World of Disney - NYC - Closing It's Doors

This does not surprise me.

DH and I were in Manhattan july 4th weekend and we walked over to the store on the 4th.

In past trips I could have spent HOURS in there looking at all the unique treasures this store offered.

We tried to find something great.....tried very hard. The best I came up with was a Mickey Antenea topper with the Statue of Liberty crown.

The bathroom area was dirty - broken doors - locks missing so the doors would not stay closed - walls in need of a fresh coat of paint.

It was like shopping anywhere at WDW - everything is the same - nothing new and special.

I know, I know....you guys tell me all the time. Disney is a business. Disney SHOULD be making money any way it can. Disney is responsible to it's shareholders.

I just miss the days where you could go into a store and see things unique to that shopping experience. Heck - I could easily spend hours shopping at the resort shops of YC, BC and BWI. Now it's all the same.

Fond Farewell - NY World Of Disney. Those responsible for your care and upkeep failed you.....not your loyal customers.

You can definately attribute part of the blame on the insane NYC rent prices, even in a down market (yes, NYC is in a down market commercially, residential varies depending on location and price), landlords seem to want to hold the line on the rent prices. There are actually a quite a few open store fronts (and big ones at that) on the upper 5th avenue area near where Apple and Disney are.

I seem to recall this news being announced months ago (if not over a year). Disney is looking to close this location, and open up a brand new one in Times Square, where the rent is (a bit) cheaper, and it will more likely encounter larger traffic from tourists.

That's a bummer! I thought they were just moving to a new location but from the sounds of that article, even if they find a new spot it's not going to be WoD anymore, just a regular Disney Store.:sad1:

That's a bummer! I thought they were just moving to a new location but from the sounds of that article, even if they find a new spot it's not going to be WoD anymore, just a regular Disney Store.:sad1:

At this point considering Disney now once again owns the Disney Stores, it really wouldn't matter. When Disney sold off their Disney Stores to the Children's Place, the kept this store in their holdings offering official Disney merchandise and it reported directly to Disney Corporate. Since all existing Disney Stores now report back to corporate anyway the variance would be less noticeable.

Have to say, I have been both to the WoD store in NY a few times recently, and the quantity of the merchandise - particularly men's apparal - has been pretty much non-existant.

Sadly, this is also the case for the UK Disney Stores. So in reality now, if I want a Disney T-shirt, or Sweatshirt, I have to go to one of the theme parks... Not really a good option

At least I'll have my NYC Mickey Elf to remind me of that magical store. When you exited, an employee would sprinkle pixie dust in your shopping bag and make you smile before you opened the doors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter