Wonka: The Best Movie Ever?

RoseColored97

DIS Veteran
I wasn't sure about the recent Wonka movie, the trailers for it were not that appealing so I was indifferent about seeing it. Let me tell you - that was one of the best movies I have ever seen, and we've seen a lot of movies. The visuals, the acting, the storyline - all were fantastic. The only theater I have been in where half of the people clapped once the credits rolled (I was not one of them, I won't go that far lol)

Anyone else seen it?

I saw it when it opened. I liked it, but I thought it might be slow paced for some. I figured younger kids would like it. I thought a problem group may be middle kids through young adults. I'm in the older adult category.

We saw it yesterday. It was better than many, but I would not say "the best movie ever".

ETA: No one clapped at the end of our showing.
It reminded me of at the end of a flight when sometimes people start clapping (who are you clapping for? the pilot? lol). It made me laugh, but I silently agreed because I liked it so much.

It reminded me of at the end of a flight when sometimes people start clapping (who are you clapping for? the pilot? lol). It made me laugh, but I silently agreed because I liked it so much.
When I saw WISH, people in our theater clapped.

I think it is a bad movie and I am actively discouraging people to go and see it in the theaters. If you want to see it, wait till it is on a streaming service.

The songs are not very good and can be scrapped without a problem, only one sort of moves the plot forward. It stops the action.

It doesn't really work as a prequel to the Gene Wilder movie, so no need to stick to those esthetics.

The entire movie could be more interesting if the kartel made sense. How much more interesting would it be if the kartel said to Wonka "You make amazing chocolate, let's work together and make even more money". And him then discovering there is more to chocolate than making money.

You would think it is about Wonka becoming a chocolatier, but he is already one from the start of the movie. That would make a more interesting prequel, I think.

Putting someone in a fatsuit to make jokes about being fat? Yeah... we shouldn't do that anymore.

Everything in the washing company, too much Oliver Twist / Annie (Jim Carter in very cringy scenes). The opening is very Sweeney Todd and the whole book switch... The Producers. So, no points for originality.

Totally get that Hugh Grant is not afraid to admit he only did it for the money, because it is a badly written part, only to move forward the plot. Deus ex machina and not very subtle. The best reason to take this part is for the money. Either give the oompa loompas a good backstory, or leave them out.

If you love the Gene Wilder movie and want to keep this image of Wonka: do not go see it. Timothy Chalemet does a good job with what he was given, but in my mind, he's not Wonka.

I am definitely interested in seeing it.

I was a lot older...like 30-something before I saw the original. I enjoyed the original a lot. I could see how it would terrify children though.

I also saw that Johnny Depp version... that was less than impressive.

I respect your opinion but don't understand why anyone would spend the time and energy to actively discourage people from seeing a movie.
To save my friends & family time, energy and money. I know their taste in movies and storytelling. If I can save them 15-20 euro p/p, plus about 3 hours (incl travel time, pre-time) they never get back, I will do that.

It costs me less than 2 minutes to explain, so not a lot of time & energy on my part.

eh, I disagree with most of what @Karin1984 wrote. First, I wouldn't discourage anyone from seeing this movie. No, not everyone is going to like or enjoy it, but that's the same with any movie.

The songs didn't bother me, some were a little catchy.

The movie shows how Wonka got started in SELLING chocolate. The origination of the store and the factory. Oompa Loompas are such a big part of the original, you almost HAVE to include them. But, I don't think the backstory included in Wonka matches the backstory from The Chocolate Factory. I could be wrong though.

Haven't seen but was just now reading a list of the our local paper's Top 20 worst movies for the year and that one made the list.

I think it is a bad movie and I am actively discouraging people to go and see it in the theaters. If you want to see it, wait till it is on a streaming service.

The songs are not very good and can be scrapped without a problem, only one sort of moves the plot forward. It stops the action.

It doesn't really work as a prequel to the Gene Wilder movie, so no need to stick to those esthetics.

The entire movie could be more interesting if the kartel made sense. How much more interesting would it be if the kartel said to Wonka "You make amazing chocolate, let's work together and make even more money". And him then discovering there is more to chocolate than making money.

You would think it is about Wonka becoming a chocolatier, but he is already one from the start of the movie. That would make a more interesting prequel, I think.

Putting someone in a fatsuit to make jokes about being fat? Yeah... we shouldn't do that anymore.

Everything in the washing company, too much Oliver Twist / Annie (Jim Carter in very cringy scenes). The opening is very Sweeney Todd and the whole book switch... The Producers. So, no points for originality.

Totally get that Hugh Grant is not afraid to admit he only did it for the money, because it is a badly written part, only to move forward the plot. Deus ex machina and not very subtle. The best reason to take this part is for the money. Either give the oompa loompas a good backstory, or leave them out.

If you love the Gene Wilder movie and want to keep this image of Wonka: do not go see it. Timothy Chalemet does a good job with what he was given, but in my mind, he's not Wonka.
I just want to make sure...you did not like the movie? :scratchin :teeth:

But, I don't think the backstory included in Wonka matches the backstory from The Chocolate Factory. I could be wrong though.
I have to check, but if I remember correctly, it was already a toned down version from the book in the Gene Wilder movie. I think in the book they were a tribe from Africa. This was changed into a kind of magical creature, but the white saviour elements were still there. I think in the Gene Wilder movie he says something like he saved the Oompa Loompas?

In Wonka I don't think Willy goes to Loompaland, Hugh Grant's character finds him?
I am not sure what would be the best approach, as the origin story isn't acceptable nowadays. If they did give it a more 21st century accepted backstory, not sure if that would improve it.
I just want to make sure...you did not like the movie? :scratchin :teeth:
Oh good, I was afraid I was too subtle :P

I’m really looking forward to seeing it once I can stream it at home.
I may like it, I may hate it - who knows :confused3
There’s a lot of movies others hated that I enjoy(ed) - Zoolander being a prime example. I love that stupid movie! LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter