman in any way "deserved" to have her things stolen, but let's call a spade a spade -- it is pretty darn dumb to leave cash, cards, medicines, and keys unattended like that. Get a small backpack, purse, fanny pack, or whatever and bring that kind of stuff with you on rides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter