Working and SS disability

tacomaranch

Tacoma Ranch home of wild mustangs! We are all on
I am on SSD and I just wondered if I can take a small PT job just to try to work? If you are on SSD and could share some information about what I am allowed to do and not I would really appreciate it.

I am afraid that if I try to work, that means I do work and they will think I could work FT which I can't. I will not risk losing my SSD just to try a PT job. But I don't know the rules and I am afraid to even call.

Thanks, April

I am on ss disability, and you can work, but can only earn up to $620 a month without them considering it "meaningful work". I sell tools at Sears part time. Just call 'em and tell them you want to do something a couple of days a week. They told me it happens a lot, you just can't make too much money.

I am on SSDI and work fulltime. If you have expenses related to your disability due to the IRWE program ( impairment related work expenses) you can earn as much as you want as long as your medical expenses make your "real take home pay" not more than $800 a month. The qualifying expenses offset your income. Before you need to worry about that there's the trial work program where you can earn as much as you want and still keep SSDI even without the expenses. At the end of the trial SSDI then determines whether you are still disabled and can keep those benefits. I had no trouble still qualifying as being disabled. If not for both SSDI and work I could not afford caregivers, co-pays, transportation expenses and my service dog. Note though that transportation expenses do not include a car/van note or insurance. You must be using public transportation or paying someone to drive you to take that deduction. You may want to speak with someone either at Social Security who will send you information about IRWE or talk to a Vocational Rehab counsellor.---Kathy

Thanks, I will look into the program. I am moving to Logan Ut this fall so my DS who has autism can go to school during the morning. I wanted to see if maybe the school had a little job I could to do to keep busy while being in a strange town and not knowing anyone.

I am more hopeful now that I may be able to get something or try to see what I can do now. I know I can't do books any longer or even basic math, but I can type. I am feeling better, Thanks!

From what I understood from my mom, who just got SS, was that she could still work up and make up to $900 a month and it wouldn't affect her check.

I'd call and find out.

Please call and check before you get a part time job.

We just applied for my son and he was turned down because he is working part time.

He is only working about 15 hrs a week. Making only about 400 a month.

Please call and check before you get a part time job.

We just applied for my son and he was turned down because he is working part time.

He is only working about 15 hrs a week. Making only about 400 a month.

I would appeal the decision. I attended a training on Social Security and Employment last month. We were told that someone could make $900 dollars per month and still receice SSDI. Was your son applying for SSI or SSDI? There are different standards for both programs.

I would appeal the decision. I attended a training on Social Security and Employment last month. We were told that someone could make $900 dollars per month and still receice SSDI. Was your son applying for SSI or SSDI? There are different standards for both programs.

I just pulled the denial letter out and it looks like we were applying for SSI.
What is the difference? Maybe that was the problem.
Also, we spoke with some from Office of Vocational Rehab for my son and she said that there is MAWD available which I think she said was assistance while working with a disability. Not sure, she said she would mail us something and as of today we have not received it.

SSI is income based while SSDI is based on the amount of quarters you have paid into Social Security. How old is your son? if he is under eighteen your family's income is scrutinized. If he is over eighteen his elgibility is based on his income. Does he have more than two thousand dollars in assets? That cold be why he was deemed ineligible. Please look into appealing the decision.

Yes, SSI is a whole different ballgame than SSDI however they still allow someone to work...just not earn nearly as much if they have SSI and there's the limit already mentioned of 2K in assets to even qualify for SSI. ---Kathy

SSI is income based while SSDI is based on the amount of quarters you have paid into Social Security. How old is your son? if he is under eighteen your family's income is scrutinized. If he is over eighteen his elgibility is based on his income. Does he have more than two thousand dollars in assets? That cold be why he was deemed ineligible. Please look into appealing the decision.

My son just turned 19 in April. No, he does not have anything even remotely close to 2000.00 in assets. (no car, no money in the bank etc..)
They based it on his age, going to shool and holding a part time job. Stating that he can do all that so he was denied and that he has not been in the hospital enough. He has been in the hospital about 5 times since the age of 8each admission is about 12-18 days.(His last admission was 11/2006 for 12 days). His lung functions are lowering each year. Nutritionally speaking he is at a "failure to thrive" category. He has a G-tube in his stomach for overnight feeds.
He will be graduating high school in June. We were able to talk him into attending a community college for the first semester to give us more time to appeal and to allow him to have health insurance for a few more months. We can not afford his meds without health insurance.
Our social worker at the hospital is supposed to be emailing me some attorneys to call so that we can appeal.

My son just turned 19 in April. No, he does not have anything even remotely close to 2000.00 in assets. (no car, no money in the bank etc..)
They based it on his age, going to shool and holding a part time job. Stating that he can do all that so he was denied and that he has not been in the hospital enough. He has been in the hospital about 5 times since the age of 8each admission is about 12-18 days.(His last admission was 11/2006 for 12 days). His lung functions are lowering each year. Nutritionally speaking he is at a "failure to thrive" category. He has a G-tube in his stomach for overnight feeds.
He will be graduating high school in June. We were able to talk him into attending a community college for the first semester to give us more time to appeal and to allow him to have health insurance for a few more months. We can not afford his meds without health insurance.
Our social worker at the hospital is supposed to be emailing me some attorneys to call so that we can appeal.

before you use an attny. consider contacting your local social services agency. most have a unit that assist adults in the ssi application and appeal process at no charge.

the issue with your son is that they are looking at his current ability to be able to attend school and hold a pt job. these together may be equated to the demands a ft job would have on him-and since he appears (for ss purposes) to be able to handle that, they may be deeming him not totaly disabled.

it's one thing to be working after ss is granted-another if you are working while the application process is going on. ss has to verify that you are 'currently' disabled by their criteria-and with the exception of a few terminal illnesses they won't grant based on the presumption (or even doctor's reports) that your health is declining and that you will meet their full criteria down the road.

while you are dealing with his ssi app. you might look at also having him apply for your state's version of medicaid-you might also want to check your private insurance policy to see what provisions may be in place to retain your ds after he reaches whatever age they normaly would cut him off. some have the provision that a disabled adult child can stay on for several years just as they would if they were attending college full time (i think mine goes to age 26 if they remain my dependant and i can document their disability).

I agree with this statement. I work for an Independent Living Center and we advocate for people with disabilities including Social Security issues. These services are provided free of charge. There are ILC's located in every state. I would also try to prove that your son's disability impacts his quality of life. Can he do everything that his nondisabed coworks can do? Does his employer make any special accomodations for him? Social Security will need to know this.

For me to continue to receive SSDI while working and using my expenses due to my disability to continue to qualify for SSDI ( the IRWE = impairment related work expense program) I had to NOT be working at all to first apply for SSDI. If I had been working or able to work at that time, my application would have been denied. I have ALS which is a disability that will always qualify for payments and after I was placed on a vent, for a time I couldn't work until I adjusted to that and received all the necessary equipment and support services. I was told though that as long as I was making at least $500 a month, no matter what my disability, I was considered not to be disabled under SS rules as I had proven my ability to work. Going to school is the same thing. It's a shame that there is not the same support for someone trying to be gainfully employed or getting an education. I have often been told I'd have been better off if I'd never worked as then I'd have Medicaid, food stamps, and a housing subsidy plus SSI, which would all add up to a much greater benefit than I receive from SSDI, which I got from working all my life. What a slap in the face!---Kathy

I want to say sorry about hijacking the original thread but along with that I want to thank everyone for your input and great advice.

We will get started with the info you have provided and see where we go from here.

Chuck,

We are all here to share information and help out. Don't worry about the post taking a turn off. You were still talking about SSI and I sure do hope what has been posted helps your son and family.

I have gotten super information and when the time is right I will look for a little part time job.

All the best, April

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter