World of old fashioned

dvc_cruiser

Earning My Ears
Has anyone done the world of old fashioned on the disney wish . I have one booked for the 9/5 cruise but was looking for some info before the cruise.

My review is now further down the page after taking our cruise on 9/5

Last edited:

What is it?
It's a new Tasting that they offer on the WISH all about Old Fashioned. $100.

World of Old Fashioned
When it comes to creating the perfect Old Fashioned, there’s a recipe to please nearly every palate—and therein lies its beauty. Whether tracing the cocktail back to its origins, with a sugar cube and splash of water, or taking a modern twist on the classic, with simple syrup and bitters, you’ll discover a highly enjoyable cocktail sure to delight all your senses.

Last edited:

World of Old Fashioned
When it comes to creating the perfect Old Fashioned, there’s a recipe to please nearly every palate—and therein lies its beauty. Whether tracing the cocktail back to its origins, with a sugar cube and splash of water, or taking a modern twist on the classic, with simple syrup and bitters, you’ll discover a highly enjoyable cocktail sure to delight all your senses.

Thank you....I had a feeling it was drink based LOL....

My son would love that!!!

MJ

Waiting to hear someone's firsthand experience as well. The few I have read have said that this experience was not worth the high price.

World of Old Fashioned
I’m from Wisconsin and my European heritage drinks this with brandy. It is since been adapted to I believe whiskey??
Do you happen to know if this is a whiskey or brandy tasting?

I’m from Wisconsin and my European heritage drinks this with brandy. It is since been adapted to I believe whiskey??
Do you happen to know if this is a whiskey or brandy tasting?
Based on the description it could be both. As @MrsScooby said hopefully someone who has already attended will soon comment. I know it sold out immediately on our Dec cruise. If it gets good reviews I may try, once we get on the ship.

completely worth it. for us it was an insane value and a great time. I would even say it's gratuitous but not obnoxiously so. if Pradag is running it it will be loads of fun.

we were sad ours was at the cove and not captain hooks barbery but other than that we would 100% book this again and hope to see this expanded to other ships.

we weren't signed up for any tastings initially because they were sold out then a few days before we snagged a cognac I think it was tasting but when the old fashioned one opened up when we were in Port waiting to board I ditched that one for the old fashioned. so happy we did.

completely worth it. for us it was an insane value and a great time. I would even say it's gratuitous but not obnoxiously so. if Pradag is running it it will be loads of fun.

we were sad ours was at the cove and not captain hooks barbery but other than that we would 100% book this again and hope to see this expanded to other ships.

we weren't signed up for any tastings initially because they were sold out then a few days before we snagged a cognac I think it was tasting but when the old fashioned one opened up when we were in Port waiting to board I ditched that one for the old fashioned. so happy we did.
So I have to know. Did they do brandy and whiskey? Wisconsin has been primarily European in design and was doing Brandy up through the last couple decades. I love old fashions and I love brandy but I just can’t get used to the whiskey. So for a tasting I would be willing to give it a try to see if they could prepare it in a way that I might find more palatable.

So I have to know. Did they do brandy and whiskey? Wisconsin has been primarily European in design and was doing Brandy up through the last couple decades. I love old fashions and I love brandy but I just can’t get used to the whiskey. So for a tasting I would be willing to give it a try to see if they could prepare it in a way that I might find more palatable.
if you don't like bourbon do not book this tasting.

I finally did the world of old fashioned on the 9/5 wish cruise. It was in the cove café and done by the bartender that regularly works there. This is my experience and I image each bartender that does the session will have his own twist. Most people wondered why it was called world of old fashioned and after partaking it seems since its to show old fashions can be made with alcohol from around the world. These are the 4 types of base used to create the old fashions. A rare perfection 15 year Canadian stye whiskey made in Kentucky. A Zignum mezcal espadin tequila. A Ron Zacapa Sistema Solera 23 rum and finally a woodford reserve master collection chocolate malted rye bourbon. He used a variety of bitters and sugars to accent the drink. Some normal like angostura bitter to something like honey or black cherry puree. He gave a little of the origins of the old fashion but wished he had gone more into its history. As to if I thought if it was worth the money and if I would do it again then its yes and no. I thought it was worth the money and was glad to try these different recipes and will be trying some mixes I would have never done before at home . I would probably not do this one again next time I will try the reserve bourbon tasting . I would recommend this to anyone that likes old fashions and is willing to try something different. I tried old fashions all over the ship and these were as good as any of them expect a Japanese old fashion made at hooks barbery using a Japanese whiskey vanilla sugar and cherry bitter then smoked it was costly at $35 but was the best on the boat in my opinion. I will be writing a review of hooks barbery and bar soon. I have never really done a review like this before so hope it helped some of you. If you have any questions please ask I will try to answer.

Attachments

• PXL_20220908_014246045_3.jpg
    PXL_20220908_014246045_3.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 57
  • PXL_20220908_014404669.jpg
    PXL_20220908_014404669.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 46
  • PXL_20220908_014408434.jpg
    PXL_20220908_014408434.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 40
  • PXL_20220908_014411896.jpg
    PXL_20220908_014411896.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 41
  • PXL_20220908_014416553.jpg
    PXL_20220908_014416553.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 48
I finally did the world of old fashioned on the 9/5 wish cruise. It was in the cove café and done by the bartender that regularly works there. This is my experience and I image each bartender that does the session will have his own twist. Most people wondered why it was called world of old fashioned and after partaking it seems since its to show old fashions can be made with alcohol from around the world. These are the 4 types of base used to create the old fashions. A rare perfection 15 year Canadian stye whiskey made in Kentucky. A Zignum mezcal espadin tequila. A Ron Zacapa Sistema Solera 23 rum and finally a woodford reserve master collection chocolate malted rye bourbon. He used a variety of bitters and sugars to accent the drink. Some normal like angostura bitter to something like honey or black cherry puree. He gave a little of the origins of the old fashion but wished he had gone more into its history. As to if I thought if it was worth the money and if I would do it again then its yes and no. I thought it was worth the money and was glad to try these different recipes and will be trying some mixes I would have never done before at home . I would probably not do this one again next time I will try the reserve bourbon tasting . I would recommend this to anyone that likes old fashions and is willing to try something different. I tried old fashions all over the ship and these were as good as any of them expect a Japanese old fashion made at hooks barbery using a Japanese whiskey vanilla sugar and cherry bitter then smoked it was costly at $35 but was the best on the boat in my opinion. I will be writing a review of hooks barbery and bar soon. I have never really done a review like this before so hope it helped some of you. If you have any questions please ask I will try to answer.
Thanks for the review....:thumbsup2

if you don't like bourbon do not book this tasting.
So are you saying that none of them are made from Brandy? You’re not being sassy right? I did say I was willing to try it prepared in a different way if they had more options than Brandy. So you’re saying it’s just all bourbon then?

So are you saying that none of them are made from Brandy? You’re not being sassy right? I did say I was willing to try it prepared in a different way if they had more options than Brandy. So you’re saying it’s just all bourbon then?
I had a totally different experience than the other poster (they say it does vary from cruise to cruise)

mine was

a standard old fashioned with blantons bourbon and Woodford reserve bitters (I think cherry bitters but might have been orange I can't remember) and orange peel. actually maybe this one was Angostura. or the rare perfection was. hmm.

an old fashioned with Japanese hibiki whiskey and ginger and he infused the whiskey with ginger as well

Canadian rare perfection whiskey with something I don't remember

Woodford reserve whiskey with chocolate bitters

so those were my 4. it seems there is a wide variation in experiences cruise to cruise (and im jealous of the person who got to experience the tequila one and honestly after reading his review for the sheer variance alone I would book this again and again) but based on my experience, no I'm not being cheeky and my honest advice to you if you don't like whiskey and don't drink a wide variety of alcohol, is to not book this. I don't see it as being good value for money for you. if you go into an experience like this with the mindset of not liking x, or y - pick something else that is stuff you like. at 100 dollars a person this does not seem to be a fit for you. for folks like me who have no **** 15 different gins, 20 some whiskeys, 30 different bitters and 45 different rums in my basement and have lost track of everything else/other liquers and mezcaks and tequilas and Brandies (everything but vodka - probably only 3 of those in the house), something that is a surprise makes sense for a 100/person price point

book something you will enjoy. go to bayou and order an absinthe frappe. or hyperspace lounge and get moons of endor. there are 109 different ways for you to get a better use out of 100/person. it's not judgment, it's value. I wouldn't book a vodka tasting for example for myself. total waste. or even a 55 dollar beer tasting.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your information. I absolutely am going to give this a try. Although I’m used to Brandy I’m especially looking forward to the tequila and rum. I’m also going to have to give the Japanese old-fashioned a try.
I come from an old German and Polish heritage where water was not as safe to drink. Ever since I can remember we always had wine/Champagne with Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner(it was nasty) later they would have old fashions and I was allowed to drink from the melted ice that was left in my dad‘s glass.

Little known Wisconsin fact…
It’s legal(discretion of the restaurant usually available at supper clubs up north) to give your children alcohol in a restaurant up to age 18 and then it’s illegal till you’re 21

I had a totally different experience than the other poster (they say it does vary from cruise to cruise)

mine was

a standard old fashioned with blantons bourbon and Woodford reserve bitters (I think cherry bitters but might have been orange I can't remember) and orange peel. actually maybe this one was Angostura. or the rare perfection was. hmm.

an old fashioned with Japanese hibiki whiskey and ginger and he infused the whiskey with ginger as well

Canadian rare perfection whiskey with something I don't remember

Woodford reserve whiskey with chocolate bitters

so those were my 4. it seems there is a wide variation in experiences cruise to cruise (and im jealous of the person who got to experience the tequila one and honestly after reading his review for the sheer variance alone I would book this again and again) but based on my experience, no I'm not being cheeky and my honest advice to you if you don't like whiskey and don't drink a wide variety of alcohol, is to not book this. I don't see it as being good value for money for you. if you go into an experience like this with the mindset of not liking x, or y - pick something else that is stuff you like. at 100 dollars a person this does not seem to be a fit for you. for folks like me who have no **** 15 different gins, 20 some whiskeys, 30 different bitters and 45 different rums in my basement and have lost track of everything else/other liquers and mezcaks and tequilas and Brandies (everything but vodka - probably only 3 of those in the house), something that is a surprise makes sense for a 100/person price point
Typically I drink brandy tequila rum vodka and wine. But if they are going to make every drink out of Bourbon or whiskey… maybe I might skip, but by the time they get to the last drink I should like that one right regardless of what they make it with!
I don't know why you asked for advice. enjoy.

I don't get humans.
Maybe I worded it badly. I meant to ask for clarification, Korbel brandy old-fashioned sweet is my favorite drink. I see my question as kind of like The pizza debate. New York, Chicago and California aren’t known for the same pizzas.

The brandy old fashion is specific to Wisconsin and it never caught on other places. It's more different than similar to a traditional old fashion. Outside of brandy, the Wisconsin version has muddled cherries and oranges and sprite or soda water. A traditional one is basically liquor, simple syrup or sugar cube, bitters, and a lemon or orange twist, and the only thing that might be muddled is the sugar cube in water if not using simple syrup.

I'm not putting down the Wisconsin old fashion, it's just very different. It's to the old fashion world like the lesser known Rhode Island style is to the pizza world. Differences are welcome.

The brandy old fashion is specific to Wisconsin and it never caught on other places. It's more different than similar to a traditional old fashion. Outside of brandy, the Wisconsin version has muddled cherries and oranges and sprite or soda water. A traditional one is basically liquor, simple syrup or sugar cube, bitters, and a lemon or orange twist, and the only thing that might be muddled is the sugar cube in water if not using simple syrup.

I'm not putting down the Wisconsin old fashion, it's just very different. It's to the old fashion world like the lesser known Rhode Island style is to the pizza world. Differences are welcome.
Right—this pp says it perfectly.

OP if you only like the brandy version, and don’t like bourbon/whiskey, order a brandy old fashioned a la carte at a bar. Seems like a real waste of $100 to do a drink tasting where most if not all of the drinks will be the kind you don’t like. They make the tastings for a big group—they don’t custom make each person’s drinks.

My dad for example hates sugar and only drinks “margaritas” that have two ingredients: tequila and fresh squeezed lime juice. I would not recommend he go to a margarita tasting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter