• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Words of wisdom from my 15 y/o DS

Eeyore2U

I'm the one you talk about. I rain on parades and
We were in WDW last week and here are a couple of quotes from my DS

Dad, why are they putting that stupid rollercoaster in and why did they wreck this section with thos tacky games?

Any guesses?

Those are the most disgusting building I have ever seen!!!

He seems to be ready for the Rumors board.

Or at least our kids do!

My 12 year old daughter likes the look and feel of Dino-Rama. She gets that its supposed to be "tacky" and finds the colors and simplicity amusing. She's looking forward to Primiveal Whirl (& so are the rest of us, actually)...As for the games, well my kids no longer squaak to play them & find them mildly interesting but I would say basically have no feeling other than ambivelance toward them...

I continue to think Dino-Rama is a great addition to AK...Provided BK soon follows...
(my smiles are missing:( )

Is there a time limit on the “…provided BK soon follows” clause? One suspects that your daughter will be taking her daughters to WDW long before we see this addition in all its glory.

And what would you say if BK is the same size and scope of Dino-Rama? Say one off-the-rack ride added to the Lion King show, maybe some merchandise & game tents and a food cart thrown in?

Well, that's a good point Voice and I'm sure when my daughter has a family and things have not significantly improved then she will no longer be going, either. As for the size of BK, my expectations are for an E ticket and at least 2 or 3 other attractions (not huge in scale but a little balance to a park that I talready think is great).

The thing about Dino-Rama is that it IS themed (Chester & Hester). Although the execution of the theme is well, er ah, rather inexpensive they have still kept to a relatively novel idea, IMO. You see we come from a small town. We have never seen a six flaggs or boardwalk type attractions. All we get are those cheap, scary travelling fairs. So WDW has taken this basic premise (which in itself isn't bad) and made it acceptable to Disney families (us, at least). This doesn't seem like a bad thing to me. Again TS is basic and yes we do have enough of them (but many people thought one was too many). PW will, by most accouns,t be a fun ride in an area that needs diversion (Tarzan Rocks & Dinosaur just weren't enough).

So, yes I will be disappointed if DR is all we get and gain and if BK is done on the cheap, but you know me, the eternal optimist, and on the heels of a great WDW wekend I have no reason to be negative!
:cool: :cool: :D :cool: :cool: (4 0ut of 5 ain't bad)

Originally posted by Peter Pirate
So, yes I will be disappointed if DR is all we get and gain

Hey, that's not disappointing-
DR

I supposed we’ve gone round-and-round the “themeing” issues of Dino-Rama enough for one lifetime, so I won’t bring them up again for the sake of everyone’s sanity. I will only comment, however, that Dino-Rama and most of the recent projects seem to lack any sort of ambition. However well they turn out (or don’t), the Disney's goal seems lower just about every attempt.

I’m finding the whole trend very disheartening. The world’s already filled with enough mediocrity. Given the resources and talent that Disney could command, recreating a carnival just doesn’t seem to a noble or original undertaking. Especially when you consider what else could have been done with a little bit of effort. I’ve always hated the “just good enough” attitude that always creeps into any company. Perhaps it’s the times, but I’m finding I’m unwilling to appease people who just don’t care enough to do a good job.

As for Beastly Kingdom, we’ll see whatever some sponsor is willing to pay for. It’s been made very clear that current management will not invest in major attractions. And with Disney’s recent record for pleasing sponsors, it’s going to be a long wait for anything beyond a unicorn spinner and a candy apple tent. And the decision certainly isn’t one forced on them; the budget for Disney’s proposed ‘The Alamo’ film is higher than the budget for ‘Mission: Space’.

Sir Voice,

Speaking of Mission Space. There have been some rumors that this attraction has increased in scoop as of late. More of a pavilion instead of just a ride (trip into outer space to a space station instead of space training simulator).

Have you heard anything? Wishful thinking?

Jerry

Voice, I respect your desire to not want to travel the "is Dino-Rama themed" ground again and I also respect your POV on the issue. Of course I would like an imaginative and different experience from WDW instead of the simpler, cheaper route...But my point was, if this DR concept works for my family, simply because we haven't been exposed to this genre of park in the past, what is wrong with that? Perhaps there ARE many, many people who will see, understand and appreciate the irony and nostalgia of it all...Would that not be ok? Further, regarding mediocrity, again with the subjective? It is obvious that your taste on many things runs many paces ahead of the average, and I agree that a new "wow" is always good, but can't you see that a new "wow" is on the way (Space) and they simply cannot afford to load up WDW with "wow" attractions that can't possibly pay for themselves?

I know, I know, this sets me up not only for the "I accept medicority" comments but the "I'm a Disney apologist" comments as well, but I just don't see why it seems that lately the goal of many car threepers is to "rain on the parade" of those in car one. I have stated many times my appreciation for the finer possibilities but my ability to continue to go to WDW continues to exist, in part, by the fact that I believe Space will be a GREAT ride. That BK will be built to Disney standards (proving that DR was just an A-B ticket freebie). Take the 'glass half full' mentality away from me and I will stop going to a place that, up til now, has been a glorious respite from the everyday.

It's ok to discuss the negative, but I get very saddened by the continuous RIP sentiments... unless they're at HM...
:cool: :cool: (mia):cool: :cool:

The boss is away so I am back, again. Interesting discussion. I remember some very similar topics in 2000 and 2001 on does every addition have to be an E and all that. Like the Pirate I am in car 1 and will continue to remain so because my experience is/has not been diminished by DR. I will get my first look in June. I am taking my nephew and 2 neices. It has been a long time since I had the younger set at WDW so I am looking forward to their reaction to DR and some of the other A-B rides. Personally, I think they will like it because of its difference.

I would like to see BK at Animal Kingdom but it is my favorite place even without it.

I was a little surprised with this section of AK. I knew it was in the works but never paid much attention to how far along it was. I felt like I was on a set for the Flintstones! Not something Disney! Almost like I hoped over to IOA! (I love that park and that is not meant as a cut!) My kids loved it but they are 6 and 4. I just wish Disney would get over the Dumbo rides! I love Dumbo but I don't need to go on 3 different variation of it! (New Aladin ride)
So I have mixed emotions on this addition Part of me likes it since I love the Flintstones (I know that wasn't what they want me to think of!LOL) and it is a nice break for the kids to do silly little things. But my little kiddies are growing! So....I will just wait and see!

Dis!!! My main man!! Welcome back!!

And I'm glad to see you're formally dressed once again! ;)

Ah Disduck...which boss might that be? And how are things down at the new digs in Berkeley Heights?

I didn't make it over to Animal Kingdom in January but I did get on the Aladdin ride...my friends kids loved it. For me it was pretty to look at but almost boring to ride. Hopefully this new ride won't be in that category because AK is a little short on rides as it is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter