• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Work parties/gifts

I would like to amend my statement. I just received a box of Harry & David pears and chocolate from my work today.
Wow. I haven't even seen a Harry & Davis store in years. I used to see them at high end shopping centers, as well as at many outlet malls. The outlet mall locations were a combination of closeouts but generally had a standard selection at regular prices.

It sounds like they've gone almost entirely mail order, except for their flagship location in Medford, Oregon. We had them assemble a couple of baskets as gifts.

No party this year, but some of the best stuff I've gotten over the years includes a Christmas swap and a $50 Barnes & Noble gift card from a drawing. I used it to buy a few books, but I could also use it at the cafe to buy lunch.

I work in childcare so I usually get little gifts from the kids and my boss usually gets me a gift basket of some kind. Hubby just got a Godiva chocolates in the mail today. Sort of a surprise because I don't think they got anything last year aside from some time off, which was nice enough.

Christmas party at a local restaurant...bonuses as usual. Private room....same precautions as any other day. Not much difference here.

Christmas party for half the plant every year (the other half have to work.) Prizes/gifts given away every year, nice gifts. TVs, sound bars, tablets, laptops/Chromebooks, gift cards to various places. Those who go to the party get the chance to win something. Use to pull names for everything from all names but last couple years they changed to a chinese auction. So you got 10 tickets to put in whatever you chose to. Also if you went to the party, you got a $25 gift card. Those who had to work doesn't get anything.

This year the party was canceled. The bags for the gifts you put your tickets in were in the front and everyone got tickets, not just those who went and weren't working.

Raises were canceled so they are giving us a 2% bonus this year. Should be $800 or so, but I loose I think around $23,000 from not getting that raise this year. Meanwhile the pandemic and middle class essential landscaping social distancing had us swamped since this all started.

Normally a luncheon, instead this year everyone was able to choose between a pie or a sweatshirt. I took the sweatshirt.

DH's office shindig was replaced by each employee getting to choose a gift from Omaha steaks.

We get a "longevity" bonus each year in our first paycheck for December, and this year was no different. Usually, my group (7 people) does a lunch and Dirty Santa one workday close to Christmas. This year, we are doing a virtual Dirty Santa over Zoom. I'm not sure how well that will work, but we'll be doing that this afternoon.

I am assuming we are getting a Christmas bonus this year. We got an email (from HR) asking for some information and our account numbers for those of us who are off during the time they are handing out "Christmas Cards"... I assume the are making a deposit int our accounts. That said, I have spent quite a bit on gifts for co-workers in my department.

For the record: Yes I am sure it was an internal email from HR everybody who is off during the next few days was talking about it AND they do this every year.

I thought I'd update since I am the OP and I found out today what our gifts are. In lieu of a dinner, that amount was donated to the local food bank which is awesome. Our gifts are a backpack, wireless headphones, and a blanket...all with the company logo. A little underwhelming, it's basically just free advertising for them lol, but I'm just glad I found a job this year after 6 months of "furlough".

My (former) job had a holiday party with another law office. We are both smaller offices and the owners are related. That was done away with about 5 years ago bc of issues with the bosses’ daughter. Go figure.

for a gift we would get one week pay for every year of work. One week before Christmas my boss “transferred” me to the relatives office. I’m still sitting at the same desk and using the same equipment. The only difference is the person who gives me the work. This year I received nothing. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. I worked for Boss A for 11 months this year (and have a 20 year history of working there on and off).

My (former) job had a holiday party with another law office. We are both smaller offices and the owners are related. That was done away with about 5 years ago bc of issues with the bosses’ daughter. Go figure.

for a gift we would get one week pay for every year of work. One week before Christmas my boss “transferred” me to the relatives office. I’m still sitting at the same desk and using the same equipment. The only difference is the person who gives me the work. This year I received nothing. To say I’m disappointed is an understatement. I worked for Boss A for 11 months this year (and have a 20 year history of working there on and off).
Wow! That’s crap!

We typically have a catered (in house/campus restaurant) lunch, and a fun party type thing. Last year we did a murder mystery dinner.
This year, my department chose to give us about $100 in extra 'points'. We have a program where we can be given points for recognition/etc. and cash out for various items/gift cards. My husband works for the same company in a different department and received a Caroo box and about $50 in points.

$25 Grubhub certificate in place of the holiday luncheon.
$25 gift card to the big grocery store chain here.
$1,000 bonus.

Our project had a virtual dinner last week. We could spend $75 for our dinner and we all ate/drank together via zoom. The partner gave us money to the company swag store. I got a couple of things from there and nationally we had a virtual Christmas party. We didn't get a Christmas bonus unless you count the $1500 they gave us in the Dec 11 paycheck.

All in all, not too bad. Oh, and we are off starting 12/25 through 1/4.

I'll take it. :)

Last year we had a catered breakfast and each got a small gift. This year they are just giving us an extra day off (January 4).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter