World of Color Superthread

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
If anyone finds this thread, all information has been superceded by a new thread here:

"World of Color Superthread" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=37986447

The thread below was created before World of Color debuted to provide information and rumor. Now that WOC is actually showing the information here is obsolete - except to show how much speculation existed beforehand.

Most recent update to this thread: June 14, 2010.

Great photo from Disney and link to MiceChat's DCA Project Tracker:

WOC-Announce.jpg

World of Color has opened!

Early reports make World of Color sound like it is going to be the blockbuster show Disney intended!

There are videos of test runs online and I have a link below to a thread that offers that. Personally, I do not want to see it on video first. I want to see it live. So I am avoiding all WoC videos until July. :)

Recent DIS threads and other links on WoC:

June 15 - Al Lutz Update: World of Color (how did you guess?) and Glow Fest

June 14 - World of Color Viewing Advice in MousePlanet's Weekly Update

June 14 - MiceChat's weekly Dateline on World of Color

June 14 - A great hi-res photo of the viewing area from MousePlanet's Update

June 14 - Links to all DIS Unplugged World of Color Articles

June 13 - Guinea Pig Reserved Dining Reporting Back!

My Take on WOC

WOC Third show added for TONIGHT! The Premier.

June 10 - Disney's FAQ's on World of Color

June 8 - Larger-Than-Life Carnivale-Style Puppets Kick Off the Party at ‘World of Color’ Pre-Show

June 7 - DIS Unplugged live coverage starting June 10 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2482412

June 7 - From MiceChat early WOC Reviews - http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/138192-world-color-reviews-photos-official-thread.html

June 7 - From MiceChat Update - http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/da...%97-world-color-glow-fest-promoting-more.html

June 7 - Glow Fest on MousePlanet - http://www.mouseplanet.com/9281/Disneyland_Resort_Update#news3

June 7 - Picnic option for rerserved viewing - http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=147618

June 7 - MousePlanet - The WOC strategy guide thread

June 3 - DIS Info - http://www.wdwinfo.com/california-adventure/california-adventure-entertainment.htm

June 2 - World of Color Viewing Tips - http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/world-of-color-viewing-tips/

June 2 - DIS Thread Official Disney Info re: World of Color FastPass, Dining, & General "walk-up" Viewing

June 1 - Al Lutz Update

May 28 - www.disneysworldofcolor.com

May 28 - Soft openings on June 8 and 9? http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=36796742&postcount=396

May 27 - http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/05/27/world-of-color-dining-packages-announced/

May 27 - DIS Thread World of Color Dining Packages Announced

May 10 - Disney Official WOC Page - http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/calendar/specialEvents/detail?name=WorldOfColor

May 10 - Forget Showpass - Call it World of Color Fastpass

May 6 - DCA Hours Extended to 11PM When World of Color Opens

May 4 - Al Lutz Update

April 26 - MousePlanet info and updates about WOC Dining Packages

April 26 - MiceAge Weekend Update with WoC Info

April 20 - Disney blog report

Latest From Al Lutz...WoC June 10th Firming Up, Soft Openings in mid-May?

Photos and Commentary of World of Color Viewing Area

New Al Lutz: Lots of World of Color News (debuting June 10), Bye-Bye Maliboomer

World of Color - How Will This DCA Show Impact DL Crowds?

World of Color playing in Winter?

June trip-WOC questions to start with...

World of Color video

Wikipedia

D23 - The Making of World of Color - Part 1 of 5

DIS Info - Parades and Shows - California Adventure Park

Orange County Register Update

FAQs

What is World of Color?

World of Color is a night time spectacular water show that debuted at Disney's California Adventure park on June 11, 2010. It shows in DCA's Paradise Pier lagoon (aka Paradise Bay).

On April 20 Disney reported the following:

Lights, water, music, fire and animation will come together like never before on June 11 when “World of Color” makes its dazzling debut at Disney’s California Adventure theme park. The show is choreographed with revolutionary technology that creates a playful, nighttime spectacular and a new way for guests to experience Disney stories – from the charming to the adventurous.

Presented on Paradise Bay in Disney’s California Adventure park, “World of Color” is a major milestone in the multi-year expansion of the park. The show combines nearly 1,200 powerful fountains, popular Disney music and an all-new kaleidoscope of audio and visual effects, including both classic and new animation projected on massive screens of water. “World of Color” floods the senses and takes the audience on an imaginative, emotional journey into the colorful worlds of Disney classics, such as “The Lion King” and “The Little Mermaid,” along with Disney•Pixar films including “Toy Story” and “WALL-E.”

“What’s great about ‘World of Color’ is there’s something for everybody,” said Steve Davison of Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment.

“World of Color” will take water-infused entertainment to a new level of artistry. Disney’s newest production features an unprecedented infrastructure of water effects, larger-than-life projections, lasers, fire, fog, surround sound and moving fountains that can shoot spouts from 30 feet to 200 feet high. Technical wizardry integrates all the media with one of the biggest show control systems ever built; more than 18,000 active points of control are precisely managed by a single system.

At what times will the show be offered and how many shows will happen each night?

Two shows are scheduled each night at 9PM and 10:15PM. Except for grad nights. So far an unscheduled third show at 11:30PM has been offered.

According to Al Lutz Disney is planning to keep DCA open until 11PM and holding a third World or Color showing at 11:30PM. However, they are concerned that if they overestimate demand for the show then the 11:30 show will be empty and WOC will get bad publicity. So when they are certain 11:30 will fill up they will "extend" DCA hours to 11PM and hold the 11:30 showing.

Historically DCA has closed at 9PM during summer and sometimes at 10PM.

Will there be seating for World of Color?

No. A new viewing area was constructed in Paradise Pier to accomodate standing guests. WoC will be viewed like Disney fireworks by finding a spot to stand. See this link for current photos Photos and Commentary of World of Color Viewing Area.

A great hi-res photo of the viewing area

How many people can watch World of Color at a time?

The viewing area was designed to handle 9,000 people. However, early reports from Al Lutz are that the area will only handle 6000. The June 1 report says they will only have 4000 per show. Others may be able to watch around Paradise Pier lagoon. If so the views and sound will not be optimal. Disney may close Paradise Pier so this may not be possible at all.

Will there be reservations?

Yes. On May 27 Disney Dining began accepting World of Color dining reservations for Ariel's Grotto and Wine Country Trattoria. See http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2010/05/27/world-of-color-dining-packages-announced/

Last week a "picnic" reservation option was added - see http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=147618

How can I see World of Color?

1. Get a Fastpass first thing in the morning. Third show FPs have reportedly been available in the afternoon.

2. Get a dining packages with reserved WOC standing spots.

3. If you have access to the DCA lagoon viewing area at the GCH DVC units then watch from there. The viewing angle is reportedly poor.

4. If you have a GCH hotel room with a view of the PP lagoon you may be able to see from there. But the viewing angle will likely be poor.

5. Get one of the less than optimal spots around the lagoon that do not require reservations but also do not let you see the show from the front.

See viewing tips World of Color Viewing Tips and

If you are unable to obtain Disney’s FASTPASS tickets or reserve dinner packages for “World of Color,” you may still view the show from other viewing locations on the boardwalk side of Paradise Bay.

Disney's FAQs on World of Color

Will I be able to see World of Color without a Fastpass or reservation?

Maybe. It appears you can only for the unscheduled third show at 11:30. And you may be able to see it around Paradise Bay as described in the previous section.

It is entirely possible that after interest dies down over the first year the Fastpass may be dropped and anyone can see the show who is willing to wait - similar to Fantasmic at DL.

How are WOC Fastpasses distributed?

The WOC Fastpass is a reservation system similar to regular Fastpass. DCA will initially employ Fastpass machines at Grizzly River Run to distribute WOC Fastpasses.

Note that WOC Fastpass was originally called Showpass. That name was dropped but you may still see "Showpass" in some parts of this thread and others for awhile.

As reported by Al Lutz:

While the creative types begin a long winter of testing and adjusting on all of their new toys out in the lagoon, it's the logistical planning of getting nearly 1 Million Annual Passholders in to see the show, plus plenty of the bigger spending tourists staying in Disney's hotels. The plan to create a new show ticketing system called Showpass continues to move forward, as Mary Niven, the Vice President of DCA, and her team feel that's the only way to prevent AP's from camping out in the amphitheater all day long this spring and summer.

The Showpass concept has been tweaked a bit however, since the price tag to reinstall the Fastpass machines at It's Tough To Be A Bug came in higher than first thought. The new plan will instead use the existing machines at Grizzly River Run's Fastpass area. Those machines will be spitting out thousands of World of Color Showpasses once DCA opens for the morning. By mid day the Showpasses will all be distributed, and then the machines will be switched over to distribute Grizzly River Run Fastpass again. If the Showpass concept proves that it works through the summer, then they may spend the cash to install a more permanent Showpass setup in the Tough To Be A Bug area.

How does the WOC Fastpass viewing section using colors and letters work?

The FASTPASS tickets are for a particular colored section. Apparently the color sections are changed randmomly each night so you never know exactly where you will be standing.

Will WOC Fastpass distribution interfere with GRR Fastpass distribution?

Yes but not that much - typically just early in the morning. See previous FAQ on WOC Fastpass.

Will World of Color be visible from the Disney hotels?

In the new DVC area of the Grand Californian Hotel (GCH) a World of Color viewing area has been constructed. It is not clear which DLR hotel guests might be allowed to use this viewing area. It seems likely to me this will be restricted to DVC members and possibly concierge guests.

Others staying at the GCH with views of the Paradise Pier Lagoon should be able to see the show from their room. It would seem likely Disney would deliver music from the show to the hotel rooms through the television system.

For GCH rooms that might have a view of the lagoon check the Grand Californian Super Thread.

How does World of Color impact DCA rides?

World of Color uses its own lighting and projections, so other light sources around Paradise Pier need to be dimmed or turned off entirely. Most of the rides around PP are closed at 7:45-8PM.

From Disney's FAQs on World of Color

Will some attractions close early during World of Color?
Similar to Fantasyland attractions and Mickey's Toontown closing prior to fireworks, some attractions will close prior to the first World of Color show. These include:

Games of the Boardwalk
California Screamin'
Golden Zephyr
King Triton's Carousel
Jumpin' Jellyfish
Maliboomer
Mickey's Fun Wheel
Mulholland Madness
Silly Symphony Swings
Toy Story Mania!

How will World of Color impact DCA crowds and general DLR crowds?

DCA has averaged 17,000 visitors per day in recent years. WoC brings in thousands of visitors in the morning to get Fastpasses and 12,000+ visitors at night to see the show when there are three showings (4000+ each).

Crowds will be especially bad during times when Southern California AP holders are not blocked out, and especially, especially bad in June and August this year during non-blockout times. See Understanding AP Blockouts and Impact on Crowds.

Will World of Color show nightly in off-season?

No one knows yet but probably not. This situation will not come up until early September after Labor Day when off-season begins. Based on DLR's past it is likely that WoC will show only on weekends during off-season. See What You Should Know About Off-Season at DLR.

What is Glow Fest?

Al Lutz describes Glow Fest as a location where those waiting in line for WOC are directed and entertainment is offered during the waiting time. This entertainment is called Glow Fest. Apparently it will happen in Sunshine Plaza and/or Hollywood Pictures Backlot.

From this link

While “World of Color” brings a whole lot of color to the Paradise Pier section of the Park, you will find bright lights and beams of color in Sunshine Plaza and the Hollywood Backlot at this summer’s Glow Fest.

Glow Fest begins with the sound of drums and powerful rhythms that will draw you to Sunshine Plaza. An electric energy fills the evening air. As the sun goes down, colors burst to life and music starts to play from a brightly-lit stage that seems to glow. Dancers and world music performers create a fun vibe that you will only find at Disney California Adventure park.

During Summer Nightastic! the daily experience takes center stage in Sun Plaza from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. and continues in the Hollywood Backlot until Park closing, so it’s the perfect thing to check out with your family, or if you’re just looking for a fun way to cap your night.

From MousePlanet http://www.mouseplanet.com/9281/Disneyland_Resort_Update#news3

Glow Fest is DCA's effort to draw attention—and hopefully crowds—to the east side of the park and to the Hollywood Pictures Backlot District while the west side and Paradise Pier area gear up for the nightly World of Color. Glow Fest begins in the Sun Plaza each night around 6:00, with "world cultural" musicians "Glow Dancers" and "Color Sprites" performing on a stage that looks to have been borrowed from the 1970s. As dusk falls, the crowd can participate in a performance Disney calls "drumming down the sun," using drums built into the base of the stage. Disneyland Resort Director of Entertainment Development Doug McIntyre characterizes the performances as a "ritual experience" celebrating the transition from day to night.

Once the sun sets, a DJ in a Volkswagen bus will lead a procession into the Hollywood Pictures Backlot, which will be turned into a street-sized dance club. Revelers will be able to dance at six satellite stages placed down the center of Hollywood and participate in interactive performance art projects, all while sipping beverages purchased from in-street bars, serving, among other things, "Glow-jitos." Tall light towers positioned along the street will feature plasma monitors at their base, and an interactive station near Playhouse Disney will let guests "paint with color." At the end of Hollywood Boulevard, up to 20 people at a time can dance in front of special cameras, and see their images transformed and projected onto the Hyperion Theater wall.

What is Carnivale of Color?

Carnivale of Color is the pre-show for World of Color shown on Paradise Bay lagoon. Note that it only performs before the first show.

From MousePlanet http://www.mouseplanet.com/9281/Disneyland_Resort_Update#news3

The Disneyland Web site now lists "Carnivale of Color" nightly at DCA, but there is no official information about the show and it was not mentioned during the World of Color preview event. Cast members have told us that Carnivale of Color is a preshow to the World of Color, and will feature two emcees and a troupe of Cirque-like performers, carrying oversized puppets with stylized versions of Disney characters. The show is scheduled at 8:30, before the first World of Color performance.

Also see this post from Disney - Larger-Than-Life Carnivale-Style Puppets Kick Off the Party at ‘World of Color’ Pre-Show

Thanks so much for this well needed thread. Hopefully with this we can all get on the same page, and keep each other updated through one source.

I just spoke to a CM while reserving seating for a breakfast with Minnie, and she says no date has been finalized yet, but that they will be doing premium seating for WOC.

She suggested I start checking back with them in early May, because they will have 30 day notice for the final date so that they can start booking the seating.

I'm not a huge fan of premium seating, but since we'll be there June 11-17, I dread the idea of the fastpasses and crowds for that week's WOC shows. So, I think premium seating might be the way for us to go, just to avoid all the mess and relax and enjoy watching it.:3dglasses

I just spoke to a CM while reserving seating for a breakfast with Minnie, and she says no date has been finalized yet, but that they will be doing premium seating for WOC.

She suggested I start checking back with them in early May, because they will have 30 day notice for the final date so that they can start booking the seating.

I'm not a huge fan of premium seating, but since we'll be there June 11-17, I dread the idea of the fastpasses and crowds for that week's WOC shows. So, I think premium seating might be the way for us to go, just to avoid all the mess and relax and enjoy watching it.:3dglasses
Thanks for letting us know. I am going to add this to the OP. :)

I am a fan of premium everything, so this would be nice if it happens. Just waiting for the offical news so I can call Vacation Planning.

Jack

Just a thought, well a question really. If they use GRR fastpass machines to distrute the WoC showpasses? What will they do for GRR fastpasses?

The few times I've been to DCA and gone on GRR there's been no need for FP. But I imagine in the summer, the parks would be busier and the DCA water ride even more demanded.

Does GRR ever distribute all fastpasses early in the day?

Can GRR live without fastpasses for a summer?

Just a thought, well a question really. If they use GRR fastpass machines to distrute the WoC showpasses? What will they do for GRR fastpasses?

The few times I've been to DCA and gone on GRR there's been no need for FP. But I imagine in the summer, the parks would be busier and the DCA water ride even more demanded.

Does GRR ever distribute all fastpasses early in the day?

Can GRR live without fastpasses for a summer?

The first post answers this, however nothing has been confirmed so it's all educated speculation. Since the WoC showpasses will go pretty quickly, the GRR FP machines won't be giving out WoC SP for that long. Once all of the Showpasses are distributed, the machines will begin spitting out GRR FP again.

GRR does not usually "run out" of FP even during the summer because many people will not grab a FP for evening return times. The lines for GRR will still be long during the summer so either line up in the first couple hours of DCA's opening or once WoC SP is gone, quickly snatch a FP.

The first post answers this, however nothing has been confirmed so it's all educated speculation. Since the WoC showpasses will go pretty quickly, the GRR FP machines won't be giving out WoC SP for that long. Once all of the Showpasses are distributed, the machines will begin spitting out GRR FP again.

I know what is says. But logic suggests otherwise.

If GRR FPs are needed during the day, not night, as you admit, and Woc is only at night. Wouldn't it make sense to give FP for GRR then WoC.

I also think that giving out all the Showpasses first thing in the AM is not what Disney intends to do. Disney wants people to go to DCA all day. This has been their goal from day one. They don't want people to stop in DCA go to DL and return for the show. They don't want people to come to DCA leave the resort and come back just for the show.

Again logic would tell you they should be distributing the Showpasses at a time when the guests will have little reason to leave.

There's also one other dilemma. If each WoC viewing will have 8k showpasses, and they have 2 or 3 shows. It will take a long time for guests to pick up the 16 or 24k passes. There are lot less FP machines than their are lanes into the park. The line of 10,000 guests waiting to get the showpasses will strech around GRR through Condor flats and to the DCA gate.

I know what is says. But logic suggests otherwise.

If GRR FPs are needed during the day, not night, as you admit, and Woc is only at night. Wouldn't it make sense to give FP for GRR then WoC.

I also think that giving out all the Showpasses first thing in the AM is not what Disney intends to do. Disney wants people to go to DCA all day. This has been their goal from day one. They don't want people to stop in DCA go to DL and return for the show. They don't want people to come to DCA leave the resort and come back just for the show.

Again logic would tell you they should be distributing the Showpasses at a time when the guests will have little reason to leave.

There's also one other dilemma. If each WoC viewing will have 8k showpasses, and they have 2 or 3 shows. It will take a long time for guests to pick up the 16 or 24k passes. There are lot less FP machines than their are lanes into the park. The line of 10,000 guests waiting to get the showpasses will strech around GRR through Condor flats and to the DCA gate.
You bring up some good points and as DLR29 says it is all speculation right now. In the summer GRR does run out of FPs but usually not until late afternoon. However, the whole idea of SP seems to be to get them out in the morning. And, yes, 18,000 SPs will take a long, long time to distribute. If they do WoC SP and not GRR FP, that will really muck things up this summer because the ToT FP machines are also down. :crazy2:. Should be interesting...

Let's do some math. :teacher: How long will it take to give out 18,000 SPs?

I cannot remember the exact number of FP machines at GRR but it seems like 8 is a common number. Let us use that. How long to get each SP? Well, there will be some guests who are FP experts and some who are not. I would say 15 seconds per SP is reasonable and maybe optimistic when you account for non-experts, time it takes after one person finishes and the next one to walk up.

Lets assumes that as Al Lutz says 1000 SPs will go to VGC and concierge guests, and another 1000 will go to dining packages. So the GRR machines will need to give out 7000 SPs per show. With two shows per night there are 14000 SPs to distribute. My math tells me it will take 7.5 hours to distribute all the SPs. Wow.

You bring up some good points and as DLR29 says it is all speculation right now. In the summer GRR does run out of FPs but usually not until late afternoon. However, the whole idea of SP seems to be to get them out in the morning. And, yes, 18,000 SPs will take a long, long time to distribute. If they do WoC SP and not GRR FP, that will really muck things up this summer because the ToT FP machines are also down. :crazy2:. Should be interesting...

I cannot remember the exact number of FP machines at GRR but it seems like 8 is a common number. Let us use that. How long to get each SP? Well, there will be some guests who are FP experts and some who are not. I would say 15 seconds per SP is reasonable and maybe optimistic when you account for non-experts, time it takes after one person finishes and the next one to walk up.

Lets assumes that as Al Lutz says 1000 SPs will go to VGC and concierge guests, and another 1000 will go to dining packages. So the GRR machines will need to give out 7000 SPs per show. With two shows per night there are 14000 SPs to distribute. My math tells me it will take 7.5 hours to distribute all the SPs. Wow.

WOW, it will be interesting logistics.

Jack

I redid you calculations replacing the time interval to get the SP as 10seconds instead of 15 and got that it would take just under 5 hours to distribute in that case. So I'm thinking we're going to see somewhere in between around 6 hours. So if DCA opens at 9, SP will be all gone by 3PM and the line is going to be enormous.

As for using the GRR FP machines for GRR first, it just doesn't make sense because if you give out GRR FP for only 3 hours and start SP distribution at 12, they won't be finished giving out the SP until almost show time. I'm pretty sure WoC is taking priority over GRR this summer. For Disney's sake, GRR's long line in the summer is MUCH less of a hassle than WoC crowd control.

Plus, delaying the SP distribution will only make the line grow longer and longer. You would have people getting in line at 9AM and waiting until 12 just to get the SP. This would also cause parties to save one spot while the rest of the party goes off and does something. It's just a lot easier to start distributing immediately. It makes me wonder if perhaps they will start before the park opens at 8 just to get people moving. :confused3

We will just have to wait and see.

Great thread. Thanks to everyone who as contributed. Especially appreciate the heads up about the dinner packages. We arrive June 17th and after reading the calculations for how long it will take to hand out show passes, we are going to buy a dinner package!

If this is what they end up doing, it's very unfortunate and completely geared towards students and vacationers.

The use of showpass COMPLETELY eliminates any local DL go-er who has a job or other daytime responsibilities from seeing WoC... at all.

I think that they should have the SP machines kick out tickets at various times of the day, so if someone comes to the Park mid-day or evening, they can see the show.

- Dreams

If this is what they end up doing, it's very unfortunate and completely geared towards students and vacationers.

The use of showpass COMPLETELY eliminates any local DL go-er who has a job or other daytime responsibilities from seeing WoC... at all.

I think that they should have the SP machines kick out tickets at various times of the day, so if someone comes to the Park mid-day or evening, they can see the show.

- Dreams
Well, if it takes 7.5 hours to give out all the SPs they will kick out tickets and various times of the day. Basically all day long.

I'm glad they're doing Showpass. As a vacationer, I appreciate them seemingly doing something to help us out. ;) Although I plan on using the dining package when we go in July.

Well, if it takes 7.5 hours to give out all the SPs they will kick out tickets and various times of the day. Basically all day long.

Yes, but with the above described system, f you aren't in (a VERY long) line 1st thing - you're out of luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter