Work Question

I encourage my son to e-mail his teachers (or whatever method his teachers use for contact) right when we're talking about the homework, or other question, because if he doesn't do it right then, he'll forget, but we certainly don't expect an answer back right away. You're at home, this mode of contact is just a mode of contact, it doesn't dictate an instantaneous tether to your brain, put it down and respond when you're "on the clock".

Giving the parents the benefit of the doubt, I would say that maybe that is the only chance they had to send a message/ask a question and they do not expect an immediate reply.

Another likely scenario... many people do not understand boundaries.

I think the advice somebody gave you to just not reply until you are "on the clock" is the best thing.

Why not just turn off the notifications in the app so they don't just pop up on your phone?? Then you can just open the app at your convenience to check the messages. You don't have to set it up so that they come through as a text message. My sons school has used this app (this is the 4th year) and I have not heard of any problems with it. It's a super convenient way to get the info out to the parents and students all at the same time. You could even send out a message to all that messages will only be answered during certain hours so no one expects you to reply after hours.

Most of my kids' teachers have used the Remind App for years. I had no idea until this year that parents could text back. I thought it was one-way communication. (One teacher this year specifically asks people to reply to Reminds.) Most of the teachers ask for communication to be through e-mail and say that they don't check e-mail after X:XX time of day.

I agree with others that I doubt most parents are expecting an immediate response. And if there is a notification about "office hours" I would assume 'you will not get a reply till office hours', not 'don't message outside of office hours.'

I do feel your pain about parents asking dumb questions -- but I also feel for the parents. Our school website is like a needle in a haystack. They send a weekly e-mail newsletter, but the newsletter is basically a series of links "Click here to read a message from the principal." (Which may or may not include important info.) "Click here for the latest from the PTO." (again, might be important or not.) Can't they just put it directly in the e-mail, rather than me clicking through all the links?

I am an upper elementary teacher with 3 of my own kids at home. For the last 3 years I've used Remind (an app that allows me to send reminders to parents and will allow parents to message me - without giving either of us one another's actual phone numbers).

This year I've been messaged at all hours as early as 6:30 am and as late as 10:02 - with pretty trival questions "x is missing answer 4 on the study guide" and "what time is the Halloween parade?" for example. One easily answered on google, with the online text book, or actual book, the other listed in multile emails, reminds, newsletters, and in student planners.

I went into the app and set "office hours" thinking that would help, but it appears it just let's parents know they are sending messages outside of my office hours and they continue to send the messages/questions.

Clearly I won't be using this again. It is taking time away from my own kids and I just feel like its rude. Am I out of line? I totally get if its an emergency or an actual question that requires an immediate answer but at this point I feel like it is going too far especially since these kiddos are going to middle school next year and most of these questions are ones they should know.
Out of line? For wanting a private life away from your job? No.

I've been an elementary teacher for 17 years. I never give out my private number for calls or texts or use a messaging service, and our principal even advises teachers not to respond to emails on weekends. Your family time (or even just your private time, if you have no family) is sacred. You can't do your best work in the classroom if you feel drained or resentful from not having uninterrupted time for yourself and family at home. Homework grading & lesson planning take up enough of that home time, as it is.

Ask yourself this: Would you think it would be okay to call those parents at 6:30am or 10:02pm, because you wanted to talk to them about their child? No, you wouldn't. You deserve the same courtesy you would extend to them.

After hours/before hours, I do not make myself available to parent messaging. They are free to email or call my classroom phone 24/7, but I'll only respond to it at work, during a planning period (not during class time, which is for the students). I will respond by the next day of school at the latest.

Last edited:
I would likely do the same but not expect to hear back until whenever is convenient for the teacher. Using something like the Remind app, I would never think to hear back from the teacher straight away.

That said, I'm envious that you guys give email addresses to parents. At our school, the best we can do is send in a note. Most of my communication is via my kids. Tough when I have DS14 who is rather scatterbrained and forgets things on a regular basis. This semester I did my best to stay on top of him to show me all tests/quizzes but still had little way of knowing he was having major issues until I got the midterm report card.

Parents do not have my cell and I have no intention of giving it to them. If the school wants me to have texting and calls during hours outside of when I am in my office, they can provide me with a full paid cell phone and plan and comp time or over time.

They can email me through my work email and chances are, I will not read it or get back to them unless it is school hours or close to school hours.

Does your school say you have to do this?

I am an upper elementary teacher with 3 of my own kids at home. For the last 3 years I've used Remind (an app that allows me to send reminders to parents and will allow parents to message me - without giving either of us one another's actual phone numbers).

This year I've been messaged at all hours as early as 6:30 am and as late as 10:02 - with pretty trival questions "x is missing answer 4 on the study guide" and "what time is the Halloween parade?" for example. One easily answered on google, with the online text book, or actual book, the other listed in multile emails, reminds, newsletters, and in student planners.

I went into the app and set "office hours" thinking that would help, but it appears it just let's parents know they are sending messages outside of my office hours and they continue to send the messages/questions.

Clearly I won't be using this again. It is taking time away from my own kids and I just feel like its rude. Am I out of line? I totally get if its an emergency or an actual question that requires an immediate answer but at this point I feel like it is going too far especially since these kiddos are going to middle school next year and most of these questions are ones they should know.

I'd be that parent sending a text in the middle of the night or whenever I had a chance to, and I don't think it's rude. I figure that a text, like email is a means of communicating that allows the recipient to respond whenever it is convenient. If you don't want to read and reply to a text I send you at 10PM, read and reply to it at 10Am or whenever you want the next day. If you are giving parents a way to communicate with you, it's not really fair for you to complain when they do communicate with you, even if you think the question is a stupid one.

If getting a text message makes you feel like you need to reply right away, or if the notification makes sound you find distracting, why not have parents email you instead? I'm sure you understand how hard it is to juggle work and kids, and parents need to be able to respond when they have time. To limit when they can reply might discourage communication at all.

I agree with the previous posters. I usually email teachers late at night or early in the morning when I think of something. I don't expect an answer right away.

Same. My kids teachers are good and will respond almost right away. But if I didn’t get a response until the next morning i wouldn’t complain. And we usually ask classmates for homework or party time questions.

I would set Remind to not let parents text you back. One way communications only - your messages going out. Encourage them to e-mail you and DON'T check it outside of business hours. People don't like change, so there might be some grumbling this year, but it is what it is. Next year, start the year by advising parents that a call or an e-mail during business hours is the only way to contact you.

My son's basketball team uses Remind Me (the coach is a teacher). My phone is set to autoreply to all texts when I'm driving. If I get a remind text while I'm driving, my phone automatically responds. Then I get the following text: "Remind: It is outside the Office Hours of xxxxxxx Basketball, which are: 7am-7pm on Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri. You may not get a quick reply."

It sounds like you need to figure out how to setup your Remind to do the same thing.

Parents do not have my cell and I have no intention of giving it to them. If the school wants me to have texting and calls during hours outside of when I am in my office, they can provide me with a full paid cell phone and plan and comp time or over time.
They can email me through my work email and chances are, I will not read it or get back to them unless it is school hours or close to school hours.
Does your school say you have to do this?
Apparently not. The OP clarified upthread that the actual problem is it produces anxiety in her if texts come in and she doesn't respond to them immediately. It really has nothing to do with job requirements or the demands of the parents and I don't think a single poster on this thread has told the OP they would expect to be answered outside working hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter