Women: How common is it to be called back after screening mammogram?

I get called back almost every time. I wonder why they can't do it right the first time? What other test is there where you get it done and then have to go back for a better look? Can't they just see right away weather they need add't films? It's annoying.

It depends on the type of mammogram. Typically a screening mammogram is cheaper and is not read right away. You can ask your doctor to write up a diagnostic mammogram order that is read right way by a radiologist on site but it's more expensive and sometimes insurance will not pay for it without a reason.

I've been called back several times due to dense tissue. One time I thought the tech didn't know what she was doing. When I went back they just took another shot of one side and that was it. Other times I had cysts and they did a sonogram.

I don't know anyone who hasn't been called back at least once. After my second one a couple of years ago (I'm 54 and don't go every year) I had to go back and get a diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound. Result? I had 3 fluid filled cysts. I knew immediately they were fluid filled when I saw them on the screen up on the wall. Fluid means benign and show up as dark ovals/circles on ultrasound. The tech measured them. After he read the tests the radiologist came in and said I was good to go. I'll be going back in the next couple of months.

It's really common. I have dense breast tissue and my mammographer said it was like trying to see a polar bear in the snow. I always get called back. They have to call you back for more images to differentiate between healthy tissue and if anything is concerning.

That's a great description. I have been getting mammograms for the past 20 years and I'd say I've been called back at least 8-9 times. I had a breast biopsy last April, which was concerning of course, but even that turned out fine.

Best of luck to you, OP. I'm sure it will be okay.princess:

I've been called back more than once for more pictures and have had ultrasounds everytime it has turned out fine.

My two sisters and I ( ages 40-46) have been called back a total of 5 times. Each time they have found nothing of concern. I was super nervous when I had to go back and it was fine!

I also have been called back, more than once.

Now I have a diagnostic mammogram done and it is done at the breast cancer center. So now I don't get called back.

I used to have to insist on the diagnostic but now that I go the Breast cancer center I just ask them to look at my last visit any say "yes I can see you need diagnostic".

I have a heavy family history of breast cancer (grandmother, mother and sister) so the first call back was extremely scary and I was only 30 at the time. Now it is old hat.

And I have never had any problem with insurance paying but that may be because I work in healthcare.

OP try not to worry and know many of us will be there in thoughts for you holding you up.

You guys are great :grouphug: I'm really not terribly worried. I'm actually the most worried about them just being way too cautious, and deciding to do a biopsy on whatever. I sent myself into hyperventilating anxiety attack on my commute home with that thought. :rolleyes2 Which is not at ALL like me, but that's what the mere thought of needles in general does. I so SO wish I was one of those people (like my bf) who just has zero problem with things like that! But I do, and it is what it is. So I'm just hoping they see what they need to see on the diagnostic mammo and the U/S, and be done with it. :yes:

The place I go, The Rose, is completely dedicated to only breast health, and their equipment is top of the line. All digital, CAD, and really great people. I just hope that after Saturday, I don't have to see them again for a year. :)

Thanks again for sharing your experiences, and letting me know how common the call-backs are. Love y'all! :goodvibes

I have one every year and am called back almost every year. This has been going on for the last 15 years for me. It is tough not to worry but it is very common to be called back. I have been told that the next step would be an ultra sound of the breast but never have needed to go on to that step! Wishing the best for you.

I have one every year and am called back almost every year. This has been going on for the last 15 years for me. It is tough not to worry but it is very common to be called back. I have been told that the next step would be an ultra sound of the breast but never have needed to go on to that step! Wishing the best for you.

That's the part that has me a teensy bit concerned -- they have me scheduled for both the diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound. I was hoping that was common too. Is it not?

I have had a call back and a biopsy.

According to Web MD :
According to the American Cancer Society, about 10% of women who have a mammogram will be called back for more tests. But only 8% to 10% of those women will need a biopsy and 80% of those biopsies turn out be benign.

I am getting a mammogram next week. I sympathize and wish you luck

Plus, with digital imaging....it picks EVERYTHING up. Anything needs to be investigated. I had two "abnormalities" which turned out to be lymph nodes.

That digital mammography "picks EVERYTHING up" is one of the great risks of mammography, this also happens with standard mammography (sources: Mammography Screening: Truth, Lies and Controversy by Peter Gotzsche and The Mammogram Myth by Rolf Hefti - more at TheMammogramMyth dot com).

Because of the type of misleading information women have been exposed to about breast cancer and mammography by the cancer industry few know that many breast cancer "survivors" are actual victims of harm instead of receivers of benefit.

I've had a mammogram every year since I was 30 because my mom died young from breast cancer. Every single year I'm called back for more images and almost every time I end up having an ultrasound as well. Nothing has ever been found, but I'm thankful for the dr. for being so thorough. This year my dr. and I are fighting with my insurance to have an MRI as well, we'll see who wins!

I also have dense tissue and have had a call back because of it. They did an ultrasound to see more clearly. I think call backs are usually more percautionary then anything. Any how good luck and hope you get all the info you need soon!

Hi all, just wanted to give a quick update!

Was there bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (Not!!) at 8am this morning. Got kind of concerned when she said she only needed additional concentrated scans on the right side. I'm thinking, "What did they see??" She had to use the small compression paddle -- OMG that *HURT*!!!! Holy cow that seriously hurt... was very glad when it was over. Went for the U/S after that, and she was super nice. She showed me everything on the screen as she was doing it, and explained what she was looking for/at.

She said it was just a patch of really dense fibrous tissue, no worries. She told me that in perimenopause, the fibrous tissue gets replaced from the outside-in with fatty tissue, so the area right up front, so to speak, is the last to be dealt with by the body.

The doctor came in to give everything a quick look, and said that now that they have such an in-depth baseline to go by, I likely won't have to go through this next year. I hope she's right! She was amazingly wonderful and nice. And the BF and I are both very relieved now. :goodvibes

Thank you again for all your replies! :grouphug:

Was there bright-eyed and bushy-tailed (Not!!) at 8am this morning. Got kind of concerned when she said she only needed additional concentrated scans on the right side. I'm thinking, "What did they see??" She had to use the small compression paddle -- OMG that *HURT*!!!! Holy cow that seriously hurt... was very glad when it was over. Went for the U/S after that, and she was super nice. She showed me everything on the screen as she was doing it, and explained what she was looking for/at.

She said it was just a patch of really dense fibrous tissue, no worries. She told me that in perimenopause, the fibrous tissue gets replaced from the outside-in with fatty tissue, so the area right up front, so to speak, is the last to be dealt with by the body.

The doctor came in to give everything a quick look, and said that now that they have such an in-depth baseline to go by, I likely won't have to go through this next year. I hope she's right! She was amazingly wonderful and nice. And the BF and I are both very relieved now. :goodvibes

That is very good news. I'm happy for you. :yay:

Awesome news! :woohoo:

Gina, I know you are relieved! Now you can enjoy the holiday season without the added stress of testing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter