women in your 30s or older - clothing question

Minnie824

DIS Veteran
Do you wear clothing from Abercrombie, American Eagle, Aeropostale, etc? I love the AE jeans, and got a cute sweater from there, but then DD (who is in middle school) says someone at her school has the same sweater. Just wondering if other women wear these brands or if I'm too old to shop there now. :confused3

My DD has forbidden me from buying anything at Aeropostale. I told her I see people at work my age wearing hoodies from there but she wasn't having it.

Do you wear clothing from Abercrombie, American Eagle, Aeropostale, etc? I love the AE jeans, and got a cute sweater from there, but then DD (who is in middle school) says someone at her school has the same sweater. Just wondering if other women wear these brands or if I'm too old to shop there now. :confused3

I live in Aero skinny jeans. Women's clothing doesn't fit me. I am built like a teenager even though I am almost 37. :rotfl: Wear what looks good on you, and don't worry about labels. :thumbsup2

I'm 40, and I sometimes do. I don't get anything with the logo/label on it, but I wear the jeans, tanks and tees.

DW is 42 and wears some of those brands, gets all her jeans at Rue21 too. Looks damn fine in them if I may say so :thumbsup2

I do not shop at the same places as my DD17. I will say that once she was in Middle School, a pet peeve of her and her friends is moms who shop at teen stores. More than one brand has become uncool due to the "Levi's effect."

I'm surprised that adults would shop at Aeropostle or Abercrombie as around here those are stores for very young teens- middle schoolers.

Now we've apparently ruined Facebook for them. ;-)

http://www.dnaindia.com/scitech/report-teens-abandoning-facebook-due-to-levis-effect-1935426

I'm 40, and I sometimes do. I don't get anything with the logo/label on it, but I wear the jeans, tanks and tees.

Same here. Jeans are jeans and tops are tops.

It's easy to see what is there for the "younger set". They are typically into labels.

However! I am sooooo into the neon workout clothes and the bright Nike sweatshirts. I must have about four of them. :)

I try not to dress like a high schooler, but I really don't care. I like my style. :)

I'm way older, but don't shop at those stores.....but DD (31) does all the time.
Wear what you like and you feel good in.

Those exact brands, no. But ONLY because I'm curvy and they don't fit. But if they fit, I'd have no problem with it.

I wear plenty of brands from the Jr's departments.

Ann Taylor, J Jill, Coldwater Creek and Chico's is the stuff MY mom wears.

No. I have an Aero sweatshirt, but I don't leave the house in it.

DD12 and I were in a mall last weekend and I saw the Forever 21 had plus sizes now. I pointed that out (for me to wear) and DD said "Mom, that store is for teens, not old people, who are like, 40."

Ouch. :rotfl:

Those exact brands, no. But ONLY because I'm curvy and they don't fit. But if they fit, I'd have no problem with it.

I wear plenty of brands from the Jr's departments.

Ann Taylor, J Jill, Coldwater Creek and Chico's is the stuff MY mom wears.

:rotfl2:

My mom wears Aero skinny jeans. She's slender and 5'11", so she can pull the look off. She is almost 56. :goodvibes

I don't but if their jeans fit well I wouldn't rule them out just because of where they are from. I wouldn't seek them out though.

I'm 30 and I would never shop at Abercrombie, but I think AE is fine, and as others have said, jeans are jeans.

I have this cartoony owl sweater from Old Navy that is probably meant for someone half my age but every time I wear it I get tons of compliments. ;) Why CAN'T we have fun with our clothes past 30? I'm not ready for Coldwater Creek yet! I was born in the 80s, 'beige' doesn't exist to me! :lmao:

If it fits and they are on sale, you bet.

That being said I do not wear Aeropostale, Hollister, or Ambercrombie. I do wear American Eagle and Levi's though.

I would prefer Buckle but it is out of my price range, unless I shop at Plato's Closet (resale shop) and then I could care less what the brand is.;)

I'm surprised that adults would shop at Aeropostle or Abercrombie as around here those are stores for very young teens- middle schoolers.
Well, jeans are jeans. Shirts and sweaters tanks and tees are pretty much all the same. I'm a size four, so these clothes have a better fit for me than some of the "mom stores".

As I said, I don't wear the logo shirts, but you can't tell the difference between an American Eagle tee and a tee from The Loft.

Middle schoolers at the school where I teach all show up in Victoria Secret "PINK" clothes, and in my opinion, these are clothes for women, not girls. It's all relative.

For those that are in the 35-50 range, where *do* you shop?

Because I LOVE Coldwater Creek and have a lot of clothes from there, but it seems it is known in this thread as an old woman store. :guilty: I think they have classic, nice-looking modest clothes. :confused3

I'm not going to shop at the same places my kids (17 and 12) shop, so where do the rest of you shop?

For those that are in the 35-50 range, where *do* you shop?

Because I LOVE Coldwater Creek and have a lot of clothes from there, but it seems it is known in this thread as an old woman store. :guilty: I think they have classic, nice-looking modest clothes. :confused3

I'm not going to shop at the same places my kids (17 and 12) shop, so where do the rest of you shop?

My jeans only come from Aeropostale and the Disney Store. Dressier pants come Gap. Shirts mostly from Target and Old Navy/Gap, but every now and then I will find stuff I like at Sears or JCP. I only fit in juniors sizes in most stores, unless there is an extra small option in the normal women's area.

If you can fit in it and it looks good why on earth not?

Oh heck I'd be wearing stuff from those stores if I could get my chubby self into them! LOL

There are lot of really cute and nice things at those stores that aren't just for the teens!

Good for you OP!

Nope. I hate those stores but it has nothing to do with age. LOL. first of all your daughter hit the nail right on the head. Even when I was 30 I hated looking like everyone else. One of the reasons I hated living in the suburbs. Lets see in my neighborhood I have 3 major malls ALL of them have exactly the same 6 stores. Really, so I'm dressing like every high school kid in south Jersey? :lmao: How many Gaps and aeropostale do I need.

So my question is, it's not that your two old but why if you are 40 would you want to look like a High schooler?

In general I don't do malls. Now I do love Bloomings, nostroms and Lord and taylor. I love Dillards also but they are not on the east coast.

Next, I really don't think they are all that great quality wise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter