• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Work from home that's not a scam?

KikiFan

<font color=darkorchid>I just couldn't believe som
I've been wracking my brain lately looking for a second source of income, and it seems like the only things I'm finding are scams. I'm hoping to add about $250 a week. So I thought I'd pick y'alls brains! Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Something that's not a scam?

I'm a self employed massage therapist. I spend a lot of time waiting on clients to call a book appointments, so I've been looking for something I can do from home that utilizes the time I spend waiting around. My average work day is about 3-4 hours, so I have about 3-4 hours a day I can devote to it. It just can't always be the same 3-4 hours. My main stipulation is that it be flexible enough to work around my massage clients - since they are my main source of income. So I need to be free to keep answering the phone, oh and pick up my daughter from school! It can even be something mobile - as long as I can answer my phone.

ANy ideas would really be appreciated.

here's another bump... I'm interested in the answer too!

I too looked into this. I found that Ameriplan is legit. not that much to keep and join. just gotta sell the plan. Stuff-a friend is good no need to but stuff to be a member and no membership fee untill affter the first year I think. It's kinda like the build a bear stuff but from home. I accually joined and bought some animals. but haven't done anything with em yet. stuffafriend.biz and I haven't found anything else really that legit. american income life insurance or aflac insurance stuff like that. anyone elese have any other suggestions :confused3

I copied this from one of the threads a few days ago and hope it helps. I know the links do not work anymore but the names of the companies and the bulk of the story is still there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this last nite in the NY Post newspaper here in NYC. I know many people post to the "Want to earn $70 for 5 hours work every now and then" thread for extra money & many here are SAHMs who could use extra money. So I thought this article might help. I was able to find it on-line.

I am not affiated with any of the companies listed, nor have I worked for any of the companies or even the NY Post. Heck, I've said all the time here I wouldn't even wrap my fish in that newspaper. So please, research any of the companies listed thoroughly before commiting a lot of your time.

LINK: http://www.nypost.com/seven/1127200...ory_johnson.htm

BRINGING IT ALL BACK HOME

ENVELOPE-STUFFING IS FOR SUCKERS,
BUT THERE ARE LOTS OF LEGIT WORK OPTIONS
THAT HIT WHERE YOU LIVE

By TORY JOHNSON November 27, 2006

"AS a call center employee selling tickets to Broadway shows, Gloria Clark dreamed of doing the same type of
work at her home in Spanish Harlem. A 48-year-old single mother of three grown children, she wanted to have fl exible hours and to be close to her father, who's in the early stages of dementia.

She trolled the Internet for opportunities, but was skeptical about the offers she saw. Then she found WillowCSN, a Floridabased company that provides Fortune 500 companies with home-based representatives to handle customer calls.

After completing basic training to master the necessary skills and technology, she's now ready to go to work as a virtual customer service agent, servicing one of Willow's travel clients, such as the start-up airline Virgin America. Like other contractors who work for the company, she'll be able to work from home, and set her own schedule.

"That means I'll be able to help my father out more," she says.

Clark is among the thousands of workers who have benefited from a challenge "Good Morning America" co-anchor Diane Sawyer posed to me three months ago: to find ways to make money at home. No, she wasn't looking for ways to supplement her own income; she was responding to pleas from viewers looking to gain more control over their lives.

We heard from stay-at-home moms who dreamed of bringing in extra cash for the holidays. Others said physical challenges prevented them from working outside of their homes, and they felt trapped by what appeared to be a lack of legitimate opportunities. We received e-mails from folks nearing retirement without enough savings to hang up their hats, and college students interested in ways to learn and earn simultaneously.

I went to work on behalf of all of them. And what I found was: While there are plenty of scams operated by profiteers out to convince you that stuffing envelopes in your kitchen is the pathway to riches, there are many legitimate opportunities for those who want to wear their slippers to work.

Here are some of the ways that viewers have told us they're now making money at home, after drawing tips from "GMA"'s ongoing series "Take Control of Your Life." (**Link below)

Answer customer calls: When you call customer service lines for companies like J. Crew, 1-800-Flowers or Virgin Atlantic, the person who answers may well be sitting in their home office instead of a cubicle. These major players and others like them outsource customer-service calls to companies such as WillowCSN.com, AlpineAccess.com, LiveOps.com and WorkAtHomeAgent.com, which hire and train virtual agents, typically as independent contractors.

In addition to having a pleasant voice and strong customer-service skills, you must have a computer with a high-speed Internet connection, a land line and a quiet place to work - all of which you pay for on your own. For this you can make $8 to $15 an hour, depending on your experience, call volume and accounts. Be prepared to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, although some agents work as many as 60.

Be an online "guide":

Chacha.com, a new search engine that offers users free assistance via instant message from a live, home-based guide, pays such guides between $5 and $10 an hour, which can be claimed via debit card or direct deposit. This is a great source of diaper money for moms and beer bucks for the college crowd.

The site About.com hires guides with proven expertise in a topic area. Guides must publish articles and update blogs regularly. Successful guides earn a minimum of $500 per month, and some earn upwards of $100,000 a year for high-trafficked sections.

Serve clients as a concierge: Ready to handle phone, e-mail and online requests for services ranging from making dinner recommendations to planning vacations for busy professionals? What if the caller asked you to rent monkeys for a birthday party, or to help write a toast for a wedding?

Those are some of the common and quirky requests asked of home-based concierge agents at VIPdesk, whose clients are busy executives who gladly pay for services of convenience. VIPdesk.com hires home-based workers who are highly resourceful and have prior experience in high-end customer service, travel and/or hospitality.

Since concierge services are growing in popularity as a benefit for businesses of all sizes, consider starting your own company. For example, a doctor's office might require staff to work long hours to accommodate patients. Employee absenteeism can cause a disruption in services. It may be more beneficial for the medical practice to pay an outsider like you to handle errands and special chores for a nurse than to give that employee a day off. This same theory applies to companies where staffers work long hours or travel regularly. Use this approach when pitching your services.

Cook up cash: If you can whip up magic in the kitchen, you may qualify to become a home-based culinary consultant for Chefsline.com, which provides live, professional advice on cooking or baking. Consultants must excel at cooking, teaching and customer service, and must be available to take calls for a minimum of eight hours per week, during afternoon and evening hours. A specialty in regional cuisine, such as African, Middle Eastern or French, is desirable. Pay ranges from $7.50 to $30 an hour.

Push some product: It's not just Mary Kay and Tupperware anymore. There are thousands of opportunities to make money through in-person and online direct sales. More than 14 million people are independent contractors doing just that. Select a company that mirrors your own interests, since there's a greater likelihood you'll be able to sell products you actually like.

Interested in health and alternative medicine? Sign on with TiensNA.com. Like fine wine? Become a rep for TheTravelingVineyard.com. Is high-end clothing your soft spot? Check out CarlisleCollection.com. Want to sell toys to parents in your kid's play group? Try DiscoveryToysInc.com. The Direct Selling Association (dsa.org) offers links to businesses and advice on succeeding in direct sales.

Be a virtual publicist: Technology enables the existence of thousands of virtual p.r. firms, all of which need experienced communications and marketing professionals. PerkettPR.com, Bisbeeandco.com, PartnerCentric.com and OrcaCommunications.com are just a few to contact if you're a seasoned p.r. pro.

Or start your own virtual firm: If you're experienced in promotions, event planning, writing, pitching, crisis communications or strategic planning, there's a good chance your services are in demand. Without expensive office overhead, you can offer competitive prices while making a hefty profit. Create a Web site that promotes your abilities, and start spreading the word. Since you're in p.r., you no doubt know how to toot your own horn.

Become an online tutor: If you graduated from a U.S. college (or are currently enrolled at an accredited school) and you have expertise in English, math, science or social studies, you could make money as an online tutor. You must be able to convey key information to students of all ages - generally they range from fourth grade through college level - in an online environment. Visit Tutor.com or search online using the keywords "online tutor" to learn how to make $10 an hour or more working five to 30 hours a week.

Get paid to write: A handful of sites pay for articles, including Helium.com and Associatedcontent.com. You won't make big bucks - the latter pays around $10 per published piece - but they offer a good way to build an online portfolio of published work. It's working for Neil White of Harlem, who hopes to use the numerous articles he's published on Associatedcontent.com to further his freelance writing career.

"The turnaround time is fast, and the visibility is great," says White, 37. "It's an ideal vehicle to get published on any topic."

Create a product line: Ever dream of seeing your slogans and artwork on T-shirts, mugs or hats? Turn that dream into cash without investing in expensive startup costs like equipment and stock. Submit your original ideas online to sites like Zazzle.com and CafePress.com, and you'll receive commission on all sales generated with your designs.

Dodging the duds

Ever wondered if those ads that promise big bucks for stuffing envelopes are on the level?

Here's the short answer: no.

I responded to ads that promised up to $1,500 a week with little effort. What I got was an offer to buy "starter kits" for $20 to $50 each. Each instructed me to mail flyers recruiting others - if they bought the same kit, I'd get a commission.

So instead of stuffing envelopes for a hefty fee, your job is to extend the pyramid scheme by suckering others just as you've been suckered.

But that's not to say that all home-based opportunities that request money up front are rip-offs. Many legitimate direct sales companies and others that help you start a business require a start-up fee to cover the cost of training and supplies.

How can you tell them apart? Here are a few tips:

Talk to a live person: Don't send money based on hype; talk to a live person about the requirements and the realistic earning potential. Ask about potential pitfalls and challenges.

Get references: Get names of people who are doing the same type of work successfully. If you wanted to become a consultant with Mary Kay or Avon, you'd have no trouble finding people willing to talk - not just e-mail - about getting started.

Don't buy into hype: If it promises big money with little effort, walk away. Do you really know anyone who paid $100 and is now making $3,000 a week? - P.J."

** Here is the link for Good Morning America's series: TakeControlOfYourLife for more tips.

I'm NOT a rep but if you are at all interested in doing a direct sales it seems to me Lia Sophia is the way to go. They have incredible hostess benefits so it's easy to book parties and you get 30% commission. I wish I had the time to do it but I don't. www.liasophia.com

Thank you all for your responses. I'm following a few leads and hopefully something will pan out!

For what it's worth I looked into Ameriplan. I still haven't ruled it out, but I was somewhat discouraged that their rating by BBB was recently downgraded. Their $50 monthly fee is a bit disconcerting.

I worked with Alpine Access (mentioned in the article) and they were good to work with. But your home has to be quiet when you're working (clients are to believe they have reached a call center) and with the P.O.S. dog next door that's left out 24/7 barking all day right next to the computer room, well...it doesn't work for me. I love animals, but not this one. Besides keeping me from being able to work at home with Alpine Access, he also wakes DS (25 months old) up 3 or 4 times a week during his nap.

Sorry this is about working at home - not dogs - lol

Alpine Access is a reputable company and very easy to work with. You have to have a land phone line and a headset that is connected to the phone. (not cordless) I think you also have to have high speed internet and be able to be on the phone and online at the same time.

arlenesp said:
I copied this from one of the threads a few days ago and hope it helps. I know the links do not work anymore but the names of the companies and the bulk of the story is still there.

I was the OP of that thread. I'm glad to know it is of use to people. I have now fixed all the links in the original thread so you can go directly to the company websites. If they don't work, you can always copy & paste the links into your browser.

Here's the original thread if you want to bookmark it:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1287876

Thanks, I emailed this to a few of my co-workers and myself as well. You never know when you'll need the info.I would love for my DD to be able to do this. She is currently in retail p/t and has worked in call centers before . She is also finishing up her college at night,( as having 3 children interupted that.)
Problem is she needs to benefits for medical, and I don't think these companies offer that.

If anyone enjoys designing with PhotoShop or a similar software, I work from home. I have an online shop (www.myubergoober.com) powered through CafePress.com.

You simply create the designs (and they can be as simple as a text-only design!), then apply them onto the products of your choice. My "salary" through the store is equivalent to DH's -- he works full time as a grocery store manager.

It's a great set-up because I work at night when the baby is asleep. Frees up my time during the day to spend with my son...

Anyway -- if anyone is interested in trying it out -- here's the link: Open Your OWN CafePress Shop! (As a side note, if you do decide to open your own shop, I'd appreciate it if you used my store id (myubergoober) as your referral. Thanks so much!)

Also, I found this on another board of SAHMs. There have been a number of people who have been hired already and they say it's legit... It's worth a look, I guess! http://ww21.1800flowers.com/template.do?id=template8&page=9000#18 (note that it's for select states only):

1-800-Flowers - Seasonal Inbound Sales Agent

Job Description: Taking Inbound Sales calls selling flowers. Primary focus will be on providing the customer with a pleasant experience while achieving up-selling penetration, consistency in service, maximum conversion rate, average order value, call length, schedule adherence and required QA scores
Position Duties:
* Answers incoming customer inquiries promptly and in accordance with the established call-handling procedures.
* Provides high quality customer service in a professional, timely and courteous manner.
* Answers inbound catalog and Internet sales calls including basic order inquiry, account inquiry and various customer services related calls.
* Up-sells additional related items.
General Qualifications:
* Agents must be self-sufficient and be able to access, utilize and quickly changing information as up-sell lists change daily.
* Excellent customer service and communication skills.
* Excellent verbal and written skills including grammar and voice quality.
* Self-sufficient and dependable.
* Active listening and attention to detail with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
* Interpersonal skills are needed to relate to the customer. Interest in the products offered is important, and a willingness to offer up-sells.
* Function comfortably in a performance-based environment with calls that are monitored, recorded and assessed.
* Legally able to work in the United States.
* High School Diploma or equivalent.
Minimum System Requirements:
* High Speed: DSL or Cable
* High Resolution Monitor (set at 1024 X 768 resolution)
* Telephone headset for production calls
* Windows 2000 or Windows XP
* 256 MB RAM on Computer
* Pentium II 300 MHZ Processor
* Internet Explorer 6.0
* 600 MB free hard drive space
Technical requirements:
* Computer literate - ability to navigate between multiple browser and application systems.
* Good typing and data entry skills. Knowledge of non-windows based systems (AS400) is recommended, along with the ability to work with multiple browsers.
* Ideal candidates should know their own computer well.
Shift and Availability Requirements:
All times in this job posting are listed in Mountain Time in Colorado.
All Agents are required to select one of the following shifts:
Morning Agents: Monday -- Friday, 5am -- 12pm,
Agents must show 5 hrs each day within this time period,
Agents must also show 5 hrs availability within shift on 12/23.
Afternoon Agents: Monday -- Friday, 11am -- 6pm,
**If you have flexibility in your schedule, this shift is of greatest need!
Evening Agents: Monday -- Friday, 4pm -- 10pm,
This program runs from 12/11/06 -- 12/29/06
Additional Availability Requirements: Agents must show the minimum availability for the ENTIRE ramp period following their training. Agents are permitted to show additional availability during program hours of operation. Agents will not necessarily be scheduled for all of their availability.
Important items to note:
* NO time off requests will be authorized for the entire ramp period.
* Shift commitments are binding and cannot be changed; any failure to adhere to the minimum availability requirements and/or shift commitments may result in removal from the program and/or termination.
* No cross training from other programs is allowed.
Program Hours:
12/11 -- 12/17: 6am -- 10pm
12/18 -- 12/24: 5am -- 10pm
12/26 -- 12/29: 6am -- 6pm
Program will be closed on 12/25/06
Pay rate: $9 per hour paid for all agents. Training is paid at $5.75 per hour.
Training:
Training is 16 hours of class time, 4 days per week, 4 hours per day.
Training will begin on 12-4, starting at various times throughout the day (as early as 5 am, with the last class of the day at 6pm MT). Each Agent must be able to attend 100% of the class you select (same time each day for all 4 days).
Agents are not guaranteed a spot in a particular class time. Once all of your paperwork has been approved, you will receive an e-mail asking you to sign up for training. You will select from the available classes at that time.
Application Instructions (please follow carefully):
To apply, please send an e-mail to 1800flowers@alpineaccess.com and please note the following:
1. Please include your complete NAME and the specific SHIFT you are applying for in the subject line of your email. This is important for accurate processing.
2. Please include an acknowledgement that you are able to commit to each of the qualification requirements listed in this job posting (including shift and training availability) in the body of the email.
*If you have any questions, please contact info@alpineaccess.com.

*Wish*Upon*A*Star* said:
If anyone enjoys designing with PhotoShop or a similar software, I work from home. I have an online shop (www.myubergoober.com) powered through CafePress.com.

You simply create the designs (and they can be as simple as a text-only design!), then apply them onto the products of your choice. My "salary" through the store is equivalent to DH's -- he works full time as a grocery store manager.

It's a great set-up because I work at night when the baby is asleep. Frees up my time during the day to spend with my son...

WOW! I love using my photo editing/retouching program! I was on Craigslist looking for possible part-time jobs where I might be able to get some fun work doing that. Now, you've possibly started me on a whole new direction. I hadn't thought about taking my anal photo editing tendancy & using it for objects. :Pinkbounc

I definitely will be emailing you later!

I work from my home and have been for over 10 years. I work for a nursing agency oncall. When the office closes, the phones are forwarded to me and I am basically the office after hours. I'm even on call right now! :goodvibes We are a nursing staffing agency and we send nurses to work at hospitals, nursing homes, etc. With this type of agency, you always have to have someone on call working because of cancellations, new needs, problems and so forth. Nursing agencies are in just about every state and every major city. I live in Tennessee but our corporate office is in New Jersey and our home office is in Florida. Just look in the yellow pages phone book under "nurses" and you will see different agencies listed. Call them and ask if they are hiring for "on call". I have really been blessed, although I will admit, it's not for everyone. My calls go whereever I go. But I have absolutely no complaints! :banana: My son is 14 and I've been able to stay home with him since he's been born. You can PM me if I can answer anymore questions. :yay:

*Wish*Upon*A*Star* said:
Also, I found this on another board of SAHMs. There have been a number of people who have been hired already and they say it's legit... It's worth a look, I guess! http://ww21.1800flowers.com/template.do?id=template8&page=9000#18 (note that it's for select states only):

1-800-Flowers - Seasonal Inbound Sales Agent

Job Description: Taking Inbound Sales calls selling flowers. Primary focus will be on providing the customer with a pleasant experience while achieving up-selling penetration, consistency in service, maximum conversion rate, average order value, call length, schedule adherence and required QA scores
Position Duties:
*If you have any questions, please contact info@alpineaccess.com.

This is the exact account I worked with when I did Alpine Access. The training is easy, but thorough and the hours are flexible.

There is a website dedicated to work at home parents and list hundreds of companies that offer legitimate work at home experiences. Whether you are a stay at home parent or not, if you are interested in working out of your home you might want to check it out. The address is www.babiesandbusiness.com . There are articles about working from home also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter