Working part time at Disney after I retire

When my son did the college program he thought he would have a great time visiting whenever he wanted. He quickly found out that it's not as much fun when you work there.
Hopefully, as a college student, he knew the meaning of the word disillusionment. ;)

Is it worth working at Disney part time after I retire and what are the perks? I’m sure it’s not money
Be aware, most CMs do not discuss perks on open forums. I'm sure there are some who continue to visit the parks, even after they work there. The draw may be that they don't have to do "everything" every time they visit.

Is the discount rate public knowledge?
Just curious what it is?

I often hear people talk about moving to FL when they retire and then working at WDW. I only know one person who actually attempted but didn't get hired.
I think when I retire I'd just rather move down there and visit the park as a guest.
I don't think I'd have it in my at retirement age to deal with some of the guests :lmao:

:lmao: I feel you. Ours got accepted off the wait-list to the 51st best university in Canada and we are thrilled!! :cheer2: After having been rejected by the same school twice. We were seriously starting to consider buying him a spot on the rowing team...
He started off at community college because he had no idea what he wanted to major in. He did the college program from there and he finally figured out the direction he wanted to go. It took him an extra year to graduate, but it worked out pretty well in the long run. I honestly wasn't sure he'd make it past his first year. Pretty darn proud of him to say the least.

When my son did the college program he thought he would have a great time visiting whenever he wanted. He quickly found out that it's not as much fun when you work there.

I use to work at The Disney Store in Boston while in college and had a chance to transfer to WDW and didn't. The main reason I didn't was the highlighted. I've talked to people who did the college program, and some loved heading to the parks when not working, and I'm sure I would have loved taking my time and explore, but the magic would have worn off rather quickly.

ETA: However, if you were to work at a resort checking guests in, or some place that's not in the parks itself, then I think that would work.

Last edited:
Start by asking yourself- At retirement age will you feel like being on your feet in the heat and humidity, wearing a uniform that might not be the most comfortable, dealing with irritable guests asking the same question repeatedly? If you answered "Yes" then a CM retirement position is right for you! :earboy2:

Seriously, I think the retirees in charge of the Friendship boats between Boardwalk-Epcot-DHS have an awesome retirement gig.

Start by asking yourself- At retirement age will you feel like being on your feet in the heat and humidity, wearing a uniform that might not be the most comfortable, dealing with irritable guests asking the same question repeatedly? If you answered "Yes" then a CM retirement position is right for you! :earboy2:

Seriously, I think the retirees in charge of the Friendship boats between Boardwalk-Epcot-DHS have an awesome retirement gig.

I met a retiree when I visited 17 years ago, sadly he's probably passed by now, but he ran the boats from Downtown Disney (as it was known then) to POFQ and Riverside. He loved it and thought was an amazing gig. Heck, I'd love a gig like that. He did say that with retirees, Disney tend's to keep them on the same schedule.

My mom's friend retired and moved to florida and now works a couple days a week at Disney. He does it for the extra income and to get out of the house. He will take his granddaughter to the parks when she comes for a visit, but other than that doesn't seem to go very often. He enjoys it though.

I'm retired now (have been for 4 years) and the last thing I would even want to do is go work at the place I used to spend a lot of money to visit. I loved taking the boys to WDW many many times but work there.....nope. :earsgirl:

I worked many service jobs in my teens/college years - fast food, waitressing, coffee shops, retail. I just can't imagine going back to the shift work, fugly uniforms, rude people, sore feet, working holidays, not getting enough vacation time, minimum wage at retirement age. Seems like a step backwards.

I mean if you're in your 70s, is there a better retirement gig than Disney? Unless you own a business, I can't think of anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter