Wonder Down Under

I ran into some people that did the repositioning cruise to Australia. They said it was their best DCL cruise of the 9. Seas a bit rough but how they described it sounded to me like how the Caribbean can be sometimes if you are unlucky. He was wearing the spirit jersey. I am so going to spend too much money on stupid things I don’t need.

I am so excited to finally get on a Disney ship. And this trip has opened my eyes to the world of Disney possibilities outside of the American theme parks. Already thinking of a Japanese adventure in 2025. Maybe by then Disney will do some cruises out of Japanese ports for a few months a year.

The area of sea that gets rough going in/out of Tasmania is the Bass Strait which is commonly known to get rocky, and to my understanding how rough it gets depends on the weather. I've had family members cruise to Hobart before and they didn't have rough seas, so it's luck of the draw!
Nov Dec or Jan....is it still rough? This is the 1st I am hearing about rough seas and DH and one
of my kids are prone to sea sickness. Thx!

Nov Dec or Jan....is it still rough? This is the 1st I am hearing about rough seas and DH and one
of my kids are prone to sea sickness. Thx!
The summer months Dec-Feb are supposedly the better/recommended times to cruise through there, though it can be unpredictable if the weather takes a turn, so it’s best to be prepared 😅

We just got off the cruise from Melbourne to Hobart today. Weather was great, quite smooth and warm enough (just) to swim most of the time. Deck parties / fireworks were cold but they were handing out blankets. It was a great cruise with so many activities. Character lines were around an hour (a bit less if you lined up 30 mins or more prior to start time).

Odd question - I’m 99% sure they don’t, but do DCL supply bubble bath as part of the included toiletries?

Odd question - I’m 99% sure they don’t, but do DCL supply bubble bath as part of the included toiletries?
No but the shower gel is in a large pump action bottle on the shelf in the bath tub / shower. I have used it as bubble bath. Word of warning though, the tubs are tiny. Im just under 5 feet and I found them tight. I use the tub mainly for a foot soak, not a proper bath. Ive had an inside standard stateroom which does not have the split bathrooms, so maybe the tubs in other rooms are larger.

We just got off the cruise from Melbourne to Hobart today. Weather was great, quite smooth and warm enough (just) to swim most of the time. Deck parties / fireworks were cold but they were handing out blankets. It was a great cruise with so many activities. Character lines were around an hour (a bit less if you lined up 30 mins or more prior to start time).
Did you find the seas rough? We are thinking about going next Nov or early December? Thx

I'm sorry to hear your dining experience was not up to the usual DCL standard for food allergies, and outright shocked they wouldn't let you meet with the dining changes team. Glad you enjoyed Palo and got a good meal there !

We sailed the Wonder for its final Alaska cruise this year and also had some issues allergy-wise, so I wonder if there is a growing problem with the protocols/system on the ship. The biggest was although I was allowed to pre-order (multiple food allergies), they would not let my sister pre-order (since she "only" is allergic to fish and shellfish). This caused a number of issues during the cruise, and it very much seemed like they did not take her allergy as seriously as mine. We also found we had much fewer options than on our previous 8 cruises - e.g. soups that we could previously have they said they could not make safe this time, no sauces, and some other things.

FWIW, we met with the dining changes team to confirm our allergies info was correct, but for the Alaska cruise and our previous cruise they had us pre-order our dinner for that night with our lunch serving team in the lunch MDR.

Looking forward to the rest your trip report !

On the final day? We were the last ones off the ship, but we didn't have to go through security to exit the ship or port. Once they scanned us off, we left the ship, walked through the Port and collected our bags.

I guess it might be different because I am on an international cruise. Ship is leaving Australia and so is everyone on there. So was wondering if we all have to get scanned out of the country and if so is there the machines to scan out or will we have to actually talk to a human. I just got here and went through customs without talking to a single person. Didn’t get a passport stamp though which makes me sad.

Passport stamps are becoming quite rare. Everyone's moving toward electronic scanners and kiosks and pre-arrival authorizations. :(

I got one for NZ because I had to talk to a human. I noticed the US doesn’t do them anymore either. I loved have all my Disney stamps in my passport. It was fun to look at the dates and remember the trips.

I ran into some people that did the repositioning cruise to Australia. They said it was their best DCL cruise of the 9. Seas a bit rough but how they described it sounded to me like how the Caribbean can be sometimes if you are unlucky. He was wearing the spirit jersey. I am so going to spend too much money on stupid things I don’t need.

I am so excited to finally get on a Disney ship. And this trip has opened my eyes to the world of Disney possibilities outside of the American theme parks. Already thinking of a Japanese adventure in 2025. Maybe by then Disney will do some cruises out of Japanese ports for a few months a year.
We are so excited to do Japan next summer - land trips to Tokyo and Shanghai DL plus a 12-nighter on Celebrity.

Not a fan of long itineraries full of sea days on the classic ships. The lack of food options eventually get you. But, still would love to pair a X-Pacific crossing on, say, Celebrity or RCL with a cruise on the Wonder out of Sydney or out of Honolulu.

I am slightly worried about not having a decent secondary option for dinner if the main dining room is not appealing. But I’m sure it will be fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter