World of Disney in NYC closing in 2010

So sorry to hear that. I took my son school clothes shopping at our favorite mall in the Buffalo area yesterday and was shocked to see that the Disney Store was boarded over. Apparently they closed it about a month ago. I was so depressed I had to head right across the hall to Godiva's for truffles!

That stinks! We love going there. DH works in the city and I love being able to send him in there when I "need" stuff.

It is a must visit for us every time we go into the city. We even bring pins to trade. This is disturbing news indeed. What is going on with Disney these days.? Don't they know we need our Dis fix away from the parks as well? Geez.

The World of Disney store in NYC is closing in 2010 when the lease is up. It will be replaced somewhere else in the city with a Disney Store chain store, which means you won't be able to get park merchandise there anymore. I'm so disappointed, I always stop in there when I have to work in the city. :sad2:

We don't know what the Disney Stores will offer in 2010.

We don't know exactly what Disney will decide regarding this closure in the next year or so.

traditionally, disney store merchandise has been a completely separate line of merchandise from theme park merchandise. in fact, NYC WOD even sold some items that are exclusive to Disney Theatrical and can only normally be purchased either at the shows themselves or through other very limited channels.

way back in the day, it was actually a standard Disney store. Disney had a few in Manhattan alone (5th Ave, Columbus Ave, 42nd Street (then The Lion King). Subsequently they closed all the stores in NYC but kept the 5th ave building until it re-opened as the only WOD store outside of the resorts.

NYC has been like a 3rd home to Disney. It would definitely be a loss if what is said is true.

Since this isn't really a theme parks issue, I've moved this thread to the Rumors and News board. :)

It is a must visit for us every time we go into the city. We even bring pins to trade. This is disturbing news indeed. What is going on with Disney these days.? Don't they know we need our Dis fix away from the parks as well? Geez.

They probably hope you'll go more often to the resorts to shop :)

Btw, maybe a little OT, but has anyone been to Disney's Soda Fountain and Studio Store in Hollywood? Is that one still open?

This is so sad!! I can't imagine why they are doing this. Is the economy that bad?!:sad1: It will be missed.

It was reported in the NY Post yesterday that they are looking at a space in the Times Square area to open a new World of Disney store.

Although the cost would be prohibitive, I'm surprised Disney hasn't announced a DVC hotel to be built in NYC over the next five years. I can't understand why they don't have a greater presence in the largest city in the US. Surely families would go there as part of the DVC, and Disney could do an amazing job with such a property... then install the WoD off the lobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter