World of Life / Microsoft Sponsor?

I would love anyone to take over corporate sponsorship of the WoL pavilion to get it back opened. Until I hear a press release from either Disney or Microsoft (or any other sponsor) I am not going to waste my time speculating.

Wow, I can't believe this is actually on the web. I worked for Microsoft up until [yeah right, like I'm saying that], and I can confirm that this is indeed true. I worked with the team gathering data for Project Natal's AI, and one of the exciting things that Microsoft was looking at was developing an attraction using Natal in Disney World. Disney and Microsft have actually been working together on the Natal thing for the past 12 months, and the pavillion concepts are just one of much more visible parts of the plan.

Natal is very handy for Disney in that it recognizes facial expressions and body gestures. Disney wants to use that for interactive robots and attractions that can see when a person is excited, when they're bored, etc. Disney also wants Natal because it combines facial recognition with speech recognition, which is good for some interactive character element they're wanting to use. The whole thing is tied in with some sort of chip thing Disney wants guests to have on their cards in the future.

As for the pavillion part, the centure of the pavillion is filled with NUI games, while a simulator section is converted to a giga coaster load and unload area. The giga coaster is exciting because it uses Natal during the ride. I know this because some on the team had to work with film of people riding a roller coaster in order to program Natal's AI to recognize what is going on. Now what Natal does on the coaster, I don't know... but it could be commands for the ride vehicle to do something, or it could be directions that the user has to do while riding the attraction, or... something else entirely.

Anywho, I love the fact that this is out there. Just one more application for the amazing Project Natal which is one of the most futuristic things I will probably ever work on.

A gigacoaster with Natal?? I don't see a gigacoaster going in at ALL, much less one that somehow has some interactive aspects to it.

I gotta say I'm a little bit skeptical, but I would love it if what you're saying is true. This lines up with what my friend was telling me. I'm not sure I can envision how Natal would work with a giga coaster... or how it would fit in with the sightlines. There's definitely enough room behind WoL for one though... I checked bing maps, and there's a huge area of land behind it between the pavillion and the parking lot.

I'm assuming they would tie the coaster in with health. Maybe they'll have you raise your hands at certain points of the ride for points or something and tally the score at the end? Maybe have you try to make poses? I don't know. Getting computers running on a coaster vehicle that would be reliable would certainly be a challenge.

Oh, and am I to assume that you're referring to the RFID ticket incorporation being somehow tied in with a project natal-like system in Disney? If so, that would be insane. For people who don't know what project natal is, check out this and how crazy it could be with animatronics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAt0pexaYGE

Wow, I can't believe this is actually on the web. I worked for Microsoft up until [yeah right, like I'm saying that], and I can confirm that this is indeed true. I worked with the team gathering data for Project Natal's AI, and one of the exciting things that Microsoft was looking at was developing an attraction using Natal in Disney World. Disney and Microsft have actually been working together on the Natal thing for the past 12 months, and the pavillion concepts are just one of much more visible parts of the plan.

Natal is very handy for Disney in that it recognizes facial expressions and body gestures. Disney wants to use that for interactive robots and attractions that can see when a person is excited, when they're bored, etc. Disney also wants Natal because it combines facial recognition with speech recognition, which is good for some interactive character element they're wanting to use. The whole thing is tied in with some sort of chip thing Disney wants guests to have on their cards in the future.

As for the pavillion part, the centure of the pavillion is filled with NUI games, while a simulator section is converted to a giga coaster load and unload area. The giga coaster is exciting because it uses Natal during the ride. I know this because some on the team had to work with film of people riding a roller coaster in order to program Natal's AI to recognize what is going on. Now what Natal does on the coaster, I don't know... but it could be commands for the ride vehicle to do something, or it could be directions that the user has to do while riding the attraction, or... something else entirely.

Anywho, I love the fact that this is out there. Just one more application for the amazing Project Natal which is one of the most futuristic things I will probably ever work on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter