Women's clothing rant and question

If I lose 10-15lbs, I can literally shop in my own closet! I have "many, many tee shirt style solid color shirts, etc that are all over 5 to 10 yrs old. Most look great because when you own that many and can't wear them all they stay looking nice.

Athleta has some cute pieces that are not all athletic inspired. Love Banana Republic Outlet (online). I have pieces from both that I have worn for years and still look so great!

I grew up in the South, and I still have Southern sensibilities about style and what is appropriate for what occasion. I seriously miss SteinMart, but I do have fairly good luck buying online from Dillards and Belk. (Dillards has a particularly generous petites selection for those of y'all who need that.)

Most of my stuff is from either LLBean or Land's End. I am retired so just need decent casual clothes . They are a bit pricier , but they last (the shorts I am wearing are a decade old). I used to have luck at Van Huesen outlet but they went the frilly route . The one store I have been that might also work is Boscov’s. They are an area department store in Eastern PA , South Jersey. I got a great dress there 2 years ago for DH's niece's wedding. Used it again this year for my cousin's daughter's wedding.

I’m 73. Size12~14. I try to wear flattering not too young but definitely not too old clothes. I dont want to look 73! I shop at Nordstrom, saks, Macy or online as long as easily returnable. I also like Chicos for some things. And I get stuff tailored if needed. I just had a cute shirt hemmed about 5 inches because I like shirts to hit at my hips. My swimsuits I get at lands end. I love color. I’ve found that ny&c has cute clothes that fit well especially pants as does Ann Taylor. For T shirts I like Marine layer. Good quality ,never shrink.

Yep! I’m 48 and I’m short. I’m a size 2 or 4. Any time I try on clothes in a store they look awful on me. I dress professionally for work and it is getting more difficult to find new clothes. I have some clothes that are older than my adult children that I still wear. The new stuff is poorly made and dresses are either WAY too long or way too short. Pants are a pain because I have to take them to be shortened.

ThredUp has been my latest "thing". I have spent way too much there in a short amount of time :rotfl2: BUT I seriously love what I have found.

For new stuff, I tend to shop Kohls, TjMaxx, Ross etc...

I buy swimwear and occasional coverup dress from Lands End. When I lived in Florida I shopped Chicos but it seems a bit flashy for northeast. I do have some black Travelers that I like. Have you noticed a steep decline in quality of Talbots?
I haven't noticed a steep decline, no.

(Dillards has a particularly generous petites selection for those of y'all who need that.)

I've just discovered Dillards! I've always wanted a pair of palazzo pants, and Dillards petites dept. had a pair and they fit like a dream. I don't know when/where I'll wear them just yet:rolleyes: of course!

I buy a lot at Athleta, and here and there from Banana Republic. I like comfortable, soft clothes, and you can find things that are work appropriate. For dressier clothes, I like DKNY and Calvin Klein from Macy's, although I agree that fabrics seem different than what used to be available.

Athleta has some cute pieces that are not all athletic inspired. Love Banana Republic Outlet (online). I have pieces from both that I have worn for years and still look so great!

I agree with you. I bought some Athleta Endless Cargo pants that I have warn to work a few times and I get so many compliments on them. I used to get a lot form Banana Republic Outlet, but this past year they seem to have veered away from what I would wear into the office and a lot of it is just too relaxed looking for what I need.

My work requires professional clothing, so I can find nice professional pieces at JCPenney, Macys, Ann Taylor, CHicos.

I don't mind the fast fashion styles. But I absolutely hate clothes shopping because I'm skinny. 5'5 and 100 lbs. My weight hasn't changed since I was 16, but my sizes sure have. I used to be a 4, then a 2. Then a 0. Now I'm a 00 apparently, which a lot of stores don't stock. Clothes shopping is always an exercise in frustration. Fortunately I work from home, so I tend to live in leggings and yoga pants. Women's clothing is just stupid.

I agree with many of the above posts. How many women really want cut-outs at the sides of their shirts or dresses? I'm 61, 5'11", size 4, so have always had a hard time finding quality clothing. Lots of places make tall clothing but they start at size 6 for pants and generally the pants are loose fit so they look absolutely ridiculous. Also, only-tall clothing manufacturers tend to make cheap looking stuff, lots of ruffles, loud colors, etc... I'm not one to show or draw attention to unflattering areas so that cuts down what I can buy as well. While a lot of us older women have money to spend, many don't and the cheap trendy clothes can be sold to most of the younger women out there.

As a 40 something SAHM, I shop at the following:

Costco (great for wardrobe basics)

Athleta (most of my pants/shorts are from here)

REI (I have a lot of "active" and "quick dry" clothes from here from North Face, and house brand)

Loft (t-shirts, mostly, but also nicer pants)

WHBM ("going out"/fancy clothes and dresses for special occasions)

Title Nine (swim, t shirts)

That's about it at this point.

I buy with the assumption that t shirts will last a year. Pants will last a couple years, and things like loungewear might make it a year or less, since I wear it frequently. I don't mind paying $12 for a pullover sweatshirt from Costco and throwing it away 6 months later when it's all pilled and rough looking. I don't mind fast fashion when it's cheap.

What I hate is expensive clothes that don't hold up, so I just won't pay a lot for clothes. I wait for sales and hardly pay full price for anything.

Ann Taylor, Chico's (they seem to be cutting the bust smaller) and Dillards. I'm not a t-shirt girl unless it's Disney and then only around the house. I've worked in finance 30+ years and have become most comfortable in trousers and a blouse. I'm a weirdo.

I have had hit or miss luck at Marshalls, TJMaxx, Nordstrom (online), and Nordstrom Rack but most of my clothes come from the online retailer, eshakti. They have a wide selection, will customize items (change the length, sleeve, neckline), and the quality has been excellent. I purchased my first made to my size items in 2017, wear those dresses, tops, and skirts regularly, and they looked like new on our recent WDW vacation.
Thanks for the mention of eshakti! I just spent a half hour browsing and the dresses are gorgeous. Is the quality good?

Ann Taylor, Chico's (they seem to be cutting the bust smaller) and Dillards. I'm not a t-shirt girl unless it's Disney and then only around the house. I've worked in finance 30+ years and have become most comfortable in trousers and a blouse. I'm a weirdo.

No you're not a weirdo. That's about what I'm down with these days. I just ordered this dress from Nordstrom. Kind of overall my style in the office when I'm wearing something more than pants. Incredibly hard to find something like these. I want sleeves without always having to throw a sweater on. I don't want flowers, I don't want ruffles. I hope it fits.

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/side-kn..._term=708757&utm_content=20230805_productimg1

No you're not a weirdo. That's about what I'm down with these days. I just ordered this dress from Nordstrom. Kind of overall my style in the office when I'm wearing something more than pants. Incredibly hard to find something like these. I want sleeves without always having to throw a sweater on. I don't want flowers, I don't want ruffles. I hope it fits.

https://www.nordstrom.com/s/side-kn..._term=708757&utm_content=20230805_productimg1
That dress is cute! I like the vertical (not horizontal) stripes. My only concern would be how that overlap works on skirt. Is it sewed together and just a big pleat or is it going to gap wide open when sitting. Would love to hear after you receive. Doesn't appear to come in petite so would come to my ankles!

That dress is cute! I like the vertical (not horizontal) stripes. My only concern would be how that overlap works on skirt. Is it sewed together and just a big pleat or is it going to gap wide open when sitting. Would love to hear after you receive. Doesn't appear to come in petite so would come to my ankles!
Yeah I'll report back. Looks like it's arriving on Monday. I'm 5'7". Not tall, not short, but most things just don't hit me correctly in the length so I'm always looking for things that are long, somewhat tailored/structured so that I get coverage. I find most stores cater to 5'5" perfectly so it's struggle. Rarely can I buy anything at Chico's for that reason.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter