Women-please recommend a new bra

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I’m sick of uncomfortable, non supporting bras. I’m looking for something comfortable and supportive, but preferably no underwire. I’ve been getting ads for Thirdlove-how are they? Any other ones you might recommend?

Hi...have you ever had a professional bra-fitting? I find that to be the best way to get a good fitting bra. Yes, a bra is more expensive this way, but I will by one, before I get a few more online!

I have a couple of Thirdlove bras and just don’t wear them because they aren’t comfortable imo. I finally found several at Soma that I really like and wear regularly. Soma has several different styles, several are underwire free.

I recently bought a strapless bra from Wacoal at Macy’s. It was the most expensive bra I ever bought, but worth it! It was over $60. It’s so well-made, very comfortable, and doesn’t even compare to my other, cheaper bras. I wear it constantly, even when I’m not wearing strapless clothes. All of their different bras are top notch.

I shop at Soma. I'm an unusual size and they are one of the few brick and mortar stores that carry it. Also, as mentioned above, do yourself a solid and go to a good department store or Soma and have a professional fit you. I went to go buy a bra from Belk (like a Macy's) and I told the saleslady what I was looking for...a 40DD. She looked me up and down (a lovely little old lady she was) and said "honey, you are not a 40DD". I replied that I most certainly was and was wearing one right then. She insisted I go into the fitting room and be measured. She whipped out her tape, took some measurements and disappeared. A few minutes later she returned with an armload of bras in...wait for it...36G. I was SHOCKED at the difference! I had been wearing the wrong size for years!! The band should support most of the weight, not the straps. I have since lost weight and can often wear a 34G now.

I've been wearing Playtex 18 hours bras since I was 16.

Unfortunately not many of them come in my size, 34D. I’ve been wearing those a lot, but in 36C. Soma looks like a possibility. Thanks for the suggestions

I love the Chantelle brand. They are expensive and I get them at Nordstroms. but they are the best. The wire is well padded and does not bug me at all.

Unfortunately not many of them come in my size, 34D. I’ve been wearing those a lot, but in 36C. Soma looks like a possibility. Thanks for the suggestions

That's all I wear......they do come in your size. Most colors, but a lot are out of stock right now because they are on sale at onehanesplace........which is where I buy them

right now they have toffee, natural beige

I get it. At one point I was a 38 DDD, which was nearly impossible to find. And don’t get me started on only getting to pick between white or beige.

I love Thirdlove for the 1/2 bra sizes. Turns out I’m a perfect 36 B 1/2. I also like spanx bras because some close in front. And they tend to have wider straps and bands. The strapless spanx are really comfortable

I wish I had the answer...

I have a terrible time with this... I wear different sizes in different bras brands... I'm a 38DD... in most brands... in some a 40DD... as well I have a strapless that is a 40D... and well as a 38 DD and a T-back strap that is 38F... I am tall, and have a short torso... and more narrow in the body, at the same time I have wider shoulders, so this makes for a fun time finding something that will work for me....

Soma has some good fitting bras, in my experience they don't last at all and start to fall apart very quickly and at that price point not a value... Victoria S... I have several from there that are a nice fit - and seem to last longer, with that they are more of a bra for date night, or dressing up.... Maidenform is my everyday choice, and these last and wash and wear the best.... once I had a Soma that I was wearing... and the strap broke on the way to the airport, at 5am... so we stopped in at wal-mart and I ran in and bought a bra... a T-shirt bra...for like 15.00 bucks... thinking that it will work fine for what I needed at the moment and it did... I still have the bra... and its 5 years old... and it still looks great and is still holding up...8-)

I think that there really is no rhyme or reason to how they are made... plus all the different shapes its really just trial and error...

Good Luck...

Last edited:
If you are a D cup you will probably be more comfortable with the support that an underwire gives you. A properly fitted underwire won't dig in too much. I know a 34 band can be hard to find with a bigger cup (I've been there). Have you tried Lane Bryant? My breasts sit really high on my torso and for years I had problems with underwires poking and pinching me in my armpit, until I tried the demi bras from Lane Bryant. The wire is shorter in that style. I have fibrocystic breast tissue and the wires in Lane Bryant bras don't bother me at all. They are encased in a lot of padding.

I like Natori, which are pricey but worth it as most brands don't stock my size (32DD). I used to wear Soma, but their quality seems to have declined and for the price, they're not worth it. I usually get them at Nordstroms, but you can occasionally find them at Nordstrom Rack for 30% off. Their teeshirt bras are truly amazingly comfortable!

I like Natori, which are pricey but worth it as most brands don't stock my size (32DD). I used to wear Soma, but their quality seems to have declined and for the price, they're not worth it. I usually get them at Nordstroms, but you can occasionally find them at Nordstrom Rack for 30% off. Their teeshirt bras are truly amazingly comfortable!

I'm also a 32DD which is a frustrating size to find on the rack (add to that I'm only 5-ft tall, so need very adjustable straps!) - Victoria's Secret has started carrying it in the past couple of years, but I'm not a fan of their regular bras.... I used to really like their sport bras, but very disappointed in my last VS sport bra haul - they've cheapened the quality in the past year, for sure.

I buy my everyday bras from.... you're not going to believe it... Frederick's of Hollywood. They actually have a great full-coverage bra in 32DD - Hollywood Exxtreme Cleavage Full Figure Push-Up Bra... I just take out the removable push-up pads, and no more extreme cleavage! I get my strapless bras... the best ever strapless bras from Bravissimo - Panache Porcelain Elan Strapless Bra.

Personally, I don't really like anything claiming to be a "t-shirt bra" - I find that the elastic inserted required to get a seamless band squeezes my skin so tightly, creating backfat bulge that I don't have with a normal, non-t-shirt bra. I'd rather have a couple of seams across my back than bra bulge.

Cacique bras (Lane Bryant) get my vote.
I’m 36DD & prefer the full coverage underwire. I recently tried the wireless version & I’m not such a fan.
I did see an ad today for a new style by Soma & might give that a try soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter