Working on Weight Loss and getting Lean!

Hey ladies!!!!!

Been a pretty good weekend, we have a new family member which is taking some getting use to. But he has been really good.

Jean How are you???? Congrats on the new grandbaby wow you have had a few busy years with weddings and now babies how awesome for you and your family. Sorry not sure what is going on with your pain but lots of PD coming your way for a quick resolution

Tandy WTG on getting a interview that is so awesome for you. Congrats on Harrisons job, sounds like you have a entrepenur on your hands

Maria How are you???? Haven't chatted in so long. That is so awesome on your mini TR, I definately have my sights on a sprint tri with the hopes of a 70.3 next year. Horrible about the princess weekend line ups that is nuts.

Hey to everyone have a awesome Sunday.

Hello all. I am hesitant to start posting again.....it always goes south when I do!

I don't want to burden you all about the last 6 months.....back surgery was 5/11, did physical therapy for about 4 months, took about 2 months completely off (pouting, since neither the doc or PT would say 'yes' to running) gained 20 pounds. Started back to Weight Watchers in Jan, and have lost 14 pounds (VERY slow weight loss). I am on Lyrica for my numb foot, and I think is causing slow weight loss. I started 'running' again (if you can call it that! I thought I was slow before! Haa....) It takes me 40 minutes to hit 3 miles!! Oh well, I feel more like myself than I have in a year!

The 'running' does come with some problems....the back pain I have is constant, and the only solution is additional back surgery with a fusion. If I have to go that route, there will be no more running ever.... So, for now I am making 'friends' with the back pain.

I also have the numb foot to deal with. It takes alot of concentration running to pick my foot up, and it is screwing with my gait....but I will take what I can get. Running keeps me sane.....there was alot of insantity when there was no running.

The Lyrica makes me very tired, and it doesn't seem to get better.....I am now thinking about stopping it, but the foot issue will get worse if I do.

Work is great, and Nancy is doing well.

Baseball never ended for me Tandy! We have been doing bb lessons and clinics since Fall ball ended! My youngest made a travel team with our first tournament March 17th! It will be a cold one, I am sure!

That's the catch up....short and sweet!

Beth

Beth! I am so happy to see you posting!

I'm sorry about your health, it sounds like it's been a long, hard road. But you made me smile in the middle of a tough day, just seeing your name!

Maria :upsidedow

Beth: I am SOOOO happy to see you! Welcome back. We have missed you and hoping for the best for you. I'm so sorry you are in constant pain and with a numb foot. :hug: What's causing the numbness? Did it have anything to do with the surgery? A slow runner is still a runner!

Kim: How's the new little guy doing? What's his name again? I'm so bad with this stuff. Sorry.

Maria: Okay, I have to ask, where are people posting that they're amazed a 44 year old can run a half? My god. Do they know that the average age of a marathon runner (female) is in her late 30s? Anyway, we are all awesome and old over here, thank you very much! I'm sorry the hotel experience was so bad. During marathon weekend last year, I not only never waited once for a bus (they were magically waiting for me), but then, they would drive off within 5 minutes and whisk me away to POFQ. I loved it. I will always stay there from now on. Sorry work's so crazy right now.

Jeanne: Thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope you're right!

AFM: I was sick and in bed ALL weekend. And, my weekends are 4 days long. I did manage 2 runs, but man, they hurt. Then, yesterday, Harrison and I ran 1.5 miles and he managed to hurt his heel so bad that we think he has PF and he's in my walking boot. I'm worried that the 10k is out for us, but who knows. He's young and heals quickly. :laughing:

I'm doing well other than sickness. And, feeling better today. I hope to run and go to zumba tomorrow.

I am getting seriously motivated to lose weight. There was a picture in my latest issue of Shape magazine of a woman that has the exact build I did back in the day. I want it back. :laughing:So, no more junk food and a lot more lifting are in my future. I was hoping to lose this last 7 pounds and then, reevaluate my body fat. I think it's way too high right now even though my weight isn't bad at all. That means a lot of clean eating. Boring, but we need to save the money of going out to eat anyway. ;)

Hey everyone!!!!!

Hi Beth, so sorry to hear of your health concerns. No one is ever a burden, we are all here to support each other, offer a shoulder to cry on, ear to listen or a kick in the butt whichever the situation requires:hug:,

Tandy, he is Jack....Capt Jack Sparrow ;) Stinks that you where sick all weekend and about Harrisons foot, as someone who has and still deals will PF it is extremely painful. Lots of PD coming your way.

Nothing new with me just popping in to say Hi!!!

Without further ado, let me finally get this mini TR started! :dance3:

Friday, February 24th – Day 1

My awesome adventure began when I got up at 4:15. The alarm was set for 4:30, but I guess I knew I would need more time, I always do! After the usual last minute additions and checks and a final look at the DIS, we headed for the airport. It really is 5 minutes away, particularly at 5:30 am. :drive:

I had no problem checking my luggage, and I was smiling because I wouldn’t see it again until my hotel room. I went to stand in an unbelievably long line at security, where a supervisor announced that other than him, it was all trainees working today. And it showed. ::yes::

I finally made it near my gate, and detoured to pick up a $4 bottle of water. I got the big one, ‘cause I knew I would be happy to have it in my room at some point. I was in the front of the plane, so one of the last to board. The flight was pretty uneventful, other than the weirdness of a family. The woman toddler and preschooler were in one row, the husband was behind them, and I was behind him. Every time the kids produced trash, she would pass it back over the seat. I’m not exactly sure what he was supposed to do with it? :confused3 I got to use my Kindle for the first time for any length of time, and I was hooked. How nice not to have books to carry around! I will still read print books at home, but I’m definitely a Kindle girl for travel now. My flight was 7:10 to 10ish, so direct and easy.

Arriving in Orlando is so surreal. The minute I step into the terminal I’m struck by how warm it is. Steamy! I quickly made my way down to ME, and got in line for ASMo. There were a ton of single or small groups of women travelling, many with very little body fat. Gee, whatever could have prompted this? princess:

I erroneously assumed my seatmate for the bus was not running, since she had a 1-yr. old on her lap. Kudos to her! Mom was coming to watch the baby while she and her friend ran the race. It was her first, so we chatted a little about it and all the fun in store. I approved her strategy of heading out for the buses before the race at 3:15. :thumbsup2

We parted ways at check-in, where I was fortunate to have a very considerate cast member, who surrounded by 20-somethings she had checked in for the race, was impressed with my experience with life. I did indeed get my ground floor preferred room, but it was on the backside away from the pool. Very nice and quiet, but still close to the buses and food court. She even called to get my room changed, because she wanted to make sure I had some peace at night. Loved her! :love:

I went to my room and got out my hipster to hit the Expo. By now it was noon, so I should have been hungry but I was too excited to eat. I left the room and stood there, then went back to get by race form. Yep, someone had already been up too long. :rolleyes1 Getting to the Expo was quick and pleasant. I mistakenly went into the Expo before the race registration, assuming it was like last year. I bought my new earbuds and took a quick swing through the Disney merchandise, nothing really caught my eye. I want back to registration and took care of that – confirmed, I am a Corral C gal! :yay:

Then I went back to the Expo. Nothing was really exciting me. I bought 3 bondibands in different colors (I wear 2 everytime I run to contain my thick hair), and a white singlet. Way too much was blue, and I also thought the designs were fugly. I could have gotten over the blue if the designs were cute. ::yes::

I left the Expo and headed back to ASMo, getting used to stopping at Sports and Music before because that will be my life. I went back to my room to lie down for awhile, my luggage was there but I decided I needed a nap more than unpacking. Apparently I didn’t quite nap long enough…but that’s coming soon.

I got a text from my DIS pal Rose (oh yeah, texted her when I landed and I think they were getting on Star Tours :yoda: or something equally fun!), that she and her prince, Mike, were in their room at AKL Kidani whenever I wanted to make my way there. Here is where I really messed up. I took the bus back to the Expo, and asked my driver where I could pick up the bus to AKL, since I didn’t see anything around me. He said there wasn’t a bus to AKL, and I had to go back to the All Stars, take a bus to AK, and then AKL. Stupid me, I was so out of it I just nodded my head. It made zero sense, but there you go. I finally made my way to AK, got off my bus, and I kid you not the sign changed to AKL. That was good, I was finally on my way to Rose and Mike, who met me with hugs and huge smiles. Our Rose looks so beautiful – and I don’t just mean because she’s fit. Even being glutened earlier in the week, she was shining with an inner light of good health.

We took the jungle trek back to their room (seriously, this was in another zip code), and I got to marvel at the DVC advantage. Their balcony had an amazing view of the savannah! I can’t even remember everything I saw – giraffes (babies!), warthogs, gazelles, etc. It was incredible, and really fun to catch up with Rose and Mike in person! We walked up to Jambo House and also looked out on the savannah there. This is a really magical place to stay, I’m just not sure I could get used to being so far away from everything but AK. After awhile we took a bus to the MK, then the boat to the GF. It took some doing, but we found the tail end of the DIS meet. Meh. Then we went up and had a drink in the lounge. Rose and I had a sparkling wine, and it was delicious! Really smooth, not too sweet, just perfect! I’m already planning another glass for January, if anyone wants to join us!

We walked down to Narcoossees, and had an extensive wait for our table. Seriously. It was so long Rose needed a snack to keep her blood sugar from dipping…it was worth the wait, but I still felt bad for her. So, we had a wonderful dinner, with a perfect table for watching Wishes. This was a magical experience! Oh, I almost forgot I got to see the water pageant for the first time, too, so that was really fun. After our amazing meal, we took the monorail back to the MK, and hopped on buses for our respective resorts. I thought about unpacking when I got back, but I was totally beat. I was in bed pretty quick, happy and excited to be on my adventure and after a wonderful evening with two great people. :flower3:

Maria: Great report so far. Glad you had so much fun. I haven't met Rose in person, but she seems wonderful online. I am waiting to hear about all the negative bus issues coming soon. :rolleyes1

Kim: Thanks. Harrison is doing much better now.

AFM: I finally had a pain free run. It was so shocking. I kept waiting for something somewhere to start hurting. :lmao: Things are going really well right now. Diets good, running's good, school's good. I just don't have much to report.

I'm not sick anymore, but my lungs are still burning when I run. I would like that to end soon.

It's spring break and I'm so excited to have a break. I have some kind of homework/project every day of my break, but it's a much slower pace. Harrison has a baseball camp starting tomorrow, so our schedule is going to be a little crazy. He has camp from 10-12 and I'm going to take the dog and walk during that time. Then, he's got a pitching lesson at 1, we go running at 2, and then a friend is coming over to work on a school project at 3. She's my zumba instructor, so she's staying until zumba and then, we'll both go to the class. We managed to get a social problems class together this semester and are enjoying getting to know each other outside of zumba.

Anyway, I hope everyone's doing well.

Hello all,

Just checking in to say "hi". Healthwise, I have had the month from hell, but thanks to several injections of steroids a few days ago, I am feeling wonderful again. It's a quick fix, I know, but Baby Greeky is coming soon and I simply HAVE to feel better for this event. I will be leaving for MI this Saturday and will be gone for a month. (Not to worry, I will have continuous internet once I arrive.) My grandbaby is due 3/30, but my daughter (the ironman!) is still running everyday and I am so afraid all her activity will bring on an early labor. I am her birth coach, so I would be devastated if I miss it.
I promise to keep you all posted.

Maria: love the trip report and am anxiously awaiting the next installment. I too have never actually met Rose or Mike, but I know they are fellow Ohanites. For some reason, we always seem to reigister for different events.

Tandy: any word on the nursing position?

Beth: so good to see you posting again. I'm sorry you have not been feeling well lately. I can certainly sympathize. Looking forward to seeing you in about a month and a half at Erik's wedding.

That's it for now, ladies.....hugs to all!

Jeanne! -- I am so glad you posted! That reminded me I need to move this along. Here's another segment! I will manage to post at least one each day this week until we are done, I promise...

Saturday, February 25th – Day 2

Despite going to bed at midnight and expecting to sleep in, I was up at 7. I used this time to unpack, make friends with Stacy again , and start to centralize my race gear. I had tucked everything but my shoes into a WISH sling bag, so it was just a matter of getting it out and setting up. If you can believe this, it is the first time I ever did that (the pre-packing all together), and I will definitely do it again. It helps to know that my 3rd package of clif bloks is hiding somewhere in that bag. :rotfl:

I got ready and headed over to HS – we had a late breakfast reservation on the Boardwalk. This morning the buses were running really well (may have had something to do with EMH there), and I was there very quickly. I took a few photos of a :smickey: sorcerer Mickey topiary, and let Rose and Mike know I had arrived. They quickly came out of the Studios, and we had a very pleasant walk to the Boardwalk. We had breakfast at Cat Cora’s, and it was fabulous! I had not eaten here since it was Spoodles, and I thought the menu was great. I had French toast that was to die for, I literally ate every bite on my plate. I won’t go into detail about Rose’s amazing GF food, but I will say my fruit side was diced cantaloupe, pineapple and honeydew, and that was the base of her fruit side, which had gorgeous strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries. I probably sound a little jealous, and I guess I would be, but honestly, seeing what she has to go through just to eat, I’m pleased they make an extra effort for GF guests. They deserve some pampering. It should not be that hard to have a Mickey waffle… :sad2:

After breakfast, I headed back to my resort to rest for a bit, and they headed to AK (I think?):confused3 – anyway, they went to a Park. First I went out by the pool with the Kindle to read, and that was nice. Well, it would have been nicer if I had had the energy to take myself to one of the quiet pools. The yellow jackets (they are actually cast members, but as annoying as insects), were out in full force keeping the constant pool games going. It is not a good spot if you just want to rest and relax. After an hour, I went back to my room and I laid down for a bit and caught up on some sleep, which was an excellent idea. My rest concluded, I got up and dressed for the 4pm DIS meet. I headed over to DTD, and did a little shopping before the meeting at the carousel. I was disappointed because I didn’t find a new Belle ornament, and I usually get one each time I visit. Actually, there wasn’t much merchandise that was exciting me. I ended up with a pair of large Mickey-head earrings, and that was about it. I think with the switch to a great volume of cheaply made goods, it’s harder to find something special. Not impossible, but harder. I was also disappointed because the carrot cake cookies I love so were not in evidence at Goofy’s. DTD was not turning out as I had hoped. I was really glad I did go back and rest rather than try to spend 3 hours before the meet hanging out. :rolleyes1

The DIS meet was a great chance to connect with friends I hadn’t seen in a year – several of my Ohana teammates (Mel, JenB -- who brought her friend George, Rose and Mike!), the ubiquitous Tracey, Carrie, and also meet some new folks, like the funloving Dagny. It started to get a little chilly, and I was determined to be in bed earlier this year. So, I headed back to ASMo for a pasta dinner and an early night. After I did a final check with my race gear I set my alarm for 2:45, ordered my Stitch :stitch: wakeup call, and I was ready to get a good night’s rest. :thumbsup2

Every year I learn a little more about my pre-race day. I know I need to keep it light with little movement and plenty of opportunity to rest. It’s just really hard when you are at the Mouse as infrequently as I am, you just want to do everything! :blush:

Maria: loving the report! Now you have me dying to go to Cat Cora's for breakfast. I have been there for dinner twice and loved it both times. They have a spicy seafood chowder as a main dish that is to die for!

I am just hanging out in MI biding my time. My daughter is still working and I am relishing the time I have to catch up with my reading and posting. She was particularly ornery this morning ( very much unlike her) so I am reading that as a pre-delivery symptom. It will be anytime now. Keep you posted.

Jeanne -- Enjoy this time before little Greeky makes an appearance. You are going to be a Grandma! :dance3:

Sunday, February 26th – Race Day!

I was up with my alarm, no problems, so that’s always a good sign. Stitch :stitch: and Mickey wished me a Magical Day, and I got dressed, grabbed my food, and headed for the buses. It was 3:15, and I practically walked on without any issue. I always feel a little out of it when I don’t have a bus buddy, but it was ok. Before I knew it we were at Epcot, no traffic nightmares like last year. Going out at 3:15 does make a big difference. I went to the W tent, but it was overset with WDW Run folks, not a WISHer in sight. :confused3 I went through security and headed for the front gate area by the port a potties. I found Mel, Rose and Mike and Tracey camped out. It was a little chilly, I was glad I had my throwaway clothes. :cold: I ate my breakfast of TLC bar and banana, and enjoyed the pre-race banter. Carrie joined us after awhile, she looked ready to run. Oh, and Rose’s tutu was spectacular! ::yes::

Finally the gates opened, and we headed for our corrals. Rose left us at C, headed for her superior slot in A! :snooty: Mike and I were joined by Mel, Carrie, JenB and her friend George as we waited. Here is where I made my first mistake. Everyone was standing around chatting, and I did, too. The chatting was fine, but I should have sat because it was too long on my legs. I have to remember I am not in the shape these other people are :sad2:, and I require other things. It’s not like I would have felt out of place, Carrie was stretching quite a bit, and there were plenty of other people on the ground. I will remember that for my next race. The other thing that was so interesting about the wait, was they entertainment. They kept interviewing pageant winner ladies with progressively larger crowns. Seriously, some of those must have been held on with duct tape. :rolleyes: It is great they were there and racing. I’m not sure I would have necessarily called it inspirational, but I’m probably not the target audience. :rolleyes1

After 2 fireworks displays and moving up, we were finally off! Now, I knew almost immediately that I was having issues. I could tell I needed a bathroom, and I knew a real one wasn’t available until the MK, but it seemed like a good idea to wait for one. :blush: So, I had a pretty uncomfortable start. I knew I was slow, it didn’t feel great, but I kept moving. After a 6 min stop at the bathrooms in Tomorrowland (way too long, but needed), I was able to pick up my pace and feel better. The rest of the race was pretty uneventful. I saw a ton of photo ops, and one new one was the guys proposing with slippers (or a tennis shoe!), it was really cute. I realized that I had lost too much time to make my goal of under 3 hours at my pace, but there was nothing for it but to keep going. I was kind of demoralized, but I did try to go as fast as I could. :sad1:

I finished in 3:03, and headed for a massage. I really lucked out, I paid for 20 minutes, but got more like 40. She just kept working on me, and I greatly appreciated it. I left and met Rose and Mike at the W tent. I don’t think anyone in our little group had a stellar race, although for George it was his first Half and he was smiling pretty big! He ran in a lime green long skirt for charity, so kudos to him! My mistake at the massage was not to get a heat blanket. I got in the unbelievably long line for the All Stars, and I was so miserable. I got lucky in that Kathy, another Ohana teammate did not want to wait at the end of the line, so she came up to me to wait together. Poor Kathy had been to the medical tent, so she had a heat blanket. They weren’t giving them out unless you had a medical need. It was raining and cold, and I was getting miserable. Kathy pulled out a poncho she carried through the race, and gave me her heat blanket. I was so grateful, what a blessing she was to me! :hug:

We rode back to the All Stars, she got out at Sports and prepared to spend a little time in the Parks before she caught her flight home. I continued to ASMo, and found my way back to my room and a shower. I was pretty disappointed, and feeling really down. I know I can do a half in under 3 hours, but my last 2 did not hold up that result. I’m crying now just thinking about it, it was rough. After a pep talk from Dennis, and other WISHers via text, I felt a bit better. Dennis pointed out my splits after the bathroom were very good, and once I got over my issue, I had a strong race for me. :thumbsup2

Refreshed and feeling better, I headed for DHS. I rode Star Tours :yoda: for the first time since the refurb, and I went to Hoth! Then I had something to prove to myself since I didn’t manage the race in under 3, I had to do something brave…so I rode ToT for the first time. Maybe my last time, too, but I did it! ;)

Thankfully by then it was time for the Beauty and the Beast show. The mammaries were out and about, apparently this is a great place for lunch for out littlest mouseketeers. The show left me smiling hugely, and I did another trip on Star Tours :chewy:, this time ending up at Coruscant (that’s the planet with the galactic congress and seat of power, for those of you who didn’t eat, sleep and breathe Star Wars like I did at age 10). I decided I was done of the Studios, and took the boat to Epcot. I was just too spent to walk. Once I entered, I made a beeline for France, and helped myself to a chocolate mousse. Delicious! I also picked up a dark sea salt caramel at the shop in Germany. For me, this is the only reason to stop in Germany…

I decided time was getting short, so I’d better head to the front of the Park. I rode Spaceship Earth, and then exited for the AKL bus. I had another long bus wait, but it was looking good. I texted Rose I was on my way to the big post-race dinner at Boma! I made it there and we were a fun group – Rose, Mike, Dagny, Carrie and her friend (who’s name escapes me, sorry!), and me! What a wonderful tradition this has turned out to be. It was a great time for everyone, and I’m so glad I had another chance to hang out with the group. I ate too much too soon after barely eating all day, and I started to feel a little nauseous (I have a feeling I also looked a little green). Dagny offered to give me a ride in her rental car back to ASMo, and I wasn’t going to turn that down – the bus transfers were getting old when I didn’t feel well. So, after a fabulous meal we all parted company. I ended up back at ASMo and ready for bed, with a plan to sleep in and then do some serious Park touring the next day. :cloud9:

Hello Leanies... Boy, is the DIS slow tonight...

I'm back after a WDW vacation and the usual time off with pre- and post-trip lags in posting. I also experienced a hard-drive crash last weekend (second in a year and a half); although I'd backed up things, it's just the kind of experience that - no matter how smooth - takes up my time. I'm now shopping for my replacement for my laptop; it's just a lemon-ish model I got.

Jackie: Just catching up on all your successes here. I'm so happy you had the best race of your life, are in a new league, and that your health and weight have followed in your running footsteps. I know I keep saying this, but well-earned, well-earned! And your naturally, wonderfully competitive side gets to be channeled in your racing schedule! How many halfs do you have scheduled for this year?

Maria: You earned that lovely medal with the jewels! As for race photos - don't beat yourself up. I say that, but I know the unpleasant shock I experience every year, thinking "I look like that?" :hug: I'm also sorry about the AS resort experience. It's just not worth the stress.

Great, great TR. I love reading them and appreciate that you put so much thought and detail into it. It was very cool that you and Rose & Mike were able to get together; they're so fun, just like you! And you certainly make GF food sound tantalizing. And the TR is a great way for you to record what you need out of pre-, race and post-race days; I could take a clue from you. Odd note: I didn't know you collect Belle ornaments, but that makes perfect sense.

About your race - I know all about the post-race blues. So glad that Dennis was able to point out that you had strong splits to help you put things in perspective. :hug: And I loved that you take away from your race not only the running memories but new memories with friends old and new. *Sigh* :cloud9:

Wow, that new proposal sounds like a great opportunity if also very stressful! Lots and lots of work - I hope everyone knows how lucky they are to have you!

Vicky: First, of course you're a gym rat! I assumed that you didn't have access to your gym without a membership - here our gym requires membership on top of any fees paid to the PT. I don't know where I thought you were meeting with your PT. So, to clarify - you work out with both your trainer and your chiro? Do you prefer metabolic or body weight training? And how is your knee? I hope all is well and that you can continue impressing me with your speed!

Kim: CONGRATS on the 20 pounds! That's fabulous! And the cutting out the pop again; I'm in that phase myself, hoping it will hold this time. I didn't know you were planning a sprint tri - you talented multi-athletes impress me. And the sprint tri as prep for a 70.3. :scared1::worship: How exciting to have a new family member - welcome to Jack!

Jeanne: I just posted this on 'Ohana, but has the grandbaby arrived? And I think it's so cool that you're the birth coach - I wish I had that kind of relationship with my mother. And I love that you're both hard-core athletes! Must be genetic, huh?

Beyond that, how are you feeling? Did you get the cortisone shot? I totally realize we might not hear from you for a few days - the family's newest arrival could be happening as I write!

P.S. Never read Ishmael...sorry! (Not even on my reading list! :rotfl:)

Tandy: We have actually put house hunting on hiatus. Without going too much into it, DOOD's university is going through a time of instability (external audit, more budget cuts, the college of liberal arts being told departments will be eliminated). We really don't know what it means but are hoping for some clarity this summer. So, between that and our schedule, I guess we're in a holding pattern. *Sigh*

But onto more important things - you, your semester, nursing program, your Europe trip! Have you heard yet about the program? It's a bit early to hear yet, but the suspense must be killing you!

Congrats on keeping up with all things active during this busy time, including Harrison's baseball (and whoo hoo to the young entrepreneur)! How is your running coming, and Harrison's? I hope you're both injury free, 10K or not. I'm amazed at how busy your spring "break" was - that's a break?! :rotfl2:

Beth: It's wonderful to hear from you, even if it comes with such a heartbreaking account of all you've been through. :hug: I'm so sorry to hear that your running is coming at such a cost and that the Lyria has such side effects. That you're moving forward despite all this just shows your dedication and strength.:thumbsup2 And I'm impressed with your focus on overall health, including weight loss, and you serve as a model to follow. I'm so, so glad to see you here again! You've been missed!

AFM: The first part of the year has been, well, challenging. Not as challenging as many of your experiences but frustrating. I've lost quite a bit of running conditioning, but am coming back. The toe is still tender, but not distracting. It is, however, causing some fitting issues - I'm in my oldest running shoes as I need the widest toe box I have. (Tell me, do these running shoes make my toes look fat...'cuz they are. :rotfl2:)

But I'm slowly moving again, which is off my self-imposed schedule for running from my post-January assessment. And I ate and drank too much while at Disney, and slept and lolled too, as I remained sick while on vacation. Best laid plans and all.

I'm up to shuffling 4 miles on my long runs, but the speed just isn't there yet; the toe likes to walk and my running gait has a different pronation that's a bit uncomfortable. This, too, will pass.

But April is a new month, for more focus and determination, right? To that end, I've been pretty focused since I got back from Disney on the WO and eating front - and have lost 4 pounds so far. I'm hoping to keep that up. Been eating mostly clean, too, and feeling pretty good about the food aspect if not my current body fat %.

It helps in hitting those goals that I've reworked some travel plans. I decided to bag at least one trip with DOOD. He's in Ogden right now, with students, and I decided not to upset my schedule to accompany him. I'm still planning on going to Oxford, though, because...well, because it's England. Even though hanging out with undergraduates has zero interest for me. :lmao:

Okay, that's all for now. Unless you all have seen "The Hunger Games." Boy, I'd love to talk to someone about that, esp. if you've read the books. Of course, it could be that the movie title speaks to me these days. :rotfl2:

Debra - Me, me! Saw "Hunger Games" on opening day. And am ready to go back. Read all three books in a little over a week. I admit to a certain bias, since they filmed the movie here in NC, but I don't think that matters too much...

Beth - It was very good to hear from you. I am SO sorry you've had such a difficult time. I wish I could spout some magical encouraging words like you used to do for all of us when we were going through tough times, but you were the queen of positive spin! At least there is some improvement, and it was good to hear you say you feel more like yourself. :thumbsup2

Jeanne - Baby yet?

Will finish responses to everyone else later - am at work and need to cut this short...

Signed up for the Richmond Marathon. Yeah, I know. I was done with fulls. That was two marathons ago...

Jackie

Hi team. Sorry I've been gone for so long. It's been really busy in my world but it's good news.

Jackie: I loved the books too. I'm still waiting on the 3rd cause I get them from the library (I'm soooo cheap), but I read the first one in a day and when I finally got the 2nd one, I read it in a day. I am not that excited about the movie, but understand why everyone else is.

Maria: I really enjoyed your RR. Sorry you had GI issues. I had all kinds of troubles when I first started running, but figured out that I pretty much shouldn't eat before I run. Of course, that's not good when you're running more than about 6 to 8 miles. Sorry about the busses. That stinks.

Oh and congratulations on conquering ToT! It's one of my favorites.

Debra: I'm glad to hear that you're running again, but sorry that the progress is slow. You know as well as I do that after a long hiatus, we pretty much have to start over again. :mad:

Body fat is something that's making me mad right now so I can sympathize. I work and work and work, but then, I eat and eat and eat! So, I'm thin, healthy and have lots of muscle, but I also have a high bfp too and want to fix that.

So, what subject is DOOD a professor of? Going to England would be great. I have to hang out with undergrads all day, so I know what you mean! ;) I spend a lot more time talking to my professors than my classmates.

Jeanne: Well????????? We're waiting for news.

AFM: I have been crazy busy with school. But, Saturday, I finally got my acceptance letter and am an official nursing student!!!!! Finally! Today is summer enrollment, so I'm fighting with our system to get in and enroll.

Running is getting better. I had a bad day where I decided to put in 13.5 miles with 10 of those being a run. The sciatic nerve issue reared it's ugly head again, but I got it done. I've stayed around the 2 to 4 mile range since then.

My eating has been horrible. Weight is up and I'm feeling gross. But, ready to get it under control again. I want to be my goal weight by the time I start summer semester.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Oh dear, I just typed up a lengthy post on my ipad and somehow lost the entire thing. Trying again on my daughter's computer. Sorry I didn't post sooner, but as you can imagine it's been a whirlwind around here. Constantine Sotirois (we'll call him Connor) arrived 4 days late at 6:24 pm Tuesday, 4/3. He weighed 8 lbs. 7 oz. and was 22 inches long. What a thrill it was to be there for the entire blessed event. I am just in awe at the miracle of life. Both mother and baby are doing splendidly. My daughter ran until one day past her delivery date. And then we spent a good deal of time just walking the next 2 days in hopes of bringing on labor. Needless to say, my feet haven't touched the ground ever since. It will be so hard to leave in 2 weeks. I am unable to post photos until I get home, but there are several on FB and if you are not yet my friend, just send me a request and I will accept it.
Then, as if that weren't enough excitement, my older son who is a cinematographer, appeared on last night's Celebrity Apprentice as part of the crew who helped create one of the team (Unanimous) videos. So exciting!
But enough about me......

Maria: I get so sad when you beat yourself up over such insignificant things. I know it s frustrating when we fall short of our goals, but you need to see the whole picture. You are am amazing woman who takes care of a family, holds a very important full-time job and has become an incredible athlete and inspiration to others. In addition, you are a compassionate and generous human being. You will always be a hero to me. Furthermore, a 3:03 is a time that is way beyond my own realm of possibilities, so I am in awe.

Richard: Congrats on your most recent half IM and your incredible time. You keep getting better and better.....what a lean machine you have become! Kudos to you.

Jackie: sorry to hear about your recent tumble. I hope nothing is broken and you are not in any pain. Knowing you, you'll be out running with your Galloway group before the week is over!

Tandy: Yay! congrats on the nursing acceptance.....I never had any doubt! and so proud of you for continuing your long run even though the sciatic issues. Good job!

Beth: looking foward to seeing you soon!

That's it for now......promise to keep you updated.

My internet has been down, and I still owe you guys a few pages of mini TR...I hope to get that up this week, when ds is on April vacation and I was able to take a few days off...

Jeanne -- How can I be sad with friends like you in my corner? Connor is one precious little dude, Congratulations! :woohoo:

Tandy -- I just got the Hunger Games from the library (yep, I generally don't pay for books, either...). I'm looking forward to reading it. Did I read you got into the nursing program?! Awesometastic! :yay:

Jackie -- My dh seems to have this "marathon sickness" :sick: , too. He is very disappointed he couldn't score a bib for Boston this year. So much so he committed to WDW marathon weekend, so he would be sure to get a Full in next year. No complaints from me!

Debra -- Are you seeing exciting results from your laser focus? I know you have limitless determination! Thanks for your kind words. A little time and perspective is good. My next Half isn't until August, so I have plenty of time to train hills, get back my stamina, lose more weight, and :rockband:

:wave2: to Beth, Kim, and Vicky -- hope you are doing well!

So, the exciting news in my world -- I registered Dennis and I today for marathon weekend -- we are totally IN! Now I just have to decide where to stay. I'm leaning towards POR, I just love that resort. We've stayed twice for marathon weekend, and had really good luck. I know we will not be at CSR, we stayed there one year and it was just too far from everywhere we wanted to go. :confused3

And, wonder of wonders, miracle of miracles -- I was able to convince Dennis to do a family vacation to WDW! We are incorporating a trip to see his sister (the good one ;) ) and my elderly aunt who is not well (hey, whatever I have to use to get to the Mouse). Best news -- we will be there Aug. 26 -31, and we are staying at AoA! So psyched! We have a Finding Nemo suite, and I was able to get free dining! Dennis will not enter the Parks, so I will take his ticket and use it in January. I'm paying rack rate for the room anyway, and the difference in the discount ticket seller and Disney for my ticket and ds's is $35 -- I'm willing to pay that for Free Dining! :woohoo:

Everyone have a wonderful weekend! See Ya Real Soon!

Tandy - Congratulations on being accepted into the nursing program! I know that's a huge accomplishment, as well as a major step forward in your plans. Now the real fun can begin!

Jeanne - CONGRATULATIONS! All around, apparently. Connor is adorable. And of all the nights... I've been DVRing Celebrity Apprentice, but Bill was watching something else, and I was trying to record two shows, and I told him to cancel Apprentice since I wasn't really watching it any more. Then I find out your son was in the episode... :sad: (Of course, Annie says "watch it on Hulu," but I can only do so much to keep up with shows!) And yes, I ran with my mini-group on Wednesday night, and then ran the RunRaleigh Half today. I'm either stubborn or stupid, depending on who you talk to...

Tandy/Maria - Annie had requested the entire trilogy from the library, but by the time book 1 came in, she'd borrowed it from a friend. So I read it, and was hooked. She'd already bought the second one on Google Books, so I used her account to read that one, so I only paid for the third one on Google Books. Hunger Games also was the first time I've ever read anything electronically, having sworn I would never do such a thing, and am completely hooked. As a rule, I don't pay for books either. At any given time, I have 10-20 books on request from the library.

Maria - We just booked a family vacation at WDW too! I wanted to go for my birthday (there seems to be a really, really big one this year,) but Annie insists that she come along, so we're going over her fall break, which will be a month after my birthday. We're still calling it a birthday trip. We're staying at POR in the new Royal rooms - we looked at AoA, but couldn't justify the suite. And unfortunately, we miss free dining by a week! And I'm ever so patiently waiting for the rest of your trip report...

Debra - After today, there is only one more half on the schedule now. A bunch of us are running one called "The Scream" in July in the NC mountains - 2400 feet of descent in 13.1 miles. I'd originally planned to do back to back halfs/halves? in November to up my status in Half Fanatics, but derailed that plan when I signed up for the Richmond Full instead of the Half!

As some of you saw on FB, I had a major fall last weekend, complete with firemen, paramedics, and LOTS of blood. They initially thought my nose was broken, but apparently it was just bruised, cut, and scraped all to ****. It needed one little stitch to put it back together. It was an entirely new experience, not one that I recommend, but a learning one.

And now time for my PSA - if you don't have a Road ID, or something similar, get one. Even if you're running with friends who know you, your name, your husband's name, they may only have his number in their cell phone which they may not carry on a run. And when you're lying on the pavement, even if you're conscious, reeling off phone numbers isn't the easiest thing. And answering all the "do you have any allergies" questions could have been prevented by showing that stupid armband which I have and wasn't wearing!

But the fall was a great weight-loss technique. My mouth was so sore for several days that I only ate soup, or very little solid food overall, and I lost about 4 pounds!

We're evaluating next year's race schedule. Have pretty much committed to returning to Jacksonville to do the 26.2 with Donna - haven't decided between half and full. Bill's throwing around some CRAZY idea about doing Goofy again... don't know if he's talking 2013 or 2014. I told my running buddy that I didn't intend to do another Disney race unless she or another one of our local friends wanted to do it. It's just not worth the money to return. And if we do, I expect we might just run and skip the parks. Especially if we go in October!

Ran a half today (yep, 8 days after busting up my face, my knees, my hands, and my shoulder) - had planned to do it just for fun, and then about mile 6 one of the women running with me started having problems. Turns out she was severely dehydrated, but all we knew was that she was on the verge of dropping. She had goosebumps, and it was ghastly hot and humid. I slowed down and stayed with her, after we dumped bottles of water on her head, and we had a leisurely stroll to the finish. Still managed a 2:48, which was a PR for her. The group I'd started with finished in 2:32, so that's probably where I WOULD have finished. Great inaugural race for the city - organized by one of the female police officers who coordinates their presence in all the races.

Jackie

Monday, February 27th – Day 4 Part 1 Epcot

My plan today was to enjoy both Epcot and MK. MK had evening EMH until 1am, so I started at Epcot. It was just me and a family on the ride over, and the wife was about 6 mos pregnant. They had signed up for the Princess princess:, but then they got pregnant quicker than they thought…anyway, we were chatting about the race and how much fun it is. That helped me put it in perspective. :goodvibes

I was in line for the Opening Ceremony, and I caught one of the streamers they shot out. I passed it back to a little girl who had caught the end. I made it through the turnstiles, and I was off! :cool1:

My strategy was to start at the Land. I grabbed a fast pass for Soarin’, and then the line was so short, I rode it, too. Then I headed over to Test Track. Again, no line, on I went. I finished the trifecta with Mission Space (orange, of course!). And then paused…I walked up to Ellen’s Energy Adventure, but I still can’t bring myself spending 45 minutes on a ride no one says is worth it :rolleyes1, so it will have to remain a mystery to me. I rode Spaceship Earth again, I love trying out the various futures. I had some time, so I went back to the Land and rode the produce tour. I like it. For some reason I got off the Land and I was starving! I ended up eating an entire bounty breakfast from sunshine seasons :blush: On the bright side it was 11:30, so that pretty much counted as lunch. Then I rode Soarin’ again. I decided to visit Nemo :fish: As usual I was amazed at the stroller collection outside the pavilion. :eek:

By this time, the World Showcase was opening! I didn’t have any interest in our neighbors to the North, so I walked back to Italy and started forward. I enjoyed the Italian statues, and thought about another stop in Germany, but I just wasn’t feeling it:confused3 . I went to China and bought a 3-bag cosmetic set. Now I have something that was made in China :lmao:. I know you are all jealous. I rode the Maelstrom and the River of Caballeros (yes, that is what I call it), and then back to the front.

Time to head back to AsMo for little rest. No issues with buses this time, and I was able to relax and have a quick read/nap. I probably should have napped longer, but it was hard enough to make myself take this rest. Next it was off to the MK! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter