World of Disney, NYC opening date

annmorr

Mouseketeer
Has anyone heard the date of the official grand opening of the World of Disney store in Times Square... and if there will be a soft opening prior? I'll be in NY on Tues the 26th and hoped to get an early visit there........

There is a special preview opening for D23 members who sign up on November 7. This event is sold out.
The official opening is November 9.

Ouch... I am in D23 and I did not even know about that.

You would have been very lucky if you got tickets. They sold out in about 30 seconds. There're alot of unhappy D23 members from what I understand from reading posts on other boards.

thanks for the info; I'm sure I'll at least walk past it and see what I can see, then plan another shopping trip for after it opens.

It's a new Disney Store - with the new layout/technologies, not a World of Disney store. Opens November 4. The facade is a giant screen with various little Disney advertisements and information on it. Even the blocks down toward the entrance of the store have video in them.

73664_10150284539280285_500090284_15168265_2459868_n.jpg

Its a Disney Store and its open. I stopped by yesterday. Unimpessed - its a toy store - nothing interesting at all.

It's a wonderful store, if you are looking for Disney goods. Not quite as impressive as Mr. Magorium's Wonderful Emporium, but of course, that one was magical. I'm sure though, if there was a way to make it magical, the Disney team would figure out how to make it really come alive.

How does it compare to the old WoD store ?

I'm in NY at the weekend and need to get my fix of goodies !

It's a beautifully designed place with your typical Disney Store offerings and some NYC specific merchandise. It is not very similar to the WoD store at all that used to offer park merchandise and character greetings as well as a lot of high end merchandise and adult stuff. We used to make special trips to the WoD store in NYC to get a Disney fix, now we can just go to our mall store for pretty much the same stuff. We miss the WoD more than ever now!

As with every Disney, it was designed by professionals and geared towards sales. At least it is a little bit of a fantasy land while you are there.

I left the store very unimpressed. World of Disney was a much better themed, stocked, and imaginative shopping environment. I would rather have no pressence in NYC than the vanilla, cookie cutter, mall kiosk sampling that is in Times Square now.

There is something about 'anything' Disney that makes me all warm inside. I still enjoy their old stuff and always look forward to their new stuff. Any store that is devoted to their stuff, would be exceptional. Can't wait to check it out and see if it wonderful or not impressionable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter