World of Life / Microsoft Sponsor?

BlueLightning

Earning My Ears
A friend of mine I went to school with now works for Microsoft, and he was telling me that Disney and Microsoft are in talks about re-opening the World of Life pavillion with a Microsoft sponsorship. I'm wondering if anybody's heard anything about that from the Disney side? He's a very reliable person, and he's not a Disny nut, so when he told me he was just like, "Hey, you still go visit Disney a lot? Well, in the next year or you may get to play some stuff I made down there."

Apparently they're working on doing a big Natal physical fitness thing inside WoL, and possibly an E-Ticket ride in the back. He said roller coaster, but I'm assuming just E-Ticket. I asked him about Cranium Command, but he didn't know what I was talking about. He's not much of a Disney World person... I think he's been once.

Anywho, anybody heard anything about this? Is this already out there?

I haven't heard anything, but might it be that "Bill" and/or the foundation are doing this instead of or along side of "Microsoft"?

I don't think it would be the Gates' foundation. The guy works for Microsoft in the games division... so Microsoft's got to be involved somehow.

I think it could be great fit. Actually, Microsoft anywhere in Epcot would be a great fit.
Alas, poor Wonders of Life pavilion. My 18 year old DD STILL talks about how that was her favorite place in the World when she was little. I hope this is one rumor that turns out to be true.

I know you meant WONDERS of Life,but I mention it to avoid any confusion.:)

THANKS for that info!That sounds very exciting.:)

I hope it comes to fruition!I hate to see that Pavilion just sitting there except for useage as a Festival Center.:)

I wonder what that computer guy on Disney's board of directors would say? What's his name? Steve something?

:goodvibes

I wonder what that computer guy on Disney's board of directors would say? What's his name? Steve something?

right now he'd probably say something like "as long as its not that evil google then great! they're really evil ya know. dont believe their dont be evil mantra they're pure evil. evil evil evil!"

popcorn::

You think Forbes would have an issue with a Microsoft product that doesn't compete at all with Apple? I don't know. It certainly is an interesting bit of information. I personally would love to see it happen... but then again, I personally love any new stuff at Walt Disney World.

I just wish Mr. Jobs could get some sort of blanket wifi at WDW for iPhoners, as roaming charges for me would probably cost more than the whole vacation should I choose to use it :lmao:

I would be glad to see any sponsership at WOL if it means it would open back up, even with the old rides/show in it. I am still so bummed that I missed my chance to ride Body Wars.

I heard a similar rumor some time ago. But the one I heard is that Microsoft would be sponsoring the Odyssey restaurant. Supposedly, Microsoft's Surface technology would be used to allow guests to place their orders.

Since these are nothing but rumors at this point, I've moved this thread to the Rumors and News board. :)

I have to believe that there is at least some truth to this in terms of SOMEONE is interested in the pavillion from time to time. If that wasn't the case, don't you think WDW would have closed it down permanently (and by that I mean lock the doors, seal the building shut, and not use it at all...or even demolish it)? It was a very popular pavillion in it's time. Let's hope this is true...or that at least someone is interested in sponsoring it!

It wouldn't be likely for the Foundation to sponsor the pavilion, as such sponsorships are more for corporate advertising than charity fundraising. They could do something in conjunction with it though.

I don't know how much Steve Jobs cares about WDW operations and sponsorships.

I don't know how much Steve Jobs cares about WDW operations and sponsorships.

He probably should invite them in, considering the "flop in the making" he just introduced last week. Microsoft knows about flops (Vista), they can teach him how to recover (Win 7).

He probably should invite them in, considering the "flop in the making" he just introduced last week. Microsoft knows about flops (Vista), they can teach him how to recover (Win 7).

I was thinking the other day that two years from now, Jobs will be introducing the next "game changer" - a table running the iPhone OS. And then everyone will be saying how Microsoft had that 4 years earlier...except that no one wanted to pay $12k for a coffee table. But Apple will release it, it will cost $20k, and people will be drooling all over it...until it shorts out the non-replaceable battery.

I was thinking the other day that two years from now, Jobs will be introducing the next "game changer" - a table running the iPhone OS. And then everyone will be saying how Microsoft had that 4 years earlier...except that no one wanted to pay $12k for a coffee table. But Apple will release it, it will cost $20k, and people will be drooling all over it...until it shorts out the non-replaceable battery.

Don't even get me started on it...trust me I could go on, and on about how warped the concept is.

Well, unless anyone else has heard something about this that's all I know for now. My best guess is that Microsoft would use the pavillion to showcase their NUI system (via Natal) with fitness games, etc, designed exclusively for the pavillion. I'm thinking they would run it on a beefed up Xbox 360 architecture. And for that, Disney's probably grabbing some dinero from MS to build a new E-Ticket over there. I just hope they re-do Cranium Command. You could update it with new stereotypical characters and it would be good to go for another 10 years.

If this goes through with Microsoft, I would love to see educational exhibits inspired by the types of things the Foundation is doing... None of the generic "some day in the future we'll be able to..." stuff. This has so much potential to be fun and interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter