Women's clothing rant and question

I’m having great luck with Chico’s.
I agree with some comments related to Talbot’s quality going down.

There is a women’s independent clothing shop where we used to live, and I probably get there a couple of times a year. (They have the jeans I like, plus a brand of sweaters I really like!)

Totally agree with Travel60….I’ve saved so much money the past years because I dislike the styles on me. I’m even older 70’s and 5’3 / size 8 and walk out of dressing rooms disgusted. I do not want clothes way above my knee or sleeveless and definitely ruafflelessness (is that a word?).

When I worked, Talbots always came through for me and definitely had a closet filled with Dress Barn. (So reasonable and easy to always walk out with something). Miss that store tremendously.

I know I’m old but even Chicos on me look matronly with the very long tops, which make me look shorter.

My 2 daughters (40-50) are big Boden shoppers.
I tried but found the dresses shorter than I like.
Quality is excellent and definitely not cheap and to run small. Daughters rave about their customer service.

My complaint - I lost 50+ lbs since 2020, but it was everywhere BUT my chest. So, shirts that fit my chest are HUGE in everywhere else. And, I have thin legs, with still a little chunk around my waist. So anything that fits my waist, my legs swim in. I cannot find anything that cuts for people who aren't "all big" or "all thin". I found a shirt I like for work, so bought it in the TWO colors they had, and, since I only go into the office 2x a week, one day I wear the blue shirt and one day I wear the purple.

Thankfully, hoodie season is coming, and I have PLENTY of those, ha! 2 pairs of jeans that fit my body well (Old Navy) and my plethora of hoodies will get me to May.

For work clothes, I've been getting stuff from Nordstrom Rack, online store and returning what doesn't work to the brick & mortar store that's about 20 miles away. I used to get great pants suits (and skirt suits) from Banana Republic but since COVID, their selection has gone downhill... for the longest time, they were only having casual-type clothes.

I also have a few dress suits from JC Penney's and Macy's.

I'm going to start looking at Ann Taylor and White House Black Market soon.

For casual clothes, I go with GAP or Old Navy. And, of course, Shop Disney for the t-shirts :D

Ladies, Is anyone else as disgusted as I am with the selection of ladies clothing in stores?

For background, I'm a size 6-8 petite/misses. I'm past the point of "letting it all hang out" because.... well, things aren't hanging where they used to. But for those younger (or fitter) than I am, go for it. So this question is really for the 40s and up crowd.

It seems most of the department stores cater to teens/20s as do most of the specialty stores in the mall. A lot of poorly-made, flashy or trendy stuff to wear a few times then toss. And much too baring for most adults. It's called fast fashion.

This sort of snuck up on me because for 30 years I've shopped almost exclusively at my "classic" ladies store (you know the brand). I bought well-made, tailored clothing for work and play. Suits, pants, tops, dresses. But, over the last couple of years they, too, seem to have adopted the fast fashion model. Thin, easily wrinkled fabric, loud prints, odd colors, ruffles on top of ruffles, etc. So, I've been looking for new places to shop. I may go back to making my own or find a tailor to do so.

Am I just getting old and grumpy or are others having the same issue? Where do you shop?
Quality in general seems to have gone down. I mostly shop at Talbots or J.Jill. I feel like I look put together without skin showing that no one wants to see!

I agree with your post, it can be really difficult to find clothing. I'm also only 5'0" tall - which doesn't help me in my search!

You asked where people are shopping for clothing? I've been having better luck with Orvis, WHBM, Talbots and Chicos. Sometimes Lands End. I enjoy a good turn thru Marshalls now & again, but most times I don't end up buying anything there.
I’m 5’3 so now I buy ankle pants and don’t need to hem them. I just wear as regular length jeans!

I have terrible issues with clothes, 5’ 3” and bottom heavy, almost 40…the past few years it’s become almost impossible to find decent clothes.

I honestly do most of my shopping at community aide and when I do buy new clothes I buy from Lauriebelles, which is an online boutique but they have a great return policy. I would not wear 70% of their clothing but 30% is nice fitting and everything I have gotten from there is soft and high quality.
Ooh never heard of this one.

:wave:mid-30s and I don't like the cut outs especially the back and side ones like hello still need to wear a bra and all. Many dresses seem to be cut out ones.

So it's not necessarily an age thing. I think a lot is what they perceive people to be comfortable in. I don't need to be uber conservative but neither do I feel like I can make all the cut outs work.

To make a clarification fast fashion is Shein and Fashion Nova in general. Normal trends shouldn't be confused with fast fashion not only because there are moral issues but because of the definition. Fast Fashion is usually mass produced but limited quantity designed to be quickly replaced by something else. What you're seeing in stores is normal trends combined with just the decline in quality.

I remember posting about this subject years ago, when I started noticing clothing being sold for women was starting to become really crap quality. I think I first noticed it at Disney (while prices went up), and then elsewhere, like Kohl’s, which I don’t even go in anymore. I’ve had pretty good luck online with some classics (LLBean, Lands’ End) as well as some catalog stores (Coldwater Creek and others I can’t think of the names of right now, etc.). I’ve also ordered from Amazon with pretty good luck (I like their jeans), and returns are super easy (drop off at UPS store unwrapped). I can usually find a few things at T.J. Maxx.

I haven’t seen anyone else mention this but we have some high end consignment shops around that are fun to look through, too. On occasion I’ve found some nice things there.

But fortunately, like some others, I mostly wear scrubs to work (which last forever scratchin: ), and keep it pretty casual outside of work. I’ve recently ordered some dresses online for some events I’ve had this year and upcoming, and I actually liked and kept every one I bought. Locally we have a store called Frugal Fannies which is a big warehouse that has a lot of nice things. It would be hard to come out of there not finding anything. I found a dress there recently, too, and some underwear, finally, as my usual brand had changed (for the worse) and I was having trouble for several years finding something I was comfortable in (that didn’t drive me crazy). I’ve started to even venture out from my usual bra brand with an online product that DD had first gotten, and I needed two in colors (black and pink) that shockingly fit well, from Amazon. I have also had really good luck getting shoes from Amazon, especially sandals. I recently bought a long denim coat online and I can’t wait to wear it in the fall!

Now if I could just clean out my drawers and closets I’d be all set! 😂

Someone upthread used the term matronly. That is the one thing I try to avoid. I don’t know about anyone else, but even though I’ve somehow gotten older, I still enjoy some of the styles I always wore - and those were casual but stylish, I guess. I definitely don’t want to dress like my grandmother even though the clock is ticking. It’s too bad it’s become so challenging to find things we like, but online shopping, for me, anyway, has made that chore a little easier. Good luck, everyone!

Ladies, Is anyone else as disgusted as I am with the selection of ladies clothing in stores?

For background, I'm a size 6-8 petite/misses. I'm past the point of "letting it all hang out" because.... well, things aren't hanging where they used to. But for those younger (or fitter) than I am, go for it. So this question is really for the 40s and up crowd.

It seems most of the department stores cater to teens/20s as do most of the specialty stores in the mall. A lot of poorly-made, flashy or trendy stuff to wear a few times then toss. And much too baring for most adults. It's called fast fashion.

This sort of snuck up on me because for 30 years I've shopped almost exclusively at my "classic" ladies store (you know the brand). I bought well-made, tailored clothing for work and play. Suits, pants, tops, dresses. But, over the last couple of years they, too, seem to have adopted the fast fashion model. Thin, easily wrinkled fabric, loud prints, odd colors, ruffles on top of ruffles, etc. So, I've been looking for new places to shop. I may go back to making my own or find a tailor to do so.

Am I just getting old and grumpy or are others having the same issue? Where do you shop?
No you are not getting old or grumpy, LOL. I am older than you and am stuck between the teen clothes you mentioned and the "elderly" look (or frumpy). I am sticking to well fitting jeans and loose tops (mostly long sleeved Tshirts). But it is very difficult to find a dress that doesn't look like Little House on the Prairie or too young with frills and ruffles.
My favorite department store where I bought good name brand clothes has gone the way of a lot of department stores. It closed several years ago and I don't know why? It was always busy and had quality items.
I can buy online, but I like to actually try on clothes and also feel the fabric and fit. Hope you find something that you like.

I remember posting about this subject years ago, when I started noticing clothing being sold for women was starting to become really crap quality. I think I first noticed it at Disney (while prices went up), and then elsewhere, like Kohl’s, which I don’t even go in anymore. I’ve had pretty good luck online with some classics (LLBean, Lands’ End) as well as some catalog stores (Coldwater Creek and others I can’t think of the names of right now, etc.). I’ve also ordered from Amazon with pretty good luck (I like their jeans), and returns are super easy (drop off at UPS store unwrapped). I can usually find a few things at T.J. Maxx.

I haven’t seen anyone else mention this but we have some high end consignment shops around that are fun to look through, too. On occasion I’ve found some nice things there.

But fortunately, like some others, I mostly wear scrubs to work (which last forever scratchin: ), and keep it pretty casual outside of work. I’ve recently ordered some dresses online for some events I’ve had this year and upcoming, and I actually liked and kept every one I bought. Locally we have a store called Frugal Fannies which is a big warehouse that has a lot of nice things. It would be hard to come out of there not finding anything. I found a dress there recently, too, and some underwear, finally, as my usual brand had changed (for the worse) and I was having trouble for several years finding something I was comfortable in (that didn’t drive me crazy). I’ve started to even venture out from my usual bra brand with an online product that DD had first gotten, and I needed two in colors (black and pink) that shockingly fit well, from Amazon. I have also had really good luck getting shoes from Amazon, especially sandals. I recently bought a long denim coat online and I can’t wait to wear it in the fall!

Now if I could just clean out my drawers and closets I’d be all set! 😂

Someone upthread used the term matronly. That is the one thing I try to avoid. I don’t know about anyone else, but even though I’ve somehow gotten older, I still enjoy some of the styles I always wore - and those were casual but stylish, I guess. I definitely don’t want to dress like my grandmother even though the clock is ticking. It’s too bad it’s become so challenging to find things we like, but online shopping, for me, anyway, has made that chore a little easier. Good luck, everyone!

Wow, Frugal Fannies (or is it Frannie?). We used to have one here in Virginia in the late 80s/early 90s. Only open on the weekend and was a warehouse. Always came out with something. They've been gone a LONG time but I'd love to get to a place like that again!

I have boobs. Yes. I am "full -figured" if I find something that fits across my chest, the seam for the sleeve is at my elbow! Plus size shops are just silly. They think everyone is 6' and small chested. I don't get it. I just want tops that fit! Believe it or not Hanes has "just my size" tops and those are actually cut correctly! So I wear a lot of tee-shirts. Jeans are a nightmare for anyone. But I found Nordstrom carries some in lengths so I don't have to hem everything. I go to Chicos for some "nicer" tops. But honestly I don't go in to work anymore, so a nice wardrobe isn't necessary. The occasional formal event gives me hives. Trying to find my mother-of-bride dress was just horrible. The choices are too sexy, too frumpy... no balance.

I'm in my 30s and I agree with you. Athleisure is not appropriate for work. Crop tops and cheek baring shorts are not appropriate for work.

I had to unexpectedly shop for a funeral in the fall of 2021. Even Banana Republic barely had anything funeral appropriate.

I will say that I finally, this week, was able to find some new work clothes at the Loft outlet. I had good luck at the Loft pre-pandemic but the last couple years they haven't been great either. But this week was solid. I'm hoping that means companies are starting to realize that some of us did thankfully return to working outside the house, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks for the mention of eshakti! I just spent a half hour browsing and the dresses are gorgeous. Is the quality good?
I have found the overall quality to be very good - side zippers, set-in pockets, finished seams, even those little "belts" for your bra strap. The fabrics have also been nice and the items I've customized turn out just as I had hoped including my most recent purchase where I had fabric they used for a pair of pants used for my skirt.

I'm not gentle with my clothing and wear eshakti tunics (they have pockets!), casual dresses and skirts most days to work, to garden, to vacation, etc. After 6 years of year-round wear I am still wearing the chambray dress, jersey dress, and poplin skirt that were my first purchase. They also offer deals all the time and the customer service has been great. I had one hiccup with a delayed delivery but the dress still arrived in time for the wedding we were attending and I received a very generous apology discount code.

So agree. I'm a law student and need suits to wear into the "office." I'm also really busty and it is impossible to find suit jackets that fit properly. Men can have suits made to their measurements online for $250 but for women, forget it. I sew and need to invest in a suit making class so that I'll have what I need, if only I had the time.

I'm in my 30s and I agree with you. Athleisure is not appropriate for work. Crop tops and cheek baring shorts are not appropriate for work.

I had to unexpectedly shop for a funeral in the fall of 2021. Even Banana Republic barely had anything funeral appropriate.

I will say that I finally, this week, was able to find some new work clothes at the Loft outlet. I had good luck at the Loft pre-pandemic but the last couple years they haven't been great either. But this week was solid. I'm hoping that means companies are starting to realize that some of us did thankfully return to working outside the house, but I'm not holding my breath.
The amount of underwear I saw as outerwear this last trip! I've given up even trying to think about how my granny is rolling over in her grave at a bra strap showing.

So agree. I'm a law student and need suits to wear into the "office." I'm also really busty and it is impossible to find suit jackets that fit properly. Men can have suits made to their measurements online for $250 but for women, forget it. I sew and need to invest in a suit making class so that I'll have what I need, if only I had the time.
Made to measure, no, but tailored? Pretty easy to find. I've used DH's tailor several times when I was too busy to alter jackets myself. (Without the specialty blindstitch machines that tailor's have, many alterations on full suits require an unpleasant amount of hand-sewing.) Just buy to fit your largest measurement and have a tailor alter the other proportions. Even though their target clientele is men, they can handle altering a woman's jacket.

And why aren't they cutting button up shirts to be ample room for the chest? I have to get up to 2 sizes bigger just to not have the button look like it's hanging on for dear life!
My wife is large chested and has this exact problem as well.

She works from home now but in the past has had success at Nordstrom, Lululemon, LL Bean, and Macy's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter