• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wondering if WDW will open before Shanghai Disney?

disneygrandma

Mickey Fan
Shanghai Disney Resort's website still says they are closed, but will plan to start reopening in stages on March 9th. That was over a month ago. It doesn't appear that anything has actually happened, and they closed in January. So how do you think the opening of WDW will compare?

We have FP's for all of the Tier One attractions starting on May 25th. If there's any chance of the parks being open, we want to keep the FP's. If we reschedule for June, we probably won't get such great FP's again. Should we get pumped up because the FL beaches are opening up?

Shanghai Disney Resort's website still says they are closed, but will plan to start reopening in stages on March 9th. That was over a month ago. It doesn't appear that anything has actually happened, and they closed in January. So how do you think the opening of WDW will compare?

We have FP's for all of the Tier One attractions starting on May 25th. If there's any chance of the parks being open, we want to keep the FP's. If we reschedule for June, we probably won't get such great FP's again. Should we get pumped up because the FL beaches are opening up?
So much at play. Shanghai Disney is not completely owned by Disney, for one.

I think my only real piece of advice would that if/when your May trip is canceled, don’t book for June. Try to book for over 60 days out so you can try to get those fast passes again since you seem to treasure those. And understand that even that trip might not be set in stone, and be as patient as possible.

I typed out a much longer response, but didn’t want to start an argument about my thoughts on the matter. Hope things workout and you can get on all the rides you want.

I believe that SDR's version of Downtown Disney reopened a while ago. Haven't heard how much is open, but they at least started. Stores are much easier to re-open and maintain social distancing and such than theme parks are.

RE FL beaches, the FL governor was slow to close things, so not surprised he is being quick to reopen. WDW & DLR are going to be much more cautious I think. They don't to take a PR hit if they become an outbreak hotspot. In addition, the theme parks need alot more guests to justify being open. Beaches take what, a handful of lifeguards (if they even open with lifeguards) or they can simply drop the ropes and say swim at your own risk. WDW needs CMs all over the place, and if only 1,000 people show up (people being more cautious than the governor, or even just unable to get there with flights cancelled), they won't be able to cover costs.

FWIW...it's the mayors opening the beaches and the schools will continue to be remote teaching. Based on the reports, WDW will not open until after June 1. The next big thing is hurricane season....fun times. :worried:

I don't see the parks opening in May. As a previous poster suggested, book for at least 60 days out so you are able to try for the best fastpasses again! I'm sorry about this trip, I know it's frustrating when you have everything lined up for a trip the way you want it then it doesn't happen. We have a trip still booked for last few days of May and into June. We haven't cancelled yet, but I am thinking Disney will cancel the may portion at least. Wishing you lots of magical memories when you do go, and luck with fastpass selections!

Thanks for the quick replies. Unfortunately, we won't be able to go any later than June due to school/work schedules for rest of the family.

I haven't been able to find any info on the "Downtown Disney" at the Shanghai Resort to see what and how much has opened. Also wondering if Disney Springs will open before the parks, and how much ahead of the parks. 1 week? 2 weeks? Trying to gauge what kind of notice we'll have for when the parks will be opening up.

Nobody knows. And I would never compare how China is re-opening businesses to how local FL authorities will open businesses in that state. Keep in mind, China is using a phone app to trace all of their citizens and gives them a color code depending on their health status - green, yellow, red. Plus, Disney is not a majority owner in Shanghai Disney (a Chinese state-controlled company is the majority owner) I don't mean to be a downer, but I think comparing how Shanghai will open and how WDW will open is comparing apples to oranges.

Thanks for the quick replies. Unfortunately, we won't be able to go any later than June due to school/work schedules for rest of the family.

I haven't been able to find any info on the "Downtown Disney" at the Shanghai Resort to see what and how much has opened. Also wondering if Disney Springs will open before the parks, and how much ahead of the parks. 1 week? 2 weeks? Trying to gauge what kind of notice we'll have for when the parks will be opening up.
Well, since you can’t go any later than June 2020... if you want those fast passes and actually be as close to 100% sure as possible that you’re trip will happen, maybe try May 2021? Or just try for June, and if that doesn’t work out, go ahead for May 2021.

I know some people claim their trip is “ruined” if they don’t get the fast passes they want. I’m not saying that’s your position, but if you want the best shot at getting your fast passes, might as well choose May 2021 in your circumstance.

Until Disney makes an official announcement, everything is speculation. I also have a trip planned the first week of a June. I’m just waiting for Disney to make official announcements before I change or move anything. There’s too many variables in play. Even if they are open, I may still reschedule under certain conditions. Just taking it day by day, watching for official word from Disney and trying not to get bogged down in all the rumor and speculation threads.

I said this in another thread, but I think it fits here too - WDW will open up sooner rather than later because they have to. If they're losing an estimated $30 million per day as I read the other day, they almost have no choice - its simply not sustainable as a business plan. The sooner they open, the sooner they can re-hire help, get visitors, and get back to normality. Not just for them, but for the state of Florida as well, as Florida depends almost solely on tourism to survive.

I suspect they will open up in June - perhaps with targeted lower attendance at hotels and parks as they slowly rebuild their employment structure - and then sometime around the 4th of July be up and running 100%. Gotta remember that June 1 is still 6 weeks away...to be brutally honest, if things in this country aren't up and running by then, we'll have a completely collapsed economy, so whether WDW is up and running will be a moot point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter