• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wonder refurbishment?

Last I saw about the Panama Canal upgrade was there were some 'major' issues with the construction of one of the locks and water leaking through the concert. The official word is still 4/2016 for opening but from the stories I've seen on the net makes it sound like that would slip again.

So I wonder how much lead time DCL would need to know for sure the status of the canal is to say yes/no to any duck tail and other structural changes to the Wonder?

Does anyone know if they raised the beds on the Wonder?
We went on the Magic just before dry dock and then 1 month after and the raised the beds so you could stow your suitcases under them and it made a huge difference in space.

Does anyone know if they raised the beds on the Wonder?
We went on the Magic just before dry dock and then 1 month after and the raised the beds so you could stow your suitcases under them and it made a huge difference in space.
Yes they have the new beds.

That's good! my wife and daughter just got really big suitcases anticipating the amount of clothes needed for the mixed climate in Alaska and I was worried they would take the entire closet.

Last I saw about the Panama Canal upgrade was there were some 'major' issues with the construction of one of the locks and water leaking through the concert. The official word is still 4/2016 for opening but from the stories I've seen on the net makes it sound like that would slip again.

So I wonder how much lead time DCL would need to know for sure the status of the canal is to say yes/no to any duck tail and other structural changes to the Wonder?
That 4/16 date could slip by a full year. If Wonder gets the duck tail it won't need the larger locks until May 2017. I really think they'll make it by then.

That 4/16 date could slip by a full year. If Wonder gets the duck tail it won't need the larger locks until May 2017. I really think they'll make it by then.

I just looked and according to the official site, they are saying that the locks wont be open until the 2nd qtr of 2016. April might be testing of the locks. The same site also says that the contractor downplays all of the delays only to go back on them so we should hear something in the very near future as this was updated just before Christmas.

As far as lead time, it would prob be about a month before the ship heads to drydock. Or how ever long it takes to acquire the steel for the duck tail. The slides and support areas and anything that would add too much weight on the ship, can be stored in Fl until needed. However, once the steel is bought and ducktail started, DCL gets to use it or lose it.

I just looked and according to the official site, they are saying that the locks wont be open until the 2nd qtr of 2016. April might be testing of the locks. The same site also says that the contractor downplays all of the delays only to go back on them so we should hear something in the very near future as this was updated just before Christmas.

As far as lead time, it would prob be about a month before the ship heads to drydock. Or how ever long it takes to acquire the steel for the duck tail. The slides and support areas and anything that would add too much weight on the ship, can be stored in Fl until needed. However, once the steel is bought and ducktail started, DCL gets to use it or lose it.

I had also read there were delays due to the switchover in a new government administration who was slow to pay the bills. Construction of anything will *always* have delays. Always. ((Husband and all his family are in engineering & work with multi-billion dollar projects.)) I think some testing of locks has already been done and there were issues. I'm sure much more testing & trouble-shooting still to come. There's no way to know for sure exactly how long beyond this spring this will extent. I would think a full year is a solid buffer to allow. With a spring 2017 actual completion the fall 2016 dry dock is still okay. Definitely a big gamble for Disney. With the steel and other things that have to be ordered and pre-fabbed, it only multiplies the stakes in the game. Tough call. Keeping my eye on it. I'll be personally looking to have a firm yay or nay on the drydock this fall by August. I'm booked on the first sailing post-(assumed)-drydock for the purpose of seeing her freshly reimagined. If no drydock I'm 99% sure I'll be cancelling the booking, maybe moving to a better itinerary. ;)

I have been told (no guarantees, nor could I find anything in writing), that the PC canal does permit a one time oversized transit of the original locks. It requires addition mules, labor and is a slow and careful process. Not to mention very expensive! The Wonder/ Magic with the duck tails are said to be within the length requirement to be approved for this 1 time transit waver.

AKK

I have been told (no guarantees, nor could I find anything in writing), that the PC canal does permit a one time oversized transit of the original locks. It requires addition mules, labor and is a slow and careful process. Not to mention very expensive! The Wonder/ Magic with the duck tails are said to be within the length requirement to be approved for this 1 time transit waver.

AKK

Is it one-way only so she'd be stuck on the West Coast until the new locks are done or have to go around the Horn? That would be a long and very memorable cruise I think. Really test folks sea legs.

Is it one-way only so she'd be stuck on the West Coast until the new locks are done or have to go around the Horn? That would be a long and very memorable cruise I think. Really test folks sea legs.

Agreed!.... Sweet Pea was saying she would love that trip!.....AKK

The Horn? (What is it?)

The *Horn* is *Cape Horn*. The southern most part of South America*. It is well known for high swells/Seas and stormy weather. Makes for a very uncomfortable trip, not to mention many a sailing ship has been sunk trying to*round the horn*.

Now there is a inland passage, something like the inland passage on the Alaskan cruises, however I am pretty sure of the passage is big and deep enough for the Wonder to navigate it, which would make a much better voyage.

Cape Horn

Cape Horn, named after the city of Hoorn in the Netherlands, is the southernmost headland of the Tierra del Fuego archipelago of southern Chile, and is located on the small Hornos Island. …

How many weeks would it take to sail the Wonder round the Horn from San Diego to Miami? Just curious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter